As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim had a lot of marketing, but that doesn't mean it had good marketing.

Some of it's ads weren't bad, but none of them really seemed to know whether they should advertise to the people who knew what was going on or not. It was a decent film, with some great acting in parts, but I personally agree that it's marketing was just not great.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The ads didn't do a good job of selling the actual draws of the film, plus it came out at a time where there was a kind of popular backlash against Michael Cera because he'd been in a bunch of films where people looked and went "hey he's doing the same thing in every film" which can be argued as to whether or not it is fair criticism to say but it still stands that that is the perception that was going on at the time

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2015
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    G'damm, I love the Bourne movies. Except the Renner one. That one just sucked.

I remember the reason for the Renner one even getting made was because of the colossal financial fallout that was caused by the Scott Pilgrim bomb (a movie that still hasn't made its money back, DVD sales and all)

I liked Pilgrim but it sure did fuck over Universal royally. It's singlehandedly responsible for the Battleship movie, both Smurfs flicks, the unnecessary Bourne reboot, and a few other turds, all made just to bounce back.

That's depressing. Pilgrim is actually a decent movie. I don't understand why it didn't resonate more strongly with people. I dragged my mother out to see it and she actually enjoyed it (I was surprised). Although, now that I think about it she also enjoyed the second Fantastic Four film.

Perhaps it's Chris Evans that she truly enjoyed.

I love the shit out of Scott Pilgrim. I adored the comics, and i thought the film did an amazing job of squeezing everything into less than two hours. I thought Cera did a really good job as the lead, the evil exes ranged from good to great, and the girl who played Knives was amazeballs.

Point being, I loved that picture, but I can absolutely see how it failed. It was a movie about, and marinated in, 90s video game pop culture, where the main character has to go on a literal quest to defeat seven bosses who explode into coins when they die.

You know what you find if you look up "niche" in the dictionary? The definition of the word "niche". Which Scott Pilgrim fucking is.

I don't think there was anybody around who actually thought the movie was going to make any money, which is why I am still amazed it got greenlit, and with a roster of actually good actors and a quality director. The fact that movie even exists is proof that there is a kind and loving God, and that he owns a Sega Genesis.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You know what you find if you look up "niche" in the dictionary? The definition of the word "niche". Which Scott Pilgrim fucking is.

KissKissBangBang-leggyslove1826-3626.jpg

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Scott Pilgrim's greatest failing is pairing some real serious geek/hipster appeal with Michael goddamned Cera.

Like, intentional hipsterdom is obnoxious.

And Cera just has a... I don't wanna say "punchable," but... ok, ya know that thing where you point to an imaginary stain on somebody's shirt? Yeah, and then you flick their nose with the finger you were using to point? Yeah, like Biff Tanen!

Yeah, that's what it would seem the vast majority of humanity wants to do to Michael Cera.

Combine those two elements, and you've got a perfect shitstorm of nobody watching your movie for dollars.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I gotta say I have some problems with the "Just so" stories we tell ourselves why film A failed and film B succeeded. I very much doubt that Scott Pilgrim would have been much more of a success with a different lead, or that a different marketing campaign would have turned things around completely, though they might have had some (probably small) impact. Personally I'm more with ElJeffe; the film was nichey, and that rarely makes for great box office returns.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I gotta say I have some problems with the "Just so" stories we tell ourselves why film A failed and film B succeeded. I very much doubt that Scott Pilgrim would have been much more of a success with a different lead, or that a different marketing campaign would have turned things around completely, though they might have had some (probably small) impact. Personally I'm more with ElJeffe; the film was nichey, and that rarely makes for great box office returns.

nah if the rock was scott pilgrim it would have set box office records

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

nah if the rock was scott pilgrim it would have set box office records

I'd watch that. The same exact movie, except with the Rock, but nobody treats him like the Rock they still treat him like some skinny 23 year old white boy livin' in Toronto. I'd watch it again and again.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sofia Pilgrim, starring Scarlett Johansson.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Scott Pilgrim came out the same weekend as The Expendables and Eat Pray Love.

That right there is what killed it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim came out the same weekend as The Expendables and Eat Pray Love.

That right there is what killed it.

Neither of those are really behemoths of cinema. It was just crap marketing.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I watched the RoboCop remake last night. It's not awful, I suppose.

