As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last [Movies] Thread, Part 2

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Aside from The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine, you could toss Carrey's filmography in a landfill and I wouldn't miss it at all. And honestly, I think other actors could have been great in those two films as well. Carrey doesn't have any special quality that made those films require him in particular, although that doesn't diminish his greatness in them.

Considering how many films the man has made, I find the general lack of quality to reveal him to not be a particularly good actor.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    If for nothing else, I respect Jim Carrey for participating in the 30 Rock episode where he parodies the kind of terrible, high-concept comedies he made a career out of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnEUiTbliHA

But wait! I also respect him for giving good dramatic performances in The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine, and (the underrated) The Majestic, and good comedic performances in Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, The Mask (probably his best comedic film), Dumb and Dumber, Batman Forever, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. That's a pretty decent career, even ignoring the few I haven't seen (isn't he supposed to be good in Man in the Moon?). Comedy performing is underrated in general, I think, and Carrey's nice-guy persona and lunatic energy make him one of the better comedy actors of his time. He's kinda like Jimmy Stewart, if Stewart was also a Marx brother.

I mean, say what you want about Ace Ventura the movie, but that is an engagingly weird character, with Carrey somehow preventing him from becoming merely the sum of his weird tics and running gags. In terms of an obnoxious (but righteous) character moving through an absurd world, it's practically the cinematic equivalent of A Confederacy of Dunces.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aside from The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine, you could toss Carrey's filmography in a landfill and I wouldn't miss it at all. And honestly, I think other actors could have been great in those two films as well. Carrey doesn't have any special quality that made those films require him in particular, although that doesn't diminish his greatness in them.

Considering how many films the man has made, I find the general lack of quality to reveal him to not be a particularly good actor.

I will not live in a world without Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Be More florida.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Put me in the camp that pretty much enjoys much of what Carrey has done throughout his career. The Ace Ventura movies and Dumb & Dumber in particular are some of my favorite stupid comedies of all time. It's just fun to watch Carrey act stupid.

Plus for how absolutely dumb Batman Forever is, Carrey was the one shining spot that makes me watch the movie periodically. I loved his Riddler.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Be More florida.

I don't understand.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

Carrey was a stand up comic first, then decided to try acting, did a bunch of nothing parts, ended up on in living color, then turned that in to a bunch of comedies in the mid 90s and made a megaton of money with a film career. I don't think he's ever been trying to convince anybody he's an amazing actor.

• Options

Be More florida.

I don't understand.

Exactly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Be More florida.

I don't understand.

Exactly.

Are you speaking ill of Ace Ventura?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

Carrey was a stand up comic first, then decided to try acting, did a bunch of nothing parts, ended up on in living color, then turned that in to a bunch of comedies in the mid 90s and made a megaton of money with a film career. I don't think he's ever been trying to convince anybody he's an amazing actor.

He wants to be Jimmy Stewart, I think.

I thought Man on the Moon was pretty damned amazing. Number 23 was crap. Eternal Sunshine was unforgettable. Lemony Snicket was a waste of a fantastic book series.

Guy has had his ups and down.

• Options

Be More florida.

I don't understand.

Exactly.

Its a terrible movie, anyone who enjoys it either lives in florida or has some other learning handicap.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Be More florida.

I don't understand.

Exactly.

Its a terrible movie, anyone who enjoys it either lives in florida or has some other learning handicap.

I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    LOOK INTO YOUR HEART YOU KNOW THE ACE VENTURE IS A TERRIBLE MOVIE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

NEVER

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DON'T MAKE ME VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ace Ventura was really hilarious

when I was nine years old

• Options
    Sorry, chumps, Ace Ventura's still good.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh did you guys know that Transporter series is basically the three movies, in a series?

I kind of thought they were going to make it more episodic because it actually does work out as a concept for a TV show but they just can't come up with interesting things to transport, I guess.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Ace Ventura must have had some influence on you, Preacher, because here you are talking out of your butt.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

I thought Man on the Moon was pretty damned amazing. Number 23 was crap. Eternal Sunshine was unforgettable. Lemony Snicket was a waste of a fantastic book series.

The Number 23 was terrible on so many levels.

The basic plot is that a bunch of people discover that if you torturously apply arithmetic to random numbers you can eventually make anything you started with eventually be 23. This drives them crazy because reasons.

I'm pretty sure watching CCT of a gas station would be more entertaining and less intellectually insulting.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Oh did you guys know that Transporter series is basically the three movies, in a series?

I kind of thought they were going to make it more episodic because it actually does work out as a concept for a TV show but they just can't come up with interesting things to transport, I guess.

