As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's our [Job] thread

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    @Lost Salient‌ look he's asking you to overclock his computer so it generates more heat.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Oh, this also happened about half an hour ago:

I have a drink mix I use to spoil myself while hydrating and it's a really distinct blue color. It also foams up a bit when you shake it to get it mixed properly. A woman I have passed in the cafeteria before looks at my beverage with wide eyes and says ...

"Ummm, what is that?"

"Windex!"

*pats stomach*

"Keeps me regular!"

No! It's suppose to keep you from streaking!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    @Lost Salient‌ look he's asking you to overclock his computer so it generates more heat.

And honestly, who needs heat sinks? Get rid of those puppies, scrape off that thermal paste and set up some copper piping so he can heat up some tea.

Bam.

Problem solved.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I was tempted to respond asking for some data on the average temperatures over time of both offices, in order to get a better gauge of the adjustment needed.

Give 'em some homework since clearly they have WAY TOO MUCH free time.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    had phone interview for a company that seems p rad with their vp of data

they gonna bring me in for in person interviews

i felt unprepared for it, but went okay, made a few small mistakes but nothing major

got email from the guy
    As I mentioned, our data analyst team deals with very large data sets, and a strong comfort level in SQL is very helpful. The best way to get better there is simply with more experience with that. If you have a chance to review aspects of SQL in advance of your coming in for an interview, that will likely be helpful too. I also encourage you to think about our business model and to come in with as many pointed questions as possible.
    MUST PREPARE!!!!

tips?

also what kind of pointed questions are good questions hmm

poo
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

i felt unprepared for it, but went okay, made a few small mistakes but nothing major

got email from the guy
    As I mentioned, our data analyst team deals with very large data sets, and a strong comfort level in SQL is very helpful. The best way to get better there is simply with more experience with that. If you have a chance to review aspects of SQL in advance of your coming in for an interview, that will likely be helpful too. I also encourage you to think about our business model and to come in with as many pointed questions as possible.
    MUST PREPARE!!!!

tips?

just end every question with 'or what?'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

got email from the guy
    MUST PREPARE!!!!

tips?

What database technologies are they using and why? What are there solutions today and moving forward? Do they have a roadmap around cloud-based processing or integration? What toolsets are they using? How are you creating value with your data, and what is preventing that value from being more widespread?
    Study up on best practices around data governance as well as around new data trends. Watch some keynotes from PASS and the Databricks conference to get an idea of what's going on in the data world right now.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "That file you sent me with the landform contours, what scale is it?"

File name:
    final contours at 1:200 flattened.psd

contours at 1:200

1:200

"They're at 1:200 mate".

Liiya on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just want to get paid to write.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    "That file you sent me with the landform contours, what scale is it?"

File name:
    final contours at 1:200 flattened.psd

contours at 1:200

1:200

"They're at 1:200 mate".

Yeah but is that in miles or???????????

• Options
    METERS.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    METERS.

Metric or Imperial meters?!?!?

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    how big is that in freedom feet?

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    I will thwack you round the head with this scale ruler Tall One.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Is that meter in 4\4 or 3\4 time?

• Options
    Stale wrote: »
    how big is that in freedom feet?

Well it looks twice as free on the surface but in reality actually about half.

oooohh sick burn.

• Options
    Another day, another detached retina.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Probably gonna be working an overnight grocery shift. Need money though and it's all there is right now!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Got an email from medical
    "Hey, this new software broke everything. There are only 4 boxes on my home screen instead of 5 and there are missing menu options"
    *check screenshot. count 5 boxes. see a scroll bar next to menu list*
    'Yeah I'm seeing 5 boxes. Is a particular one missing? Also, you have to use the scrollbar to see all of the menu options. Just drag that bar down.'
    -Five minutes pass-
    "Oh hey I figured out my issue and resolved it myself. Thanks"

N... no you didn't.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Got an email from medical
    "Hey, this new software broke everything. There are only 4 boxes on my home screen instead of 5 and there are missing menu options"
    *check screenshot. count 5 boxes. see a scroll bar next to menu list*
    'Yeah I'm seeing 5 boxes. Is a particular one missing? Also, you have to use the scrollbar to see all of the menu options. Just drag that bar down.'
    -Five minutes pass-
    "Oh hey I figured out my issue and resolved it myself. Thanks"

N... no you didn't.

Maybe they're Dee Dub's detached retina person and they reattached their own retina, enabling them to see all the boxes. You don't know their life.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Another day, another detached retina.

And when they platted the crown of retinas, they placed it upon his head.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    This is just the dumbest thing and it's making me crack up ...

