As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Awesome Moments] Is My Business – NSF56K

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I don't think I will ever get tired of DC whipping out that pony, now someone explain it to me....again
    It's literally what Brainiac does to the places he attacks. Stopping Brainiac, but not able to fix one of his conquests (the city of Kandor), is one of Superman's lesser-known but bigger failures.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I don't think I will ever get tired of DC whipping out that pony, now someone explain it to me....again
    It's literally what Brainiac does to the places he attacks. Stopping Brainiac, but not able to fix one of his conquests (the city of Kandor), is one of Superman's lesser-known but bigger failures.

Oh I remember that, and I know that it was carried over to a particular city in Russia in this comic, and I know the emotional weight of that object, I just don't understand why he breaks down at the letter.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Oh I remember that, and I know that it was carried over to a particular city in Russia in this comic, and I know the emotional weight of that object, I just don't understand why he breaks down at the letter.

Because Superman wants to protect everyone.

Luthor makes Superman realize that the extent to which he's going to protect everyone makes him no better than Brainiac - people need to be free to screw up and fail and to build things for themselves. At best, Superman is keeping humanity in an eternal adolescence. At worst, he's effectively keeping humanity in a bottle.

Once Superman - a good, ethical man - realizes that he's been a tyrant for decades, the realization breaks him.

Exactly as Luther calculated.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Because Superman wants to protect everyone.

Luthor makes Superman realize that the extent to which he's going to protect everyone makes him no better than Brainiac - people need to be free to screw up and fail and to build things for themselves. At best, Superman is keeping humanity in an eternal adolescence. At worst, he's effectively keeping humanity in a bottle.

Once Superman - a good, ethical man - realizes that he's been a tyrant for decades, the realization breaks him.

Exactly as Luther calculated.

I actually like the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel scene better:

lexluthorandsuperman1.jpg

lex-luthor2.jpg

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Wow. Ok I've always gotten the bottle thing but only now do I get that the reason Lex can be the hero in Red Son is because in this universe he is right. The rumor help that Millar is said to have received from Morrison must be true. He's not this clever.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    All of this makes the ending to Red Son even more........:D

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The ending ending?
    That Superman is not an alien but Lex Luthor's great great great great grandson?

• Options
    Humanity is like an NES and Superman is like a Playstation 4 and Lex Luthor is betting 8-bit Shovel Knight is more fun than 1080p Killzone 5.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    no

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Archie vs. Predator. an awesome moment I wasn't expecting

archpred1-65860.jpg

(Okay, technically the title is "Archie Meets Predator" from Dark Horse Comics and Archie Comics coming spring 2015)

Zavian on
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, John Constantine-style!
    Constantinenick_zps17649f08.jpg
    Constantinenick2_zps7d284244.jpg
    Constantinenick3_zps7e83efd9.jpg
    Constantine then grinds the remains up into a finely powdered bonemeal.
    Constantinenick4_zps1d125ae9.jpg
    Constantinenick5_zpsea8b402a.jpg
    Constantinenick6_zpsfc517d8f.jpg

Santa Claus, nooo!!

• Options
    Liz Sherman is something of a badass.

lizshermanso_zps4jsgb2vf.jpg

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Liz Sherman is something of a badass.

lizshermanso_zps4jsgb2vf.jpg

Hey, what's this from?

• Options
  • Options
    Zatanna and Black Canary were buying new fishnet stockings at the shopping mall when they passed by a toy store.
    canaryzatanna1_zps0ftp2qfq.jpg
    canaryzatanny2_zpsletbfmgn.jpg
    canaryzatanna3_zpsqgjcwtcp.jpg

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Zatanna and Black Canary were buying new fishnet stockings at the shopping mall when they passed by a toy store.
    canaryzatanna1_zps0ftp2qfq.jpg
    canaryzatanny2_zpsletbfmgn.jpg
    canaryzatanna3_zpsqgjcwtcp.jpg

I don't know what I love more, the Adam West Batmobile or the JLU watchtower.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    How about that they have Superman's supermobile from Super Friends toy line? :biggrin:

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My four year old thinks Sinestro is cool and wants a yellow power ring after reading Forever Evil this week.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Find him some stories with Sinestro in his pre-Rebirth design.

SINESTRO_challenge_of_the_superfriends_060111.jpg

That might take care of that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    My four year old thinks Sinestro is cool and wants a yellow power ring after reading Forever Evil this week.
    Find him some stories with Sinestro in his pre-Rebirth design.

just don't show him the last pre-Rebirth Sinestro story
    SINESTRO_break_neck_060111.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Is this thread dead? If it is, sorry, but I really like these threads because they point out comics I might otherwise miss.

Was going to nomination Iron Man: Hypervelocity since it's the Iron Man version of Macross Plus. It's really, really good. One the best single Iron Man stories I've read.

http://4thletter.net/2010/07/6-writers-adam-warren/
    If Chuck Dixon brought Guns’n’Ammo to Punisher, Adam Warren is the guy who brings Scientific American and a fat folder of esoteric technology-related Wikipedia bookmarks to the superset. Iron Man: Hypervelocity is honestly probably the only Iron Man comic you need to read if you want an Iron Man story that fully engages with the character and the world he theoretically lives in.

