As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Thank god this was a science fiction movie and not a science faction one

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Reading the last few points made me wonder --

Could you orbit a singularity from within an event horizon?

And I went and looked it up and APPARENTLY YOU CAN!

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/423608/planets-could-orbit-singularities-inside-black-holes/

Man there could actually be planets on the other side of an event horizon.

Do you think the HeeChee just live on space station inside black holes? No, the brought planets with them, apparently.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I think they said exactly that in the movie, so it mainly falls on the prejudices of the audience. Some will just go with it, some will be inspired to look up the facts and some will reject it based on their preconceptions.

I thought they just made up some gobbledygook about avoiding the horrible tidal forces by doing some fancy flying technique, versus there just not being horrible tidal forces in the first place.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

Also, question:

Is it the case that once you're inside the event horizon, any information beneath you in the gravity well also cannot make it back up to you? Like, you can never see the singularity no matter how close you get, because nothing can travel away from it at that proximity, right?

So even if you had a planet, say, that was orbiting within the EH, it would be a pretty desolate place in perpetual tidal lock, correct?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The orbiting article implies the planet would be well-lit, because of photons trapped in the same orbit. If anything the problem would be too much light. Because none of the photons escape until they hit something.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I think they said exactly that in the movie, so it mainly falls on the prejudices of the audience. Some will just go with it, some will be inspired to look up the facts and some will reject it based on their preconceptions.

I thought they just made up some gobbledygook about avoiding the horrible tidal forces by doing some fancy flying technique, versus there just not being horrible tidal forces in the first place.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

Also, question:

Is it the case that once you're inside the event horizon, any information beneath you in the gravity well also cannot make it back up to you? Like, you can never see the singularity no matter how close you get, because nothing can travel away from it at that proximity, right?

So even if you had a planet, say, that was orbiting within the EH, it would be a pretty desolate place in perpetual tidal lock, correct?

I don't think you can actually have something orbiting within an EH. All paths through spacetime inside an EH point towards the singularity.

fake edit: okay so if you have a charged and rotating black hole there might be bizarre paths inside that do not lead inexorably to the singularity. They're not exactly orbits, though:
    Black%20hole%20orbit.png

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It doesn't have to be an non-decaying orbit. Technically, you can have an orbit that decays an incredibly small amount over billions of years, and it would still be within the event horizon of a black hole. I'm guessing that's where the super crazy spinning comes in.

• Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    The trailers made it kind of seem like a straightforward global warming scenario. We screw up the planet, climate changes, a bunch of weird and bad stuff happens like all our food crops dying and giant dust storms. We fucked up, now we gotta leave and try again somewhere else before we all die. Pretty simple idea that anyone can understand.

Watching the movie, though, it seems like they bent over backwards to make sure you knew that it was definitely not that. It really felt like some exec had gone over the script with a black marker, saying "Don't mention climate change, don't mention climate change, don't mention climate change!" It's a fungus virus thing! Not our fault. Keep driving cars everyone, no problems with those, no sir. Everything is normal, everything is fine. This is a fantasy scenario, and not based on any science whatsoever. Stay calm.

The parent-teacher interview scene takes on a weird irony in this light.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I can understand that but "climate change" as the reason we need to leave earth would rob the story of the ticking clock that drives the second act. Coop is frantically trying to find a new home and get crucial SCIENCE! so that his kids won't die due to ecological collapse. Climate change doesn't kill us overnight, or even within a generation. They needed a more immediate threat to provide that urgency.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, question:

I believe you could technically see some objects that were in the direction of the singularity once inside the horizon. Like throwing a ball, earth's gravity is too strong and my arm too weak for me to throw it out into space, but I can still toss it to someone on a roof a few stories up. Photons inside the horizon would act similarly, creating some pretty incredible visual distortions. But the distance you could see downward would be limited depending on your radius from the singularity. The closer you get the less you can see, going to zero distance at the singularity because gravitational acceleration is inversely proportional to distance. So no, you can never see the singularity itself.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    One element of the story that was odd was the cheating on time-dilation effects but like, in both directions.

