As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games that should of been amazing but failed instead.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My entry into the list is one I haven't seen mentioned.

Enter The Matrix.

The game was so aggressively mediocre and buggy, I think that's why no one mentioned it until now. Hell, I forgot it even existed.

I think I finished it in less than a day. I just remember Sitting there stunned at how painfully unimpressive it was. Plus it was exceptionally short. There was an unshakable feeling that I had been ripped off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My entry into the list is one I haven't seen mentioned.

Enter The Matrix.

The game was so aggressively mediocre and buggy, I think that's why no one mentioned it until now. Hell, I forgot it even existed.

I think I finished it in less than a day. I just remember Sitting there stunned at how painfully unimpressive it was. Plus it was exceptionally short. There was an unshakable feeling that I had been ripped off.

And then after watching watching The Matrix Reloaded, you played Enter the Matrix!

/rimshot

• Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    For me, personally, spore is at the very top of this list. There was so much untapped potential in that game. Procedurally generated, using user created assets. Was such a shame.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Atleast Path of Neo was awesome. I loved that game.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    This is a little pre-emptive, but I don't know where else to put it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASmpwURXRaM

:P

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Meh, while it's cool I'm not really interested in a TPS team-fortress esque game with a Ghost in the Shell paint job.

A single player story driven game in Ghost in the Shell universe would be amazing to me though.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Well, it's Nexon, which is why I thought about posting it here.

The trailer is super-duper nicely edited though!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

As a fan.................my ............ooooh.....oh oh oh.....

It looks like it could be a fun game, but really looks like the anime version of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Fan rant
    Section 9 was a covert ops team. They wouldn't get into major open firefights like that and the one time they did in 2nd Gig was against a group of terrorists that had no augments and had a police hostage.

Togusa would have been nowhere fucking near the front lines of a firefight since he's the most fleshy of the team.

The major's body punches just as hard as Batou's.

A real section 9 game would be somewhere between splinter cell and Deus Ex. Yeah, another The Bureau.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Resident Evil 6.

As one of the forums leading RE fanboys, I have owned and played every main RE game from the first all the way through to 6 with Code Veronica X included in that as well. I have finished 1, 2, 3, and 5 at least ten times each. CVX about 5 times, Resident Evil 4 I have finished at least 40 times.

I bought 6 at release, and have yet to complete it. I've finished two of the storylines, the other two I haven't even started because the two I have done were such a fucking slog to get through.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sigma Star Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pmorrmvVA

An R-Types style shoot 'em up combined with an RPG is a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, the execution was terrible.

When exploring the world in RPG mode, one stumbled upon random encounters every 3-4 steps. Each random encounter sent one into R-Type mode. These transitions were disruptive, rather than streamlined. One was never *really* in an RPG mode, since it only amounted to walking 3 steps, space fight, walk 3 steps, space fight, on and on. The R-Type mode was terribly repetitive and tedious.

The game also loved to have players backtrack. A long disrupted walk to the objective, then a long disrupted walk back to the start of a level.

Such a disappointment.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    Sigma Star Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pmorrmvVA

An R-Types style shoot 'em up combined with an RPG is a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, the execution was terrible.

When exploring the world in RPG mode, one stumbled upon random encounters every 3-4 steps. Each random encounter sent one into R-Type mode. These transitions were disruptive, rather than streamlined. One was never *really* in an RPG mode, since it only amounted to walking 3 steps, space fight, walk 3 steps, space fight, on and on. The R-Type mode was terribly repetitive and tedious.

The game also loved to have players backtrack. A long disrupted walk to the objective, then a long disrupted walk back to the start of a level.

Such a disappointment.

I've learned this is cover for bad level design.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Yeah!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswzriFIf_k
    How many kids had their Christmas ruined by the Atari port?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT0lrm4b2s

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Rockstar Games has some of the finest technology and voice actors, but Dan Houser is a terrible writer, and his plot for Max Payne 3 belongs in the same heap of discarded dumb that the Dune Prequels live in.

I think the games industry would do well to have more writers as terrible as the one that wrote Red Dead Redemption.

Counterpoint:

Everything not involving Trevor in GTA5.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Even though I thought the game was fun enough...it failed its source material miserably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZEYLNg3gs

Fantastic setting, great and extensive RPG source material, emphasis on group dynamics...and it was all turned into a CS-style arena shooter. :cry:

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

It looks like it could be a fun game, but really looks like the anime version of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. Fan rant
    Section 9 was a covert ops team. They wouldn't get into major open firefights like that and the one time they did in 2nd Gig was against a group of terrorists that had no augments and had a police hostage.