Iron Man is theoretically a high tech hero, but his high tech is usually limited to what, a new kind of laser beam and an uglier suit? Warren and Brian Denham created an Iron Man story that actually used real-life technology to enhance Stark’s fake comic book tech. Repulsors are all well and good, but at the end of the day, they’re just a laser beam. Rockets in your shoes aren’t high tech, and neither is on-board radar.

Normal Iron Man putters around on his jet boots and sometimes uses his hands to adjust his trajectory. He’s essentially your generic airplane, or maybe an arrow. In Warren’s hands, though, Iron Man gained a new tool: high-speed thrust vectoring. It’s not a new technique by any means, but it is a fantastic visual and interesting to see. Boiled down, thrust vectoring is the act of changing the direction of your propulsion, Iron Man’s rocket boots, to instantly adjust his trajectory. When combined with propulsion from Iron Man’s palms, you suddenly have an Iron Man who doesn’t maneuver like a man at all. He’s infinitely more maneuverable and isn’t stuck on just a horizontal or vertical plane. The sky is his playground. Rapid fire direction adjustments means that dogfights suddenly aren’t just about your on-board computer screaming about some guy on your six.

warren-06.jpg

Iron Man, or rather his suit, is an absolute terror. Fighting off both a massive SHIELD task force, and a group of ultra elite killer cyborgs.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Hypervelocity is pretty great.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    For those who haven't been following Hellboy / BPRD recently:

bprdhe135p4.jpg

Johann, good old ghost seance man, is now inhabiting what's likely to be his final "body": a World War II era exoarmor called the Sledgehammer. What does it run on you ask? Vril energy. What's Vril energy you ask? Remnants of the power of God from the creation of the Earth.

And now he's slugging it out with Ctuhulu spawn on an hourly basis.

And as for Liz?

Liz-kicking-the-Black-Flames-arse.jpg&q=95&w=288&zc=1&a=t

She's doing fine.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    I read Hypervelocity a few months back. For the most part it's really good, however it is very much a product of it's time. Stark is drawn as Pierce Brosnan and characters are forever ending their sentences with -yo, Jesse Pinkman style which is a bit jarring in 2016.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    manji wrote: »
    I read Hypervelocity a few months back. For the most part it's really good, however it is very much a product of it's time. Stark is drawn as Pierce Brosnan and characters are forever ending their sentences with -yo, Jesse Pinkman style which is a bit jarring in 2016.
    I don't really think it's a product of it's time, that's just kind of how Adam Warren writes a good chunk of his dialog. It's definitely one of his archetypes; Major Havoc (from Empowered) is a good example.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    manji wrote: »

I just enjoyed technology being displayed as technology instead of magic, which is how most Iron Man stories use it.

Technology does really cool things really well, but reversing the polarity of the magnetic field does not cure cancer or make gravity turn off.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    wrong thread

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    My awesome moment was bringing my kids (10, 8, and 6) to FCBD and them being thrilled to pick out free comics.

It didn't hurt that one of them won a Superman statue for knowing which docking bay Han Solo parked in.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Hmm?? New posts? Ah yes! Nice comics! Awesome stuff. That BPRD thing looks great!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the whole Hellboy universe is almost universally amazing.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Been reading to my kids the Darkwing Duck books. They love it.

lwt1973 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I do hope this thread continues. With the DC Rebirth i'm trickling back into comics and I was really sad to see that this thread has a years worth of content on one page.

I was kind of wondering about the demographic for comics like Darkwing and Scooby Doo. There's good stuff in there but it's nice to know a new generation is being introduced to them as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm sure you all remember the time when Guy Gardner became the sole, legal owner of our entire solar system, right? No? It happened back in the 90s not too long before Doomsday was running around smashing up things. One day, an advanced alien appeared in orbit without warning and started harvesting natural resources from the planet. The Justice League intervened and half of them were captured in minutes. When confronted by Superman, Maxima, and Guy, the mysterious alien had this to say:
    9oz7b6nbxbup.jpg
    7nr2k7gbvypv.jpg

With no hope of winning a fight against the alien's technology and no chance of getting aid from other worlds, Maxima and Guy devise a trick on the fly.
    fl5eg0stdltu.jpg
    adozosg17kv9.jpg

Satisfied, the alien leaves Earth peacefully with the fake space bucks. Only one issue remains ...
    92rvl6kxqhav.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Let's celebrate Father's Day with the ultimate Dad joke.
    1ykazcnweohf.jpg
    40fhsoichp1p.jpg
    jdajqp1i3q6p.jpg
    qfnmcvzsshh3.jpg
    yrlreki0ntpo.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My new favorite comic:

images_zpsq3pxajuz.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It's like the entire 1990s has been distilled into this single page. The only thing missing is one of those head socks that Gambit is fond of.
    vhh9exsowrfl.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    The sad thing is, that's a weak-sauce retread of the original version.

tumblr_inline_nvrgg9CDW41sa5pgl_1280.jpg

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I can't tell what I love more- the tiny skull zipper on the carry-on bag, or the second image's audacity to remove the skull from his chest, but leave the teeth.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I can't tell what I love more- the tiny skull zipper on the carry-on bag, or the second image's audacity to remove the skull from his chest, but leave the teeth.

If they had left the skull, the street surgeons would have known who he was immediately.
    Makes perfect sense.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The teeth are magazine pouches, at least in the classic design.