As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Football 2015: FSU Stung, Utah In Serious Trouble

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Week 14 Easy Copy/Paste List

HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF
    Michigan at Ohio State (-20.5)
    Georgia Tech at Georgia (-14.5)
    Kentucky vs Louisville (-13.5)
    Harvard (-12.5) vs Yale - didnt this just happen?
    Florida at Florida State (-10.5)
    Michigan State (-11.5) at Penn State
    Rutgers at Maryland (-9.5)
    Kansas at Kansas State (-25.5)
    Oregon (-17.5) at Oregon State

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Arizona State at Arizona (-4.5)
    Colorado State at Air Force (-5.5)
    Virginia at Virginia Tech (-1.5)
    South Carolina at Clemson (-4.5)
    North Carolina State at North Carolina (-5.5)
    Mississippi State at Ole Miss (EVEN)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)
    Washington (-3.5) at Washington State

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)[/quote]

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF
    Minnesota at Wisconsin (-13.5)

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Wait, you missed the wisconsin/minnesota rivalry game? The game for Paul Bunyans axe, one of the oldest rivalries in the country (124th game this weekend), AND playing to go to indianapolis to lose to OSU? And you call this the rivalry week? For shame.

Just more proof that everyone overlooks Wisconsin all the time.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I screwed up picks. Don't post till I fix.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    :rotate:

Edit: So, crazy train thought experiment. Badgers win convincingly Saturday, then stomp all over OSU the week after. Do they even get a consideration for the playoffs or is OSU the only chance for a big ten team in the playoff? I think they've never had a chance since losing to LSU, but I'd imagine no B1G teams in the playoff means a much quicker transition to an 8 team playoff

Veevee on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    UGA and GaTech, both ranked, separated by 8-5 places depending on the poll - but a 14.5 point spread. But then, UF/FSU only has a 10.5 point spread.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    UGA and GaTech, both ranked, separated by 8-5 places depending on the poll - but a 14.5 point spread. But then, UF/FSU only has a 10.5 point spread.

As we have seen several times, Florida State should not be getting more than 14 points on anyone this year. Let alone in a rivalry game.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The committee wants geographic diversity.

What they want even more are big ratings. Wisconsin would have a harder time drawing in viewers. Realistically, without OSU, they'd rather pick teams that would increase ad revenue.

Otherwise, Wisconsin has to kick the ever loving shit out of them just for consideration.

• Options
    The picks are fixed. Feel free to post them. Sorry!
    Replaced Harvard/Yale with Wisconsin/Minnesota

@Zombie Hero @Preacher

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    As much as I love UCF, and think they should faceroll USF... their game last year was outright horrible (you know, when they had Bortles and Johnson) and I'm surprised they won. I'd say they'll probably win, but I don't see them covering the spread; it'll be like, a field goal in the last 30 seconds or something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Veevee wrote: »
    :rotate:

Edit: So, crazy train thought experiment. Badgers win convincingly Saturday, then stomp all over OSU the week after. Do they even get a consideration for the playoffs or is OSU the only chance for a big ten team in the playoff? I think they've never had a chance since losing to LSU, but I'd imagine no B1G teams in the playoff means a much quicker transition to an 8 team playoff

No. They'll have a loss to the like fifth best SEC West team and a bad Northwestern team. No strong non-conference wins. Didn't get to play the good teams from the Big Ten East.

EDIT: I question Rutgers/Maryland's inclusion. Not a rivalry so much as a forced meeting because all the other Big Ten teams have things to do that day.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

• Options
    OK, we have enough of a sample size and I'm impatient and don't feel like waiting another week, so:

Let's open the Penny Arcade Heisman Vote!

Rules: Pick three players for the Heisman, rank them. First place gets 3 points, second 2, third 1. All players eligible. I believe the DAC removed the morality clause, so that's not an issue even if you ever thought it should be.

