As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Sier wrote: »
    Have new yarn and time to use it. Now I just have to decide on which project... Mwahaha!

10,000 yards.

TEN THOUSAND YARDS

Okay, 9492 yards.

BUT NEARLY TEN THOUSAND YARDS.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm making a shrug, for reasons that now escape me, but I found an interesting stitch which is turning out nicer than I thought it would

xkn5lcc0aaap.jpg

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Put together a plan for mounting a knife blade on a home handle I'm making. I'm making it out Nordic materials like birch and moose skullbone and antler, because it's stuff that's near and dear to the guy I'm making it for. The blade is "just" ground out in a factory, but it's good steel and it looks cool. I'm eager to get started, but I'm missing a key tool, a table mounted belt and plate grinder. It's stuck in customs somewhere in eastern Europe or some such. Dang it, I want to grind out that antler right now.

Pretty big pic of the plan, so I put it in spoilers.
    ny6t6togohui.png

The thoughts behind the design were mostly about avoiding fingers slipping onto the blade. The moose skull bone at the very end is super dense and hard, so I'm hoping it'll see some action as a blunt tool for killing northern pikes, cause that's how my friend likes to kill his fish.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I bought one of @Typhoid Manny 's nail necklaces at the Shot of Ice and Fire bar crawl at Pax South.
    I love it! It's very cool. Your craftsmanship is a credit to yourself and this community.
    I also personalized it a bit.
    20150130_145336_zps41t4czjx.jpg

I wrapped wire around the hilt and polished the blade with a dremel cloth polishing wheel. I used red rouge followed by white rouge. White rouge is ridiculous on steel.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Alright, so I got to the Bar Crawl really late, sadly, and it took longer than I thought it would to make my addition to the auction. I did manage to make it there, and they did manage to go up for auction though!

So here's pictures of my Stark wolves. The ones I brought were cleaned up cast from these masters and painted (sadly it was not my best paint job though :bigfrown: ).
    The Direwolf of Lord Stark
    20150119_160230_zpsyx2wyh7_edit_1421707768531_zpsecdrod42.jpg

The Direwolf of Lord Tony Stark
    20150130_161403_zps45llm6ir.jpg

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I bought one of @Typhoid Manny 's nail necklaces at the Shot of Ice and Fire bar crawl at Pax South.
    I love it! It's very cool. Your craftsmanship is a credit to yourself and this community.

I wrapped wire around the hilt and polished the blade with a dremel cloth polishing wheel. I used red rouge followed by white rouge. White rouge is ridiculous on steel.

holy shit dude, that looks so good

also doing the wire wrap on the grip and crossing it over the quillions is an idea that i'm gonna steal for further versions!

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The really are gorgeous. I wore mine with the earrings all weekend.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

holy shit dude, that looks so good

also doing the wire wrap on the grip and crossing it over the quillions is an idea that i'm gonna steal for further versions!

You did a great job on making it! I love the work you put into making it.

Polishing with rouge is something I picked up sort of out of self defense. Because I was the "composites repair guy" at our shop (aircraft structure) I had to take care of the composites tool box. Well, we're not supposed to use any tool oil on composites tools because they could contaminate the bonding process for fiberglass or graphite repairs. So, I would have to clean up 100+ bare metal tools every week. That meant a lot of rust or corrosion removal, and a lot of extra work.

One week I sat down and looked at my options. I couldn't add any substance to the tools, but I could try to limit the corrosion reaction. A rougher surface is going to corrode more than a smooth one because of increased surface area. So I took out all the tools and dies, sanded out and gouges or tool marks with 320 grit, then took them to the buffing wheel. I start with a few passes with Emery on the wheel, then Rouge, then White Rouge. The rouge is just a grit of sand held together with a wax, so it didn't leave any residue after you wiped it down with alcohol. Bars of it are also pretty cheap.

People would joke about how I would "Polish my tool", but after that first time I only had to repolish tools in my toolbox once a month. The rest of the time I could wipe it with a rag and be done. Now, I don't recommend it for everything, but White Rouge puts a high shine on metal, and if you smoothed it out before, you walk away with a mirror shine. Larger objects are a little harder to get a consistent surface on, but man it sure is pretty.

Steal my ideas all you want! I don't think there's anything I make or have made that I won't show someone else how to do. If someone makes something from that, then I'm all the happier for it!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Were these tools custom made in-house? Is that why they weren't hard-chromed like pretty much every other steel hand tool?

• Options
    Were these tools custom made in-house? Is that why they weren't hard-chromed like pretty much every other steel hand tool?

Our dies were pretty much all machined in-house. Some of the hand tools were old and had their coatings worn off by years of people being careless with taking care of them (trying to remove dried on resin with angle grinders, for instance), some had the coating removed or broken up from use (punches and hammers particularly), or were bought from the lowest bidder and didn't have especially good protection in the first place.

QA was/is also a pain in the arse so if there was any deformation like the end of a pin punch being deformed (mushroom headed from use), or the inspector claimed to see a spot of rust on it, it had to be sanded/ground. Which took off the protective coating, which we couldn't put back on, which ended up in there being more corrosion. It was the military, pointing out the flaw in that logic got me into enough trouble. A few years of that and most of the tools would lose their coating or the majority of their coating. In the case of our composites toolbox most of the tools hadn't been replaced in nearly a decade.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Our dies were pretty much all machined in-house. Some of the hand tools were old and had their coatings worn off by years of people being careless with taking care of them (trying to remove dried on resin with angle grinders, for instance), some had the coating removed or broken up from use (punches and hammers particularly), or were bought from the lowest bidder and didn't have especially good protection in the first place.

