As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I think Solas is the only person I don't care for most.

Sera comes and goes.

Also...mid-late game spoilers on that decision I was talking about earlier.
    I spent more time thinking about who I wanted to support as Chantry Mother. My main ones being Vivienne and Cassandra(because Leliana just umm...is a tad too off kelter for me).

Was going to pick Vivienne at first but thought about it and Cass's politics line up a lot with mine.

Also I kind of like the sub-plot of my Inquisitor and her giving up their romance for the sake of the greater good.

Solas is my kaidan. I can't wait to hopefully leave him to guard a magic bomb and make a heroic sacrifice

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The game seems fairly balanced apart from knight enchanter being able to solo the game on nightmare later on.

• Options
    Is knight Enchanter this game's Manguard?

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I know it's kind of early to ask, but are we expecting DLC for this game? There seems like a ton of places we could go. I personally want to see Tevinter, Antiva, and Seheron.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I know it's kind of early to ask, but are we expecting DLC for this game? There seems like a ton of places we could go. I personally want to see Tevinter, Antiva, and Seheron.

It's really likely given the game sold well (is selling well).

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    End-game spoiler - about the choice Dragkonias is speaking about:
    Did I miss something about this choice for the next Divine? I did the support Cassandra mission on the war table, which says you can't support anyone else after that, and then at the end Leliana still ends up as the next Divine. I presumed that if you romance Cassandra (who could resist?) that she just doesn't become divine even if you support her?

• Options
    End of Adamant spoiler question
    Why do so many companions greatly disapprove of asking the wardens to stay? The blood magicky ones are dead. Why are my companions so opinionated about random ass shit.

Oh well. Fuck Solas and Cole, I don't think I have any way left of getting decent approval with either of them.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Why do so many companions greatly disapprove of asking the wardens to stay? The blood magicky ones are dead. Why are my companions so opinionated about random ass shit.

Oh well. Fuck Solas and Cole, I don't think I have any way left of getting decent approval with either of them.
    Getting approval with Cole is pretty easy. There's a lot of choices you can make in the future that he'll Greatly Approve to, and if you just put him in your party and do sidequests you'll get steady approval with him.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Getting approval with Cole is pretty easy. There's a lot of choices you can make in the future that he'll Greatly Approve to, and if you just put him in your party and do sidequests you'll get steady approval with him.
    I don't know. Solas and Iron Bull disagreed with just about everything I did and I never unlocked their personal quests. I don't care for Solas, as I genuinely disagreed with him, but sad about the Bull who I thought was a bro.

• Options
    Also, regarding Adamant
    The reason that Cole disapproves to the Grey Wardens joining becomes pretty evident right away. If you were a spirit you'd be freaked out about people binding you to their will also.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    End-game spoiler - about the choice Dragkonias is speaking about:
    Did I miss something about this choice for the next Divine? I did the support Cassandra mission on the war table, which says you can't support anyone else after that, and then at the end Leliana still ends up as the next Divine. I presumed that if you romance Cassandra (who could resist?) that she just doesn't become divine even if you support her?

I believe...
    It isn't a given thing and there are certain factors that can influence it.

Those factors being not only who you chose to support but the mindset of each of the characters towards the end.

I know you can actively encourage or discourage all three and I guess that has an effect.

• Options
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

I don't know. Solas and Iron Bull disagreed with just about everything I did and I never unlocked their personal quests. I don't care for Solas, as I genuinely disagreed with him, but sad about the Bull who I thought was a bro.
    Solas is on my last nerve.

Here he is ranting about how the wardens are so dangerous and incompetent, and what is Solas' heartfelt wish?

Oh, right, to tear down the fade without considering the fact that literally no one else anywhere wants that or would agree to it.

And people say Vivienne is a monster.

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Masterwork is definately where it's at. You can change the color of the gear as well as throw perks on. For example, my flaming greatsword was not PINK from the dawnstone, but blood red from the special bloodstone that increases damage based on the number of enemies around. I named it Rageblade. You can even use it to change the cloth color on metal and leather armor. Good stuff. What is everyone's favorite masterwork buff? I am liking chain lightning on Cassandra's axe. I also slapped it on her shield. Thunderlord and Thunderclap. With lightning rune. She is femThor. Although 10% chance on hit of gaining Fade Step is hillariously good at keeping Viv alive.

• Options
    Squeeze wrote: »
    Masterwork is definately where it's at. You can change the color of the gear as well as throw perks on. For example, my flaming greatsword was not PINK from the dawnstone, but blood red from the special bloodstone that increases damage based on the number of enemies around. I named it Rageblade. You can even use it to change the cloth color on metal and leather armor. Good stuff. What is everyone's favorite masterwork buff? I am liking chain lightning on Cassandra's axe. I also slapped it on her shield. Thunderlord and Thunderclap. With lightning rune. She is femThor. Although 10% chance on hit of gaining Fade Step is hillariously good at keeping Viv alive.

