As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Wasteland 2 is an option, it's a squadbased turnbased 2D iso rpg that is pretty grindy with a ton of stuff to do. Works with an overworld map and large zones like the old Fallouts.

Darksiders I and II are 3D zelda ish games with collectables.

Prototype I is an easy open world game set in manhattan, with superhero moves but a terrible story (I found it funny because of how terrible it was), never played 2 though, I heard it's much the same.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Morrowind talk reminded me that there is a rather ambitious Skyrim mod in development that tries to bring the entire world of Morrowind to the newest engine. Hopefully they manage to finish that someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3OtvQ64Bto

Isorn on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Skywind is the sort of thing that's neat to think about but is not going to be a thing. I mean they tried it with Skyblivion and that's still in development sooo...

Chances are there will be an ES 6 before either of them finish.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So many years of trying to do that (first with Oblivion engine, then Skyrim)... if they ever actually manage to finish it, they can have all my money and the souls of BOTH my sisters, but I am sooooo not optimistic.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Minesweeper!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Let me clarify: The list isn't a backlog. Everything I listed is something I've played the hell out of. I'm looking for any recommendations not on the list that I haven't tried yet.

At least someone picked up on that. *ahem*

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Okay, I am a huge wuss. I can't stop being scared playing Gone Home.

I... I'm going to finish it tomorrow in daylight. :(

Dude I was the same way, expecting a jumpscare at every turn. I swear to you, there is not one jumpscare in the entire game. It's actually a really beautiful game. Got me a little choked up at the end.

The flood of emotions I had at the end would have embarrassed any polite company in the room

Iolo, don't look
    There is that one jump scare in the hidden passageway from your parents room, where the lightbulb blows. That got me good

Okay, Gone Home complete! Bloody fantastic. (I do fill a little silly stopping where I did as I think I had literally four minutes left to play. Still, my general rule is discretion is called for when you find:

(real spoiler)
    an exorcism handbook and chalked pentagram under the stairs.)

Exquisite feels. (At the conclusion I can't help but feel

(huge fucking spoilers)
    as a parent that it's hard to be too enthusiastic at a conclusion involving a high school girl running away to 'just drive until we find someplace.' Mom & Dad are in for a rude shock when they get home from the couples therapy weekend in the Gorge.

Similar thoughts as you. Ending spoilers
    Not a huge fan of the ending either. It tugged at the heartstrings for a few minutes before my brain went "Wait, isn't your sister still 17? Did Yolanda just initiate crossing state lines with a minor?" The ending went from bittersweet to somewhat ill thought out at that point.

I liked Gone Home for what it was and enjoyed the game, but the central story did nothing for me. I kinda hated high school and that time in my life, and being in my mid-30's and pretty far removed from those feelings now, I just didn't really relate to the subjects. I just had a lot of "stupid kids" thoughts throughout.

Best "Get off my lawn" game of the year then? I did like it more than Dear Esther but less so than To The Moon story wise. The world building impressed me of course and made some of the conflicts between characters more sad when you saw how much effort some of them put into things that never got articulated into words. I haven't played it since it's not my type of game, but I would say that Alien: Isolation is a good example of a more traditional game with the same attention paid to making a setting rooted in a specific time with a strong sense of place.

Anyway, steam thread, I could use some recommendations for an open worldish game. Basically looking for something I can unwind with and have fun exploring places/what I can do. Exact genre isn't terribly important (Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3/4/GooH, and Terraria are all among my most played games) but I'm going to have little tolerance for frustration or bullshit mechanics or level design the next week or two. I have a friend staying over because she needs a quiet place to study and her own place doesn't cut it so yelling at the monitor will be antiproductive (So pretty much no GTA games given how there's usually a few awful plot missions in each game).

