As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

COSMOS FANTASTICA: Marvel Cosmic B.S. Thread

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2010 in Graphic Violence
VERBAL LOG. NOVA CORPS
OPERATIVE: 11249-44396/RICHARD RIDER--
LAST SURVIVOR OF THE NOVA CORPS
War is hell. No, it's worse. I'm Richard Rider, Nova, last member of the Nova Corps, with the entire power of the Hivemind in me. I've been fighting the Annihilation Wave for around six months now. I don't have enough time to give my whole story, If you want that check the earlier logs.
annnova4.jpg

Anihlation: Nova 1-4, the cover is for #4. The series, which is the best out of the Annihilation set-ups, chronicles Nova's journey from the destruction of the Nova Corps, to his meeting with Drax the Destroyer to eventually leading the resistance against the Annihlation Wave.

We're fighting the best we can, but it's not going well. For every member of the Wave we kill, five more pop up. The Skrull and Kree empires have been all but destroyed. The remnants still fight on, led by two of the greatest leaders we have in our cause. Ronan the Accuser and K'lrt, the recently revived Super-Skrull.
405px-Ronanaccuser1.jpg
Ronan plays a role in the Annihilation limited-series crossover event. In an attempt to clear his name after being accused of treason, Ronan travels to the planet of Godthab Omega to find the witness who testified against him. On the planet he encounters the assassin Gamora and her band of warriors known as the Graces, one of which is the witness in question (Tana Nile). Although Ronan eventually discovers that it was an individual in the Kree Fiyero House who planned his betrayal, Tana Nile dies (a victim of the Annihilation wave) before a specific name can be given. By the end of the miniseries, Ronan sets off for Hala to defend the Kree empire from the approaching wave of destruction. He joins Nova's United Front in an attempt to defend off the Annihilation Wave.
Annihilation004_SKRULL_scaled_800.png
In the Annihilation: Super-Skrull mini-series, Kl'rt attempts to stop the destructive wave before it reaches the Skrull homeworld. After nearly being overwhelmed by the forces of Annihilus, he sacrifices himself by destroying the Harvester of Sorrows - the enormous organic warship that destroyed the Skrull homeworld and wreaked havoc throughout the universe. His body is later recovered, and in Annihilation #3, Kl'rt is mysteriously revived during a battle between Firelord and Ravenous.

While the Wave is incredibly powerful, we have....well had, some heavy hitters too. We had the former Heralds of Galactus: Firelord, Red...dammit, I always for get his name. and Stardust. Firelord's status is currently unknown but I think he's alive, but Red....Raven? No. Guardian? Wonderful. I can't remeber the name of the man who saved my life, both died when we were forecd to evac. With the Heralds bieng rounded up, it makes me wonder....where is the Silver Surfer in all of this?
250px-ANNSILV002.jpg
This series focuses primarily on an attempt by Annihilus to capture the current and former Heralds of Galactus, as well as Galactus himself, presumably in order to study and harness their power cosmic. The Silver Surfer learns of the Annihilation Wave and of the attempt by Annihilus's "Seekers" to capture the various heralds, primarily through the use of "Currs," dog-like beasts on leashes made out of cosmic energy. During the course of the four issues, the Seekers succeed in killing former herald Air-Walker and in capturing Terrax and Morg. Although Terrax's fate is unrevealed, Annihilus kills Morg in an unsuccessful attempt to drain his power. Several of the other former heralds, Firelord, Red Shift, and Stardust, decide to fight a war against the Annihilation Wave, while the first herald, the Fallen One, carries out its own mission for Thanos, another of Marvel's "cosmic" characters.

Ultimately, the Surfer elects to return to Galactus in order to help protect Galactus from Annihilus's attacks and preserve Galactus's role as a necessary element in the balance of the universe. The Surfer returns to his role as Galactus's herald and easily defeats an entire attacking fleet, as well as the Seekers' leader, "Ravenous," despite Ravenous's claims to be equal to the Surfer due to empowerment with "the opposing force", which is apparently the Negative Zone's equivalent of the Power Cosmic. Despite Galactus's objections, the Surfer refuses to kill Ravenous.