Togusa would have been nowhere fucking near the front lines of a firefight since he's the most fleshy of the team.

A real section 9 game would be somewhere between splinter cell and Deus Ex. Yeah, another The Bureau.

Don't give a shit, it still looks badass. It reminds me a lot of NeoTokyo (which is super inspired by GitS so no surprise there), Dystopia, and Blacklight: Retribution, all of which are fucking amazing and I'm always down for more cyberpunk FPS games.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    StarFox Adventures.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Don't give a shit, it still looks badass. It reminds me a lot of NeoTokyo (which is super inspired by GitS so no surprise there), Dystopia, and Blacklight: Retribution, all of which are fucking amazing and I'm always down for more cyberpunk FPS games.

Yeah, but it doesn't need the GITS brand, it look fine on its own. That's why I called it an anime version of The Bureau because its a good product held back by poor branding.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The brand doesn't matter though, except to get people to try the game that otherwise might not. The only thing that really matters is if it's fun or not. If it's fun then I don't care if they shit all over the brand and have the Major spraying fuckin rainbows out of her ass or whatever

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Yeah, but it doesn't need the GITS brand, it look fine on its own. That's why I called it an anime version of The Bureau because its a good product held back by poor branding.

Poor branding brought us Nosgoth. Which is honestly a fantastic little game.

So I'm kinda down for poor branding or, at least, waiting to see if the games good first.

On topic I think there's quite a few games that qualify for this list in their launch conditions but then got fixed by patches/expansions. Mostly Civ V and Diablo 3 spring to mind.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It reminds me a lot of ... Dystopia

What a blast from the past. I remember being on their test team. Such an awesome development team that kind of fell apart when the programmer (who was amazing and fixed shit Valve themselves couldn't fix back then) got a full time programming job in the games industry.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

What a blast from the past. I remember being on their test team. Such an awesome development team that kind of fell apart when the programmer (who was amazing and fixed shit Valve themselves couldn't fix back then) got a full time programming job in the games industry.

The same mod team has their own game out called Blade Symphony btw. It's a pretty neat fighter.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Every Tenchu game after 2. I'll begrudgingly allow 3 but it was definitely underwhelming. I'm still rocking the psone discs to Tenchu 1 and 2.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Didn't know they even made any more Tenchu games. I spent so many hours in the level editor of 2. And 1 was the stuff of legends in my school. No one had seen it, and it was rumoured to be banned in the UK because it was so hard. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Even though I thought the game was fun enough...it failed its source material miserably:

Fantastic setting, great and extensive RPG source material, emphasis on group dynamics...and it was all turned into a CS-style arena shooter. :cry:

Honestly, an arena shooter could've been a good approach to take if the emphasis was somehow on a team of runners trying to break into an objective past a team of guards...

Shit, even the game we got would've been really good if it'd had 3x the maps, 2x the game modes and some more options. Though it wouldn't have been very Shadowrun.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I feel like Mega Man X7 belongs here. Early on, it looked like the logical next step, but playing it revealed that was just not to be.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Resident Evil 6.

As one of the forums leading RE fanboys, I have owned and played every main RE game from the first all the way through to 6 with Code Veronica X included in that as well. I have finished 1, 2, 3, and 5 at least ten times each. CVX about 5 times, Resident Evil 4 I have finished at least 40 times.

I bought 6 at release, and have yet to complete it. I've finished two of the storylines, the other two I haven't even started because the two I have done were such a fucking slog to get through.
    Uuuh, I've like only played the tutorial and half the first level but I'll have to agree! All the time I was playing I couldn't help thinking "wtf is this???" :(

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Sonic 3D Blast is one that might not be especially well known these days, but it was probably the start of the Sonic Cycle that everyone jokes about. It was Sonic! In 3D! It was the future! And then it turned out that it controlled absolutely fucking awfully. And then it turned out that it was the only 3D Sonic platformer to ever get released for the Saturn, which was... not great.

To put things in perspective, in the same year that Sega's mascot was starring in this, Nintendo's was starring in this.

Wow, not having any Sega Systems I didn't realize that those were out at the same time. I've heard how awful 3d blast was and while the camera was sometimes not ideal, Mario 64 was amazing.

