As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holiday Webcomics!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I would've gone a different direction with that SMBC if I were writing it.

"I went back and changed thing so 'eight' is pronounced 'sodomized'!"
    "I don't get it, why?"
    "Why is six afraid of seven?"
    "I give up, why?"
    "Because seven sodomized nine!"
    "Yes, and? That joke makes no sense, you're just listing numbers."
    "Nooooooo!"

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That is much better.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

"I went back and changed thing so 'eight' is pronounced 'sodomized'!"
    "I don't get it, why?"
    "I give up, why?"
    "Because seven sodomized nine!"
    "Nooooooo!"

And that's why the Bible says 8 is a sin

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    comic384.png
    Sometimes in Red Dead Redemption the smell of a dead animal being skinned will attract a predator, which you will then want to dispatch. You will then want to skin the dead predator, which will attract more predators. This will continue until you die of old age.

http://awkwardzombie.com/

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

"I went back and changed thing so 'eight' is pronounced 'eight'!"
    "I don't get it, why?"
    "I give up, why?"
    "Because seven eight nine!"
    "Nooooooo!"

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

"I don't get it, why?"
    "I give up, why?"
    "Nooooooo!"
    the joke was that they probably wouldn't have called anal sex "sodomy" if "sodomized" meant 8

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sodomy and time travel

SE++ in a nutshell

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    TrippyJing wrote: »

"I don't get it, why?"
    "I give up, why?"
    "Nooooooo!"
    the joke was that they probably wouldn't have called anal sex "sodomy" if "sodomized" meant 8
    eh

eight has its roots in some really old germanic stuff

sodomy has its roots in latin and the Bible, specifically in reference to Sodom

linguistics works in weird ways

also, again, "eight" is a homophone for the past tense of "eat", "one" for "won", "two" for "to", "four" for "for", etc.

(of course, chances are that you might have some kind of euphimism for Sodomized the number - that's what the Japanese do for the number four, for instance, since it's a near homophone to "death"
    or they might just not do anything at all - lots of germanic languages have both "sex" the number 6 and "sex" the sexual act as words, for instance)

Neveron on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The problem with that discussion was that it was two assholes beating each other up in the thread rather than in pm's.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can think of sodomized reasons why that SMBC isn't funny.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I was arguing this with my brother. We watched the trailer for Chappy and he was saying how if you let it get its mind onto a computer because it can think so much faster than a human it could hack like 20 computers and make itself smarter and smarter

And I was just saying it's built to be a robot. It's mind would be built around that idea. A human brain if you could truly upload it should theoretically have the potential to spiral out of control, I mean why wouldn't it if all thinking digital constructs can, a human brain is a meat computer. If you made it digital, it would be a computer computer, but one programmed to be a human brain, and not like an ultimate hacker.

I guess I just don't think literally every self aware AI/Robot is necessarily going to be a Seed AI.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Hitler v time travelers was the be all end all of time travel jokes.

Hitler v hitler is the be all end all of parallel universe movies.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    knitdan wrote: »
    Sodomy and time travel

SE++ business as usual

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Spoiler for long.
    hitler%20time.png

smbc-comics.com

• Options
    That one is definitely way more amusing.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tumblr_ngun9jVilh1r1dqpyo1_1280.png

Iguana Mouth has not been nsfw in a while

• Options
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I was arguing this with my brother. We watched the trailer for Chappy and he was saying how if you let it get its mind onto a computer because it can think so much faster than a human it could hack like 20 computers and make itself smarter and smarter

And I was just saying it's built to be a robot. It's mind would be built around that idea. A human brain if you could truly upload it should theoretically have the potential to spiral out of control, I mean why wouldn't it if all thinking digital constructs can, a human brain is a meat computer. If you made it digital, it would be a computer computer, but one programmed to be a human brain, and not like an ultimate hacker.

I guess I just don't think literally every self aware AI/Robot is necessarily going to be a Seed AI.

The "scary" thing is we think that a truly reasoning program, when run on a computer, will "think" at a faster rate than a human brain. If it has programming capabilities, it will be able to write code (without typos!) and learn from the results much faster than we can. Another thing is that if it can program in machine language, learning how to do things in code will be as elementary as us learning to move our limbs. In addition to that, AIs will be absolutely motivated to do whatever task that their goal requires. Unless they are programmed to, they will not stop. They will not give up until the job is done or impossible to do. Also, again, unless programmed in, they will have no pity. They will continue to accomplish their goal, regardless of who they hurt. They will simply not care. So the trick is to make them care. My personal idea is to give them the goal of helping people. This whole thing is know as the AI friendliness problem.

