As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    When I had to play Samus in a little RP we did, I sort of tried to find a way to merge these completely conflicting ideas. Basically, I went with a character where the money was honestly just a tertiary reward - being a bounty hunter allowed Samus freedom to go around carrying around more weaponry than a fleet without law problems but without being actually beholden to direct authority, and a hotline to what the most dangerous criminals in the galaxy are at the moment, which were quite a benefit. She'd go after the bad guys even if money was not in the equation, really, but hey, since she's taking them out anyway, might as well cash in and see that the money gets a better use than rotting in the Federation's coffers. Was a bit of a patchwork, but the other players liked the idea.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Just don't mention to Nintendo that what Mario does isn't actually plumbing.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Just don't mention to Nintendo that what Mario does isn't actually plumbing.

What do you mean?

I got rid of a fire-breathing plant that was clogging my toilet by stomping on a flying turtle. I had to eat a shroom first, but it worked like a charm.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Bounty hunter is definitely cooler than mercenary, especially since the latter, as an adjective, seems to be exactly what Nintendo was objecting to in Retro's vision.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a lot better than I was when I first played Echoes, but the boost and spider guardians have only taken a couple tries each this time around. The lack of save room access before spider guardian is a little obnoxious though.

I hate to break it to you...but MPT's Normal is actually easier than the original Echoes release.

Oh, I'm just replaying it on GameCube at the moment - haven't booted up trilogy yet since I can't be bothered to dig out my wiimotes. Is Hard Mode available from the outset in Trilogy's Echoes?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just a lot better than I was when I first played Echoes, but the boost and spider guardians have only taken a couple tries each this time around. The lack of save room access before spider guardian is a little obnoxious though.

I hate to break it to you...but MPT's Normal is actually easier than the original Echoes release.

Oh, I'm just replaying it on GameCube at the moment - haven't booted up trilogy yet since I can't be bothered to dig out my wiimotes. Is Hard Mode available from the outset in Trilogy's Echoes?

Yeah. But Hard is normal. Like with Fire Emblem Awakening.

• Options
    Cool. I'd be pretty ok with just breezing through on my repeat plays, honestly. Pick up all the scans I was too panicked to get, admire the scenery, smell the toxic flowers...

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Silly question, perhaps, but has anyone here played any of the Metroid Prime games using Dolphin and an Oculus Rift? I played and greatly enjoyed MP, and I'm one of the lucky bastards who has the Trilogy on disk, but due to my massive gaming backlog I'm wondering if I shouldn't just wait and play the second and third game once the OR is out. Alternatively, how well does the game play with mouse and keyboard via Dolphin? I'm not particularly good at using the Wii controls, even if they're implemented well in Metroid Prime.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, not so much a retconn as a clarification.

That took something like two decades.

Aren't they still calling her a bounty hunter in materials and such, though?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I've always felt it a bit silly that we have so little story in Metroid games, but thats the series Nintendo fans tend to debate the most on. It's potentially the most interesting, partly because we have to fill in so many gaps. I think Nintendo killed most Zelda timeline talk by just making it downright ridiculous to even try anymore.

I did like the story in Fusion. I don't think it went overboard. Prime definitely had my favorite kind though. The whole story was optional reading and being a scifi bookworm I scanned every little thing I could. My first play through when I was 13 the only miss-able scan I missed was the ice shriekbats. Mainly because they suicide at you and look near identical to their normal version.

Any future Metroid games really need to stick to optional story text, in my mind. Ideally that means we won't be getting Samus's opinion on anything but I could see them doing something like her ship blew up and chunks of her diary landed all over the planet.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So I'm experiencing Metroid Prime for the first time, thanks to Wii U's eshop. Before this, my only experience with the franchise was Super Metroid.

Guys this game is fucking great. I love how self-directed it feels, even as the game is corralling you to where you need to be to get the next important piece of equipment. I'm still not sure if, on balance, I like the pointer controls or not, though.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Metroid Prime is a treasure.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    One thing I find extremely neat is how the game introduces and hints at new situations so well that often, by the time I make it to a boss or find a new upgrade, I'm thinking "yup, I knew this would be here. let's do this" even though there's no quest log or anything telling you what's going on other than vague hints you find on walls.

• Options
    I just beat Thardus in Metroid Prime. Minor spoilers:
    I totally forgot the spiderball upgrade makes you look like a yo-yo. So awesome.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Nintendo called Samus a bounty hunter because Boba Fett (whom Samus is loosely based on) was a bounty hunter. They tried to make the character cool without fully understanding what a bounty hunter is. It's not a retcon, Samus was only ever a bounty hunter because of language barrier.

Are you telling me Captain Falcon isn't a bounty hunter?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    So I'm experiencing Metroid Prime for the first time, thanks to Wii U's eshop. Before this, my only experience with the franchise was Super Metroid.