Casting Gary Oldham in that kind of film is an error though. He's not prepared or not able to not act, and when nobody else is getting on his level it just comes across as jarring.

I sort of hoped the odd scenes with Samuel L Jackson were going somewhere. I'm guessing those were originally conceived as the trailers but then somebody spent too much on casting and they had to use them.

The action sequences were also pretty dull, which disappointed me. I thought they'd have at least pushed those a bit.

All in all you just wonder why anybody bothered

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Casting Gary Oldham in that kind of film is an error though. He's not prepared or not able to not act, and when nobody else is getting on his level it just comes across as jarring.

I sort of hoped the odd scenes with Samuel L Jackson were going somewhere. I'm guessing those were originally conceived as the trailers but then somebody spent too much on casting and they had to use them.

The action sequences were also pretty dull, which disappointed me. I thought they'd have at least pushed those a bit.

Hollywood trends of grabbing onto anything people have heard of in an attempt to grab more ticket sales, pretty much.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The biggest influence on movie success is word of mouth, as I understand. And for some reason it just built no momentum.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Eat Pray Love was a fucking abomination.

It should have been titled #firstworldproblems or #richwhitebitchmidlifecrisis

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The biggest influence on movie success is word of mouth, as I understand. And for some reason it just built no momentum.

Because it's a nearly impossible movie to sell: It's a rom com, but not really. It's like a video game, but not really. It's about this teenager dating an even younger teenager. It's got Michael Cera, but it's not like one of those bad movies he does it's like... Um... That TV show you never got round to seeing...

Oh! It's set in Toronto. Want to watch it now?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Weren't Juno, Superbad and Arrested Development pretty successful? I seem to remember the Michael Cera hate only developing *after* Scott Pilgrim.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Weren't Juno, Superbad and Arrested Development pretty successful? I seem to remember the Michael Cera hate only developing *after* Scott Pilgrim.

Nah, I remember a lot of people (myself included) thinking that Cera was just not great casting for the part. He was certainly the weakest part of the movie, for me.

• Options

Juno was very successful, Superbad earned a 170 million gross against a 20 million budget which is stellar. Arrested Development was critically acclaimed but was always one of those shows that seemed to struggle to find its audience (which certainly isn't a sign of poor quality - Community had the same issue).

• Options

Nah, I remember a lot of people (myself included) thinking that Cera was just not great casting for the part. He was certainly the weakest part of the movie, for me.

I thought he was just perfect in it.

Probably a case of "comic fans who will never be pleased" TBH.

• Options

I thought he was just perfect in it.

Probably a case of "comic fans who will never be pleased" TBH.

I think I finished reading the comics after it came out, but I can't quite remember.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I remember thinking that Cera as Scott Pilgrim made sense in that the movie was about a guy trying to get with a girl who has emotional baggage, while growing as a person.

Which is kinda the movie you'd expect from him.

Only instead of talking it out and helping her get through it emotionaly, he beats up the personifications like a video game.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Because it's a nearly impossible movie to sell: It's a rom com, but not really. It's like a video game, but not really. It's about this teenager dating an even younger teenager. It's got Michael Cera, but it's not like one of those bad movies he does it's like... Um... That TV show you never got round to seeing...

Oh! It's set in Toronto. Want to watch it now?

"And he fights a guy with his magic bass guitar! And his girlfriend carries a giant hammer in her extra dimensional purse! And he has a pee meter!

...hey, where are you going?"

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    My biggest problem with Cera is I felt like he portrayed enthusiasm poorly, which is essential to Pilgrim's I character.

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, though.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Like, there's some compelling shit in that movie!

The drone stuff? Relevant!

Robocop trying to emotionally reconnect with his family after almost dying? Awesome! Super well acted.

The action? Pretty great! Fluid and inventive camera movements, clever cuts and edits, awesome score.

The plot? ... See, they had all this really great setup and then just kind of fizzled because they didn't want Michael Keaton to be a bad guy, like Dick Jones was, they wanted a modern CEO who sees himself as a good guy who wants to help while profiting at the same time. So we don't get a compelling villain, and that railroads the third act tremendously, because instead of getting an emotional catharsis with Murphy's family and a better resolution to the drone initiative, we have a stand-off with a non-threatening non-villain, and then the movie just ends.

