As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] This thread got turned into a pink bunny, find the new one.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Boom baby!

8uhisd9ja229.png

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Mushroom Kingdom Warriors?
    Plenty of characters, especially if you include the rpgs.

The problem being that the past RPGs are seldom referenced. Super Mario RPG is a Square Enix thing, and that's led to precious little following it-- enough that I think Nintendo couldn't even call Paper Mario "Super Mario RPG 2," if I remember correctly.

As for Paper Mario itself, I can't remember offhand, but Sticker Star barely references ANYTHING that came before as the previous titles did. The preceding titles were better about that, and I think even The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi had some light cross-references.

At least Mario & Luigi itself has a bit of a continuity going, but I don't know if there's really enough there to make a sold Warriors type game.

In short: It'd be awesome, but I don't know if it's anything Nintendo is interested in doing.
    Or why not got whole hog and just have Smash Bros Warriors?

...that would arguably be a pretty good use for amiibo. You'd have a core set of characters or some that come with it, of course, and others can be added...

...well, that would be the case, were it not for the scarcity of some characters. So maybe scratch that.

Though if not for that, I'd say it would be neat if their Warriors moves were based on their SSB loadout from customizing...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I can support the idea of a Smash Brothers Warriors only if the whole game is rendered in the style of this guy's ukiyo-e take on the characters.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

As for Paper Mario itself, I can't remember offhand, but Sticker Star barely references ANYTHING that came before as the previous titles did. The preceding titles were better about that, and I think even The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi had some light cross-references.
    That's because Miyamoto specifically stated they weren't allowed to use anything but the well known canon mario characters.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

That's because Miyamoto specifically stated they weren't allowed to use anything but the well known canon mario characters.

Sometimes it feels like Nintendo has the opposite problem that Sega does. While Sega keeps bringing back all of Sonic's shitty friends that nobody likes, Nintendo creates a lot of cool supporting characters but only keeps them around for one game. That's why I like Hyrule Warriors.... we get to play as characters I never thought we'd see again.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    edited January 2015
    heenato wrote: »

And I know Miyamoto made that call, and I've still not forgiven it.

That said, I mean unless Miyamoto allows such a thing, I have a hard time seeing it happen. Sometimes I wonder if he grits his teeth at just having Rosalina show up again.

If we got a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors, I'm unfortunately afraid that instead of using Goombella or Koops or Madam Bow, we'd just get a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa or a Boo-- like every party, sports game, or even Puzzle & Dragons.
    Sometimes it feels like Nintendo has the opposite problem that Sega does. While Sega keeps bringing back all of Sonic's shitty friends that nobody likes, Nintendo creates a lot of cool supporting characters but only keeps them around for one game. That's why I like Hyrule Warriors.... we get to play as characters I never thought we'd see again.

Pretty much this. That's part of why I was hoping that HW would be more its own thing altogether, rather than "its own thing, but pulling characters from other continuities." I liked the idea that maybe these characters could stay on in a more permanent form here like they're one big team, like your heroic Masters of the Universe versus Skeletor's Evil Warriors and the like.
    Tingle is clearly the Orko.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    No, Tingle is the Stinkor.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I can support the idea of a Smash Brothers Warriors only if the whole game is rendered in the style of this guy's ukiyo-e take on the characters.

That is the greatest art I have seen in ages. Thanks for the link. I'm totally sending that along to some friends.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    A massive blast of flame tears through the enemy lines, knocking Goombas and Koopa Troopers aside by the dozen. As the smoke clears, the lone man decimating the forces of King Bowser becomes visible. Red overalls and a white cap, bearing the red M that has come to symbolize doom for entire armies.
    The demon opens his mouth, and the survivors are chilled by his battle cry...
    "Yeah! A-ha-ha!"

The Red Yoshi among Yoshi, Lu Igi among men.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    If we got a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors, I'm unfortunately afraid that instead of using Goombella or Koops or Madam Bow, we'd just get a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa or a Boo-- like every party, sports game, or even Puzzle & Dragons.

Possibly, but a solution to such a hypothetical is to have specific characters of Goomba or Koopa Troopa be costume skins anyway

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Dynasty Warriors and Mario seems like such a horrible fit. My general gist of the whole "genre" is part mowing down hundreds of paper soldiers and part climactic duel with a general or other significant enemy. All done using crazy weapons and fighting styles. Zelda was already half way there with its legacy of weapons and monsters and such. Combining the two is like combining peanut butter and chocolate. But Mario? That seems like combining peanut butter and... I don't know, melted cheese or something. They're just two completely different flavors. Maybe if you whipped up a demo for proof of concept or something and it turns out it works, anything's possible. But Hyrule Warriors still feels like a Zelda game when it's all said and done. I don't think you could make the same claim at all with a Mushroom Warriors game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Mario mows down slews of turtles over the course of 8 worlds to rescue his princess in the castle, it's not *that* farfetched

But we don't have enough things with Mario slapped on it.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mario mows down slews of turtles over the course of 8 worlds to rescue his princess in the castle, it's not *that* farfetched

It's pretty farfetched.