He's going into space, when he comes back he might be the same age as his daughter a la the standard travelling-wicked-fast paradox thing.

But it's a wormhole, so no. It's a wormhole and he'll take about 2 years to get to it and 2 years back and age at the same rate.

But it's a wormhole to a black hole so time dilation effects do come into play!

But there's functional hypersleep that works perfectly and arrests aging.

But that doesn't come into play really!

And then the black hole deposits him at a particular time and place that doesn't seem particularly significant and his daughter is old now.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    One element of the story that was odd was the cheating on time-dilation effects but like, in both directions.

He's going into space, when he comes back he might be the same age as his daughter a la the standard travelling-wicked-fast paradox thing.

But it's a wormhole, so no. It's a wormhole and he'll take about 2 years to get to it and 2 years back and age at the same rate.

And then the black hole deposits him at a particular time and place that doesn't seem particularly significant and his daughter is old now.

2 years of hypersleep, hours transiting the worm hole, decades on the planet, more decades in the black hole, hours? back orbiting some Jovian body near Sol.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Also the future humans that built the tesseract inside the black hole dumped him out at that precise time because that's when he needed to show up to go meet Brand on Edmonds' planet.

edit: it wouldn't have been good to send him back too far since the wormhole would have spat him out in orbit of Saturn before there was any infrastructure there to rescue him.

DivideByZero on
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

2 years of hypersleep, hours transiting the worm hole, decades on the planet, more decades in the black hole, hours? back orbiting some Jovian body near Sol.

No no I mean story-wise.

Time dilation is a consideration for taking a trip into space to search the stars for a new planet if we're talking a ship traveling at near light speed. That's the source of the whole "You might be my age!" comment.

But the movie eliminates that consideration with the wormhole, then brings it back with the black hole, then eliminates it with functional hypersleep, but brings it back because of the on-earth ticking clock. It's a weirdly inconsistent story element that doesn't need to be so loopy. "A wormhole to a different galaxy" does not need to be how they get to a new planet, for instance.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    redx wrote: »

No no I mean story-wise.

Time dilation is a consideration for taking a trip into space to search the stars for a new planet if we're talking a ship traveling at near light speed. That's the source of the whole "You might be my age!" comment.

But the movie eliminates that consideration with the wormhole, then brings it back with the black hole, then eliminates it with functional hypersleep, but brings it back because of the on-earth ticking clock. It's a weirdly inconsistent story element that doesn't need to be so loopy. "A wormhole to a different galaxy" does not need to be how they get to a new planet, for instance.

It's not loopy at all. Murph wasn't in hypersleep so she aged normally.
    Murph           Cooper
    10 yrs old       33 yrs old    Start of trip
    12 yrs           33 yrs          2 years - Hypersleep to Saturn
    12 yrs           33 yrs          few minutes - wormhole jump
    35 yrs           33 yrs         3 hour trip to water planet = 23 years on earth
    86 yrs           33 yrs         slingshot near black hole = 51 years on earth
    ? yrs old        33 yrs         Returned to Saturn, I think they say he should be 120 at that point, so it's about 11 years later on earth which would make Murph 97, but she's spent some time in hypersleep herself

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I don't recall anyone saying that hypersleep arrested aging.

If anything, Romilly implied that he would've died of old age just the same: "It didn't seem right to sleep the rest of my life away" or whatever exactly he said.

Not to mention that slowing down or stopping your own physical aging doesn't slow or stop the aging of people back on earth, which is the real problem for the astronaut.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    No no no

I don't mean "it did not make chronological sense within the context of the fiction"

I mean "it did not make sense to write a fiction with this many interacting concepts that cancelled each other out"

You don't need hypersleep if the mission takes a couple years. You don't need a wormhole if you want to play with time dilation as a story conceit regardless, you don't need a black hole to cause time dilation on this sort of a mission. Using all these ideas together just made for a weird stew.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

If anything, Romilly implied that he would've died of old age just the same: "It didn't seem right to sleep the rest of my life away" or whatever exactly he said.