Well, Sonic 3D Blast wasn't a pure Saturn game. It was actually a Sega Genesis game they ported to the Saturn because the big Sonic game for Saturn wasn't going to be ready for at least another year. Then it got canned, then the Saturn got canned.
    -Loki- wrote: »

Dystopia the Half-Life 2 mod? Oh man, I loved that game. I pretty much played that exclusively after I discovered it until my gaming rig died and I went without PC gaming for 5 years. I checked it out some point after I got a decent desktop again and there was no one online. Is it still a thing?

McFlynn on
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    -crud-

McFlynn on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Honestly, an arena shooter could've been a good approach to take if the emphasis was somehow on a team of runners trying to break into an objective past a team of guards...

Shit, even the game we got would've been really good if it'd had 3x the maps, 2x the game modes and some more options. Though it wouldn't have been very Shadowrun.

I was just thinking Shadowrun. That game holds a special place in my heart as when I was doing a podcast, it was the one game we ever got a dev interview about. Bill Fulton of FASA Studio was a terrific guest host and interviewee and I'm forever grateful to him for coming on our show. It was clear from how he talked about it that there was genuine love and passion for that game in the studio, a real belief in it. I think that was borne out, in a way - it was a genuinely good game on its own merits. The problem it had was that it was not the game anyone wanted from the Shadowrun license, and ultimately MS shoved it out the door to die.

It's also worthy of note that it was cross-platform playable on Xbox 360 and PC (via GFWL, IIRC). MS even managed to nerf that, eventually, with a voice communication platform update that rendered players on different machines unable to talk to each other... although by that point I guess not many people were still playing. So yeah, Shadowrun should have been amazing - in its way, it kind of was - but failed simply because of what it was.

Another one that leaps to mind from the Xbox stable is 2003's Brute Force. I was actually an assistant manager at Gamestop at the time and you wouldn't believe how huge that launch was. That game was so highly anticipated, it was having a noticable impact on Gamestop's monthly/quarterly forecast numbers on its own (and, to be fair, initial sales were incredibly strong). It was set up to be the next Halo. It came out and, well... it wasn't. I admit I had quite a bit of fun LANning it with some colleagues and friends; definitely where the game shone the most. But it didn't last long. It wasn't irredeemably dreadful, just incredibly generic and uninspired, and far from being a tactical shooter, each encounter tended to play out the same way. Not quite the great white hope that MS and the original Xbox needed, but its hype machine had been astonishing.

Jazz on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What was promised: An RPG with Virtua Fighter-style combat. An extremely detailed world with weather effects and 100 NPCs performing their daily routines. A story about revenge and mystery.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbU5hNFKQ4

What we got: Two fights and a big one against 50 guys at the end. Terrible voice acting and a downright cheesy plot. Mandatory bed times. Forklift racing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUARqdPP_A

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is it trolling to say "Diablo 3"? :(

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    @emnmnme‌

How about a game of Lucky Hit?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I mean Diablo 3 didn't fail in any objective sense. I suppose it succeeded by any available metric. I just found it completely dull and unengaging. A personal failure for me. I suppose I regard Bioshock Infinite the same way but I haven't finished it yet so I still have some limited hope that I can grind through the terrible combat to get at the awesome story.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Destiny

Despite playing it a shitton I sorta agree with this. I would say it's more of a game that only came out good instead of what obviously could have been amazing. It also does a great job of gating it's very best content (the raid) so that most people will never ever see it.
    Would Kingdoms of Amalur and its MMO count?
    I remember all the hype before all the drama really hit the internet, and it really did look like it had a lot of potential. And then it bankrupted the state of Rhode Island, and had to be rushed out the doors so that it could make back some money, IIRC. And the MMO will never see the light of day.

The MMO was always gonna be shitshow that was going to be steam rolled by WoW like nearly everybody else. That they bought the studio that had an action game ready to go is their biggest sin in my eyes.

Kingdoms of Amalur was really close to being super good. What killed it was that it's difficulty curve was a horizontal line that never got beyond "tutorial" difficulty. They had intentions of patching in some stuff to adjust that but got dragged down by Schilling's massive boondoggle.
    Priest wrote: »
    Gonna toss a new name into the hat:

Star Wars: The Old Republic.

