As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yay, more babby! [Kids]

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for getting an 11 month old to eat his food? He used to have no problem eating his purees(which we have been trying to supplement with "real food" he can learn to eat), but he started flipping the eff out recently during mealtimes. So we have tried switching over to gerber graduates so he could maybe grab and feed himself(like he does no problem with his puffs) but he's very hit or miss with those. If I put anything on a spoon and put it near him he flails his arms round wildly and screams.

The only thing he east with no prblem is those damn, nutritionally vacant, puffs. Oh, and some edamame?

I'm at my wits end, here. He's still drinking formula no problem, but that's gonna go away soon if we can help it.

My nephew has the spoon feeding aversion too. They have since just been having him eat everything by hand and he's doing fine. Like 90th percentile height and weight fine.

For Leah, she still doesn't mind the puréed stuff by spoon but does prefer hand feeding herself. Cheerios were the thing that really got her going, so maybe try those of you haven't?

Good luck!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah you might not be having a food problem but rather a control problem; have you tried giving him the spoon? My kids picked up on it pretty quickly and it alleviated a lot of the meal-time anger; my second kid (who was a fucking prodigy at eating) was handling her utensils solo by age 7 or 8 months and she did ok. They'll end up grabbing a lot of stuff by hand anyway but they're kids and kids be messy, I wouldn't sweat that.

Also if you're still doing purees at 11 months then you might be way behind the solid food 8-ball. Again with my second kid but she's been eating solids since she was 4 months old; I DO NOT ADVOCATE THIS EXACTLY but she was actively trying to get our food away from us at that point so we said fuck it and kept an extremely close eye on her and she made it work. Tiny chunk up whatever you're eating and see how he does.

Suitable intro solids: Black beans, potatoes (sweet, white, or otherwise) in very small chunks, soft carrots likewise in very small chunks, peaches, cherry tomatoes (quartered), softened-in-the-microwave apple/pear/plum bits, bread/rolls, rice, cheese in many forms, adult cereal of your choice, goldfish/saltine/ritz crackers, etc etc etc

Not to Elbasunu specifically but anybody with newish kids, we did baby-led food intro with both of our kids and it worked like a treat. If they show interest in food give them some, there's teeth under those gums and if you're paying attention to the size you give them they won't die, and for heaven's sakes make your own purees so that they know what food tastes like.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh bananas are leah and my go to snack food too. She lives for smashing it all in her mouth even after I have taken the time to cut it into small pieces. She does like it and gets all excited when I grab one to peel.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    rex was also very eager to put real food in his mouth from 5 months on. his little hands are still a bit inept to get it in with much effectiveness, but we've gradually been introducing more complex stuff to his diet - this week was spinach, zuch and fetta omelette and dutch pancake. his staple solid is still mostly avocados and roughly mashed veg, he goes nuts for anything orange, but we've been adding different combos and flavours (fresh ginger is a good one).

anyway after 6 months i don't think it's ever too early or late to start stepping up food choices with babies. i've also found anything he's maybe a bit dubious of or disinterested in, he'll eat eagerly after i start stealing from him. so if you try sitting down all together as a family and eating the same food it could work.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    He doesn't exclusively eat goop, he loves bananas, and some other things.

I think you're right that it's a control issue. I gave him the spoon today and he seemed to really want to get the stuff in his mouth, he's just not there yet. So we did a spoon for him, and one for me, but he still fought tooth and nail and didn't really accomplish much eating :(

Today's attempts were diced apples. Yesterday was carrots. I think they are too goopy to finger food for him. He loses interest because he can't pick them up as well as his puffs.

Edit: I think we're done buying goop anyway, so it's all gonna work itself out, one way or another. The real issue is that mommy and daddy are lazy and don't always make a dinner that a baby can share in.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Just keep trying, he'll totally get there.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So, that was fun.

It was one of those long, hot, stinking Summer evenings where the whole house feels like a slow cooker and the best thing to do about it is to stretch out naked on some cool sheets in a shady bedroom at the back of the house until the Sun goes down, which is exactly what Jen set out to do the moment she got back from hanging out from with some friends. She let me know that she had had a couple drinks and was feeling pretty relaxed, so if I wanted to join her, I was welcome, once I settled the boy, which as we all know is code for 'if we're going to be hot and sticky and sweaty, it may as well be for the fun reasons'. Naturally, this was not an offer I felt like turning down.