Here's what's already in my library:
    Batman: Arkham City (technically AA and AC were console games for me but AC on the PC was in a bundle)
    Borderlands 2 (The series has sections that were clearly designed for co-op so other entries are a no go for now)
    Fallout 3/NV
    Skyrim (Other TES games are lying around somewhere as well)
    Far Cry 3/4/Blood Dragon
    Just Cause 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Shadow of Mordor
    Saints Row 2, 3, 4, GooH
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sunless Sea (Which I am nowhere near don with but I'm waiting on a bug fix before really delving hard into it again)
    Starbound
    Terraria
    Assorted Assassin's Creed entires
    Dragon Age Inquisition since I counted KoA earler.

I'm below specs for Dying Light or else I would have grabbed that already.

So let's start the suggestions!

You know, Dark Souls isn't that frustrating

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Let me clarify: The list isn't a backlog. Everything I listed is something I've played the hell out of. I'm looking for any recommendations not on the list that I haven't tried yet.

I do not see Space Asshole on that list . . .

Edit: Speaking of open world games, I have been having a roaring good time with AC3 just running around the Frontier killing lobsterbacks, hunting, collecting, climbing tree freerunning. At least half if not more of my current 25 hours has been spent doing things not related to the plot, and I'm only in Sequence 6.

And I haven't even gone back to my ship yet.

In short, I'm having a blast with this game. Also, I'm apparently in the top 10% of perfect hunts. :biggrin:

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay, so with ESO going Buy2Play next month, I need to hear some good stories about it, so paging @Pixelated Pixie. I really love games I can play the shit out of then take a break and come back to, so convince me on ESO pixie. You're my only hope.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Oooooh.

Sid Meier's Pirates is great for this sort of thing (especially on lower difficulties where you aren't quite so much at the mercy of the winds.)

Also:

Bionic Dues
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    any Kings Bounty game
    State of Decay

All games with strong exploration components.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    so witcher 2: combat mod or no combat mod?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh yeah.

Elite: Dangerous.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Space Asshole is great to unwind to without really caring much about the story. The game drip-feeds plenty of new and exciting ways to level entire compounds in seconds, too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I do have to back up SanderJK's Darksiders Recommendations. But mainly because I'm a big fan of the games, and feel that the second one in particular nailed the feeling of a 3D Metroidvania.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I beat A Good Snowman is Hard to Build - it's simple, charming, and short. And then I went and looked at the remaining two achievements. And found a dream world.

713038C983B2FFA9F278F45EEC9316F62C030FC6

And realized that there's a whole 'nother level which is directly dependent upon where I previously built my snowmen, where I'm supposed to build MORE snowmen, so I may have to go back and re-do other levels in different ways so they're close enough to one another. This is mildly insane. And brilliant.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I'd mod it unless you are playing on a high difficulty already. The game starts out pretty tough but once you level up enough you become pretty godly and so a lot of the last two acts can feel pretty piss easy.

• Options
    Anyways, cleared Hand of Fate, so thought I'd provide some thoughts.

This game is, really, rather good. The game is split into 3 segments, more or less. The first segment is a card game against a mysterious Dealer, and where you spend most of the game. Each game against him has a goal of defeating the boss of this set, and you'll need to go through a lot to get there. You have to manage your health and gold, as well as food. Food is used once per move and when you're out you'll start to starve and take damage with each step. There's also equipment to manage as well as Blessings and Curses which will tweak the rules of the game a bit. Some are downright nasty, but a few have interesting trade offs, like one that makes enemy projectiles move slower but hit harder. You'll have to make your way to the boss gathering better equipment and managing your resources. Each step is a new card, and these cards are widely varied and randomly placed, often telling mini stories where you can help someone or defeat monsters. You'll often have to pick between chance cards to determine the outcome of these events, which can vary wildly. Fail at opening a treasure chest and you might just find it empty. Fail at an encounter with Davy Jones and he'll steal your soul (killing you instantly).

When you encounter a card requiring combat, you enter into a third person action game similar to the Batman Arkham games. Combat is lifted pretty directly from it, though not quite as polished or satisfying. But still an easy to pick up system that can be fun. It does get a little tedious toward the end of the game when you might have like 12 enemies to fight in a small area, but it is largely passable. There's some weird balance mechanics in that there are some move types that are only on a couple pieces of gear that would have made the combat more fun if they were on more.