This was the game that broke the camel's back on MMO's for me. I fondly remember Galaxies, Everquest, and World of Warcraft (haven't played since Cataclysm was released). I endured the pain of Warhammer, Hellgate London, Age of Conan, and Aion.

This was to be my salvation, by reward for having been given a steaming turd in return for subscription money for so many years. But no, what I got was an incredible online single player game. SW:ToR has a great, fantastic single player. Holy hell was it a terrible MMO, however. I should have expected this coming from Bioware, a company with no practical experience in developing, deploying, or maintaining multiplayer games.

SW:TOR was the first modern MMO I played. It sure left me cold on MMO's but it was a bitching single player game that had an annoying leveling grind. Of course, I did that when it went FtP so I think I gave them like five dollars total. Was totally worth that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I guess I don't know for sure if it's really "failed" or not but man was MechWarrior Online a disappointment.

Now, for me at least, I think it could hardly have been otherwise. BattleTech is my jam. Posting on BattleTech forums and playing MechWarrior 4 was my introduction to the internet.

And then I saw stuff on MWO. It had gorgeous artwork, they were saying things I wanted to hear about using the BattleTech universe as a guide, and, most exciting of all, they were starting in 3049, just before the Clan invasion, incredibly fertile ground for interesting conflicts and varying tech levels.

But then the inevitable balance problems crept in, and they fixed them in ways that took it farther and farther from the tabletop ideal. Well, fine. Translating tabletop to real-time isn't gonna be exact. But their solutions kept causing even more problems and eventually I couldn't excuse it anymore.

Features kept getting delayed, pay-to-win stuff started creeping in, and the straw that broke the camel of me ever playing again was when they started adding Clan stuff without any sort of restriction on its use. Playing as the Clans should have been an alien, totally different experience, where victory without honor was no victory at all. Instead they just threw it in as the sort of pay-to-win horseshit they said they'd never do, so they had to make it worse to compensate a little.

Looked promising, was promising for a while, but I could only take so much bugginess, P2W, and missing features on top of trampling a universe I love.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Is it trolling to say "Diablo 3"? :(
    D3 would have been an excellent candidate before the expansion. Fortunately RoS uplifted it to greatness!

• Options
    Shadowrun has elements that would work well in a FPS, but it would have to be thoughtfully done. But I think TF2 already does that pretty well sans cyberspace.

RE5 was a major disappointment after 4, but still not as bad as what 6 became.

The RTS game Maelstrom was supposed to be this dynamic battlefield where you fought for water but could use it to change the battlefield....and then it sucked.

Perimeter was supposed to be game changing and it was......brain hurting (should redownload that soon).

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    GASP. @Casually Hardcore‌ I loved Hellgate London! I actually really miss that game...

That's the thing. There's a good game in there; and I think some other company brought up the assets and did something decent with it. There's even a sequel called Hellgate Tokyo that I might check out whenever it's released. But you have to understand that Hellgate London was suppose to be the 'Diablo 3' of its time. The hype train was supersonic at its peak and then it ultimately just tripped over its own dick. A huge shame.
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

Don't get me fucking started on this one. I was 100% on board with this game during its concept. You know what killed it for me? Look at this Ork:

30.jpg

Why in the world is an Ork wearing a goddamn cape? I mean, why in the fuck.....just....god damn it. Granted, this is just fanboy nitpicking but the moment I saw an Ork wearing a fucking cape was the moment when I started to realize that Warhammer Online was not the MMO we all wanted and deserved.

Because the Wow engine they stole had capes.

A nitpick, but WAR ran on a modified version of the engine Dark Age of Camelot used, which predated WoW by three years; more if you count the development time.

Of course, this isn't necessarily a good thing.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    maybe it's because I'm old, maybe it's because magazines are dead and maybe it's because Molyneux burned us all too many times but I feel like I would really enjoy another Black and White or Daikatana size hypeclysm.

While a lot of games don't live up to their potential nowadays I feel like it's been a long time since someone promised 'this game will literally simulate all of reality' and what we ended up with was an ape pooping on a town center.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of MMOs.

Asheron's Call 2. I absolutely loved the first game, it did so many things right for its time and then the sequel went in a completely different direction and threw most of that out, but it sure did look pretty. Best looking MMO on the market when it released by far, but the game itself had serious issues. When your shiny MMO sequel shuts down while the original game keeps going, something went wrong.

(She/Her)