So, needing to occupy the youngest household resident for a period, I put on the current favourite movie, sat him in a chair, set out some snacks and toy distractions near to hand, and, satisfied he was suitably occupied, crept down the back corridor to join my wife in our bedroom*.
    *: Remember when you it was thought it was tough sneaking around your parents house as a teenager? Like all things adolescent, it turns out that it was just another easy mode kind of childhood preparation for the pro game of making some alone time once you're an adult with kids of your own in the house. Who knew?

Knowing that we probably only had twenty or so minutes, we knew to make the most of our time. Fortunately, we're both used to the situation now, and have gotten much more adept at the 'quickie' and tend not to waste much time under pressure. Some races are marathons, long and scenic, where you can take in the journey as you navigate the curves. Others are purely about getting across a small distance as fast as possible with the least amount of inconvenience. After a decade of marriage we know the best plays and shortcuts and dependable go-tos, so we forgive each other the abbreviations and necessity for straight-line speed in the early stages. The boy was set, the sheets were still cool, and what little noises were being made were positive and breathy.

With both of us bringing our A-games to pre-game show, it wasn't long before we were ready for the main event. A tug on my shoulder, I pin her to the bed, and we line up for starting positions...

JUUUUUICE. JUUUUUUUUICE!

Don't get distracted, stay in the moment.

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE! JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE!

He's fine, he's not hurt or injured or trapped, you can just keep...

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE! JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE!

It's a fleeting whim, any minute now he'll move on to the next thing, any minute...

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE! JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE!

*sigh* Well, my formerly rampant desire is now probably now described as no better than semi-rampant and seeing as we'll apparently have no peace until he's sated I'd better go get him a juice.

And whatever else, now that the spell of engrossment and distraction has been well and truly shattered. Some reading, some play time, some other food.

tl;dr:

I literally had cliche sit-com toddler coitus negatus at the comedy timing moment. I now withdraw all those times my internal monologue criticised the too contrived and perfectly coincidental timing of the baby crying or whatever of the parents of newborns trying to rekindle passions or whatever. That shit actually happens in real life. And it is hilarious.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Our little girl decided that between 2am and 4am was the IDEAL time to figure out how to count. For two hours I literally couldn't shut her up whilst she yelled out:

"One...two...feee... whore.... hive... six....eight... nine... ten!"

Never did get "7".

I was a combination of proud she could count to six and annoyed that I should really really be asleep.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Had a weekend with kid related drama I have to share somewhere and since it's a situation this thread is aware of I'm going to share. I'll even spoiler it since it's not baby/toddlerish, it's big kid troubles :)
    So my niece who had lived with us all summer due to family living situations that I've discussed here before comes to stay this weekend (not unusual). Apparently her dad and girlfriend had been fighting/arguing so she wanted to escape a bit. She got a text Friday that things had gotten too nasty, cops were called, her dad was arrested in a he said/she said fight. So...the girlfriend kicks him out of their apartment AND wipes his bank account clean.

So he gets out of jail, and crashes with a friend, a friend who my wife's sister won't let my niece stay with for justified safety concerns. We step in, offer to keep my niece for a few weeks, saying that we would drive every day to bring her to school and then again in the afternoon, until her dad can replenish his bank account. This is 45 minutes each way - so we're offering to do 3 hours of driving daily to keep her safe, with gas/toll money out of our own pockets. This is after we had her live with us all summer with no financial help from either parent.

My wife's sister (niece's mother) flips out, says she'll take us to court, that we have no right, and that even though she knows my niece doesn't want to live with her that she'll make the courts force it (probably not going to happen since they took custody from her already, the father has full custody). She then tops it off with terrible insults towards my wife saying because we couldn't have our own daughter we're stealing hers (knowing it took years for us to have our son due to infertility, this was a very hurtful claim).

The crazy part is that it's only really for 8 more months this is an issue at all, my niece already has the paperwork to be emancipated on her next birthday and I'm pretty sure she'll end up living with either us or another aunt/uncle once that's done...and we'll probably have her a bunch this summer again.

Fortunately, the girlfriend decided to let them keep the apartment (she claims for my niece's sake, but I think she just couldn't afford the place by herself). That means as of this morning everything should be ok for her to go back home to her dad, but what a frigged up weekend. I'm pretty sure we're done dealing with my wife's sister forever, and I'm frankly disgusted at the whole situation.

Oh, and on top of that we had no heat most of the weekend (furnace troubles Thursday into Sunday morning) and my son's best friend stayed with us because his mom is in the hospital. It's rare that the stress of all this causes me to need to vent/share with folks, but today my head was just far too full to keep it to myself. The balancing act of helping others while maintaining my own little family is sometimes just so challenging.