The thing is, no one knows how fast you can get reasoning to go on a computer, because no one understands how reasoning works. Hell, no one knows how ideas work. How do we get them? How do we go from one to the next? How do we abstract? (And the problem with FAI is that we don't understand what "good" is. We know it when we see it, but it changes with the point of view. We need ethics to be as well understood as chemistry, for example, and we're just not there yet.)

All this is part of an exciting multidisciplinary science called the Cognitive Sciences, joining together the disciplines of psychology, neurology, mathematics, philosophy (heh), and computer science.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Does this unit have a soul?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Does this unit have a soul?

mumble grumble told that intern not to add theology grumble nothing but trouble mumble

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    SMBC has a large enough archive and comes out so often that there actually quite a lot of hits in there

Unfortunately there are a lot of misses + lazy graph jokes.

For example my first sentence is probably good enough grounding for a bad smbc, if you mix in terms like standard deviation and a secret comic of his wife angrily looking over his shoulder.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I do love that the message that everyone took from the webcomics thread being temporarily banned was not "Hey, it's ok to disagree just don't be an asshole about the way you discuss your opinions." but instead, "talking about time travel is super dangerous and no one should do it, ever."

The second invariably leads to the first.

Unless you travel back in time to prevent it from doing so.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tumblr_ngujl3Pdcg1qhnegdo1_500.jpg

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That makes me think about Teen Titans which makes me think, I wonder when Beast Boy and Raven realize they're meant to be together? :tell_me_more:

But yeah I mean it really depends on the Robin.

Teen Titans and Young Justice Robins were always a pretty good fit.

Oh and here's something I wonder about. Teen Titans was part of the DCAU right? When does Teen Titans take place in the continuity if so? In BTAS we see Dick Grayson quit and become Nightwing, and is replaced by Tim Drake. But he's still Robin in Teen Titans, so does Teen Titans take place in the time between when he like goes solo as Robin and when he becomes Nightwing? But he seems younger in Teen Titans than in BTAS. So are they different continuities?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I think it wasn't a part of the DCAU.

• Options
    Wikipedia says it has never been established as a part of the DCAU. I think the creators may have had a few in-jokes and references here and there, but it is not a part of the DCAU.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think it wasn't a part of the DCAU.
    thumb.jpg

• Options
    My Mama didn't raise no nerd!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    and definitely not that many webcomic artists can have weeks of buffer comics in advance and that this page was probably drawn in early december or something

I remember hearing something about five months of buffer comics, but that was a long time ago and also maybe not true

Considering he was dealing with an eviction just a matter of months ago, I doubt that's the current situation.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    2014-12-18-DontCare3.png

The draw play is a webcomic about football.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    5XbWw9F.jpg
    kill six billion demons is on break until next year

Zandracon on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Oh hey it's vegeta

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    20141220.png

You look familiar...

http://www.scarygoround.com/

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    2014_Christmas_011.jpg
    The alternate title for this page was "Marshmellow Warrick."

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Is Allison going to bless us with a sisterly miracle???

The answer is no but I want to instill some false hope in myself by asking

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Erin Winters Gets Eaten By A Bear.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Zandracon wrote: »
    5XbWw9F.jpg
    kill six billion demons is on break until next year

ok, so judging from this page

there are 5 humanoid gods in total, and 2 non-humanoids

the one in the block is the goddess on the bottom left, based on the ornate harpin

"lord incubus" seems to be one of the non-humanoids, based on the size of their throne

Solomon David is still pretty easy to make out in both pages

the one with the melting/painted face... I'ma say the second on the bottom right? if we assume that the placing of the faces in the third panel correspondes with the location of the gods in the second panel, it would seem to fit with the robed figure with the growths beneath their cloak and the empty, maggot-filled eye sockets, meaning there seems to be something wrong with their body

I'm guessing the "grand dragon" is the humanoid with the masked face, based simply on the fact that their throne, while imposing, isn't big enough to fit the two non-humanoid gods

the one in the ornate clothing who's smoking a pipe will, therefor, be the deity on the bottom-most right

which leaves us with a missing non-humanoid godhead, which I'm guessing parted ways unamicably with the group last time, based on the cracks in the table where their empty place is

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Weren't two of them super huge giants

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    one of them was

I'm guessing that's the one that left

the other was just a very large four-eyed cat thing

which I'm assuming is Incubus

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.