Gaining Guard on rogues is really nice.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The Grey Wardens were trying to bind demons, and you forgave them and put them in your army. That naturally would probably upset Cole given what he is. That's actually the key plot of his personal quest, his fear of someone binding him. Solas thinks roughly the same. It's not like you're taking just the guys that resisted all the way, but the bulk of the force, many of which were complicit in it, if not as downright insane as the higher ups.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Minor nitpick: I'm a little uncomfortable with how the game so readily refreshes its encounters. Like, saving in an area in which I've had an encounter risks landing my party smack bang in front of/in the middle of a fresh one if I reload the save.

Most of my posts will be nitpick posts (unless they're squee posts), because for the most part this game is fucking godlike.

The primary thing I love about the combat now is that offense and defense is now an active process in which players can actively participate in order to mitigate damage, rather than simply sit and watch an auto-attack. I would prefer an auto-attack function to be enabled during over-the-shoulder control, because holding down a key/button is a little tedious. Also, the reliance on that mechanic means that I often find myself babying multiple party members and that gets a little tedious too.

• Options
    It seems to me like most of the respawning is in the Hinterlands. It's largely not too bad elsewhere.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    It seems to me like most of the respawning is in the Hinterlands. It's largely not too bad elsewhere.

The ramparts in the Exalted Plains are awful for that, but to be fair they were trying to go for "endless waves of undead" it seems.

• Options
    Is it weird that I was happy when I found out you can't induce panic on a corpse?

• Options
    I'd say the respawning there is more or less intended given what your goals in the ramparts are.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Also, just had the conversation with Cassandra in which she tells me that every Seeker has a superpower and that hers is the ability to set lyrium on fire, including that running in people's veins

Now where the fuck is this ability on her hotbar of skills? Where can I get her to spontaneously combust Templars? :P

• Options
    The Grey Wardens were trying to bind demons, and you forgave them and put them in your army. That naturally would probably upset Cole given what he is. That's actually the key plot of his personal quest, his fear of someone binding him. Solas thinks roughly the same. It's not like you're taking just the guys that resisted all the way, but the bulk of the force, many of which were complicit in it, if not as downright insane as the higher ups.
    Yeah well, punishing the wardens is really stupid because there will be another blight at some point in the future.

I certainly haven't forgotten DA:O and everything the Warden, Alistair and Co. went through in Ferelden where the Wardens had been allowed to fall into disrepute.

• Options
    There's definitely a bit of uncanny valley in this game, but whoever did Cullen's face for cutscenes knew what they were doing. Dude looks awesome.

• Options
    Post adamant spoiler:
    So someone was saying they wondered what happened to the Inquisitor's coronation sword?

Well I just used it to execute that fucking tevinter who corrupted the warden mages.

I'm not even pro death penalty but seriously.

Seriously.

• Options
    Post adamant spoiler:
    So someone was saying they wondered what happened to the Inquisitor's coronation sword?

Well I just used it to execute that fucking tevinter who corrupted the warden mages.

Seriously.
    I made him tranquil, he was such a dick it felt so worth it. Nearly every party member disapproved, but hey, I'm now imagining the guy making runes for lowly adventurers.

• Options
    GOD THESE FUCKING BEARS JUST HAPPENING SPONTANEOUSLY

• Options
    Post adamant spoiler:

Seriously.
    I made him tranquil, he was such a dick it felt so worth it. Nearly every party member disapproved, but hey, I'm now imagining the guy making runes for lowly adventurers.

I didn't have that option, no doubt having to do with other choices made earlier.

That would have been a wonderful choice though! Execution was certainly well deserved though.

• Options
    I spent like an hour in the Character creator making and remaking faces when I got this game in the effort to make a PC that didn't look like a CHUD

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Is there a sprint button (ps4)? Everyone in multiplayer seems to move a lot faster then me.
    I had forever bears happen to me today. I fought and killed one gigantic bear on a frozen lake. Then 30 seconds later another one appeared. Then another. At this point I was sick of bears and ran away but they kept appearing, in front of me, all over the map.

Siska on
  • Options
    Post adamant spoiler:

Seriously.

I didn't have that option, no doubt having to do with other choices made earlier.

That would have been a wonderful choice though! Execution was certainly well deserved though.