The series is decent, I watched about 6 episodes marathon style, but it's missing something.

And that something is Jason Statham taking off his shirt.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

In dramatic roles, he's got this unshakable earnestness and guilelessness mixed with the pathos of Pagliacci, and when used in the right context, he can be endearing.

In comedy, he talks out of his butt and wears goofy haircuts.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

The basic plot is that a bunch of people discover that if you torturously apply arithmetic to random numbers you can eventually make anything you started with eventually be 23. This drives them crazy because reasons.

I'm pretty sure watching CCT of a gas station would be more entertaining and less intellectually insulting.

That sounds amazingly stupid.

I think I'll have to watch it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

That sounds amazingly stupid.

I think I'll have to watch it.

It's like π if it were written and directed by a focus group of studio execs.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Watched John Wick today. Was just able to book a good seat before the movie started.

My main draw to this movie was a man avenging his dead dog, and this movie delivered on that.

What kept my interest going, however, was the great action, interesting characters, the Continental, and the world's acceptance of Wick's badassery.

Regarding the characters:
    I wanted so bad for Marcus to come out alive. Guy always looked out for Wick and risked betraying his contract to save him. He was a true bro. At least he went out fighting.

Haaate Perkins. I knew she was going to be trouble from the moment she first appeared. First she breaks rules of the Continental, by trying to kill Wick in the hotel, then she kills harry, and THEN she exposes Marcus. My only comfort is that she gets executed at the end.

Wick was such a goddamn badass. The Chop Shop owner knew it. Viggo knew it, even the policeman knew it; hence why he didn't report the bodies in Wick's house. I liked how he patient he was in setting up shots and also double-tapping everyone he kills to make sure they don't get back up. I was a little saddened he didn't do it with Viggo though. Wick's grief over both his wife and his puppy were heartbreaking for me. Guy just can't catch a break. I'm glad he decided to rescue that pitbull at the end, as it suggests he's opening his heart up again to companionship.

Re: Marcus in John Wick
    Marcus may have considered John a friend or compatriot, but he was never looking out for him until AFTER the rules of the Continental were broken. He was lining up his shot, but once Perkins appeared in the room it became clear to him that Viggo must have made her an offer commiserate with breaking Continental rules. It wasn't about saving John, it was about protecting the code by which the 'old guard' lived. When he saved John again that may have been more personal but it also provided John with a second chance to go after Viggo.
    I hadn't considered he was protecting the code. To me when Marcus alerted Wick to the danger in his hotel room, he did it more out of compassion. I believe his reason for accepting the contract was to either give Wick a quick, painless death or to keep an eye on him in case he needs help.

Also, my interpretation of Marcus confirming that the contract was exclusive, was him trying to determine whether Viggo was going to betray him

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I can see both reasons in John Wick.
    if Marcus shot Wick he would have broken the same neutral ground rules, because he's stayed there himself.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Watched John Wick today. Was just able to book a good seat before the movie started.

My main draw to this movie was a man avenging his dead dog, and this movie delivered on that.

What kept my interest going, however, was the great action, interesting characters, the Continental, and the world's acceptance of Wick's badassery.

I wanted so bad for Marcus to come out alive. Guy always looked out for Wick and risked betraying his contract to save him. He was a true bro. At least he went out fighting.

Haaate Perkins. I knew she was going to be trouble from the moment she first appeared. First she breaks rules of the Continental, by trying to kill Wick in the hotel, then she kills harry, and THEN she exposes Marcus. My only comfort is that she gets executed at the end.

Wick was such a goddamn badass. The Chop Shop owner knew it. Viggo knew it, even the policeman knew it; hence why he didn't report the bodies in Wick's house. I liked how he patient he was in setting up shots and also double-tapping everyone he kills to make sure they don't get back up. I was a little saddened he didn't do it with Viggo though. Wick's grief over both his wife and his puppy were heartbreaking for me. Guy just can't catch a break. I'm glad he decided to rescue that pitbull at the end, as it suggests he's opening his heart up again to companionship.

Marcus may have considered John a friend or compatriot, but he was never looking out for him until AFTER the rules of the Continental were broken. He was lining up his shot, but once Perkins appeared in the room it became clear to him that Viggo must have made her an offer commiserate with breaking Continental rules. It wasn't about saving John, it was about protecting the code by which the 'old guard' lived. When he saved John again that may have been more personal but it also provided John with a second chance to go after Viggo.

I didn't read it like that.