I know kid appreciation is it's own reward, but sometimes you feel so beaten up and taken advantage of that you wish in a weird way that her dad would show up with sometime simple like a cookie, and just be like "Thanks for everything, I got you a cookie". Or my wife's sister could just tell her she does appreciate us trying to keep her kid safe and in school by a simple thank you card.

TL;DR, don't worry about it, just another weekend in my house. I think I need a vacation - or some gin.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Treatment for conjunctivitis is the worst. Yes, I'll just hold my one year old down and put eye drops in each eye every two hours. He'll love that.

Doesn't help that he has a built in tilt sensor. Lay him back past a certain angle and he'll thrash around and try and turn himself back over screaming all the while. That's been making nappy changes fun for the past 10 months, so this is a new twist.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    @Lindsay Lohan‌ You and your wife are straight up GOOD PEOPLE. I'm blessed with a wonderful family, but I'll be damned if I still wouldn't be happy to be related to you.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Treatment for conjunctivitis is the worst. Yes, I'll just hold my one year old down and put eye drops in each eye every two hours. He'll love that.

Doesn't help that he has a built in tilt sensor. Lay him back past a certain angle and he'll thrash around and try and turn himself back over screaming all the while. That's been making nappy changes fun for the past 10 months, so this is a new twist.

It's terrible - I am 38 years old and I squirm and fuss at the idea of putting drops in my own eyes. I remember trying to do it to my son was the worst.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Had a weekend with kid related drama I have to share somewhere and since it's a situation this thread is aware of I'm going to share. I'll even spoiler it since it's not baby/toddlerish, it's big kid troubles :)
    So my niece who had lived with us all summer due to family living situations that I've discussed here before comes to stay this weekend (not unusual). Apparently her dad and girlfriend had been fighting/arguing so she wanted to escape a bit. She got a text Friday that things had gotten too nasty, cops were called, her dad was arrested in a he said/she said fight. So...the girlfriend kicks him out of their apartment AND wipes his bank account clean.

So he gets out of jail, and crashes with a friend, a friend who my wife's sister won't let my niece stay with for justified safety concerns. We step in, offer to keep my niece for a few weeks, saying that we would drive every day to bring her to school and then again in the afternoon, until her dad can replenish his bank account. This is 45 minutes each way - so we're offering to do 3 hours of driving daily to keep her safe, with gas/toll money out of our own pockets. This is after we had her live with us all summer with no financial help from either parent.

My wife's sister (niece's mother) flips out, says she'll take us to court, that we have no right, and that even though she knows my niece doesn't want to live with her that she'll make the courts force it (probably not going to happen since they took custody from her already, the father has full custody). She then tops it off with terrible insults towards my wife saying because we couldn't have our own daughter we're stealing hers (knowing it took years for us to have our son due to infertility, this was a very hurtful claim).

The crazy part is that it's only really for 8 more months this is an issue at all, my niece already has the paperwork to be emancipated on her next birthday and I'm pretty sure she'll end up living with either us or another aunt/uncle once that's done...and we'll probably have her a bunch this summer again.

Fortunately, the girlfriend decided to let them keep the apartment (she claims for my niece's sake, but I think she just couldn't afford the place by herself). That means as of this morning everything should be ok for her to go back home to her dad, but what a frigged up weekend. I'm pretty sure we're done dealing with my wife's sister forever, and I'm frankly disgusted at the whole situation.

Oh, and on top of that we had no heat most of the weekend (furnace troubles Thursday into Sunday morning) and my son's best friend stayed with us because his mom is in the hospital. It's rare that the stress of all this causes me to need to vent/share with folks, but today my head was just far too full to keep it to myself. The balancing act of helping others while maintaining my own little family is sometimes just so challenging.

I know kid appreciation is it's own reward, but sometimes you feel so beaten up and taken advantage of that you wish in a weird way that her dad would show up with sometime simple like a cookie, and just be like "Thanks for everything, I got you a cookie". Or my wife's sister could just tell her she does appreciate us trying to keep her kid safe and in school by a simple thank you card.

TL;DR, don't worry about it, just another weekend in my house. I think I need a vacation - or some gin.

Good looking out for your niece man, you're good people.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated. It was just a very frustrating weekend and I think my nerves are just shot.

Now for something completely different. We bought tickets for a concert this week. It's my son's first real big, indoor concert. He's 10, and we managed to get floor seats to Garth Brooks. It should be a great show, and it's not general admission or anything so it should be a fun, safe show for him. My question is, should we do something for ear protection? I've been to concerts where I've seen kids wearing ear plugs, but I think they've been younger than Luke. I think I did my first concert at around 13 years old, and I know I didn't wear anything at the time, but I'm old and safety recommendations change yearly it seems.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    How big is the venue and where are you seated in relationship to the stage?

