As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: The Films] Rogue One is a movie of some kind

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Y'know, people complain about the prequels making the OT worse retroactively. Maybe that's so.

Another way to look at it, though, is that the prequels were really awful movies by themselves. But the OT is just good enough to give them some pathos.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I think that's more "The OT is really good" and "Ewan McGregor is one of the few cast members that gave a fuck."

Oh fuck, a circuit in my brain just crossed and lined up the scene where Qui-Gon dies with the one where Rufio dies in Hook.

I'll be over thataway giggling like a derpydoo if you need me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Leia busting out some surprise Force stuff at a crucial moment in Episode VII would be such a cool reveal.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So the Rebels thread made me thing of ESB. And the battle of Hoth. And the internet it provides.

http://youtu.be/7FSggapwUC4

I always forget how hot Carrie Fisher was. And how bad ass Leia is. Directing the troops being the last one out. Basically commanding the damn rebels.

Also this shows how scary the Empire is. They basically walk over the rebel lines in minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OT Empire does not fuck around when it comes to kicking ass. If they want you dead, they blow up your planet.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I am so excited for the Leia comic this month.

Also, the new Star Wars novel is out, Heir to the Jedi. Just grabbed it off iTunes and will likely report back in a few days.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How's Kieran Gillen's Vader? I generally like his writing style (though more for the characters than for the storytelling), but the comics of his that I've read don't really match with what I'd expect of a Darth Vader story.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    How's Kieran Gillen's Vader? I generally like his writing style (though more for the characters than for the storytelling), but the comics of his that I've read don't really match with what I'd expect of a Darth Vader story.

I've enjoyed the first 2 issues so far.
    Vader is essentially disgraced in the eyes of the Emperor after the Death Star, and then after the rebels blow up a major factory while Vader is present (the events of which are the opening arc of the Star Wars comic) The Emperor demotes him, more or less, and puts him under the command of Grand General Tagge. At the same time, Vader finds that the Emperor is hiding things from him, and begins trying to discover what. He's also beginning to realize who Luke is.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    ESB is so good.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    ESB is so good.

It really is. During my last marathon I focused on watching secondary characters in every scene. ESB and especially the scenes with Luke in ROTJ are just masterful.

Oh and Lando.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    ESB is so good.

It really is. During my last marathon I focused on watching secondary characters in every scene. ESB and especially the scenes with Luke in ROTJ are just masterful.

Oh and Lando.

When the Special Edition came out, my dad decided we wouldn't go to see ESB in theaters because "it was the boring one, wasn't it?"

QUICK PRIMER. When I was a kid, the very first movie I saw was Star Wars, a shitty VHS recording from a TV broadcast. (The earliest TV show I saw was the Transformers premiere.) One of my earliest memories is watching "Darf Vader" choke the shit out of the Rebel commander.

When I was seven, there was a TV broadcast of Return of the Jedi that my parents recorded. I was too scared too watch it all the way through until I was ten. I knew broadly what had happened in ESB, because I had a picture book, but I had never seen it until the THX remastered VHS release.

I think what I'm saying is that my Dad remembered the Star Wars movies not as culture eventually appreciated them, but as he remembered them in the theaters, and while today ESB is rightly regarded as the best of the originals, at the time it was the unloved middle child that had a downer ending. So I got to see needlessly-busy Mos Eisley and shitty dewbacks and Jedi Rocks in the theater, but not the only movie in the original trilogy that I think was relatively unchanged at the time (aside from some longer shots of Cloud City). To this day it remains the only Star Wars film I haven't seen in the theater. (Well, that and Clone Wars, but that was terrible anyway.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    In no particular order:

There's a reason the Battle of Hoth has been featured in, like, half the games - wherever they can find an excuse to put in a snowspeeder level. And yes, it was entirely a delaying action, to try to hold off the Empire long enough to get as many people as possible the hell out of there.