If you can turn this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPYqtmIC1s

Into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907GQJUxHSU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU9py6p5uDc

Well, I think you've got your work cut out for you. If you can do it though, I'll be the first to give you a high five. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    hkirzbq54myw.png

Time to get Zelda up to par.

@MNC Dover‌ , you might know the answer. If a character's move is Strong attack and elemental, and you have Strong+ and that Elemental+, do you get double bonus damage?

Twili Midna's strong attack is a pretty badass and useful dark attack. Trying to figure out if Strength+ and Darkness+ gives it a double buff or if you only get 1 buff per attack.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    @MNC Dover‌ , you might know the answer. If a character's move is Strong attack and elemental, and you have Strong+ and that Elemental+, do you get double bonus damage?

Twili Midna's strong attack is a pretty badass and useful dark attack. Trying to figure out if Strength+ and Darkness+ gives it a double buff or if you only get 1 buff per attack.

The Strong+ is basically buffing her stand-alone X attack. The Elemental+ will increase the benefit of the elemental affect of the weapon. I don't think that gives a x4 damage buff though. Sorry!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Possibly, but a solution to such a hypothetical is to have specific characters of Goomba or Koopa Troopa be costume skins anyway

I would love that! Even more if it was like the Koopalings in SSB, for instance.

But no, that never happens. The characters they had us become invested in, however little, might as well not even exist any more.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Dangit, HW. Where are my alternate character costumes? Where's my Zelda costume for Sheik (and vice versa), or Lana for Cia?

Why must you taunt me by pitting me against alt-loadout characters in Adventure mode, and not have a way for me to use them myself?

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Dangit, HW. Where are my alternate character costumes? Where's my Zelda costume for Sheik (and vice versa), or Lana for Cia?

Why must you taunt me by pitting me against alt-loadout characters in Adventure mode, and not have a way for me to use them myself?
    That used to be a bug that they patched out.
    Link using the Summoning Gate sure was a thing...and yes, he danced like Lana.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The rewards you get from non-Zelda amiibos may not be entirely random:

http://www.reddit.com/r/HyruleWarriors/comments/2q9wbr/exploiting_amiibos/

Kind of like exploiting the not-so-random number generator in pokemon games.

All I know is the game shows no love for my Pikachu Amiibo. Damn near guaranteed 1 rupee every time.

Wait. I mean my Son's Pikachu. Yeah.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there any trick to getting materials to drop?
    I've got a decent weapon with Materials+ and no Slots+ or Stars+, but after playing the reward map with all the female heroes at least a dozen times, I've gotten exactly no materials to drop from Zelda.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I've got a decent weapon with Materials+ and no Slots+ or Stars+, but after playing the reward map with all the female heroes at least a dozen times, I've gotten exactly no materials to drop from Zelda.
    Are you killing the captains near your starting point and Midna while waiting for time to pass? And saving Zelda for last?

The game tries to force weapon drops so you get at least three weapons per map, and if you're killing Zelda early before other captains or commanders you are more likely to get a weapon from her instead of materials.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Are you killing the captains near your starting point and Midna while waiting for time to pass? And saving Zelda for last?

The game tries to force weapon drops so you get at least three weapons per map, and if you're killing Zelda early before other captains or commanders you are more likely to get a weapon from her instead of materials.

I'm usually killing her last.
    I spend a few minutes clearing out my corner of the map, then go recruit Midna, fight Agitha because she usually has the most health left, then have to deal with Impa, Lara and Fi more or less together (happily a single special usually takes care of them).
    Zelda likes to go for my keeps, so I hoof it back there to take care of her. A couple of times she's managed to get herself killed by my forces, but I usually get the kill.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Oh man that was the first comic trade I ever owned

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Link and for some reason Jet from Cyborg 009 blow up Ganon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Every new entry into that comic series in Nintendo Power was like Christmas Morning for me back then.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    preorders!?

Don't bother, it'll be sold out in 5 minutes and reappear seconds later on Ebay for 3-4 times the price /s

Still mad I couldn't get a Majora's Mask edition 3DS XL despite checking directly after the announcement.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Anyone know if they're doing a Majora's Mask special edition strategy guide like they did for LBTW? I have been looking but I haven't seen anything.

HeraldS wrote: »
    Anyone know if they're doing a Majora's Mask special edition strategy guide like they did for LBTW? I have been looking but I haven't seen anything.

There's this

108662b.jpg
    http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/strategy-guides/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-collectors-edition-official-strategy-guide/119586

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    That would make a nice tattoo.

Hmm. Scanned 5 Amiibo just now (1920) got 5 weapons. That's never happened before. All 5 were final weapons at that.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    That might kill the remake for me.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Meh. Making the Great Bay Temple easier to traverse is important to me, and I don't mind getting some Chateau Romani to get the full speed again.