As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reveal Knob's embarrassing repressed fetishes in the [Indie Games] thread

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    there are no good excuses to play GTAV

what about the excuse of

liking good games

you should go play some of those then

so

GTAV

no, because gtav isn't a good game it's a bad game

pistols at dawn

pistols at now bam ur dead

*vwwwmmmm* forcefield

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Inquisitor wrote: »

what about the excuse of

liking good games

so

GTAV

So you dump on metal gear for its problematic portrayal of women (which it does have issues with) but GTA (GTA!!!!?) gets the thumbs up? Bwah?

They aren't even fucking close

Noone in GTA gets repeatedly raped and then has a bomb shoved up their fucking vagina

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

what about the excuse of

liking good games

so

GTAV

pistols at dawn

*vwwwmmmm* forcefield

Kerstab.

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

GTAV could stand to have more female representation

Tracy and micheal's wife are good, complex characters though

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

what about the excuse of

liking good games

so

GTAV

pistols at dawn

*vwwwmmmm* forcefield

no I had forcefield piercing bullets

PNk1Ml4.png

what about the excuse of

liking good games

so

GTAV

pistols at dawn

*vwwwmmmm* forcefield

no I had forcefield piercing bullets

Kapwing metal skin

no zack you're not playing right!!!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular

Pretty good joke, I had quite a laugh!

signature.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Michael's family are all completely one-note garbage people and it's probably the most disappointing aspect of the storytelling

6F32U1X.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    FpqyK85.gif

JohnHam wrote: »

Pretty good joke, I had quite a laugh!

Tracey is portrayed as a party girl but she's actually pretty level headed and is instrumental in getting the family back together

Amanda is crazy in a similar but opposite way as micheal and they bounce off each other super well

Her realization at the end that they're too fucked up for a therapist but that they actually like it that way is one of my favorite things in the game

Mr. G wrote: »
    Michael's family are all completely one-note garbage people and it's probably the most disappointing aspect of the storytelling

Nah

listen I have the calvinball and I say this is the metal skin zone

if you touch the opposite pole you can reverse it

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Metal Gear and GTA are both great

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    In the case of Homeworld

I think that game is actually hard to play on newer OSes, so a version that works better is a great thing

Yeah, I haven't been able to play my old copy in years, so I'm pretty excited for a hd version.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

listen I have the calvinball and I say this is the metal skin zone

if you touch the opposite pole you can reverse it

That's the nega-Calvinball! It means that you're in the nega-zone and your metal skin prevents your body from getting oxygen and you die.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Everybody is going to have different stuff that is more or less distasteful to them, and also they have the option to enjoy the rest of a piece of media in spite of those problems.

There is no sexism-o-meter or something that tells you this thing in MGS is this much more or less sexist than this thing in GTA.

And calling out someone for enjoying something with problems just because they don't enjoy some other thing with problems is, to put it kindly, a little weird!

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    GTA V's story/"comedy" is bad

GTA V's world/online is great

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Everybody is going to have different stuff that is more or less distasteful to them, and also they have the option to enjoy the rest of a piece of media in spite of those problems.

There is no sexism-o-meter or something that tells you this thing in MGS is this much more or less sexist than this thing in GTA.

And calling out someone for enjoying something with problems just because they don't enjoy some other thing with problems is, to put it kindly, a little weird!

while this is true i also feel that there is an obsession in discourse like this with preying on the obvious subjects, like vagina bombs or dismembered bikini statues, and it's common to dismiss things like gta's portrayal of women because it's "not as bad"

but like, i'm deeply uncomfortable with brushing things aside because you want to target things that no sane person would defend

i think discussion about the writing of women, even if they're not JJ cups in bikinis bouncing everywhere, is way more important to solving the subversive sexism in the industry than loudly disparaging the latest fanservice character

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I liked GTAV's story, more or less

I think that Franklin ended up being completely squandered though, which might be my biggest criticism of the story

His "narrative arc" kind of spun its wheels for awhile and then completely took a back seat, and at a certain point you wonder why he's even still there

why doesn't rockstar just actually hire the writers of crime movies

PNk1Ml4.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If GTA V had cut Trevor and split his screen time between Michael and Franklin, it would probably of been better, in my opinion.

That or if they had gone all the way with Trevor and fully made him the Saints Row-esque crazy character, instead of the weird halfway point they stopped at where he's ends up just being unlikeable.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I bought GTA V again on PS4 and I'm noticing even more horrible shit this time around.

Put the writers into a murder slingshot and fire them into the sun

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    The few times Trevor ends up "hanging out" with Franklin and Lamar are pretty great.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

while this is true i also feel that there is an obsession in discourse like this with preying on the obvious subjects, like vagina bombs or dismembered bikini statues, and it's common to dismiss things like gta's portrayal of women because it's "not as bad"

but like, i'm deeply uncomfortable with brushing things aside because you want to target things that no sane person would defend

i think discussion about the writing of women, even if they're not JJ cups in bikinis bouncing everywhere, is way more important to solving the subversive sexism in the industry than loudly disparaging the latest fanservice character

In fact, GTA would only improve if it wrote better female characters and did away with it's shitty, nihilistic satire.

hell i think all the male on male interactions ( :winky: ) are actually pretty solidly done in gta

there's just this GLARING weak spot

liEt3nH.png
    Shit, I think @ThatDudeOverThere‌ posted a good video about GTA's satire once.

You still got that thing duder?

X22wmuF.jpg

boy I wish this part was true

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    GTAV's treatment of women (and people in general, really) bothered me way more than any game I've played to date.

I came out of it loathing almost the entire experience.

IKknkhU.gif

boy I wish this part was true

The operative word is sane person

liEt3nH.png
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Shit, I think ThatDudeOverThere‌ posted a good video about GTA's satire once.

You still got that thing duder?
    it was this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZcX_ZdlW3Q

also the indie game gtav needed more heist

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I used to have a mod I loved for Homeworld that added tons of tiny point defence turrets to all the ships. They did no damage but fired super fast and added a ton of random explosions and tracers to make battles look even crazier!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

hell i think all the male on male interactions ( :winky: ) are actually pretty solidly done in gta

there's just this GLARING weak spot

I don't think anyone's going to disagree that GTA handles 'women' in general extremely poorly

that said, the team that handles the background and world in GTA is lead by one of the biggest shitbags in writing

the actual female characters in the main storyline are pretty good

they're insane and terrible

but so are all the male characters, and I actually genuinely liked both amanda and tracey

the radio, incidental dialogue, and signage are all garbage and should be treated as such

in fact just drop the open world roaming and make it a semi-linear heist game

PNk1Ml4.png
    GTA3 was the only game where I enjoyed the radio ads and the talk station

From Vice City on it's felt exceptionally weak

written by quentin tarantino

PNk1Ml4.png
    in fact just drop the open world roaming and make it a semi-linear heist game

The actual open world is the best part of these games though IMO

In fact I'd say the mission design is where GTA has always kind of dropped the ball (thought GTAV was better in this regard)

Getting to your destination is typically more fun than what you do when you get there

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    GTAV crossed with Payday 2.

This discussion has been closed.