It had a symbol near the choice so it might be because I'm a mage or one of the perks I picked. It even had a follow up War Table mission.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Tell me about it. Those danged Hinterlands Bears who must have about 5 Million hit points, I swear it takes me 10 minutes of chipping away at their health to finally drop one of them, only to have it respawn right behind me 30 seconds later. Yay.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Bears in this game make Baldur's Gate 1 bears fighting your level 1 party look like weak chumps.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Post adamant spoiler:

Seriously.
    I handed him over to the Grey Wardens because of course I did.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    On the judgments:
    The second judgment I did I had the guy imprisoned because I figured he'd be a valuable source of intel (and my inquisitor's dialogue mentioned something about having Leliana question him) so I imprisoned most people after that - but it never mentioned questioning after that, just something about "lock him up and throw away the key." Oh well. I believe some of them you can talk to afterwards, they get thrown in the prison area, so there's that.

• Options
    On the judgments:
    The second judgment I did I had the guy imprisoned because I figured he'd be a valuable source of intel (and my inquisitor's dialogue mentioned something about having Leliana question him) so I imprisoned most people after that - but it never mentioned questioning after that, just something about "lock him up and throw away the key." Oh well. I believe some of them you can talk to afterwards, they get thrown in the prison area, so there's that.
    I was pretty consistent in handing over villains to the people they wronged.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Yeah well, punishing the wardens is really stupid because there will be another blight at some point in the future.

I certainly haven't forgotten DA:O and everything the Warden, Alistair and Co. went through in Ferelden where the Wardens had been allowed to fall into disrepute.

Adamant stuff.
    Fuck the wardens and their shortsighted idiocy. When a blight happens they can come back, but until then fuck off and think about not being utterly clueless. Their choice was stupid and shortsighted. Especially since they knew there were entities capable of influencing them though the blight.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

ksWkRBs.jpg

He was right all along!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Adamant stuff.
    Fuck the wardens and their shortsighted idiocy. When a blight happens they can come back, but until then fuck off and think about not being utterly clueless. Their choice was stupid and shortsighted. Especially since they knew there were entities capable of influencing them though the blight.

To be fair
    They were like "fuck fuck fuck we're all going to be dead forever the world is so screwed".

Then again, they could've just left a note, like "In case of Blight, drink darkspawn blood...seriously, just trust us."

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I spent like an hour in the Character creator making and remaking faces when I got this game in the effort to make a PC that didn't look like a CHUD

Only an hour?

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dashui wrote: »
    Any good advice on how to build an unstoppable Knight Enchanter? I'm working my way toward becoming one. I just need the metals.

@Dashui, it's hard to go wrong, really—it works with a lot of things. Grab Fade Cloak and all the passives in the spec tree, and Fade Step in the frost tree. The Fades will give you two separate evasion/damage avoidance moves with short cooldowns (upgraded, Fade Cloak becomes a 10x damage telefrag while Fade Step does 3x damage plus chill to everyone you pass through) and Fade Step is excellent for closing to melee, while the passives in the spec tree will deal 20% spike damage to enemies who attack your barrier, reduce barrier decay by 35%, and add barrier for damage dished out. That can start building you a barrier even if you had none, but you should still grab barrier in the spirit tree so that you can start with a full cushion. From there, build as you please—Knight Enchanter has excellent synergy with the other trees.

If you want even more security, you can go down the right half of spirit, gaining a passive that auto-barriers you when critically wounded and another that increases your barrier strength by 50%. If you want a crazy powerful bomb, start the fire tree with Immolate and head to Fire Mine, which can end up doing something like 30x damage. Take one step to the side along the way and grab the passive that reduces cooldowns by 1s for every spell cast, and oh hey Spirit Blade is a spell you spam all the time so suddenly Fade Step/Fade Cloak/Fire Mine/Barrier are refreshing much faster. The passive below that will burn off half your current barrier and boost fire spell damage by a proportional amount, in case Fire Mine was too weak or something. The storm tree offers a passive that boosts spell damage by 5% per 10% missing mana to steadily buff your attack (but note that Spirit Blade alone is mana-cheap and a KE passive boosts your mana regen when multiple enemies are near) and Energy Barrage as a strong ranged opener that looks awesome—though with only 8 slots, maybe you'd prefer to take Wall of Fire if you're going deep in that tree already. You can also upgrade Spirit Blade to deflect projectiles, and while Spirit Blade isn't fast enough for this to be an impenetrable Jedi deflection shield, it can chip back some portion of ranged hits while you're busy in melee. Frost's Mana Surge will freeze nearby enemies when an attack shatters your barrier, and Spirit Blade is a detonator, so this sets up a small non-cross-class combo and hey damage replenishes your barrier (though there's no freeze if the barrier drains out on its own instead of due to an attack).

And if you need lazurite, there's an easy supply to be had in the Western Approach.
    Siska wrote: »
    Is there a sprint button (ps4)? Everyone in multiplayer seems to move a lot faster then me.

@Siska, on a 360 pad, it's left-stick-click, which is normally the treasure ping in single player.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.