Not to mention that slowing down or stopping your own physical aging doesn't slow or stop the aging of people back on earth, which is the real problem for the astronaut.

in the conversation with the daughter it is listed among the things that would cause time to be perceived as passing differently for the two. Maybe not stop aging per se, but to cause a chunk of your life not to happen so it only feels like a few months have passed to the traveler. Like, the oh fuck I just missed my daughters whole life in a matter of weeks.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    No no no

I don't mean "it did not make chronological sense within the context of the fiction"

I mean "it did not make sense to write a fiction with this many interacting concepts that cancelled each other out"

You don't need hypersleep if the mission takes a couple years. You don't need a wormhole if you want to play with time dilation as a story conceit regardless, you don't need a black hole to cause time dilation on this sort of a mission. Using all these ideas together just made for a weird stew.

You need hypersleep so you don't need to carry so much food and oxygen for the crew. More weight equals more fuel used means less range. Plus you need something to explain how Mann can survive on a dead planet for decades with only the contents of a cargo container. You need the wormhole, or as they say in the movie, it'd take thousands of years to reach the nearest star with a planet with their spacecraft. You need the black hole for time dilation, to add the dramatic tension of Cooper being away from his family for so long.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Right or you could just eliminate those entirely voluntary constrictions in order to tell a story whose major emotional thrust is not weirdly obscured.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I also don't understand your concerns durandal.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Not to mention without hyper sleep people would simply go insane from isolation and boredom.

• Options
    There's no escaping a time dilation element when the climax of your story involves traveling across the event horizon of a black hole.

The story needed 20-odd years to pass so Murph could grow up and become a scientist in her own right; it doesn't take 20 years to get to Saturn and we're already using a black hole for the climax so let's introduce the time dilation earlier so her aging makes sense.

• Options
    Not to mention without hyper sleep people would simply go insane from isolation and boredom.

Apparently that happens sometimes with hypersleep too!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kharnor wrote: »
    The trailers made it kind of seem like a straightforward global warming scenario. We screw up the planet, climate changes, a bunch of weird and bad stuff happens like all our food crops dying and giant dust storms. We fucked up, now we gotta leave and try again somewhere else before we all die. Pretty simple idea that anyone can understand.

Watching the movie, though, it seems like they bent over backwards to make sure you knew that it was definitely not that. It really felt like some exec had gone over the script with a black marker, saying "Don't mention climate change, don't mention climate change, don't mention climate change!" It's a fungus virus thing! Not our fault. Keep driving cars everyone, no problems with those, no sir. Everything is normal, everything is fine. This is a fantasy scenario, and not based on any science whatsoever. Stay calm.

the point to it is that global warming isn't the only thing that can cause a mass extinction on earth. Meteor impacts, near by super novas, plagues and a nuclear holocaust just to name a few things that can end human life forever. Life on earth is fragile, it's already had five mass extinctions(one of which from a bacteria that released a gas that killed everything) and just fixing global warming isn't enough to stave off mass extinction for the human race in the long term. You'd need to make sure that we have eggs in more then one basket as Stephen Hawking put it, because the odds are that the thing which kills everyone will be something no one expected.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No no no

You also don't need any of the science / global warming / whatever stuff to tell a story about a dad who pissed off his daughter, and is later forgiven.

If you start pulling threads that cancel one another out, the whole movie reduces down to a 25 second ad for Big Brothers Big Sisters.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Best Matt Damon cameo since Euro Trip.

• Options

For the most part it seems like current climate change trajectories are likely to have drastic and wide reaching effects on civilization, but not actually wife out mankind. We'd adapt. Even if at a reduced population, cities ruined, etc.

The idea here was that the planet was actually becoming one hundred percent uninhabitable.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    kedinik wrote: »

My take was that he could've spent pretty much forever in hypersleep, but didn't want to basically sleep his way towards the heat death of the universe in hopes that maybe somebody would wake him up someday.