They should have just had Jackie Earl Hayley's character in the movie more and have him go rogue at the end if they wanted the pat standard Good Guy vs. Bad Guy showdown. Keep Keaton as a morally ambiguous Steve Jobs type. Just do something that isn't what the movie actually did.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Despite it's flaws, I fucking loved that battle of the bands scene in Scott Pilgrim. Wonderfully done, I thought.

*edit* Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn14MXmc-WU

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    So, I saw two movies this past week.

The one was Edge of Tomorrow and the thread title made me read this entire thread starting from the OP, because I wanted to know exactly how bludgeoned that horse was before starting to talk about the ending. That seems like a wise choice since there doesn't seem to be a reason to continue discussing the mechanics of the ending (I'll just say that I'm firmly in the deus ex machina camp, but it didn't really bother me all that much because time travel is wacky). What disappointed me more than the mechanics of the ending, was the tone of the ending.
    I really didn't like the happy ending. Not so much because I didn't think it earned it, but because I thought it did earned a more melancholy ending. I think it would have worked alot better had one of them died in the final assault and then there wasn't any reset (which would have negated the arguments about the mechanics of the final reset as a bonus). I think either one would have worked fine. Either play against the trope and have Rita be the self-sacrificing hero, or have the Cage character arch start as the cowardly deserter and end as the self-sacrificing hero. Either one works. But between the farm scene where she gets pissed off because he's putting her above the mission and jumps in the helicopter even after being told Cage can't save her, and the approach to the Louvre when the one guys asks what he should do if he's attacked by an Alpha and Cage's response is "take one for the team", it really felt like it was going for a "sacrifice for the greater good" kinda ending but then everyone lived happily ever after. It just felt really forced and completely fell flat for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the movie. I didn't care for the ending but that wasn't nearly problematic enough to spoil the rest of it even a little bit. The action was top notch, the alien design was fantastic and original, and much of the Groundhog Day middle was genuinely funny (Cage's response to the scientist guy asking him if he's seen anything strange lately made me giggle a bit thinking about it just now) without detracting from the seriousness of the action at all. If you have any interest in sci-fi, you should definitely give it a watch. I just think a different ending tone would have worked better, for me anyway.

The other movie was Big Hero 6. Another one that I really enjoyed, and my 5yo loved it too. I have no idea if it really should have gotten the Best Animated Oscar since it's the only one of the nominees I've seen, but I'm happy it won just for trying to make STEM cool. I still liked The Lego Movie better and it not even getting a nomination is objectively stupid. But it was definitely really good. I just hope it doesn't lose its STEM is cool charm in the obvious sequel that they setup at the end.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    So, I saw two movies this past week.

The one was Edge of Tomorrow and the thread title made me read this entire thread starting from the OP, because I wanted to know exactly how bludgeoned that horse was before starting to talk about the ending. That seems like a wise choice since there doesn't seem to be a reason to continue discussing the mechanics of the ending (I'll just say that I'm firmly in the deus ex machina camp, but it didn't really bother me all that much because time travel is wacky). What disappointed me more than the mechanics of the ending, was the tone of the ending.
    I really didn't like the happy ending. Not so much because I didn't think it earned it, but because I thought it did earned a more melancholy ending. I think it would have worked alot better had one of them died in the final assault and then there wasn't any reset (which would have negated the arguments about the mechanics of the final reset as a bonus). I think either one would have worked fine. Either play against the trope and have Rita be the self-sacrificing hero, or have the Cage character arch start as the cowardly deserter and end as the self-sacrificing hero. Either one works. But between the farm scene where she gets pissed off because he's putting her above the mission and jumps in the helicopter even after being told Cage can't save her, and the approach to the Louvre when the one guys asks what he should do if he's attacked by an Alpha and Cage's response is "take one for the team", it really felt like it was going for a "sacrifice for the greater good" kinda ending but then everyone lived happily ever after. It just felt really forced and completely fell flat for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the movie. I didn't care for the ending but that wasn't nearly problematic enough to spoil the rest of it even a little bit. The action was top notch, the alien design was fantastic and original, and much of the Groundhog Day middle was genuinely funny (Cage's response to the scientist guy asking him if he's seen anything strange lately made me giggle a bit thinking about it just now) without detracting from the seriousness of the action at all. If you have any interest in sci-fi, you should definitely give it a watch. I just think a different ending tone would have worked better, for me anyway.