My ballot:
    1. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin: 254 carries, 2109 yards, 8.3 YPC, 25 TDs, 15 catches, 147 yards, 2 TDs
    Fastest ever in terms of carries to 2000 yards. Has a shot at Barry Sanders' single season rushing record of 2628, though he'll take three more games to do it. Briefly had the all-time single game rushing record. Caveat: typically excellent Wisconsin line. Does not have a good passing game to take pressure off of him. Though it is more functional than that of...
    2. Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana: 241 carries, 1906 yards, 7.9 YPC, 15 TDs, 23 catches, 135 yards
    This is mostly about degree of difficulty. He's almost keeping pace with Gordon despite being behind a worse offensive line and playing the last half of the season without anything resembling a passing game. He is the entire offense and he continues to reel off 200 (and 300 against Rutgers) yard games. Routinely makes me :boggle:
    3. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon: 210/309, 3103 yards, 10 YPA, 32 TDs, 2 INT, 97 carries, 597 yards (sacks included), 9 TD, 1 catch, 26 yards, TD
    Best QB in the nation. Yes he's surrounded by tons of talent and is in a great system, but he does great work in that system. Passer rating is absurd. Just really good and the #1 pick. But not the best player in the nation this year. Settle for third, Marcus.

• Options
    A good thing about all of your picks for heismann none of them are probably rapists. Probably.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I honestly think I'd put Coleman ahead of Gordon. Indiana's offensive situation might actually be worse than Penn State's overall. His offensive line is mediocre at best, and unlike Gordon, he had the displeasure of going up against PSU's run defense this year. Otherwise, yeah that list is pretty much correct.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I honestly think I'd put Coleman ahead of Gordon. Indiana's offensive situation might actually be worse than Penn State's overall. His offensive line is mediocre at best, and unlike Gordon, he had the displeasure of going up against PSU's run defense this year. Otherwise, yeah that list is pretty much correct.

Thought about it, but like: shot at Barry Sanders.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    In like 400 years people are going to think that "Reddit" was like, a person; ie. an author, an opinion maker, and an artist or something. I weep for those times.

@Syphyre

What are the tiebreak rules? And is this the last week?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Way better than the fucking Land Grant Trophy.

Pfaw. How can one hate this?

LandGrantTrophy-2.jpg

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    In like 400 years people are going to think that "Reddit" was like, a person; ie. an author, an opinion maker, and an artist or something. I weep for those times.

@Syphyre

What are the tiebreak rules? And is this the last week?

Next week is the last week (championship week). If there's a tie, I'll set up something involving Army/Navy.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

LandGrantTrophy-2.jpg

That is a pretty nice shelf.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    *looks at the scores*

How the hell am I in 4th place? I have watched one full game start-to-finish this year, and that's one where I was in the stadium. Have watched 0 portions of any game not involving my team.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Mariota will win, and deservedly so. Put his numbers up to the four previous Heisman winners and they are incredible. Only two picks thrown and 42 total TDs. His PassTD/Int ratio is 16, compare that to Winston (4), Manziel (2.9), RGIII (6.2) and Cam Newon (4.3), and he is just as effective on the ground as he is through the air. His season QB rating is currently 2nd of all time behind Russell Wilson. Pass efficiency is up there as well.

I think it will be close, because Gordon is an elite RB (at least at the college level) and would probably win in most years. And I think he will pick up a lot of the votes from the East and Midwest because Oregon plays in that system offense in the no-defense conference out west. Hopefully voters are able to see how special Mariota really is.

I guess I should name a third: Boykin? Do we even need to invite a third this year?

edit: Mariota also has the "body of work" argument going for him. I personally don't think previous seasons should have an effect on the national awards, but it's known to happen occasionally. Mariota is now the only player in FBS history to throw 30+ TDs in his freshman, sophomore and junior years. And his career TD/Int ratio is 7.9 (95 TDs, 12 Ints). His total record is 33-4. Plus he's just an outstanding guy.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    I think this is the first year in a long time that I am not actively disgusted by at least one of the heisman front runners. I mean, I'd love for Gordon to get it, but I'd be happy with any of the front runners winning the award.

Severely disappointed, but not surprised, in the media for not including Coleman in the talks.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5) -- Notre Dame's like 85% sure to lose this, but *unicorns and other fevered dreams*.

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Does 11-0 Marshall crack the list tonight?

Enquiring mind want to know!

• Options
    All signs point to no.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

LandGrantTrophy-2.jpg

I didn't believe this was an actual thing and googled it and what the fuck is this i dont even

This looks like every aborted attempt at making a LEGO spaceship any 4 year old ever pooped out, reimagined in the medium of wood and an unhealthy hatred of fun and beauty.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Still better than the fucking liberty freedom GOP buzzword trophy that's polluting Wisconsin's trophy case right now

Edit: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/24/7274761/wisconsin-oklahoma-arkansas-missouri-college-football-stats
    Thanks to Perine, Wisconsin's poor Melvin Gordon only held the single-game FBS rushing record for seven days. Here's a decent consolation: he might hit 2,500 rushing yards this year. He has a preposterous 813 yards in his last three games, following a 31-carry, 200-yard effort against Iowa. (The Badgers needed every bit of his work as a 19-3 lead turned into a 26-24 win.)