If it's a big stadium and you're closer to the stage, I'd definitely get some hearing protection.

The recommendation is hearing protection if it's a sustained > 95 dB, which most rock concerts will be over.

Edit: And speaking as someone who has a friend who is a former professional musician due to chronic tinnitus, it's good to teach your children to wear hearing protection.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Bring ear plugs. They are cheep insurance. They can stay in your pocket if not needed.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Slacker71 wrote: »
    Bring ear plugs. They are cheep insurance. They can stay in your pocket if not needed.

Agreed- You might find that even though the decibals are technically not at a harmful level, your kid might ask for them anyway (from personal experience with loud concerts myself as a kid)

• Options
    We're at the Boston (TDBank) Garden - so pretty big - I'm thinking the crowd noise could be more of an issue than the music. We're on the floor, on an end which should be great in terms of him being able to see around people, and we're about 11 rows from the stage (a bit more because there is a walkspace between two sections in there as well).

I think that's what I'll do - grab some and have them handy just in case.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Take earplugs. Teaching him now that his hearing is important should mean it's more likely to stick later on. At 18 it took me three days to get my hearing back after an against me gig at a small venue, so ever since then I've always packed ear plugs that offer at least 20db protection. The foam ones are cheaper, but wax ones stay in easier.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    That moment when you realize you're still watching Peg + Cat even though the kid is napping.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    That moment when you realize you're still watching Peg + Cat even though the kid is napping.

Oh god, me and the missus do this all the time. Oftentimes it's to make fun of something--Peg + Cat, on the other hand, is because we like singing the Problem Solved song.

• Options
    Rousing parenting success of the day: when I lock a microwave, I do it right.

uOTrFT0l.jpg

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My three-year-old niece is in the hospital. Her babysitter was at-fault in a car accident and didn't have my niece in her car seat. She was ejected through the back windshield. This was two days ago, she's had two surgeries, and they're still keeping her sedated. Her right arm is broken and the wrist is shattered, and she might lose the vision in one eye.

I am so sick at heart and so, so angry.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    jesus fuck that is terrible what the hell was the sitter thinking not putting the kid in the seat

I hope she heals up well

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    MadEddy I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you guys. Let us know if we can do anything!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    man, that's horrible. all my thoughts to the little family.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks, y'all. It's my understanding that charges have been filed against the babysitter.

I wish I was not so far away from my family. This is the worst.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    That's terrible news. Your family is in my thoughts MadEddy.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    That's awful, I wish I had more to offer than that.

I shake my head sometimes at how fanatical my wife is about car-seat safety but for real kids, use your car seats and make sure they're installed properly.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Finished editing some photos this weekend, allowing me to do this:

9685231788_4b97f04db5.jpg15729378044_52ed71342e.jpg

9681993673_160cb3080c_z.jpg16164421660_35b43245e2.jpg

Same playground, one year apart.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Thanks to Peg+Cat I had to figure out how to make a honey cake immediately. Thank goodness for mug cake recipes.

• Options
    Thanks thread - the concert was a success. The earplugs were used for about half the show (he especially put them in on any song with a lot of female vocals, I think the higher pitch bothered him). By the time we were back to the hotel he said his ears were perfectly normal - which is a crap ton better than my first concerts when the Black Crowes left my ears ringing for about two days.

• Options
    So my niece is going to be blind in one eye. Gonna be a long road to recovery for her, too.

They woke her up briefly but she's in so much pain they sedated her again. Still in the ICU.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuck

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    That is fucking awful Eddy

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    That is just terrifying. My wife and I are trying to have kids, and I lie awake some nights worrying about something like that happening. Parents, how are you not constant nervous wrecks?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    That is just terrifying. My wife and I are trying to have kids, and I lie awake some nights worrying about something like that happening. Parents, how are you not constant nervous wrecks?

Your assumption that all parents are not constantly nervous wrecks mystifies me...

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    You just sort of get used to a constant level of terror. I'm only 5 months in though. On a similar vein, my dad had a nightmare of me drowning in a red shirt once. Before I woke up the next morning, every red shirt I had was in the trash.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Fffff... I am past 36 weeks now. Due date is the 12th of Feb, but since when do babies follow due dates?

I have the oddest feeling that as soon as I get all my ducks in a row this week, she's gonna pop out.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Remember this bundle, a mere minutes old?
    VzLTKdm.jpg

She's one whole year old now!
    BClVAZF.jpg

davidsdurions on
This discussion has been closed.