The third segment is the deck building and meta game elements. Each boss run will have a couple locked cards (or at least one in the boss himself) but other than that you can craft what sort of encounters you want to get. Really hate that Davy Jones encounter? You can sit him out. There's two decks to manage, Equipment and Encounters. The meta game elements come from "defeating" cards. Some cards will have a token, and if you defeat them, you will earn the token which gets you more cards to build your deck with. So there's a nice little story going on as you, say, rescue some people from the lizard folk, the token will unlock an encounter with some travelling bards that you freed that might remember you and pay back your kindness. So even if you're having trouble clearing a run, you'll likely constantly be unlocking tokens and upgrading your stores of equipment for better chances, or at least more varied runs. But this curiosity of unlocking stuff can also make your game harder, as there are stories that unlock more enemy types to be put into the random encounter pool

The game will probably not stay with you for quite as long as most roguelites, as it has a clear end. The mysterious Dealer is a fun antagonist with great voice acting, often taunting you and providing background lore for the world of the game. There is an Endless mode to play too but I imagine most will be focused on the story mode and not really come back. Last me about 15 hours. Game starts off really easy but gradually ramps up. Final run and boss fight was extremely satisfying in the way few games are.

Anyways, I recommend it, it's a lot of fun and has a load of personality.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    One last post for these since they end in a few hours.
    Berylline wrote: »
    I want to clear out my inventory a bit, so here are a few quick giveaways:
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Most of the keys are still available, too. Feel free to request any that interest you!
    Berylline wrote: »
    I also have some keys that could use good homes. If you're interested in any of the following, just send me a PM or a message on steam. <3 (I am reasonably sure these are all unused, but not 100% positive.)

Berylline on
  • Options
    So my wife was watching as I played AC3, and I ran up behind this dude guarding a high bit of cliff, and I press X, expecting to stab him or something, and I flying kick him off the goddamn cliff. And she chimes in with a laugh and "ninja-kick the damn rabbit!".

I love my wife. :biggrin:

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Hey @Paladin and anyone else who wants to tonight. Looks like I'm going to be around for some gaming tonight. I'm up for anything but I was thinking maybe some space matinee or maybe I would grab fall of cybertron if anyone wants to play that

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So my wife was watching as I played AC3, and I ran up behind this dude guarding a high bit of cliff, and I press X, expecting to stab him or something, and I flying kick him off the goddamn cliff. And she chimes in with a laugh and "ninja-kick the damn rabbit!".

I love my wife. :biggrin:

One of videogames most satisfying mechanics

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of embarking of a new backlog project.

I'm going to polish off the entire Heretic/Hexen series. I've played bits of Heretic but that's it, and I got most of the games in the id bundle awhile back. (Hexen II's expansion and Heretic 2 aren't on Steam for whatever reason, so I've had to track those down separately. Also apparently the Hexen II expansion doesn't work with the Steam version. :razz:)

I'm probably going to source port most of this stuff. Probably Doomsday for the Doom engine games and Ultimate Quake for Hexen II.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I like Chocolate Heretic a lot. It's a branch of the Chocolate Doom sourceport, and has the same philosophy. Preserve the original look and feel of the game while providing some modern touches and compatibility.

• Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Okay, so with ESO going Buy2Play next month, I need to hear some good stories about it, so paging @Pixelated Pixie. I really love games I can play the shit out of then take a break and come back to, so convince me on ESO pixie. You're my only hope.

@CorriganX

I would love to tell you how much fun it is and all the great things about it but every minute I spend trying to make you a better person is one less minute I could spend playing ESO!

Surely you understand?

It's really good. And getting better every patch - it's come a long way since the the release. And once it goes B2P, that whole bit about "play a while, take a break, come back" will be just as true for ESO as it is for GW2. I played the hell out of ESO for 6 months, then had to let my sub lapse for reasons, and just got back into it and it was like I hadn't left (well, except for all the improvements patched in during my away time).