We're currently recouping our losses, finding the right times to strike, trying to talk the Shi'ar into joining us. All we can do is fight, for everyones' sakes.
ann4cover.jpg
Annihilation #4 (of 6) - Written by Keith Giffen, penciled by Andrea DiVito, cover by Gabrielle Dell'Otto.

Left behind, can Drax survive... Thanos takes action... and Nova sets course on a suicide mission. Bottom line, no Marvel Cosmic fan will forgive himself for missing THIS ISSUE!

32 PGS./Rated A ...$2.99
Info is courtesy of Marvel.
ann5cover.jpg
Annihilation #5 (of 6) - Written by Keith Giffen, penciled by Andrea DiVito, cover by Gabrielle Dell'Otto.

With the war lost, Ronan and the very, very angry Super-Skrull kill their way to the heart of the Kree Empire. VIVE LA KREE!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

ann6cover.jpg
10/17/06 Annihilation #6 Solicitation!
Annihilation #6 (of 6) - Written by Keith Giffen, penciled by Andrea DiVito, cover by Gabrielle Dell'Otto.

Nova and Annihilus face off in a fight to the finish with the fates of two, count ‘em, two, universes at stake. You think that’s bad? Wait until you see what happens when Galactus decides to go to war. All this and Quasar! Need we add that after this issue, Marvel’s cosmic landscape will never be the same?

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Shit man, I'm starting to feel like I've been missing out by not reading this series.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Shit man, I'm starting to feel like I've been missing out by not reading this series.
    That's because you have.

It's one of the best things put out by Marvel right now, and as an event it beats Civil War shitless.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's like twenty times better than Civil War.

Mai-Kero on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    but annihilus though?
    i dont want to call him a dropout...but...isnt he one FFs or avenger's lesser enemies? (i take my knowledge from Marvel Cards series 2)

delphinus on
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:
    but annihilus though?
    i dont want to call him a dropout...but...isnt he one FFs or avenger's lesser enemies? (i take my knowledge from Marvel Cards series 2)
    He's a pretty big enemy for the F4, but he is crazy powerful right now.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:
    but annihilus though?

Annihilus is practically a god in the negative zone.
    I'd call him one of their major enemies.

And god damnit. Is any of this in trade yet?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If you haven't read it yet, I would advise to skip Ronan and Super Skrull and just get Nova and the main series, and possibly Silver Surfer if you like the character. But overall, I've been enjoying this event, its pretty damn good

Zavian on
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    delphinus wrote:
    but annihilus though?

Annihilus is practically a god in the negative zone.
    I'd call him one of their major enemies.

And god damnit. Is any of this in trade yet?
    And since [spoiler:332afc4125]The Normal Universe is expanding into the Negative Zone, Annihilus is pretty much a god everywhere now.[/spoiler:332afc4125]

Oh and no, no trades yet. I'd expect a House of M style format of trades, all of the prolouges get their own trade(Of which I'd suggest Super-Skrull and Nova, the best of the bunch) and the main series getting either a trade or a hardcover including the Annihilation Prolouge.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    That's because you have.

It's one of the best things put out by Marvel right now, and as an event it beats Civil War shitless.

He's right, I picked up #1 the other day to see what I thought of it and I was really impressed, its a good read.

Marathon on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2006
    The prologue didn't do much for me. But I guess I maybe judged too soon.

DJ Eebs on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want this. Holy shit that looks hot. I know nothing about the setting though, other than that one guy is Silver Surfer

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I am waiting for the tbs of these.

In saying that, I read the last three or so pages of number one. It was some hot shit.

projectmayhem on
    edited October 2006
    Also, the newest HeroClix set is cosmic themed, and features a great deal of the major players, like Silver Surfer, Nova and Super Skrull.

DJ Eebs on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The main Annihilation book is fun, but sometimes it's just a bit too goofy and comic-booky. I'm still having a good time with it, though.

The lead up minis were pretty good, and I thought the Silver Surfer one was fucking awesome.

august on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I always decide to wait for trades on series that end up being too fucking awesome for me to want to wait.

