As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I kind of want to get illustrator, just because it's on steam so I can use my total playtime as motivation.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    or maybe it's opencanvas? hm

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I kind of want to get illustrator, just because it's on steam so I can use my total playtime as motivation.
    I'm not sure I'd want to start over just to get all the achievements, though.

• Options
    Ok, a Monday at the office is probably not the best time to give up caffeine (again), when I'm just sitting around and have nothing distracting me from the withdrawal headache.

I need to arrange a day on the weekend sometime where I can just spend the whole time running a gauntlet of unexpected non-stop physical activity- like if you were going to try to make a Disney PG rated movie that was like Crank crossed with The Game, just without all the murdering and exhibitionist sex and creepy clown dolls and Michael Douglass.

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    In my experience canada seems pro electric kettle at the workplace compared to places I'd work at in the us. I remember being pleasantly surprised at the sight of this paraphernalia, a tea geekiness welled up inside me. I'm pretty basic with my tea- black or earl grey, no cream, 2 sugars.

I had never owned an electric kettle until moving here, and now? I don't think I could live without it. It's used at least every other day.

They're always on stoves aren't they? The non-electrics. And then they take ages and can't turn themselves off so you gotta jump up from whatever you were doing to stop them from making that frantic squeel or you turned the wrong knob and come back to discover an absent burner brightly lit. At this point you decide that perhaps it would be wise to use the microwave and risk the potential humiliation in admitting it's use to close relations.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    I think I have a problem.

For whatever reason, it's incredibly hard to work up the motivation to draw. Unless I plan to immediately go out and wheat paste it somewhere conspicuous.

It's super odd. I can't use the pieces for my portfolio since that's the most obvious way to get caught, I can't really share outside of a close friend circle, but there's nothing that gets me fired up and working furiously like the thought of slapping the piece on some bare stretch of blank space somewhere. It does me no good except for the practice- I have to be pretty confident in a piece to deem it worth of street artin'. Maybe I just have a dire need to decorate this city.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kallisti wrote: »
    In my experience canada seems pro electric kettle at the workplace compared to places I'd work at in the us. I remember being pleasantly surprised at the sight of this paraphernalia, a tea geekiness welled up inside me. I'm pretty basic with my tea- black or earl grey, no cream, 2 sugars.

I had never owned an electric kettle until moving here, and now? I don't think I could live without it. It's used at least every other day.

They're always on stoves aren't they? The non-electrics. And then they take ages and can't turn themselves off so you gotta jump up from whatever you were doing to stop them from making that frantic squeel or you turned the wrong knob and come back to discover an absent burner brightly lit. At this point you decide that perhaps it would be wise to use the microwave and risk the potential humiliation in admitting it's use to close relations.

I don't really understand America's kettle aversion. They're an insanely useful appliance even for a non-tea-drinker.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    The Breville kettles are awesome. They have preset temperature buttons to heat the water depending on the kind of tea you're making.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Yeah I have a Cuisinart that does the same thing. You can get a breville that actually drops the steeper into the water for a set amount of time though.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think I have a problem.

For whatever reason, it's incredibly hard to work up the motivation to draw. Unless I plan to immediately go out and wheat paste it somewhere conspicuous.

It's super odd. I can't use the pieces for my portfolio since that's the most obvious way to get caught, I can't really share outside of a close friend circle, but there's nothing that gets me fired up and working furiously like the thought of slapping the piece on some bare stretch of blank space somewhere. It does me no good except for the practice- I have to be pretty confident in a piece to deem it worth of street artin'. Maybe I just have a dire need to decorate this city.

@Viktor Walters

Just FYI, we cant really condone illegal anything on this forum, so people here may not have much to say on the subject. I believe there are communities for street artists out there, if you care to look.

Honestly though, I would look into finding some legit gigs to do public work. If its motivating to have your stuff seen, you may be able to do it legally. There has been some efforts in Baltimore to reclaim walls from slum lords, and its not exactly legal, but it is at least organized. Street art is a local endeavor, so I suggest trying to get involved in your local scene.

• Options
    Ahhh yeah Black Mirror Christmas special tonight! I think I may have pissed myself a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOHy4Ca9bkw

It's got that jerk from Mad Men cause apparently he's a huge fan? Aren't we all.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Honestly though, I would look into finding some legit gigs to do public work.

Fair point! I've done some research around the area and found some local projects for parks and such. I've got a line on joining up with a group.

• Options
    Holy shit that was fucking amazing.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    Sooooo, I know @Mustang was hoping to get a sense of how this kinda thing stacks up to a Cintiq, but it looks like it might be awhile before I can fill you in completely.