I'm not really sure what I can say about it specifically? You played the open beta, didn't you? So you already know the basics - the races, the classes, the flexible nature of character building, the game world, etc. It's a TES MMO... what else can I say? :lol: Things that were bad in the beta have been fixed/improved (even the horribad lip sync stuff has been fixed). There's still a few things that could use attention but eh, it's fun. Hell, it pulled me away from Tera. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

@CorriganX

I would love to tell you how much fun it is and all the great things about it but every minute I spend trying to make you a better person is one less minute I could spend playing ESO!

Surely you understand?

It's really good. And getting better every patch - it's come a long way since the the release. And once it goes B2P, that whole bit about "play a while, take a break, come back" will be just as true for ESO as it is for GW2. I played the hell out of ESO for 6 months, then had to let my sub lapse for reasons, and just got back into it and it was like I hadn't left (well, except for all the improvements patched in during my away time).

I'm not really sure what I can say about it specifically? You played the open beta, didn't you? So you already know the basics - the races, the classes, the flexible nature of character building, the game world, etc. It's a TES MMO... what else can I say? :lol: Things that were bad in the beta have been fixed/improved (even the horribad lip sync stuff has been fixed). There's still a few things that could use attention but eh, it's fun. Hell, it pulled me away from Tera. :lol:

Yeah I'm digging it quite a bit too. I haven't grouped with anyone yet so it's like Skyrim with more people running around so far.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So. Lets talk Xenoverse. Just finished the story, steam says I clocked in at 16 hours, though I would say at least a half hour of that is trying to connect to servers.

Thoughts: It was really good at first. Really fun. It's not a fighting game like some of you might think. It's a brawler. You've got two buttons, heavy and light attack, combos are based on race or character. The combos are not too intricate, but there is some depth there. You've got your Ki button, and then all your specials are done by holding the R-trigger and hitting a face button, so it's much easier to get into than your average fighter.

You have story missions, and side missions (PQs) the story missions just have you playing through the story of DBZ with your own original Goku interfering with things because they're not going as they historically should. The PQs are side missions where strange scenarios can happen, like fighting with Frieza on your side, because he cant transform to final form, so you gotta beat Krillin and Vegeta yourself. Things like that. The worst part of this is that quite a few of the equipment items for your character are behind this, and the drops are all RNG. But for the most part, the early game is really good.

...then the game started cheating. And started cheating HAAAAARD. Enemies spamming ultimate attacks and somehow managing to block while in the middle of a being knocked into a wall animation. The difficulty just roller coastered around the cell saga, one mission would be just ball crushingly difficult, and the next would be a breeze and a cakewalk.

The final boss, surprisingly, was none of that. And was thus the easiest thing I've done in a very long time in game. It was, however, REALLY FUN because of this.

As I constantly gripped, the servers are absolute shit. it's basically unplayable on weekends unless you get lucky and try to play when the server is ACTUALLY down, and it lets you boot into offline mode without having to pull your internet or put steam into offline mode.

Basically, most of the early game stuff is REALLY good, the mid-game starts out good and dips, and most of the endgame is COMPLETELY BULLSHIT with it's difficulty, but when it doesn't it's still really fun.

So should you buy this game? Well, there's a lot of maybes. Do you like dragonball Z? If so, then you're probably going to enjoy the game for the most part, but you might get frustrated by the artificial difficulty you run into later in the game, and will certainly get frustrated by the servers until they manage to iron them out.

But the game does not let you wear Android 18's Kickin' Rad Extreme 90's Denim Jacket, so 0/10

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Winners! Gifts will be sent out shortly. <3
    signature.png @Pixelated Pixie
    signature.png @SkutSkut
    signature.png @TreadLife
    signature.png @chuck steak
    signature.png @Gear Girl
    signature.png @chuck steak

There are a bunch of keys still available, so I'm going to start posting them this way, since they'll probably get picked up eventually. The first one will be two copies of Project Night.
    Loading...?

