As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Fun fact. We totally ruined a kid's life today.

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Kid had a warm pipe and weed on him.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

Not only that, regardless of how ruined his life does or does not get, that's not on you or the administration. Kid came to school high with a weed pipe on his person. Any ruin that comes upon him is entirely due to his own choices. You have done no ruining.

Seriously. All the dedicated stoners I knew in high school/college were like air filtering and sealing engineering wizards.

If it was a thing that existed, a bong could be made out of it.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

Not only that, regardless of how ruined his life does or does not get, that's not on you or the administration. Kid came to school high with a weed pipe on his person. Any ruin that comes upon him is entirely due to his own choices. You have done no ruining.

Seriously. All the dedicated stoners I knew in high school/college were like air filtering and sealing engineering wizards.

Also getting caught smoking weed in school doesn't neccisarily ruin your life. I got caught smoking weed in highschool and while life certainly sucked for a few years after, it wasn't ruined. It could be a chance for the kid to turn his life around.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I've got an idea for a business. It's a phone hotline where you can ring up and let off steam by screaming at people. Except (this is the trick) instead of being underpaid customer service representatives, they're all people who deserve it.

I figure ex politicians are going to be my biggest talent pool, but I'm open to suggestions.

@tynic‌ someone is way ahead of you.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I guess celebrities don't necessarily deserve it but I think that would scratch the same itch.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Just spent five minutes explaining to a coworker that yes, you can fuck up a USB cable by winding it into a coil again and again for over a year, go get a new one, stop asking to borrow mine, I'm already using it for my phone.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Good news: I have escaped from call center hell.
    Bad news: I don't have anything else lined up

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Decomposey wrote: »

Also getting caught smoking weed in school doesn't neccisarily ruin your life. I got caught smoking weed in highschool and while life certainly sucked for a few years after, it wasn't ruined. It could be a chance for the kid to turn his life around.

I've always kinda wondered how people people who get busted for something like that as a kid manage to turn things around. Gonna ask some questions and if they're intrusive feel free to tell me I'm a fucking idiot and ignore me.

Did you get readmitted to your high school or have to relocate? Did it end up disappearing from your record as an adult so you could get back on track and basically put it behind you, or did it linger for a while? Was something like college, trade school, or the military still an option?

I feel like a poor decision in someone's early life plays way too big a role in the success or failure of their entire lives and that we're far too unforgiving of mistakes. It's good to see you dug out but so many do not and it's a shame.

rhylith on
    edited December 2014

Have you considered a life of crime performing complicated heists with twelve of your most capable known associates?

Seriously though, congrats, the lack of stress from that job is going to do you a world of good. No matter where you end up, it won't be there and you won't have the urge to punch every person you see.

Darth Waiter on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

are you me from ~2 years ago?

because this sounds like me from ~2 years ago

good luck!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I've always kinda wondered how people people who get busted for something like that as a kid manage to turn things around. Gonna ask some questions and if they're intrusive feel free to tell me I'm a fucking idiot and ignore me.

Did you get readmitted to your high school or have to relocate? Did it end up disappearing from your record as an adult so you could get back on track and basically put it behind you, or did it linger for a while? Was something like college, trade school, or the military still an option?

I feel like a poor decision in someone's early life plays way too big a role in the success or failure of their entire lives and that we're far too unforgiving of mistakes. It's good to see you dug out but so many do not and it's a shame.

Well this kid is for sure getting expelled so he'll have to go to a new school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My coworker is reading some article about pranks and one of them is swapping out someone's deodorant for butter. :bigfrown: What twisted fuck thought that one up?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

You are free now. The air is fresher, the sun is brighter. Let the better outlook on life fuel your job hunt!
    @JoeUser‌ signal activate!
    But yeah, best of luck on your search. I hope you find something awesome and nearby and soon!

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Yeah, no blame here is on timpork or the school, but I wouldn't put it all on the kid if his life gets ruined disproportionately because his skin color is one that the US justice system is heavily slanted against.

edited December 2014
    Did you get readmitted to your high school or have to relocate?

I was sent to rehab for eight months (one intensive high security rehab/mental instiution for 1 month then seven months in a minimum security adolescent treatment facility), and was able to return to and graduate from the same high school.
    Did it end up disappearing from your record as an adult so you could get back on track and basically put it behind you, or did it linger for a while?

It lingered for a few years but by 18 it disapeared from the record. I was 15 when it happened, so about 3 years.
    Was something like college, trade school, or the military still an option?

College was an option, and I currently have a military clearance as a contractor so it's all good there. Most resumes, applications, forms and such I've seen blatantly state they only want information from the past 8-10 years, so once you get past that even if it was still on the record it wouldn't be considered.

