As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Singularity Satans 2014

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That scene at the end of the book is a pretty major thing to leave out if you want to set up the sequel.

Or have any of the story mean anything.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yeah like

the ending is what explains the entire point of the book, what kind of a story it really is, and where it is going

Without that, everything is left kind of empty and directionless.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goatmon wrote: »
    From what I remember, the movie was disappointing in how it tried to pander and avoid offending people (and in doing so just kind of annoyed everyone) and also rushed through the story too quickly, trying to cover everything and it ended up not making a lot of sense.

Biggest problem, though, was that they scrapped the movie's ending late into production and so the movie just sort of stops right after the scene where Lyra busts her friend out of captivity and they escape in a balloon, before anything else in the film is actually resolved or explained at all.

That whole confrontation with her Dad and taking a portal into another world straight-up never happens and it just rolls credits.

At the time I thought they planned to make the other movies so I figured they were leaving that stuff till the next one.

But the movies never came.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    total man-crush on iorek byrnison

broken image link
    Sir Ian playing an armored bear was definitely a factor in me going to that movie.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I liked The Golden Compass, but I didn't enjoy the second one at all. I didn't even finish it or start the third one.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The books get super weird. I wanted them to make the movies just because I was curious how the hell they were going to pull it off.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    From what I remember, the movie was disappointing in how it tried to pander and avoid offending people (and in doing so just kind of annoyed everyone) and also rushed through the story too quickly, trying to cover everything and it ended up not making a lot of sense.

Biggest problem, though, was that they scrapped the movie's ending late into production and so the movie just sort of stops right after the scene where Lyra busts her friend out of captivity and they escape in a balloon, before anything else in the film is actually resolved or explained at all.

That whole confrontation with her Dad and taking a portal into another world straight-up never happens and it just rolls credits.

At the time I thought they planned to make the other movies so I figured they were leaving that stuff till the next one.

But the movies never came.

Yeah they tried to bait the sequel hook but they went with "sappy kids adventure" instead of "surprise betrayal and child sacrifice"

I'm not sure if the latter would have worked out better in terms of getting more movies made but least would have been interesting

2x39jD4.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I ordered a couple things off Amazon recently and was tracking them diligently, as tracking packages is one of the only things that triggers my otherwise dormant impatience.

My US Mail service emailed me saying they'd received two packages, just as I was expecting. Then on saturday I got another email saying there was a third package!

Definitely only ordered two packages, so I'm thinking the third is a gift of some type! Heading over the border tonight to pick them up. Pretty excited!

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I can't decide if package tracking makes the wait easier or harder, but I totally do it too

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I remember thinking that The Golden Compass was a really good book, but then the later books, particularly book 3, went off the deep end.

Yeah, uh

Shit went pretty crazy by the third one.

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    My Satan texted me a tracking number. That tracking number tells me the package is to be delivered today. I can't wait!

Also they signed me up for the CAH Holiday Bullshit thing, thanks!

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @timspork's ghost‌ lemme know if the box arrives today

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Wait you can text people?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    There was going to be SMS system (the opt-in during sign ups), but I'm not sure if the instructions on how to use it got posted? I may have missed that post while I was out of town before Thanksgiving. Nevs did reserve the second post for more information.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I never saw it get posted, but some people seem to have been using it, so I assumed that info was given to Satans whose Satanee had said they would do the SMS?

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Neville included hte cell number in his message saying who your satanee was. Guessing they just used that.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @timspork's ghost‌ lemme know if the box arrives today

Will do! I gotta stay late supervising the poetry club thing so it'll be a while.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man I friggin' love His Dark Materials, and the additional books that Pullman has written in that universe.

I think they're really thought-provoking about the nature of religion and the wrongful praise/adulation of concepts of purity/innocence in society, and I think they're a beautiful examination of relationships and sexuality, particularly in like... prepubescence.

So I guess they "go off the deep end" if you were anticipating traditionally-plotted single-universe adventure novels. But otherwise I kind of disagree.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Ooooh what kind of poetry

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Ooooh what kind of poetry

I don't really know. I just have to be in the library since it is an outside poetry expert who comes in to coach them.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Moetry

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Moetry

Nah, they're at that age where it's mostly Woetry

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It's probably a good idea I didn't sign up for this as I am having a super hard time finding things to ask my family to get me.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I got a gift in the mail from a Daniel L. Is that someone here? I was in more than one exchange so I'm not 100% sure

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Man I friggin' love His Dark Materials, and the additional books that Pullman has written in that universe.