Which, to be fair, is kind of a horrifying thought.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    the premise that leaving earth would be easier than switching to some kind of farming inside of self contained structures was silly (they already built the space stations right, that they moved everyone to? Why did those stations need to leave the ground for people to live in them, plus then they don't need to worry about hard vacuum and the science problem of "how do we make earth have a few % more oxygen is easier than colonization), but I was genuinely impressed with how nolan presented the dilemma. He sold the fuck out of it in the movie's first act to the point where I stopped caring about how realistic it was

also the just, pervasive attitude of the public burying their heads in the sand and hoping it all just kind of works out not only was done exceptionally well but it's a pretty depressing analogue for people and global warming

override367 on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

The thing is any climate change would be really bad, but fixing/adapting to the changed earth would still take vastly less energy/effort than moving to a new world and making that livable. Even all the ice caps melting means only a 70 metre rise in sea level. It had to be something beyond the regular climate change models.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Dude.

Team America.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

Dude.

Team America.

Bah, that wasn't actually Damon.

I figured if anybody argued, it'd be for House of Lies. Best episode.

Still sticking to my guns though, because scotty just doesn't know.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    To go back to what I was saying, I feel like the movie could've super easily shown how global the crisis was with just a decent montage. Like, Pacific Rim introduces the universe and gives us the stakes in the first few minutes, and we get it. It's a global problem we gotta fight. But Interstellar doesn't have that moment. We're told it's a human wide problem, but we're never shown that. So while we've been told the stakes again and again, we don't really get a feel for them.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    the premise that leaving earth would be easier than switching to some kind of farming inside of self contained structures was silly (they already built the space stations right, that they moved everyone to? Why did those stations need to leave the ground for people to live in them, plus then they don't need to worry about hard vacuum and the science problem of "how do we make earth have a few % more oxygen is easier than colonization), but I was genuinely impressed with how nolan presented the dilemma. He sold the fuck out of it in the movie's first act to the point where I stopped caring about how realistic it was

also the just, pervasive attitude of the public burying their heads in the sand and hoping it all just kind of works out not only was done exceptionally well but it's a pretty depressing analogue for people and global warming

With big tubes in space you get 24 hours of usable light. The same tube on earth gets... Ehh... Some ratio of length and width and whatever latitude Kansas is at and the time of year... When there isn't a dust storm.

And, humans living in space, it gives us 4 or so billion years to get out of Sol.

They can manipulate gravity, maybe that enables magic air keeping in fields... Shrug....

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Being able to manipulate gravity would solve so many health problems caused by low or no gravity. We'd not have to deal with bone loss or muscle loss. Plus, for the elderly, we can actually give them a -50% gravity area so falling down isn't necessarily a broken hip. Being able to control gravity would be amazing.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So, saw this yesterday.

It was certainly pretty.

But it presents itself as a hard science fiction story and then utterly fails at science at so many points. Just like... starting from the very premise as has been said already. We could build self-contained sustainable archologies using renewable power and hydroponics and air filtration with present day technology is we really needed to. This whole idea of exploration to escape our problems instead of dealing with them is a good way to just repeat the same mistakes on the next planet rather than some noble en-devour.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Being able to manipulate gravity would solve so many health problems caused by low or no gravity. We'd not have to deal with bone loss or muscle loss. Plus, for the elderly, we can actually give them a -50% gravity area so falling down isn't necessarily a broken hip. Being able to control gravity would be amazing.

And yet they still built giant, presumably spinning, tubes.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

And yet they still built giant, presumably spinning, tubes.

Well the tube itself was built decades before they had the theory that allowed them to launch it into space.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I would have liked a few more lines of exposition on why the equation was so important and why it made sense to build the thing on the ground, maybe it was a necessary part of the fiction of Plan A? Just a little blurb like "it'll knock 4 zeroes off the launch cost per kg into orbit" would have been nice.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure they cover that during the facility tour. Coop asks how they could get that many people off planet (existing rockets would never meet demand) and the prof points out the entire facility is a spacecraft. But he says he still needs time to finish the gravity manipulation formula to actually get the thing into space, which he should have done by the time Coop gets back.

But from the cover story standpoint, he needed people to actually work on the Plan B stuff. Which he points out they wouldn't have been there if they weren't hoping to save themselves by also continuing work on Plan A.

But the story begins years after the project first started, so I can't see there'd be much explanation on how the project was originally pitched to the government.

SiliconStew on