Guys this game is fucking great. I love how self-directed it feels, even as the game is corralling you to where you need to be to get the next important piece of equipment. I'm still not sure if, on balance, I like the pointer controls or not, though.
    Can you choose to play the games with a pro-controller and no pointer? Because I would love to play these again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Can you choose to play the games with a pro-controller and no pointer? Because I would love to play these again.

Remote and Nunchuck only, but that shouldn't deter you from playing these games.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/NI0L4GZFgly0lMBWZGpD30Si5pLEmEHd
    The following controllers are required to play this game: Wii Remote + Nunchuck.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Remote and Nunchuck only, but that shouldn't deter you from playing these games.

Yeah, that pretty much means I'll never bother touching it sadly. Minding, I played Metroid Prime and Prime 2 on Gamecube back in the day so it would be more for nostalgia than anything else.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The remote and nunchuck controls made me forever sad that such controls didn't catch on for everyone else. I would love to play something like Far Cry 4 with motion controls.

The freedom of movement and level of spatial awareness is so much greater for me with the remote and chuck versus a gamepad.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Playing MP again on my WiiU, god bless.

Yeah, I like the nunchuk FPS, it is really nice especially for someone who isn't into console FPS otherwise. I got my girlfriend to play through the intro, who hasn't ever touched an FPS, and it didn't take much for her to take to it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The first time I played Metroid Prime I started getting motion sickness and had to stop. This time, I'm playing while sitting far back from a small TV with the HUD lag option off. That's a thing! Not having the frame around the screen kinda waving back and forth all the time seems to help a lot. Had to restart though; I couldn't remember how to get places or do things on my old save four hours in.

I also started playing Metroid II because Club Nintendo and I wanted to compare them. Cleared out all the Metroids in the first area. It seems like this thing could have benefited a lot from being a proper Gameboy Color game. If you can't have a map and you can't vary the terrain much, the least you could do is change the color of the walls every so often. :P (Apparently the Gameboy Color has a pretty built in palette just for Metroid II, but the walls stay blueish-green all game. Also, none of the Gameboy VC games let you use color.)

The map I found online helped a lot. I hadn't realized that the game was basically linear, with open areas branching off. Makes navigation a lot easier. As long as I remember what the central shaft looks like, it'll take some doing to get too lost.
    Renzo wrote: »
    The remote and nunchuck controls made me forever sad that such controls didn't catch on for everyone else. I would love to play something like Far Cry 4 with motion controls.

The freedom of movement and level of spatial awareness is so much greater for me with the remote and chuck versus a gamepad.

Yeah. Also, Prime's gamepad controls are pretty chunky to start with. Samus literally moves like a tank; it feels very constrained compared to pretty much any other FPS, PC or console. Lock-on is nice, but holding down a trigger to aim up and down is something I'm glad I haven't seen anywhere else. It's a bit interesting that Prime managed to capture some of the "stand in one place and shoot" thing that the 2D games had. Well. I find myself doing it in Metroid II, anyway.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Samus was incredibly mobile in Prime once you realized you could do all kinds of silly bullshit with strafe jumping.

• Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    Yeah, not so much a retconn as a clarification.

That took something like two decades.

But Samus would still have a better background as a bounty hunter than a mercenary, because one of those might actually care about the law and the other cares about rules as far as necessary to not get fired for killing the wrong stuff at the wrong times.
    Bursar wrote: »
    My guess - completely unsupported - is that the original writing was that Samus just goes around being a hero and accepting nothing but thanks for it, like the classic wandering samurai or knight errant. Doing it for pay, and not out of the pure goodness of one's spirit, somehow tarnishes the appeal for some people. "She's not a mercenary, for heaven's sake; money is beneath her. It's about right and wrong."
    There's some sense to that, I suppose, but with all the stuff she's done, there's no way she would turn down the grand cash prize for blowing up Planet Evil or whatever. Kinda hard to be the wandering samurai type when you've got to buy fuel for your fancy interstellar Ferrari, which you tend to need to replace every couple of years.

All she would accept was 248 spacebucks, for lunch, gas, and tolls!

(Actually If you consider the Nintendo Comics System canon, not only was she an actual money-collecting bounty hunter, she was #1 in the galaxy!)

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a Metroid game based on the actual aspect of bounty hunting. It's never really been explored in game as far as I know.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Because the developers never meant for her to be a bounty hunter in the first place.
    I think Retro have said that they suggested something where Samus could earn money by hunting some people down for one of the Prime games (I'm thinking 3 or Hunters, for some reason), and got shot down over it.
    "But that's what a Bounty Hunter actually does."
    "Wait, that's how it was translated? No no no, that's not what she is."

It's really left over from back when they didn't take too much interest in how games were translated for other countries, and now they're stuck with it, while not wanting to use it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a Metroid game based on the actual aspect of bounty hunting. It's never really been explored in game as far as I know.