It totally wouldn't have affected me going into the military at the time due to how hungry the military was for troops during the gulf wars/9-11 eara, but now since they're more interested in kicking people out than recruiting someone in the same situtation might have issues if the offense was recent. But again, after some years they stop caring as long as you havne't done anything else.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    MadEddy wrote: »
    My coworker is reading some article about pranks and one of them is swapping out someone's deodorant for butter. :bigfrown: What twisted fuck thought that one up?

It wasn't me.

I think.

Look, I can't really be sure, I've done a lot of drinking over the years.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Thanks! It's good to hear that there's what looks like a reasonable way to get back on track, even if it is pretty harsh (as it probably should be).

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Prior weed use won't keep you out of the military as long as you really have stopped using it by the time you go to join. Even getting in non-felony trouble isn't an automatic bar to service, especially if you're a minor when it happened. It may make you a less viable recruit in a period of military downsizing, though.

It won't even stop you getting a clearance as long as you disclose it. (That's the general rule with most things clearance-related. Non-disclosure hurts you more than the thing you were trying to hide would have, unless what you're trying to hide is the North Korean handler you meet with every other month to pass secrets or something. Or the world's worst uncle.)

I even knew a guy who managed to stay in and get his clearance back after pissing hot for weed. (That said, I knew more people who got discharged for pissing hot. That guy was the exception, not the rule.)

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Prior weed use won't keep you out of the military as long as you really have stopped using it by the time you go to join. Even getting in non-felony trouble isn't an automatic bar to service, especially if you're a minor when it happened. It may make you a less viable recruit in a period of military downsizing, though.

It won't even stop you getting a clearance as long as you disclose it. (That's the general rule with most things clearance-related. Non-disclosure hurts you more than the thing you were trying to hide would have, unless what you're trying to hide is the North Korean handler you meet with every other month to pass secrets or something. Or the world's worst uncle.)

I even knew a guy who managed to stay in and get his clearance back after pissing hot for weed. (That said, I knew more people who got discharged for pissing hot. That guy was the exception, not the rule.)

I admitted to all of my drug use as well as my misdemeanor conviction. The only problem I had was that I didn't have a high school diploma at the time. Of course these requirements all change based on the need for new service members, too. It was no problem getting a secret security clearance but I was ineligible for top secret at the time I enlisted

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Meanwhile taking meds for ADHD will absolutely bar you from armed services. Fucking shit man...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    Meanwhile taking meds for ADHD will absolutely bar you from armed services. Fucking shit man...

I believe that has more to do with what could happen if you suffer acute ADHD and run out of meds.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They also make you piss positive for amphetamines.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

That said, I knew more people who got discharged for pissing hot.

That sounds really uncomfortable.

steam_sig.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I was sent to rehab for eight months (one intensive high security rehab/mental instiution for 1 month then seven months in a minimum security adolescent treatment facility),

How much were you caught with? For weed that seems... intense.

edited December 2014

I was sent to rehab for eight months (one intensive high security rehab/mental instiution for 1 month then seven months in a minimum security adolescent treatment facility),

How much were you caught with? For weed that seems... intense.

My parents decided to employ harsher measures then legally required to due to the fact that while it was the first time I had been caught, they had had their suspicions of my rather extensive hashish habit for the past two years and were ready to go with rehab the moment they had proof.

Decomposey on
    Or the world's worst uncle.

He really is.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I had my last day at the zoo today. I had to say goodbye to the group of awesome old ladies I've worked with for a year and a half. Which would have been sad enough, but combined with hearing this morning that my gran's had a stroke she won't be waking up from, it was pretty fucking rough.

They gave me some going away gifts. A few animal and zoo themed things, and then this:

xTJ7HZ8.jpg

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I might have accidentally gotten myself forced into a committee because I kept correcting really stupid people in a meeting.

Damn it.

Sassori wrote: »
    I might have accidentally gotten myself forced into a committee because I kept correcting really stupid people in a meeting.

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

Get in there and wrest control over that committee, show them how weakness fails them.

No mercy.

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

Get in there and wrest control over that committee, show them how weakness fails them.

No mercy.

Well, apparently this is one of those committees that is controlled by one person and no one has the willingness to argue against them because they will never change their mind over anything. And most of the people in this training were all people on this special committee and they didn't think any outsiders should have the same powers that they did.

And I think they underestimate just how little I mind being obnoxious. So my speaking up and arguing with them every time they tried to push for something ended up getting me noticed by everyone in the room. And now my boss has heard about it and is going to force me to join the committee.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »

Depends what branch. Army will take just about anyone. Air Force and Navy though, you better be a pristine, healthy, heterosexual human being or you're fucked.