Berylline on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    Woot! I winned! Thanks @Berylline for Runaway! Looks super fun! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    And one more. This is the DLC only for Surgeon Simulator.
    signature.png

Plus a key for Beat Hazard +DLC
    Loading...?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Be careful what you say around @Sumanai I now have The Final Hours of Tomb Raider which is some kind of E-book maybe? because I said I liked books....
    thank you.... I think....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Viking wrote: »
    Be careful what you say around @Sumanai I now have The Final Hours of Tomb Raider which is some kind of E-book maybe? because I said I liked books....
    thank you.... I think....

And @Viking couldn't leave it at that. He quickly retaliated with The Witcher Adventure Game, which was probably the closest thing to a book in my wishlist, now that's not fair!
    I love The Witcher and since I can't play 3, this is the next best thing! Thank you! <3
    He was totally bookbegging! He loves books!

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Wasteland 2 is an option, it's a squadbased turnbased 2D iso rpg that is pretty grindy with a ton of stuff to do. Works with an overworld map and large zones like the old Fallouts.

Darksiders I and II are 3D zelda ish games with collectables.

Prototype I is an easy open world game set in manhattan, with superhero moves but a terrible story (I found it funny because of how terrible it was), never played 2 though, I heard it's much the same.

Funnily enough, I have all of those and have plenty of hours logged on all of them except for Prototype. My copy is a console copy though so it's a no go for now since my friend uses the room the consoles are in for studying.
    Jazz wrote: »

At least someone picked up on that. *ahem*

I keep going going back and forth on that bundle. I do have experience with the original Thief games and its brethren so I don't know how well I'd take the new one. But the bundle also has Startopia which is one of the most feel good city/colony management sims around.
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Okay, I am a huge wuss. I can't stop being scared playing Gone Home.

I... I'm going to finish it tomorrow in daylight. :(

Dude I was the same way, expecting a jumpscare at every turn. I swear to you, there is not one jumpscare in the entire game. It's actually a really beautiful game. Got me a little choked up at the end.

The flood of emotions I had at the end would have embarrassed any polite company in the room

Iolo, don't look
    There is that one jump scare in the hidden passageway from your parents room, where the lightbulb blows. That got me good

Okay, Gone Home complete! Bloody fantastic. (I do fill a little silly stopping where I did as I think I had literally four minutes left to play. Still, my general rule is discretion is called for when you find:

(real spoiler)
    an exorcism handbook and chalked pentagram under the stairs.)

Exquisite feels. (At the conclusion I can't help but feel

(huge fucking spoilers)
    as a parent that it's hard to be too enthusiastic at a conclusion involving a high school girl running away to 'just drive until we find someplace.' Mom & Dad are in for a rude shock when they get home from the couples therapy weekend in the Gorge.

Similar thoughts as you. Ending spoilers
    Not a huge fan of the ending either. It tugged at the heartstrings for a few minutes before my brain went "Wait, isn't your sister still 17? Did Yolanda just initiate crossing state lines with a minor?" The ending went from bittersweet to somewhat ill thought out at that point.

I liked Gone Home for what it was and enjoyed the game, but the central story did nothing for me. I kinda hated high school and that time in my life, and being in my mid-30's and pretty far removed from those feelings now, I just didn't really relate to the subjects. I just had a lot of "stupid kids" thoughts throughout.

Best "Get off my lawn" game of the year then? I did like it more than Dear Esther but less so than To The Moon story wise. The world building impressed me of course and made some of the conflicts between characters more sad when you saw how much effort some of them put into things that never got articulated into words. I haven't played it since it's not my type of game, but I would say that Alien: Isolation is a good example of a more traditional game with the same attention paid to making a setting rooted in a specific time with a strong sense of place.

Anyway, steam thread, I could use some recommendations for an open worldish game. Basically looking for something I can unwind with and have fun exploring places/what I can do. Exact genre isn't terribly important (Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3/4/GooH, and Terraria are all among my most played games) but I'm going to have little tolerance for frustration or bullshit mechanics or level design the next week or two. I have a friend staying over because she needs a quiet place to study and her own place doesn't cut it so yelling at the monitor will be antiproductive (So pretty much no GTA games given how there's usually a few awful plot missions in each game).