The only thing I can glean so far is that if the precision is always going to be the same as what I was getting from the Wacom app, a Cintiq is definitely an immediately appreciable leap forward on that front. There's a similar-but-different kind of disconnect when it comes to precision with the iPad and a regular Intuos tablet on PC, in that you're never quite 100% sure where your strokes are going to end up- but on the iPad it's more down to the hardware not really being built to do that, and on the Intous is more down to your own mental ability to translate tablet space into monitor space with accuracy (if that makes sense). With a Cintiq, the accuracy isn't perfect, but the hardware is good enough that it feels more like most of the time if you get a stroke wrong it's on you- your hand slipped, your head was in a different spot when drawing than when you calibrated it, etc.- rather than on the hardware.

Once the apps get up to speed I think the iPad will make for a decent little painting sketchbook, but I think for straight-up drawing I'll stick with pencils and paper, just because that precision doesn't seem to be quite there yet. (And I struggle enough with drawing accurately already, with my sloppy-ass butterhands.)
    Maybe a process of doing a sketch in pencil, taking a photo of it with the iPad and painting it from there might be an interesting way to try to have it both ways- I'll have to try to experiment a bit.

@Mustang‌
    Ok, so ProCreate updated today, and the stylus works (although it says unsupported, the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the palm rest thing?), so I guess I can update on this.

My initial impression just doodling with it (I just dicked around with it for a couple minutes so it's not an extensive review) is pretty much the same as I said before- a Cintiq is a lot more precise, and the iPad does weird things (ie: it's hard to do close together parallel lines without having them just draw on top of each other instead, drawing small circles tends to turn them into more square-ish shapes, there tends to be a lot of offset between the pen tip and where the line actually gets drawn). The pen pressure and the pen itself is nice, but it just doesn't solve all the issues.

Still is probably decent enough for impressionistic painting, or if you have the patience to zoom way in so you've got more sensors to even things out to workaround the aforementioned issues- but if I wanted to do some more work on the go I might opt for a laptop with a standard Intuos plugged into it, or possibly a Surface Pro instead (haven't had a chance to use one of them myself so I don't know how they stack up in comparison). Or I could save up the cash for one of the standalone Cintiqs, if I were in the market for a new laptop anyway.

If you're looking at getting a Cintiq though, it's probably worth trying one out first to see if you think it's worth the price tag (partly because I'd feel like a heel if you sprung for one just on my word and it didn't live up to your lofty expectations- they're great, but it's not like it's like a non-stop orgasm rainbow or some shit)...but to be honest I have no idea where you'd go to do that unless you've already got a job where people use them (or know someone who does), as it's a pretty specialized piece of equipment. Sneak into an art college one night maybe? Buy one from a place with a liberal no-questions asked refund policy?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Tomorrow will be my last day as a UI Artist (who occasionally does concepts and textures)...when I return from break in January, I will be on another team, and a full-time Concept Artist! (...who will help with UI down the line, if needed :) ).

I'm excited to finally reach a point where I get to draw every day. :)

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Huzzah! Congrats ND!

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Living the dream!

• Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about splurging on an anatomical sculpture, 3DTotal's being the cheapest, something like an AnatomyTools or Giust Gallery figure being more expensive... but I worry I'm just throwing money at something new. A desktop figure seems like something nice to have around, does anyone else use one?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    and i clicked the wrong chat.

hello artists!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hallo! Welcome to the wonderful world of Art!

Please grab a complimentary pencil set and box of crippling self-doubt!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We're supposed to get pencil sets?

Oh god, I must've grabbed two self-doubt boxes.

• Options
    I bought a Chemex coffee maker yesterday. I'm going to make so much coffee this weekend!

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Grifter wrote: »
    I bought a Chemex coffee maker yesterday. I'm going to make so much coffee this weekend!

Been seeing those at the local coffee place lately and got interested, should let us know how it goes.

Anyone else here besides me get sinus infections every winter like clockwork? It is infuriating, and the doctors never give me good answers when I ask how to prevent them. DAMN YOU SINUSES!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I do, too

My mum believes it has something to do with dry air from indoor heating, and I feel like it approximately corroborates my experiences

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    My nose dries out like a Martian sandstorm when I run the heat too high.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Who here has or knows someone that has Famicom games? I need game box specs! The internet has given me dimensions at both 5ish inches in length AND 7ish inches, and I don't know which is right. I'm specifically looking for the Megaman/Rockman box sizes and trying to find out is exhausting.

Also hi hi hi

• Options
    Yeah I've heard the heater/dry air thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case as I do live in Colorado, which is basically a desert.

I don't has famicom games, but hi hi back at ya.