Same thing happened with Seven Soldiers. And Planet Hulk.

Sars_Boy on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Annihilation: Prologue wasn't that great, but all of the minis were good stuff, even Ronan.

Conditional_Axe on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    This looks like an awesome event. Added to the list.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2006
    Annihilation: Prologue wasn't that great, but all of the minis were good stuff, even Ronan.

The Prologue was why I didn't pick up the series.
    Boy is my face red.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Zavian wrote:
    If you haven't read it yet, I would advise to skip Ronan and Super Skrull and just get Nova and the main series,

NOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOO!!!1!1

Seriously, the super-skrull prologue was my favorite. I absolutely loved the way they illustrated his fight scenes. The overall story was pretty good as well. I'm a shamelessly biased Super-skrull lover though.

The Nova prologue was pretty damn good as well. The Silver Surfer and Ronan books were pretty dissapointing in my opinion.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The Nova prologue was pretty damn good as well. The Silver Surfer and Ronan books were pretty dissapointing in my opinion.

You're on drugs.

Bad drugs.

I mean [spoiler:4374068092]Surfer going back to Galactus? Kicking ass and taking names? And Thanos being all sneaky and shit? It was awesome.[/spoiler:4374068092]

august on
    edited October 2006
    can someone post some lead up stuff [spoilers for some?] before i start reading it?
    so that im not lost when i start reading it?
    i didnt know that annihilus was so damn powerful
    i didnt even know morg was still alive or back in teh hands of galactus.

i thought he was still in captivity [spoilers]galactus' son[/spoilers]
    and why is annhilus coming after everyone now? where the hell is richards and the avengers to stop this?
    i thought earth was on pretty okay terms with the other worlds?
    can someone fill me in?

delphinus on
  • KirbyMorphKirbyMorph Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    While I enjoy it, I wouldn't say its 20 times better then Civil War. If you dislike cosmic storylines or characters, dont even bother.

Also, it's not very reader friendly for all intents and purposes. There are dozens of characters and all have varied pasts that will leave you wondering just what is going on. They try to help by putting hte Nova Corps files at the end, but if you know nothing of the cosmic characters, I doubt you'll enjoy this series as much as you could.

Finally, the covers are complete bull shit. They are badass in eveyr conceivable way. The interiors are NOTHING like them. Especially Superskrull and Ronan which are so poorly drawn, the covers just make them look worse then they are.

All said, Nova and Surfer are probably the 2 big ones to pick up. Nothing major really happens in the other 2 series that adds a great deal to the story. Nova you see him get powered up and introduced to the new Dax (who may or may not have destroyed in teh past) and Surfer has Thanos and Galactus and the new Galactus type guys released by the wave.

I was incredibly surprised at how good the Nova one was. It was pretty funny at times too. Probably the best series out of the bunch.

Hopefully Thanos and Dax throw down like the cover shows, but for some reason I highly doubt it will happen based on the covers so far being just pretty pictures.

KirbyMorph on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:

You're on drugs.

Bad drugs.

I mean [spoiler:dfdd50a54a]Surfer going back to Galactus? Kicking ass and taking names? And Thanos being all sneaky and shit? It was awesome.[/spoiler:dfdd50a54a]

Ok, before saying that I should have said that I usually don't follow Silver Surfer's series. I imagine that if I followed the series, the plot developments in the silver surfer books would have been pretty darn awesome. Still, I don't think the STORY was that good. I just think the plot development of him doing what he did was a major one.

Picture this. You don't know anything about spider-man at all. Then you read the story about him unmasking. Now, to most spider-fans this was a HUGE development. Someone who DIDN'T follow spiderman closely, though, probably wouldn't see it as overly signifigant and would probably rather read a regular story about him kicking ass. Thats kinda how I felt when reading the silver surfer story.

EDIT: Took out spoilers.... sorry bout that!