Been years and I still get irritated when I think about the merry-go-round that was me trying to get into the Air Force then Navy.

First time got disqualified because my eyes were 20/800 so I get LASIK and reapply in a year. Then I get denied because I had prior surgery (the LASIK) so therefore I was ineligible permanently, despite the fact that the doctor who had done my procedure was someone who'd helped pioneer the technique for Navy pilots. So I went to the Navy and was in line to become a Nuke. I'd passed every single test (at no point did my ASVAB score drop below a 92 in the three times I had to take it and I also aced the Nuke exam) and then apparently I was color-blind because they used some stupid "look into the machine" thing I can never see so whoops back home. Re-apply after the cooldown period and went down to MEPS, cleared it with no complications (they didn't use the machine this time and what do you know I passed color blindness test imagine that), then got barred because they realized my papers said I'd had ADD as a kid in elementary school. So I went to the psychiatrist and he said that if I'd had ADD as a kid then I clearly didn't have it anymore and cleared me. Navy didn't accept it though and had me see one of their psychiatrists. Know what ultimately got me barred from the Navy and had me stop seeking the military entirely?

When the psychiatrist asked me about my sex life and I responded I had none and desired none. I know that's the turning point because that was the only thing he kept pushing on for the rest of the session. That's right, after bad eyes, the surgery, the "color-blindness", and the ADD, the thing that ultimately kept me out of the military was being asexual. Un-fucking-believable.

It did not feel good when my brother, who had asthma as a kid and is regularly sick every year, sailed straight through all that into the Navy on his first go. He had one recruiter. I had at least seven. I kept their business cards.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

No mercy.

Well, apparently this is one of those committees that is controlled by one person and no one has the willingness to argue against them because they will never change their mind over anything. And most of the people in this training were all people on this special committee and they didn't think any outsiders should have the same powers that they did.

And I think they underestimate just how little I mind being obnoxious. So my speaking up and arguing with them every time they tried to push for something ended up getting me noticed by everyone in the room. And now my boss has heard about it and is going to force me to join the committee.

Having the ability to be an unrepentant pain in the ass over not allowing stupidity has gotten me where I am today.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Eeek. 4 hours until job interview. It was an invite only event for the same company that offered me an inside sales call center job a few months ago that I couldn't take financially. It's probably multiple steps including another simulated phone call as they are making offers today so it could be up to two hours of fun and games.

Last time, I feel like I kind of crapped out on their 3 or 4 question interview piece. The big things were to tell stories about times I exceeded customer expectations or dealing with difficult customers and I really struggle remembering specific cases. I've been trying all day to come up with something but I think I might be too good as letting calls slide out of my brain after I'm done with them!

The only concern I have is that glassdoor puts the pay below what I'd expect - especially since this job had more demanding requirements than the last position I applied for and that paid better. Does anyone have experience knowing how good/bad that site's reported incomes are in terms of accuracy?

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

No mercy.

Having the ability to be an unrepentant pain in the ass over not allowing stupidity has gotten me where I am today.

Listen to him, @Sassori, he's pre-med.

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

No mercy.

Listen to him, @Sassori, he's pre-med.

Aww, but I work in education. I can't make any money being obnoxious here.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Handed in my notice yesterday.

Yes that's right people, I've got a new job. And it pays more. And the commute is less/cheaper. And there is actual career progression.

My manager was meant to come back with a counter offer.

I'm not holding my breath

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

Yeah, no blame here is on timpork or the school, but I wouldn't put it all on the kid if his life gets ruined disproportionately because his skin color is one that the US justice system is heavily slanted against.

Oh no. I wouldn't put disproportionate ruination all on the kid. And I would certainly hope there isn't any actual ruination. After all, kid's do stupid things. I'd hope he'd at least learn that if he's going to keep smoking weed, be smart about it.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Yes that's right people, I've got a new job. And it pays more. And the commute is less/cheaper. And there is actual career progression.

I would rarely feel ok with taking a counteroffer because I feel like they'd always just be sitting there and waiting for me to get complacent and then they'll fire me because they cant trust my loyalty or something

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

I'm glad you have a new job, but for completely selfless reasons.

Redpandaredpandaredpanda

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Hey did you know there's a shop here in portland that offers professional cuddling services?

Guess who just inquired about being a professional cuddler?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I would rarely feel ok with taking a counteroffer because I feel like they'd always just be sitting there and waiting for me to get complacent and then they'll fire me because they cant trust my loyalty or something

and on top of that, it's rare that the only reason a person leaves is for money, and unless they can address all of the issues causing you to leave/want to leave, more money isn't really a great long-term solution for your own work happiness

This discussion has been closed.