Through 11 games, Gordon has 2,109 rushing yards. Through 11 games. If Wisconsin can knock off Minnesota to reach the Big Ten Championship, giving Wisconsin 14 total games, Gordon would need to average just 130.3 rushing yards per game to hit 2,500 for the season. There's nothing "just" about 130.3 yards per game ... unless you're averaging 191.7 yards per game to date, as Gordon is.

Gordon has a chance to put together the most amazing rushing season since Barry Sanders' FBS-record, 11-game, 2,628-yard campaign in 1988 (UCF's Kevin Smith had 2,567 in 14 games in 2007, but nobody else has come close since).

Sanders' 238.9 average is the NCAA all-divisions record, but Gordon has a chance to break Sanders' total rushing yardage mark. If Gordon maintains that 191.7 pace and Wisconsin wins the West, he'll break it, albeit with three extra games.

That's how incredible Sanders was. It would take even Gordon extra games to catch him, and it takes a player as great as Gordon just to put him in perspective.

God damn that Barry MotherFucking Sanders

Veevee on
  • Options
    Still better than the fucking liberty freedom GOP buzzword trophy that's polluting Wisconsin's trophy case right now

Edit: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/24/7274761/wisconsin-oklahoma-arkansas-missouri-college-football-stats
    Thanks to Perine, Wisconsin's poor Melvin Gordon only held the single-game FBS rushing record for seven days. Here's a decent consolation: he might hit 2,500 rushing yards this year. He has a preposterous 813 yards in his last three games, following a 31-carry, 200-yard effort against Iowa. (The Badgers needed every bit of his work as a 19-3 lead turned into a 26-24 win.)

Through 11 games, Gordon has 2,109 rushing yards. Through 11 games. If Wisconsin can knock off Minnesota to reach the Big Ten Championship, giving Wisconsin 14 total games, Gordon would need to average just 130.3 rushing yards per game to hit 2,500 for the season. There's nothing "just" about 130.3 yards per game ... unless you're averaging 191.7 yards per game to date, as Gordon is.

Gordon has a chance to put together the most amazing rushing season since Barry Sanders' FBS-record, 11-game, 2,628-yard campaign in 1988 (UCF's Kevin Smith had 2,567 in 14 games in 2007, but nobody else has come close since).

Sanders' 238.9 average is the NCAA all-divisions record, but Gordon has a chance to break Sanders' total rushing yardage mark. If Gordon maintains that 191.7 pace and Wisconsin wins the West, he'll break it, albeit with three extra games.

That's how incredible Sanders was. It would take even Gordon extra games to catch him, and it takes a player as great as Gordon just to put him in perspective.

Yeah but imagine Gordon against Big 12 defenses. Nebraska was the team that was good on defense from that conference.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    It's really hard to compare across different eras of football. In 1962 Terry Baker won the Heisman at Oregon St (the first player west of Texas to win the award) but the runner-up was an LSU RB that had 370 rushing yards. 1988 wasn't quite that far away but the differences in offenses were vast.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Yeah but imagine Gordon against Big 12 defenses. Nebraska was the team that was good on defense from that conference.

Fun fact- Okie St had Barry Sanders AND Thurman Thomas on the team at the same time. My dad has a story of going to an osu-neb game, thurman got hurt and in steps a wizard to replace him.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Does 11-0 Marshall crack the list tonight?

Enquiring mind want to know!
    Syphyre wrote: »
    All signs point to no.

Twenty-four!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

This is not the same defense from '09-10. Not even close.

Also, Barry Sanders' bowl game didn't even count toward his stats.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Week 14 Easy Copy/Paste List

HIGH SPREAD DIVISION
    UCF (-9.5) at USF

LOW SPREAD DIVISION
    LSU (-2.5) at Texas A&M
    Stanford at UCLA (-4.5)
    Notre Dame at USC (-6.5)

GOTW DIVISION
    TCU (-7.5) at Texas
    Auburn at Alabama (-6.5)

Made sure to pick a few upsets in each category because The only thing sweeter than chaos is rivalry chaos.

Auburn/Florida, the hopes of a nation rest on you!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Auburn/Florida, the hopes of a nation Ohio State rest on you!

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    I so want Florida state to lose so they can be out of the college play offs. I so don't want a rapist as a national champion again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.