A passenger has an email using his first initial and last name; I recognize that it's an Asian name and some google-fu narrows it down to Tibet. All of that is fine, Mr. L. Rapgay has done well for himself since he's a doctor as well.

But it's just the perfect storm of juvenile humor because the email is all lowercase letters ...

And it looks like Dr. I Rap Gay.

I'm such a bad person.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I went to the mall during lunch. I needed a new purse (I bought two).

Also passed by the Hallmark store.

One darth vader calendar left.

So.
    20141218_131731_zpsyyzbjbjr.jpg

(The lighting for photos sucks and I don't feel like fixing it)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    There is a kid here today wearing a brand new black leather trench coat. I feel like I've walked back into my high school pre-April 1999.

This morning when I was kicking the kids out of the library when the bell rang I said to him, "Let's go Neo. Tank has an exit for you in the hall." He had no idea what I was talking about.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    This morning when I was kicking the kids out of the library when the bell rang I said to him, "Let's go Neo. Tank has an exit for you in the hall." He had no idea what I was talking about.

god damn it

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Kids these days. Next they're going to complain that Ke$ha is old-people music.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Tell the truth now, timspork, did you chuckle at your own joke at any stage there?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Tell the truth now, timspork, did you chuckle at your own joke at any stage there?

Internally. Yes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »

Internally. Yes.

I think that leaves you in the clear, if you make a reference they don't get and laugh at it yourself you've crossed the line.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

got email from the guy
    MUST PREPARE!!!!

tips?

What database technologies are they using and why? What are there solutions today and moving forward? Do they have a roadmap around cloud-based processing or integration? What toolsets are they using? How are you creating value with your data, and what is preventing that value from being more widespread?
    Study up on best practices around data governance as well as around new data trends. Watch some keynotes from PASS and the Databricks conference to get an idea of what's going on in the data world right now.
    Take a look at different database reporting tools. Do they roll their own in SSRS? Or do they have some kind of Business Objects solution or whatever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

A month ago another teacher and I quizzed a student. He had never heard of any 80's music. He did not know who Sting was.

• Options
    It happened at work so I'm posting it here.

@MadEddy‌ guess who just texted me again.

"Hey boo how u livin"

"Guess what? Still the wrong number."

Next time will be the last time, I'm planning on full retaliatory counter measures.

The only worry I have is trying to explain to my mother why I'm taking pictures of her three dogs' assholes.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

A month ago another teacher and I quizzed a student. He had never heard of any 80's music. He did not know who Sting was.

Up until like three months ago I thought Sting was a band.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

It's not?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

It's not?

Nope, he's a wrestler.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I thought it was bilbo's sword
    Wait no, that's Desert Rose.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

"Hey boo how u livin"

Next time will be the last time, I'm planning on full retaliatory counter measures.

The only worry I have is trying to explain to my mother why I'm taking pictures of her three dogs' assholes.

Send them detailed medical reports about detached retinae.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

"Hey boo how u livin"

Send them detailed medical reports about detached retinae.

Or pictures of your knees cleverly ensconced in a bra

Bonus points if you're especially hirsute

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you're gonna put something in a bra for a photo prank it's gotta be the butt.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    So you guys may be aware that I have switched careers and am now working in IT. Namely internal stuff for our company - we handle the AD, and computer management and repairs and software and security... etc etc. I was hired to be the go-to for Macs as they become a standard offering to employees but I do a lot of other stuff too.

I'm sure this is old hat to those of you who have been in IT for years but I've finally gone ahead and created a special folder in my inbox to preserve the real gems we get in our ticketing system.

For instance, the old dude yesterday who is a member of too many UNIX groups but wants to be removed from one that he just isn't a member of. When I asked if he'd recently logged out of his sessions at all, he ignored me. I sent him a screen cap of the list of groups to which he actually belongs and asked him to choose the one that he would like to be removed from, and he ignored that. I also asked how he was generating the list of groups to which he belongs, to which he responded: "I ran the linux command "groups" in a terminal. Is there any other way?"

I'm beginning to understand the jokes people make about linux users.

Oh, or the ticket filed this morning with the following content:
    I would like for you to adjust the heat up again for me please. I borrowed [Dude's] desk clock that has a room temperature sensor in it. His office was comfortable at 74.6 degrees. I’ve let the temp sensor sit in my office most of the day now and it has stabilized around 72 – 72.4 degrees. It is still a bit too cold in my office for me. I am having to wear my coat and button it up all the way.

Right, into my new Elegance & Class subfolder you go!

I am cold at anything under 74 degrees if I'm not moving around. For this reason, I keep a light fleece jacket, a hat, a scarf, and several pairs of wrist warmers at my desk.

Cold people can layer up; it's not a new concept.

This discussion has been closed.