I think they're really thought-provoking about the nature of religion and the wrongful praise/adulation of concepts of purity/innocence in society, and I think they're a beautiful examination of relationships and sexuality, particularly in like... prepubescence.

So I guess they "go off the deep end" if you were anticipating traditionally-plotted single-universe adventure novels. But otherwise I kind of disagree.

There's more books from that universe? Tell me more.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    So even though I'm not in the Secret Satan and this technically isn't a Secret Satan gift I'm posting it here anyway.

I got a package from DMR Publishing. It contains donated books from a certain forum user here that will be added to my school library!

6i6bx7jl881j.jpg

pp4wd7n8nqpl.jpg
    Not pictured, Volumes 4 and 5 of Runaways since I missed them in the box.

Finally got my snacks packaged up and mailed.

Blessed is our Dark Lord, upon his Dark Throne.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Okay! Don't mind if I do!

Lyra's Oxford is a short book about Lyra when she's in her teens, and has a witch and am alchemist and wonderful maps and inserts!

Once Upon A Time in the North is super adorably and appropriately named because it's about a young Lee Scorseby and his first meeting with Iorek Byrnison and I love it SO HARD.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    "And am alchemist." Thanks phone. Jesus.

Orb am horse.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I presumed you were just revealing your true calling.

@timspork's ghost‌ Just a heads up the jacket on Runaways vol1 comes loose, so if you have some of that magic librarian glue it wouldn't hurt to use some

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

Okay! Don't mind if I do!

Lyra's Oxford is a short book about Lyra when she's in her teens, and has a witch and am alchemist and wonderful maps and inserts!

Once Upon A Time in the North is super adorably and appropriately named because it's about a young Lee Scorseby and his first meeting with Iorek Byrnison and I love it SO HARD.

I have a mighty need

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to read Once Upon a Time in the North now

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Today after work, I braved the crappy, rainy, Winter Vancouver weather to make the 30 minute drive to the ridiculously tiny peninsula of Point Roberts, which just peaks south of the 49th parallel far enough to officially be part of the USA.

My mail service had emailed me that I had three packages waiting. Two I had ordered myself, but the third was a mystery...

When I got there and handed over my ID, the lady said I actually had FOUR packages! The plot thickens!

Keeping in the spirit of anticipation, I left the packages unopened until I got home (after buying some cheap american cheese and gas, obviously)

When I got home, George the cat helped me open the packages. He decided we should open the heavy one first. Heavy usually means good, he told me.

mniqfom.jpg

*You can't eat this one. Move onto the next box*

"But George, I can use this to MAKE things you can eat!"

*Please make me some tuna right now, thank you*

nNfG1Oi.jpg

It's a Lodge Cast Iron Skillet from @Stale ! He scolded me for not owning one already. Sorry about that, bud. I'll make some cornbread in this thing this weekend to make up for it. Thank you so much, Dan!

George was eager to open the next box. It was smaller, but George could sense something good

9HlgY0G.jpg

*Also not food. Who even are these people sending things that aren't food?*

"George, that is not very nice! This lovely person has sent some cool things for my bike!"

*Please ride to the nearest fish store and purchase me some god damn tuna right now, thank you*

iKpFGLC.jpg

It's Bike stuff from the wonderful @egreco ! A sweet folding bike carrier for my car, some hybrid cage/clickless pedals and some padded bike shorts - perfect for avoiding what I like to call "Gooch Crush". Thanks so much, Gavin!

Don't listen to George. I gave him some nip and now he is rolling around, happily praising Satan.

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    I have received my gift!

secretSatan2014.jpg?dl=1

A whole lot of cardboard! In addition to the 4th Expansion of Cards Against Humanity, I have been signed up for the Ten Days or Whatever of Kwanzaa. I was also given some blank cards, and a few pre-filled in, one by Max Temkin himself (one of the creators of the game).

As a bonus the package also had some Magic cards, one starter deck of each color. And some pins with questionable icons on it, my favorite one being the anal beads.

Thanks, @TheRoadVirus‌ !

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    George the cat, why do you like courier new so much?

DHS Odium wrote: »
    I have received my gift!

secretSatan2014.jpg?dl=1

A whole lot of cardboard! In addition to the 4th Expansion of Cards Against Humanity, I have been signed up for the Ten Days or Whatever of Kwanzaa. I was also given some blank cards, and a few pre-filled in, one by Max Temkin himself (one of the creators of the game).

As a bonus the package also had some Magic cards, one starter deck of each color. And some pins with questionable icons on it, my favorite one being the anal beads.

Thanks, @TheRoadVirus‌ !

You're welcome! And merry Christmas! The buttons were from the CAH booth at pax