The other movie was Big Hero 6. Another one that I really enjoyed, and my 5yo loved it too. I have no idea if it really should have gotten the Best Animated Oscar since it's the only one of the nominees I've seen, but I'm happy it won just for trying to make STEM cool. I still liked The Lego Movie better and it not even getting a nomination is objectively stupid. But it was definitely really good. I just hope it doesn't lose its STEM is cool charm in the obvious sequel that they setup at the end.

Oh, don't get me started on science guy. That stupid asinine bit of whitewashing made both me and my girlfriend upset.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Whereas for my money your preferred tone re: the ending of Edge of Tomorrow is my despised tone. Glad I won this round. Though I grant the middle of the movie was more...fun. It did the mix of action/drama/comedy really rather well, come to think of it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    the only thing I remember about the Dark Crystal:

aside for David Bowie.

Bowie was in Labyrinth.

then I definitely don't remember that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgQaHlWyG4

• Options
    I rewatched Big Hero 6 over the weekend, as well as Boxtrolls, and I've seen HTTYD2 a couple times now. Haven't caught the two foreign pics, but I am comfortable with BH6 winning the award for Best Animated Film That Is Not The Lego Movie.

That's the award it won, right? I'm pretty sure that's what they called it. I assume Lego didn't get a nom for the same reason you don't let Stephen Hawking into your middle school science fair competition.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    But I swear Uncle Stephen only helped with my project!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eat Pray Love was a fucking abomination.

It should have been titled #firstworldproblems or #richwhitebitchmidlifecrisis

What was crazy to me was hearing the author got paid to write the book before she even wrote the fucking thing. I wish I could do that. "Pay me money to write about my life story BEFORE I FUCKING LIVE MY LIFE!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    I didn't get much out of the lego movie. I'm not sure why.

I was pretty pumped to see it, but it just felt very by-the-numbers to me. Too busy, weird pacing issues; they were moving from one set piece to the next at light speed before I had a chance to enjoy the journey.

Wasn't bad by any means, just a letdown. I would have probably loved it if I were a kid.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Scott Pilgrim was a movie aimed directly at me, and I cringed the whole way through. It is the nichest of the niche, and I can't believe Universal spent $80 million making it.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    What I liked about the Jeremy Renner Bourne movie was that it was basically Flowers for Algernon remade as an action movie.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

Like, there's some compelling shit in that movie!

The drone stuff? Relevant!

Robocop trying to emotionally reconnect with his family after almost dying? Awesome! Super well acted.

The action? Pretty great! Fluid and inventive camera movements, clever cuts and edits, awesome score.

The plot? ... See, they had all this really great setup and then just kind of fizzled because they didn't want Michael Keaton to be a bad guy, like Dick Jones was, they wanted a modern CEO who sees himself as a good guy who wants to help while profiting at the same time. So we don't get a compelling villain, and that railroads the third act tremendously, because instead of getting an emotional catharsis with Murphy's family and a better resolution to the drone initiative, we have a stand-off with a non-threatening non-villain, and then the movie just ends.

They should have just had Jackie Earl Hayley's character in the movie more and have him go rogue at the end if they wanted the pat standard Good Guy vs. Bad Guy showdown. Keep Keaton as a morally ambiguous Steve Jobs type. Just do something that isn't what the movie actually did.

The end really did kind of fizzle out.

But until then it was really, REALLY good.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    My biggest problem with Cera is I felt like he portrayed enthusiasm poorly, which is essential to Pilgrim's I character.

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, though.

I couldn't agree more. Scott Pilgrim should be excited about the things he's doing, like Luffy from One Piece. Instead, he was mumbly and distant like, well, like Michael Cera. It just didn't work.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    What I liked about the Jeremy Renner Bourne movie was that it was basically Flowers for Algernon remade as an action movie.

Without an ending.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    I didn't get much out of the lego movie. I'm not sure why.

I was pretty pumped to see it, but it just felt very by-the-numbers to me. Too busy, weird pacing issues; they were moving from one set piece to the next at light speed before I had a chance to enjoy the journey.

Wasn't bad by any means, just a letdown. I would have probably loved it if I were a kid.

I saw it in the theater. With my then 4yo eldest son. It was the first movie he'd ever seen in a theater. They couldn't have tailor-made the ending any more for me even if they could have directly mined my my dad-feelings brain parts.

This discussion has been closed.