Leia is tiny and a badass. Takes after her mom. (Padme, not Debbie Reynolds.) Wedge is also great, as always. And General Veers is very good at his job - a credit to der Panzerkorps. :)

For those who missed the last movie, or forgot, Vader provides another demonstration of his inimitable management style. The unfortunate Captain Needa will be the subject of another later on. However, we don't see what happened to the captain who charged ahead into that ion barrage. Must have taken his crew quite a while to replace all those blown fuses and breaker panels...

and yes, ESB is so good.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Of the OT the only one I haven't seen in the theater is Return of the Jedi. Even with the additions the opening of a New Hope still was awesome to see as a kid.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    There's a reason the Battle of Hoth has been featured in, like, half the games - wherever they can find an excuse to put in a snowspeeder level. And yes, it was entirely a delaying action, to try to hold off the Empire long enough to get as many people as possible the hell out of there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7glmlNMpg

I used to play the hell out of that game.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The Hoth level that opens in Shadows of the Empire for the N64 is still one of the most fun opening levels of any game ever.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    All I remember is I got pissed in Rogue Squadron as a kid because I could somehow never manage to trip those fucking AT-ATs. I think I eventually figured it out, but it was waaay harder for me than it should have been.

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    And General Veers is very good at his job - a credit to der Panzerkorps. :)

Veers is my favorite imperial character, hands down. In my head canon he's not a true believer in the Empire, just a professional soldier who does his duty and then goes home to his wife and kids in the evening. He's also the only competent member of imperial military, so he has that going for him.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    So, I read the first chapter of Heir to the Jedi, and I've just got to say that it is incredibly weird reading a book in First Person Luke perspective.

Also, it apparently takes place before the Star Wars comic, and Han & Chewie didn't stay on with the Rebellion at first, due to losing all their reward money and are back to trying to pay off Jabba.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    ESB is so good.

Oh and Lando.

When the Special Edition came out, my dad decided we wouldn't go to see ESB in theaters because "it was the boring one, wasn't it?"

QUICK PRIMER. When I was a kid, the very first movie I saw was Star Wars, a shitty VHS recording from a TV broadcast. (The earliest TV show I saw was the Transformers premiere.) One of my earliest memories is watching "Darf Vader" choke the shit out of the Rebel commander.

When I was seven, there was a TV broadcast of Return of the Jedi that my parents recorded. I was too scared too watch it all the way through until I was ten. I knew broadly what had happened in ESB, because I had a picture book, but I had never seen it until the THX remastered VHS release.

I think what I'm saying is that my Dad remembered the Star Wars movies not as culture eventually appreciated them, but as he remembered them in the theaters, and while today ESB is rightly regarded as the best of the originals, at the time it was the unloved middle child that had a downer ending. So I got to see needlessly-busy Mos Eisley and shitty dewbacks and Jedi Rocks in the theater, but not the only movie in the original trilogy that I think was relatively unchanged at the time (aside from some longer shots of Cloud City). To this day it remains the only Star Wars film I haven't seen in the theater. (Well, that and Clone Wars, but that was terrible anyway.)
    Yeah ESB was a little too dark for me as well when I was a kid. Luke's expression when he screams at Vader "That's impossible!" was terrifying. It didn't help that my dad had scored some pirated VHS copies (before they were actually available on VHS) that had static over several minutes in various parts so I tended to watch Hoth and some of the asteroid stuff and then call it quits.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Jediabiwan wrote: »
    All I remember is I got pissed in Rogue Squadron as a kid because I could somehow never manage to trip those fucking AT-ATs. I think I eventually figured it out, but it was waaay harder for me than it should have been.

Yeah, I had the same issue.

I've been replaying the Good Old Games re-release with a 360 controller, and while I'm better at it now, it's still surprisingly tense and hard to pull off.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I went and saw all the Special Edition releases in the theater at least three times each. My parents wouldn't let me see the movies in the theater as a youngster and we lived overseas for most of my childhood anyway so I didn't really have the opportunity. My Uncle was going to sneak us to Star Wars in '77 but my Aunt caught wind of it and reported it to my Mother who put the kibosh on that. I had to overcompensate for that I guess.