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:
    can someone post some lead up stuff [spoilers for some?] before i start reading it?
    so that im not lost when i start reading it?
    i didnt know that annihilus was so damn powerful
    i didnt even know morg was still alive or back in teh hands of galactus.

i thought he was still in captivity [spoiler:0b2d114407]galactus' son[/spoiler:0b2d114407]
    and why is annhilus coming after everyone now? where the hell is richards and the avengers to stop this?
    i thought earth was on pretty okay terms with the other worlds?
    can someone fill me in?
    It's just [(no space but it screws up mah code)spoiler], not [spoilers]
    [spoiler:0b2d114407]Annihilus is simply reclaiming what he thinks is his since the normal universe is expanding into the Negative Zone, he is amazingly powerful in the N-Zone and since the two universes are converging his power has spread to the normal as well.[/spoiler:0b2d114407]
    Dunno about Morg, also Reed and the Avengers are a bit busy what with Civil War going on right now.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm really disappointed the trades for this haven't even been solicited yet. I initially decided to pass on this, since I really couldn't budget the four minis into my monthly comic fund, but now I'm wishing I would have just said fuck it and bought it all up.

Munch on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Nice OP, certainly has sold me on picking up the trades when they hit.

Accualt on
    edited October 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Nice OP, certainly has sold me on picking up the trades when they hit.
    Thanks, I'm thinking that whenever I make another thread for a character or series I'll do the OP in-character, it was suprisingly fun.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • CircularCircular Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    KirbyMorph wrote:
    Also, it's not very reader friendly for all intents and purposes. There are dozens of characters and all have varied pasts that will leave you wondering just what is going on. They try to help by putting hte Nova Corps files at the end, but if you know nothing of the cosmic characters, I doubt you'll enjoy this series as much as you could.

Finally, the covers are complete bull shit. They are badass in eveyr conceivable way. The interiors are NOTHING like them. Especially Superskrull and Ronan which are so poorly drawn, the covers just make them look worse then they are.

I have to agree with this. I've always been a big fan of Marvel's cosmic characters, and looked into the Annihilation series when it started, but was really disappointed by the interior art in the Ronan book. In addition, the books assume you're up on things like the Nova Corps...I'd never so much as heard of them, despite having had a subscription to Silver Surfer and having read the Infinity Whatsit books back when. The stories are good reads, but they're not intended as a jumping-on point for these characters.

Circular on
    edited October 2006
    so then anyone wanna do a quick run up on what nova corps has been up to?

hell i thought nova was a guy from new warriors

delphinus on
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:

...He is.
    He's a member of the corps.
    The Nova Corps really never did much, they were a Green Lantern Corps except amazingly dumbed down.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:

...He is.
    He's a member of the corps.
    The Nova Corps really never did much, they were a Green Lantern Corps except amazingly dumbed down.

so do they just zoom around space punching people?

delphinus on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:
    so do they just zoom around space punching people?

I laughed way too hard at this.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Munch wrote:
    I'm really disappointed the trades for this haven't even been solicited yet. I initially decided to pass on this, since I really couldn't budget the four minis into my monthly comic fund, but now I'm wishing I would have just said fuck it and bought it all up.

It is pretty fantastic. I had tons of skepticism and tons of money that I didn't have, so I only got Nova and never regretted it.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited October 2006
    delphinus wrote:

the most notable thing the nova corps ever did was get annihilated

DJ Eebs on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I didn't know there was a Nova Corps until they were killed. I thought Nova was the only Nova-ish character.

Caveman Paws on
    edited November 2006
    Are the interiors anywhere near as amazing as the covers? That one Ronan cover is about twenty flavors of kickassawesome

DouglasDanger on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are the interiors anywhere near as amazing as the covers? That one Ronan cover is about twenty flavors of kickassawesome
    The interiors are ok. Not nearly the quality of the covers though.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    Will Ronan and Noh-varr ever meet?

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2006
    annihilationprologue104xb3.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks to my local comics shop, I was able to pick up a bunch of these for $1 an issue. I got all of the issues from the minis except for Super Skrull #4, Silver Surfer #1 and #2, and Nova #1-3. I'll have to see if I can track those down.

It's pretty bad ass in a large scale way. One thing that's weird to me is, if Reed Richards knows about the Annihilation wave, why the fuck is he wasting his time on this Civil War crap?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee