As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prejudice and Discrimination [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am wondering if we should take our kids to a therapist or something for like 1 session? Like, I know what they are doing is p normal for their age but it would still be good to see if there was a more optimal way to approach our parenting or get some new strategies or something. idk.

If there is dysfunction in the household, a family therapist may not be a bad idea.

I would avoid thinking that "the kids may need to see someone" in this context - think more like you said in the last sentence about seeking a better approach towards parenting and be open to them maybe saying the problem isn't 100% the kids.

There is value in getting outside opinions and observations on the family dynamic, if you are open to hearing things you may not like and are willing to work at it.

There's not really dysfunction, and like I said previously I know what they are doing is fairly normal so it would be more for us to improve as parents. I just don't know much about whether such a consult would be beneficial or if they only want to see you if there's a real issue going on.

@spool32 @Belasco32 @riemannlives @gonmun @‌ other parents

your thoughts please

assume that money doesn't really factor in here

several of you asked what the specific issues were so I added them here. thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!

minishark #1 is generally OK but occasionally struggles with sharing. apparently in preschool he has additional issues that don't really manifest at home (acting out by intentionally overturning toy bins, trying to push a kid out of his chair, etc.).

minishark #2 has issues with hitting and also during meal time he can be really stubborn about exactly how he wants his food fed to him and if we don't understand or cooperate he melts down quickly. we are currently correcting the hitting with immediate time outs and are trying to work on communication (he is 21 months) to alleviate some of his frustrations but when the melt downs happen we usually recourse to time outs until he calms down.

Have you tried sign language to help with communication? We used it with our youngest and it really really helped.

Well, to address the things with mini-shark #1 I would suggest keep on course with regards to trying to reinforce how it is good to share. Maybe try and do something with the little one where he the opportunity presents itself. Maybe colouring or drawing and sharing crayons and really reinforcing the whole politeness of sharing and such. That's one thing that comes to mind for me with that anyway.

As for minishark #2 we had similar issues with my son when he was young, especially when it came to food. Time outs are a definite good thing with regards to hitting. Nip that one in the bud asap and impress upon them that hitting is a bad thing and shouldn't be done. Though I will make an observation. Mini-Shark #2 is coming up on 2 years old and as cliché as it sounds, there is a reason they call it the "terrible two's". Sometimes kids don't have a problem but from what I understand this is a point where they are starting to become more inquisitive and observing and looking for reactions. I'd definitely look into maybe checking into parental help sites/books with relation to that age as I think it would really address some of that for you. As well, if you have an opportunity maybe ask a therapist about it. Don't necessarily make it an appointment for the little one to see them but maybe bring up the issue and see if they have some suggestions.

Main key for all this is to try and do as much positive reinforcement as you can. Accentuate the good while trying to still dealing with the bad stuff appropriately.

Yeah, the thing that sucks with #1 is most of the behavior happens when we are not around. I had a talk with him today about how just because Mom and Dad aren't there doesn't mean it is OK to stop sharing or be mean to other kids. I dunno. He has a stress ball at home that he likes to squeeze when he gets upset so we are going to let him bring it to preschool and see if that helps. We will definitely keep working on it at home though!

Re: #2 yeah I get that it's a normal phase, we just never had to really deal with it with #1 and I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to work through it. I will try and look into some websites/books, I'm just nervous about credibility on the internet, yknow?

Thanks for the advice!

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My cat is currently sleeping chillin' on my daughter's stuffed-elephant toy.

elephant_kittah.jpg

She thinks this is hilarious. I can't really disagree. It amuses me too.

Adorbs.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm not ashamed of trying to bone i am ashamed of not having the social grace to go from 'these people at work seem to think i'm cool and vice versa, don't young kids text each other and shit' and not being able to gracefully ask for contact info

or do we have to plan to do a social thing outside work and when that's over that is when you ask for numbers

idk making friends is hard

why would you have to make friends

surely they are already made you just have to find them

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    hey landshark

first fu I should be @ on the parent brigade

second soy is 2.5 and we def still struggle with hitting/biting occasionally

from what I understand this is fairly typical because kids dont have the tools to a) express themselves wthe way theyd like and b) theyre. still learning to deal with emotions

so absolutely curb the behavior with an immediate time out if they hit, and if they seem to be getting frustrated try to help them either talk about it or redirect them to something else

but also dont feel like youre raising a little sociopath
    but if you are make sure its the good kind like the supernatural brothers or sherlock holmes

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    desc I spoke with Shivahn and she is 100% behind you roleplaying a teenage Monsterfart

prepare your poetry journal

I dunno if it's because i never watched Buffy or what but monster hearts seems fundamentally hard to imagine playing

Oof

Monsterhearts is less Buffy (that'd be Monster of the Week) and more, uh, Twilight? Jennifer's Body? There's definitely some Buffy elements in there but I think the main idea is that you're all just gross teenagers who are manifesting their teen issues through the lens of being shitlord monsters who turn into werewolves and seals and shit