• Options
    Just finished Princess Leia #1, and it seems like it'll be a fun little mini-series. Takes place earliest in the post-Ep IV continuity so far.

Tarkin novel
    A New Dawn novel
    Rebels show
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    Princess Leia comic
    Heir to the Jedi novel
    Star Wars comic
    Darth Vader comic

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I plunged back into Clone Wars last night, rewatching the pilot movie and the first episode of the show.

I used to catch it whenever I could on TV, but I gave up really early in season 2 because the show felt like it was just offering the same thing over and over with every set of episodes: some type of big set-piece battle with nominal importance to the war effort and no real character development or world building.

I'm already getting that feeling again, although I still enjoyed the hell out of the pilot movie (it's all the things from the prequels that were actually fun, and very little of the garbage aside from Ziro!). Please tell me this turns into an actual show at some point, with characters I care about and some legitimate form of serialization beyond repeating 3 and 4 part arcs.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »
    And General Veers is very good at his job - a credit to der Panzerkorps. :)

Veers is my favorite imperial character, hands down. In my head canon he's not a true believer in the Empire, just a professional soldier who does his duty and then goes home to his wife and kids in the evening. He's also the only competent member of imperial military, so he has that going for him.

I have a soft spot for Piett, but yes Veers is a very close second.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Captain Pellaeon for best Imperial.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Where's the love for Admiral Yularen?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I plunged back into Clone Wars last night, rewatching the pilot movie and the first episode of the show.

I used to catch it whenever I could on TV, but I gave up really early in season 2 because the show felt like it was just offering the same thing over and over with every set of episodes: some type of big set-piece battle with nominal importance to the war effort and no real character development or world building.

I'm already getting that feeling again, although I still enjoyed the hell out of the pilot movie (it's all the things from the prequels that were actually fun, and very little of the garbage aside from Ziro!). Please tell me this turns into an actual show at some point, with characters I care about and some legitimate form of serialization beyond repeating 3 and 4 part arcs.

Yes, just watch it all.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I'm partial to Daala.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I know the obvious EU fanboy answer is Thrawn, but really, the answer for best Imperial is Thrawn.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    chewbacca-in-between-takes-photo-u2.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    chewbacca-in-between-takes-photo-u2.jpg

sexual_harassment_panda.gif

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I thought we had agreed that the stormtroopers missing during Leia's escape wasn't because they can't hit anything, but because (at least some of them) were supposed to escape, because there was a tracking device on the falcon

• Options
    I thought we had agreed that the stormtroopers missing during Leia's escape wasn't because they can't hit anything, but because (at least some of them) were supposed to escape, because there was a tracking device on the falcon

They were also drunk that day.

• Options
    I tried to say it before, I'm convinced there was some Petronas charm spell going on (or The Force Shield, whatever)

Patronus.jpg

Alternate picture:
    QIvkVxj.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I'm partial to Daala.

.... you shut your mouth.

EDIT: Sorry, that reads really rudely even in an "I'm obviously joking with you" way. So, uh, yeah - sorry about that! Daala still sucks, though.
    Heyoooo!
    'Cause she got promoted by bangin' Tarkin, is what I'm saying.
    And then proceeded to lose her entire command at the first opportunity.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I'm partial to Daala.

EDIT: Sorry, that reads really rudely even in an "I'm obviously joking with you" way. So, uh, yeah - sorry about that! Daala still sucks, though.
    Heyoooo!
    Became the GFFA's Chief of State in Fate of the Jedi.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I'm partial to Daala.

Heyoooo!

Daala spoilers:
    Yeah, I know. She was a terrible character from the get-go and didn't deserve any sort of Mary Sue redemption arc.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular

I'm partial to Daala.

Heyoooo!

Daala spoilers:
    Yeah, I know. She was a terrible character from the get-go and didn't deserve any sort of Mary Sue redemption arc.
    There was no redemption. She was a horrible Chief of State too. IIRC, she wound up getting arrested for using Mandos as her own personal police force.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    KJA created Daala, right? There you go.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yularen_Portrait.jpg

Vote Yularen, because epic voice is epic.

This discussion has been closed.