QA was/is also a pain in the arse so if there was any deformation like the end of a pin punch being deformed (mushroom headed from use), or the inspector claimed to see a spot of rust on it, it had to be sanded/ground. Which took off the protective coating, which we couldn't put back on, which ended up in there being more corrosion. It was the military, pointing out the flaw in that logic got me into enough trouble. A few years of that and most of the tools would lose their coating or the majority of their coating. In the case of our composites toolbox most of the tools hadn't been replaced in nearly a decade.

Ugh. I feel for you.

• Options
    The coolest thing about this knife project I'm doing is that my dad gets to tell me all of his old stories and that I actually listen now. He was a mechanical engineer during the German Wirtschaftswunder. As a part of his education he spent years in workshops making his own tools. They'd hand out a plate of tool steel and expect a fully formed hacksaw to exists within the week. He still has that hacksaw. It is a goddamn jewel of German workmanship.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I've decided on the Orchid Thief shawlette pattern for my next project. It was one of the first patterns I earmarked, so I figure I should complete it one of these days.

Browsing patterns on Ravelry is dangerous. In trying to pick a project, I've added something like 20 to my queue.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Two hours soldering a 12 pin LED. Six wires spliced together each way to form the circuit because they make 12 pin LEDs but not 12pin LED mounts apparently.
    I finally connected the battery and...
    it exploded.

I didn't check the voltage on the battery. Well, damn.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Two hours soldering a 12 pin LED. Six wires spliced together each way to form the circuit because they make 12 pin LEDs but not 12pin LED mounts apparently.
    I finally connected the battery and...
    it exploded.

I didn't check the voltage on the battery. Well, damn.

:bro:

• Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    Version 2 of my Seahawks ultimate fan costume. I made a different skirt and put one of my not-so-great embroidered logos in it, and got smart and put the cyberlocks and batteries on a hat instead of tied into my hair to help prevent having headaches. The LEDs are also much brighter, and done in 3 sets of 3 to each 9V battery. The plan was for 4 complete sets, but I only was able to finish 2 before the Superbowl.

10363624_10204268041993617_6390856043437091997_n.jpg?oh=02159533000f4767e0746360db5603d5&oe=554C70EC
    10955605_10204268021273099_8999934071459442757_n.jpg?oh=3061739b6ac481f97acfdb5947bf3093&oe=55557EEC&__gda__=1432106517_71b7c930f72e8406d83167b1798eb36b
    19295_10204268023233148_1442548544221185604_n.jpg?oh=29692532916295d034d1124ce9dcfb8a&oe=554DCD14
    10945617_10204268023993167_4990641087895887543_n.jpg?oh=089e5277ea8bac56838ed271668d09ff&oe=559580F4
    10409453_10204268025033193_3067563310056456919_n.jpg?oh=ce9efffbae5ae6c1356fb8cbdfe9834c&oe=556477F5
    10959330_10204268025873214_7066874330935235351_n.jpg?oh=1b732c40682a5930cfb44e7e9059b237&oe=556506BC&__gda__=1432257923_0ac48065b1d14c20cfdc151a82d12eb6

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I should probably make an item to give away at the crafting panel at PAXEast

Oh yeah

Hey I'm speaking on the PAXEast crafting panel you should go if you're going to PAXEast.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    P.S. It's Sunday at 3pm in the Cuttlefish theater

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I made these eggs for my cosplay at south, I made them from paper mâché and designed them and painted them myself. This was my first big craft and I fell in love. I've decided to work on even more eggs and get a collection going. :)a51y3p6sf7bf.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So my wife made this cute little thing last night for her colleague's new baby.

u2IIqRF.jpgEzUhwfT.jpg9mXSIdK.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhh. Pattern? Crochet or knit?

So. Cute.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Looks crochety

Not knittish

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That means I could do it! Pattern pretty pretty please? If she's willing to share, of course.

• Options
    She bought the pattern from etsy, so she's a little hesitant to give it out I guess. It can be found here though.

• Options
    Ah. If it was purchased then don't blame her.

Thanks folink though

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Thought I'd ask here.. I want that coat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWgf-UqkD_A

Any pointers? My google-fu failed me.

To be precise the Black Price's coat/duster

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Do you want that specific prop or just a coat which is similar

[edit] Costumes aren't props, I know!

Platy on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Apparently you can get his (his stunt performer's) armor from the movie for a thousand bucks

Also, I just realized that this isn't the fashion thread

Platy on
  • Options
    My crappy band saw broke last night. Cheap tools aren't worth it. That goddamn thing was so noisy and awful I don't even want to replace it.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    nFH8pxq.jpg

kkzvOJ4.jpg

The first picture is of some paracord lanyards I've been working on recently.

The second is a necktie I've been working on for the last month.

Edit:better photo of necktie

knitdan on
  • Options
    Knitdan, is there a pattern for those? What would I look for?

• Options
    Search for "how to make a survival bracelet" should give you plenty of links to both written instructions with pictures as well as YouTube videos if you learn better that way.

550 paracord can be found online or at most big outdoor stores, generally you need around 12 inches for every inch the lanyard or bracelet will be.

They are made with something called cobra stitch, (it may have other names as well) and also it is useful to learn how to make a lanyard knot.

• Options
    The necktie was from Extreme Double Knitting by Alastair Post-Quinn.

• Options
    I wonder what happens if you try to do that with yarn.

• Options
    It'd probably be a lot thinner, like a crochet chain. yarn compresses and you're basically tying granny knots (or square knots? I dunno) around a central core. I thought about trying it but got distracted with other stuff.

• Options
    Anyway, this is the reference I used, it has links to the techniques you need.

http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/paracord-lanyard.html

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I wonder what happens if you try to do that with yarn.

We used to make plant hangers out of yarn with this (and similar) stitches, it looks similar, but I think we used more strands in the core so it was flat and wide rather than compressed and square

This discussion has been closed.