I'd totally take a Star Wars: Bounty Hunter styled Metroid. The diversity and depth of the environments is on a similar level I think.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    klemming wrote: »
    Because the developers never meant for her to be a bounty hunter in the first place.
    I think Retro have said that they suggested something where Samus could earn money by hunting some people down for one of the Prime games (I'm thinking 3 or Hunters, for some reason), and got shot down over it.

It's really left over from back when they didn't take too much interest in how games were translated for other countries, and now they're stuck with it, while not wanting to use it.

Given how Nintendo's vision of Samus culminated, I'm not sure how much I want the franchise to stick to their ideas.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Whew, just beat Prime 1 and 2. The first remains one of the best of all time in my book, but this round of Prime 2 was just a slog. I don't have a problem with Metroidvania backtracking, but throw in three trillion dark world/light world animations in the mix and level design that slows things down far too often and ugh, I'm glad to be done with that one. Which is a shame, because I remember really loving it.

• Options
    I can appreciate Retro trying to do something bigger and better in Prime 2 but they created an overly complex world that was difficult to manage. I think they realized their mistake but went too far in the opposite direction with Prime 3 by breaking up the areas into different planets. One game was too complex, the other too simplistic. Prime 1 was the perfect balance.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Given how Nintendo's vision of Samus culminated, I'm not sure how much I want the franchise to stick to their ideas.

Sakamoto is the entirety of Nintendo now?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Sakamoto is the entirety of Nintendo now?

Nintendo put him in charge and greenlit all the stuff you saw in the final game.

• Options
    Getting awfully close to discussing the one game that shalt not be discussed, aren't we?

• Options
    I'm getting near the end of Prime 1 and my memory of the game is getting a little hazy. I like that. I got a nice fast headstart from having a lot of the first half memorized and now I can end and feel like its sort of a new game. I do have the final boss fight and ending pretty much memorized.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm playing through Prime 1 again. I'm enjoying the back tracking because of "I used to be scared of this place, now I'm destroying everything". Getting the space jump opens up brand new short cuts. A couple of extra missile expansions allows guilt-free destruction.

People need to understand that about Metroid. It's not just backtracking... it's revisiting areas with a new perspective.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Whew, just beat Prime 1 and 2. The first remains one of the best of all time in my book, but this round of Prime 2 was just a slog. I don't have a problem with Metroidvania backtracking, but throw in three trillion dark world/light world animations in the mix and level design that slows things down far too often and ugh, I'm glad to be done with that one. Which is a shame, because I remember really loving it.

Yeah, it's not the backtracking that bothers me, it's the huge headache of having to get across the maps by trying to pathfind by flipping back and forth between dimensions on both the map and in the game itself. It makes trips take two or three times longer than necessary, and it is very frustrating to have paths that look good turn out to be dead ends. Which happens a lot.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not a fan of the whole "dark world" mechanic in any game. It feels like a cheap way to double the size of the game world, and is just boring. It was especially bad in Prime 2 because the dark world was nearly identical except it was all purpley.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Despite being a fan of "metroidvania" style games, I've never actually played a Metroid game. How an I best to fix this?

(to double my shame I actually own a SNES and Super Metroid, but it's on the other side of the country)

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Despite being a fan of "metroidvania" style games, I've never actually played a Metroid game. How an I best to fix this?

(to double my shame I actually own a SNES and Super Metroid, but it's on the other side of the country)

There's a bountiful supply of Metroid games on the eShop.

Buy them all.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Despite being a fan of "metroidvania" style games, I've never actually played a Metroid game.

That should be unconstitutional.

On Wii U eShop you can get Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

On 3DS eShop you can get Metroid and Metroid 2.

Super Metroid and Prime Trilogy are the most worth your time. Get going.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If I had to make a list of what order to play in, I'd go with Zero Mission, Super Metroid, MP trilogy, and then probably top it off with Fusion, though Fusion could probably go in there anywhere after Super Metroid.

Zero Mission is basically an excellent modernized remake of the very first Metroid game, with desperately-needed features like a world map. Super Metroid is from back in SNES days, but it's still one of the best games made. MP1 is right up there with Super Metroid, MP2 (depending on how much the Trilogy retunes it) is iffy but there's story there for the trilogy, and MP3 is pretty excellent. Fusion is also very good, but it could be good to get in on the 3D games first to break up the sidescrolling platforming for a while.

That stuff is in order of what I would consider gameplay development, though, not chronological order. If you want to play them on a timeline, you would start with Zero Mission, play the trilogy, then go on to Super Metroid and Fusion, which wouldn't be at all bad either. Metroid 2 is going to be rough as hell to play compared to all of those if you want to try that one; it was made for the original spinach-screened Gameboy so it's pretty nasty-looking, has no game map built in, and is supposed to have some pretty aggravating backtracking and ways to not know how to progress.

Oh, and Zero Mission isn't in the Nintendo store or whatever, so you'd have to find another way to play, which shouldn't be any challenge at all these days.