I read it as Marcus was there to possibly shoot Wick, possibly to just look after him and then when he noticed perkins he made the choice to save John. He also showed up as Wick's wife's funeral and seemingly wanted to offer a shoulder for Wick before he was rebuffed.

To me Marcus read as someone who while he lived the life he did he seemed lonely and was hoping to make a connection with someone else. He chose Wick and then chose Wick again at the cost of his own life, better to die for a friend than just live for yourself.

Edit: Oh look there was another page...but anyway:

Yeah, same with a slight modification:
    Marcus was on Wicks side the entire time. The aiming at Wick was an audience fake out.

That being the case him going out like he did kind of irked me. He didn't have a 'uninvited guests' plan in general or a "Well shit, I went against the Big Bad Boss and now there are some strange men insisting I go with them" reaction of shooting them and taking off? In for penny in for a pound, no half measures etc!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I got to see the new hunger games movie last night. It was really good. Much like the books the third/fourth installment are a major leap in quality.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I didn't read it like that.

I read it as Marcus was there to possibly shoot Wick, possibly to just look after him and then when he noticed perkins he made the choice to save John. He also showed up as Wick's wife's funeral and seemingly wanted to offer a shoulder for Wick before he was rebuffed.

To me Marcus read as someone who while he lived the life he did he seemed lonely and was hoping to make a connection with someone else. He chose Wick and then chose Wick again at the cost of his own life, better to die for a friend than just live for yourself.

Edit: Oh look there was another page...but anyway:

Yeah, same with a slight modification:
    Marcus was on Wicks side the entire time. The aiming at Wick was an audience fake out.

That being the case him going out like he did kind of irked me. He didn't have a 'uninvited guests' plan in general or a "Well shit, I went against the Big Bad Boss and now there are some strange men insisting I go with them" reaction of shooting them and taking off? In for penny in for a pound, no half measures etc!

John Wick spoilers.
    It was a bit of a silly thing, but I honestly thought Marcus being so old school expected to just be covered by the rules, without realizing those rules were gone. It was also I believe a set up for a fairly dark ending that they ended up not using with Wick dying.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The number 23 has these small noir detective scenes with Carrey in the 'detective' role, and they are pretty amazing. "I want a noir detective movie with Jim Carrey in the lead" is just the strangest true sentence.

edit: I didnt see someone bagging on the number 23. The movie was shown as a horror movie in the trailers, but its more suspense/mystery. The numerology (sort of a spoiler?),
    barely plays into anything, and its not supernatural at all. It's a red herring in a way. Theres an obsession over the pseudoscience for a bit, but it becomes clear if I remember correctly that numerology is bullshit, when everything gets cleared up. It's worked in well enough
    I haven't seen the film in years though, so I can't properly defend anything about it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What's the consensus on Pitch Perfect?

People are going nuts about the trailer for the sequel in my feeds..which is weird.

• Options
    Pitch Perfect was pretty well received by both critics and audiences. Everybody I know who saw it enjoyed it.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Pitch Perfect was pretty well received by both critics and audiences. Everybody I know who saw it enjoyed it.
    I played my copy for friends, and their reaction in the first 30 seconds was "Oh my god, this isn't Glee is it? *groan*"

By the end they were unironically cheering for both teams to win.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    When Pitch Perfect was first being marketed, it looked to me like precisely the kind of thing that should've been awful. But instead it just worked and was good.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    When Pitch Perfect was first being marketed, it looked to me like precisely the kind of thing that should've been awful. But instead it just worked and was good.

Pitch Perfect was a fun movie that I'll never admit to having saved on my DVR.

• Options
    Whoa now, you guys are making it sound like Spice World.

I was like everyone else who thought it was just a Glee knock off.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Whoa now, you guys are making it sound like Spice World.

I was like everyone else who thought it was just a Glee knock off.
    It's a Glee knockoff in that it's got young people singing arrangements of pop songs. Where Glee is overbearing in its earnest attempts to be socially conscious, Pitch Perfect just substitutes it with fart jokes and things like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7BXr4Zzlkw

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I got to see the new hunger games movie last night. It was really good. Much like the books the third/fourth installment are a major leap in quality.

I haven't seen the new movie, but I just wanted to point out that this is very much not the majority opinion as regards the books.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »

I haven't seen the new movie, but I just wanted to point out that this is very much not the majority opinion as regards the books.

To each his own I guess. I liked the third book much better than the first two.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »

To each his own I guess. I liked the third book much better than the first two.

Same here, though it does seem to be an unpopular opinion.

Where does the movie cut off?

This discussion has been closed.