The alternative is to play the Dark Ages playtest, as matriarchal horse-lords

as Shivahn put it, "SEX RIDERS OF SOUTHERN FRANCE"

• Options
    hey landshark

first fu I should be @ on the parent brigade

second soy is 2.5 and we def still struggle with hitting/biting occasionally

from what I understand this is fairly typical because kids dont have the tools to a) express themselves wthe way theyd like and b) theyre. still learning to deal with emotions

so absolutely curb the behavior with an immediate time out if they hit, and if they seem to be getting frustrated try to help them either talk about it or redirect them to something else

but also dont feel like youre raising a little sociopath

NO FUCK YOU YOU DIDN'T @ ME ON THE NEW MOBA GAME

YOU THOUGHT I FORGOT?

A SHARK NEVER FORGETS

also ps thanks for the advice

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    chu mention how convenient it would be to have each other's numbers for work related reasons

then sneak in the ol 'hey' text.

SINGLE Y CHU! THIS IS KEY!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    i'm not ashamed of trying to bone i am ashamed of not having the social grace to go from 'these people at work seem to think i'm cool and vice versa, don't young kids text each other and shit' and not being able to gracefully ask for contact info

or do we have to plan to do a social thing outside work and when that's over that is when you ask for numbers

yes it's p normal to be like

hey you wanna grab drinks/other social activity after work?

ok cool lemme get your number

at least that's how ive done it with my work mates

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    chu you could just ask for it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    chu mention how convenient it would be to have each other's numbers for work related reasons

heyyyyy

*block contact*

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I have a date Friday. So I ordered some condoms and they arrived. Felt weird buying them because it's a first date so that seems a little presumptuous but at the same time, it would be horrifying to not be prepared.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

this

like, asking for numbers without a reason is weird

just like, try and find something they are doing or put something together and invite people

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    chu you could just ask for it

Eddy this kind of thinking is why we had that rape culture seminar

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I have a married friend, one of few female friends (the rest are pretty much her friends or my friends girlfriends) and she always says 'heyy' and I go UMMM for a split second before I remember it's only 2 y's, nothing crazy.

she's away, and I reasonably should have asked her friends for their numbers since we hang at her house and are welcome to while she's gone but it felt too awkward! because I am awkward.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

as an adult I do not ever ask for random contact info without having a task/meeting set up

I also don't have facebook but I understand from sarah that it is perf acceptable to like, friend people and then hit them up on there

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    it is really hard for me to do social stuff because no car but it would be cool to be able to text more bros? contact outside of work

like, two coworkers see each other, oh shit did you see that thing i texted you?

I AM LEFT OUT AS FK

• Options
    I have a married friend, one of few female friends (the rest are pretty much her friends or my friends girlfriends) and she always says 'heyy' and I go UMMM for a split second before I remember it's only 2 y's, nothing crazy.

she's away, and I reasonably should have asked her friends for their numbers since we hang at her house and are welcome to while she's gone but it felt too awkward! because I am awkward.

2 ys is like if we had been drinking and you put your arm around me and let the hands rest on my boobs for a bit too long i wouldn't really say anything about it

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am wondering if we should take our kids to a therapist or something for like 1 session? Like, I know what they are doing is p normal for their age but it would still be good to see if there was a more optimal way to approach our parenting or get some new strategies or something. idk.

If there is dysfunction in the household, a family therapist may not be a bad idea.

I would avoid thinking that "the kids may need to see someone" in this context - think more like you said in the last sentence about seeking a better approach towards parenting and be open to them maybe saying the problem isn't 100% the kids.

There is value in getting outside opinions and observations on the family dynamic, if you are open to hearing things you may not like and are willing to work at it.

There's not really dysfunction, and like I said previously I know what they are doing is fairly normal so it would be more for us to improve as parents. I just don't know much about whether such a consult would be beneficial or if they only want to see you if there's a real issue going on.

spool32 Belasco32 riemannlives gonmun ‌ other parents

your thoughts please

assume that money doesn't really factor in here

several of you asked what the specific issues were so I added them here. thanks everyone for your thoughts so far!

minishark #1 is generally OK but occasionally struggles with sharing. apparently in preschool he has additional issues that don't really manifest at home (acting out by intentionally overturning toy bins, trying to push a kid out of his chair, etc.).

minishark #2 has issues with hitting and also during meal time he can be really stubborn about exactly how he wants his food fed to him and if we don't understand or cooperate he melts down quickly. we are currently correcting the hitting with immediate time outs and are trying to work on communication (he is 21 months) to alleviate some of his frustrations but when the melt downs happen we usually recourse to time outs until he calms down.

Have you tried sign language to help with communication? We used it with our youngest and it really really helped.

Well, to address the things with mini-shark #1 I would suggest keep on course with regards to trying to reinforce how it is good to share. Maybe try and do something with the little one where he the opportunity presents itself. Maybe colouring or drawing and sharing crayons and really reinforcing the whole politeness of sharing and such. That's one thing that comes to mind for me with that anyway.

As for minishark #2 we had similar issues with my son when he was young, especially when it came to food. Time outs are a definite good thing with regards to hitting. Nip that one in the bud asap and impress upon them that hitting is a bad thing and shouldn't be done. Though I will make an observation. Mini-Shark #2 is coming up on 2 years old and as cliché as it sounds, there is a reason they call it the "terrible two's". Sometimes kids don't have a problem but from what I understand this is a point where they are starting to become more inquisitive and observing and looking for reactions. I'd definitely look into maybe checking into parental help sites/books with relation to that age as I think it would really address some of that for you. As well, if you have an opportunity maybe ask a therapist about it. Don't necessarily make it an appointment for the little one to see them but maybe bring up the issue and see if they have some suggestions.

Main key for all this is to try and do as much positive reinforcement as you can. Accentuate the good while trying to still dealing with the bad stuff appropriately.

Yeah, the thing that sucks with #1 is most of the behavior happens when we are not around. I had a talk with him today about how just because Mom and Dad aren't there doesn't mean it is OK to stop sharing or be mean to other kids. I dunno. He has a stress ball at home that he likes to squeeze when he gets upset so we are going to let him bring it to preschool and see if that helps. We will definitely keep working on it at home though!

Re: #2 yeah I get that it's a normal phase, we just never had to really deal with it with #1 and I want to make sure we are doing everything we can to work through it. I will try and look into some websites/books, I'm just nervous about credibility on the internet, yknow?

Thanks for the advice!

I think that would be a good idea with taking the stress ball for sure.

And I can totally see the issue of credibility. I'll take a look on my end as well with regards to things and see if I can find something that would be good for you that is from a reputable source. I'll shoot you a pm in a day or so if I come across anything.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

also we talk to soy when he gets home like, did you go in time out today

and he is like, yeah

okay why did you go in time out

addison hit sawyer

YOU LITTLE SHIT DONT LIE TO ME *slams badge on table*

• Options

hey~

• Options

also we talk to soy when he gets home like, did you go in time out today

and he is like, yeah

okay why did you go in time out

addison hit sawyer

YOU LITTLE SHIT DONT LIE TO ME *slams badge on table*

you have a waterboarding setup, right

• Options
    it is really hard for me to do social stuff because no car but it would be cool to be able to text more bros? contact outside of work

like, two coworkers see each other, oh shit did you see that thing i texted you?

I AM LEFT OUT AS FK

HAY I LIKE CAT PICS TEXT ME

• Options

I AM LEFT OUT AS FK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMkJ87uMBU

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    landshark ive had a lot of children and my advice would be make sure you adjust the cam shaft correctly, this is the most common source of problems for most first time toddler operators

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    @desc @Jacobkosh‌

I am not sure if you've already been batsignalled on this but FFG is having a huge winter sale, quarters on the dollar kind of discounts

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2014.cfm

maybe there is something there you can pick up for the holly-day saison

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Thinking beardy thoughts

Doing mad chin crunches

Eating a beardogenic diet

Trying to get off these streets, man

• Options
    a
    landshark ive had a lot of children and my advice would be make sure you adjust the cam shaft correctly, this is the most common source of problems for most first time toddler operators

ugh the fucking operating manual is in goddam chinese i swear to god

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Not even +1 to tracking.

• Options
    every rare once in a while i think back to that trying to get off these streets, man guy

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    my god, soy is 2.5 already

who even am i anymore

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Not even +1 to tracking.

S-sempai...

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

Bust out that tiny dick and be like

"I don't know how to use this thing, but I got no expectations of you"

Then prepare for the panties to drop

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    my god, soy is 2.5 already

who even am i anymore

not a successful doctor with a wife and family

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Harry Dresden@y2jake215‌ @other people that are not heartless I was thinking that T Swizzle's new video looked awfully familiar, then I realized it was filmed at a place near me (Oheka Castle). I've hung out in the rooms in the video. It's like me and T Swizzle are BFFs.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    NEXUS OPS!

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Just be all: YO, have you seen this crazy video? Give me your faceyb deets and I'll send it to you <- insert whatever social media platform is appropriate

I'm pretty sure it's also understood as an overture for friendship.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    "Harry Dresden"‌ y2jake215‌ @other people that are not heartless I was thinking that T Swizzle's new video looked awfully familiar, then I realized it was filmed at a place near me (Oheka Castle). I've hung out in the rooms in the video. It's like me and T Swizzle are BFFs.

omg you two should get one of those necklaces with the two half hearts

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'd say the beard is going ok, but the unicorn horn you are growing is going very well.

• Options
    I ordered a beard trimmer and everything. Expecting meticulous manscaping if I'm to get my money's worth :-|

This discussion has been closed.