• Options
    Dear Hollywood,
    The following groups, and ONLY the following groups, are allowed to use the phrase, "shut. up." in the awe/excitement sense.
    -offensively stereotypical ditsy valley girls

Sincerely,
    Kevin

I loved Big Hero 6*, but when they gave that line to one of the main characters I couldn't help but be like, "you know nobody outside of a screenplay actually says that, right? Please stop trying to make it a thing. It is not a thing, nor is it worth making a thing. This is by no means thingworthy, and repeated attempts at forcing thingness upon it has not and will not push it past the threshold of thingitude."

At least I hope that's the case, because if children pick up this phrase I'm going to start dismissing an entire generation as a pack of insufferable little snots.

*I'm sure this has been in other movies as well, but the only one I can recall off-hand is The Zookeeper with Kevin James, of which I've only seen the trailer of in the context of the Half in the Bag guys jokingly mistaking it for a trailer parodying the kind of moronic "all ages" comedy movies that, as far as I can tell, absolutely nobody on Earth likes. But I'd argue the phrase wouldn't have worked even if the context wasn't Kevin James driving a CG talking bear up to a TGIFriday's (The bear's favorite restaurant! Somehow!) in a sub-The Wizard example of product placement.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I also kind of hated "San Fransokyo" and all the stereotypical Asian architectural designs. As if the Japanese are incapable of building buildings without a tea house tile roof. UGH

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    I dunno, I thought the backstory they gave it was actually kinda clever (read this in the Art of book, in a note by the Enviro Art Director Scott Watanabe)- that in this universe, after the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 destroyed a ton of San Francisco, many decided to rebuild using architectural styles that would better stand up to earthquakes than the Victorian model- hence the old school traditional pagoda-esque buildings in the older parts of the city (where in the real San Francisco there are still tons of older Victorian-styled buildings from that era), while newer buildings like the expo hall and the downtown skyscraper buildings have a more modern international aesthetic (maybe I'm wrong but skyscrapers seem pretty similar looking these days no matter what country they're located in).

Maybe this is the architectural equivalent of a 'she's wearing bikini armor because she's EMPOWERED' argument, but I dug the aesthetic of it. Also if there was an anime movie where there was a fictional town called Kyotoxford, having a bunch of Gothic architecture pop up there probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Grifter wrote: »

Been seeing those at the local coffee place lately and got interested, should let us know how it goes.

I made coffee for my wife and myself this morning. The brewing process is quite simple and easy to perform. The coffee that it produced was tasty. I think it's fairly comparable to the Aeropress in terms of flavour. However, you can make a lot more coffee with it than the Aeropress can. I think the Aeropress is going to be reserved for when we go camping or to a cottage from now on so that we don't have to drink instant coffee any more.

I like the design of the Chemex. It's a good looking device. I also like that you don't need a separate item to put your coffee into. It's an all in one item for brewing and pouring your coffee.

• Options
    Nice! Thanks for the update Grift, almost exactly what I was hoping to hear.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I am compiling a list of potential clients I would like to work for and so far I've included game companies (table-top) and sci-fi / fantasy publishers. Also some children's publishers. Any suggestions for other avenues to pursue?

F87 on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow will be my last day as a UI Artist (who occasionally does concepts and textures)...when I return from break in January, I will be on another team, and a full-time Concept Artist! (...who will help with UI down the line, if needed :) ).

Ugh, I remember when we were all just a bunch of hapless kids with spare time to doodle and DMAC was the only one with a drawing job.

Now look at us. well, not me, but the rest of us.

The successful ones, look at them.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I can't!

Their aura is too bright!

Ohlordieloolordiehoo

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I can't!

Their aura is too bright!

Ohlordieloolordiehoo

DBZ_scouterexp.gif

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular

Ugh, I remember when we were all just a bunch of hapless kids with spare time to doodle and DMAC was the only one with a drawing job.

Now look at us. well, not me, but the rest of us.

The successful ones, look at them.

You and me friendo

• Options
    Standing in a store where they play 'Wish it could be Christmas everyday' and getting super creeped out.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Gas is like, a $1.93 here right now.

Gonna drive to all the places.

• Options
    Oh man I just came back to the AC without even realizing that the holiday forums were no longer in effect.

It's good to be back!

I caught lots of fish yesterday in Florida (the Gulf) and got a sunburn! But I caught the biggest fish of our group! It practically took my arm off. Called a sheepshead fish, and are very tasty. The big one was about 20-21 inches long...maybe 8 pounds. Biggest fish I've ever caught. Woo!

Might pet some manatees in a few days and then we're going to Puerto Ricooooooo

<3 vacation

This discussion has been closed.