Here's what's already in my library:
    Batman: Arkham City (technically AA and AC were console games for me but AC on the PC was in a bundle)
    Borderlands 2 (The series has sections that were clearly designed for co-op so other entries are a no go for now)
    Fallout 3/NV
    Skyrim (Other TES games are lying around somewhere as well)
    Far Cry 3/4/Blood Dragon
    Just Cause 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Shadow of Mordor
    Saints Row 2, 3, 4, GooH
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sunless Sea (Which I am nowhere near don with but I'm waiting on a bug fix before really delving hard into it again)
    Starbound
    Terraria
    Assorted Assassin's Creed entires
    Dragon Age Inquisition since I counted KoA earler.

I'm below specs for Dying Light or else I would have grabbed that already.

So let's start the suggestions!

You know, Dark Souls isn't that frustrating

As someone that has 177 hours logged in Steam in it, I agree. The key is to play a sorcerer so you don't ever have to get close to anything that would kill you.

I do not see Space Asshole on that list . . .

Edit: Speaking of open world games, I have been having a roaring good time with AC3 just running around the Frontier killing lobsterbacks, hunting, collecting, climbing tree freerunning. At least half if not more of my current 25 hours has been spent doing things not related to the plot, and I'm only in Sequence 6.

And I haven't even gone back to my ship yet.

In short, I'm having a blast with this game. Also, I'm apparently in the top 10% of perfect hunts. :biggrin:

Red Faction: Guerilla really should be in my library given how much I've enjoyed Volition's other big property.

Oooooh.

Sid Meier's Pirates is great for this sort of thing (especially on lower difficulties where you aren't quite so much at the mercy of the winds.)

Also:

Bionic Dues
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    any Kings Bounty game
    State of Decay

All games with strong exploration components.

Sid Meier's Pirates is one of my favorite games of all time. I wish there was a mod to reduce the effect of sailing against the wind but no other game has quite captured the feeling of watching your gold count pile up upon looting the Treasure Fleet or another wealthy ship. As much as I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 4, I think they missed something by making taking warships for materials more of a focus than getting rich off of merchant ships.

And in other news . . .

I love the combat rebalance mod but I also went through the game when it was new before any attempt to balance the combat was made. It does make you totally dependent on quests for exp though so if you miss some you can be at a penalty and not every quest is readily apparent.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    RIP my dignity. Got owned by Krillin in Xenoverse. Got trolled by game in Xenoverse...

got owned by Hercule in Xenoverse. RIP me.
    I am min-maxing my character to do strike supers only, with tons of Stamina so I can use Kaioken x20 and evasive skills every 4 seconds, and no Ki because I can just beat the enemy into giving me Ki, or do Just Guards to get free Ki bars.

Blue Hurricane will ruin your day.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

A few games that, to me at least, fit the general 'mood' of the games in your list. Dunno how many of these you've played.

Eidolon
    MirrorMoon EP
    Brutal Legend
    Space Pirates and Zombies
    Prototype
    Mass Effect
    STALKER
    STALKER: Call of Pripyat
    X3: Terran Conflict
    Talos Principle
    Waking Mars
    knytt: underground
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP
    Bully
    The Ball
    NEO Scavenger
    Tiny & Big
    The Void
    Starscape

All of those have a sort of Exploration and/or Open World vibe. To me anyway.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    ninja-kick the damn rabbit!

Pork rind?

Pork rind.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Skywind is the sort of thing that's neat to think about but is not going to be a thing. I mean they tried it with Skyblivion and that's still in development sooo...

Chances are there will be an ES 6 before either of them finish.

I'm like 99 percent sure Skyoblivion started after Skywind and Skywind is far further in development. Mainly because nobody really likes Oblivion that much compared to Morrowind.

Skywind will come out, just like Morroblivion eventually did. You're right in that it might take till ES 6 though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Both of those projects seem like complete longshots, but after finally seeing a playable release of Black Mesa I'd say anything is possible.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Bring it to the ps4 and we'll talk.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh cool thank you @Berylline !

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
This discussion has been closed.