As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you won the Lottery!

124»

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd go throw money at whoever I need to pay off to get a new season of Firefly made. I'd also buy out The Australian and enforce some actual friggin' journalistic credibility for once.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and I think the reason that so many people end up squandering their lottery winnings is that on the whole, only people that are bad at math and fiscal planning buy lottery tickets.

There are far, far worse things you can spend money on than the occasional lottery ticket.

Asides from things that do you active harm, what? The lottery has pretty much the worst odds of any gambling game anywhere.

I personally was thinking stuff like parking structure fees. Costs me 50 cents every time I go to the gym in parking, but if hunt around I can park close enough for free. So, two times not parking in the structure = 1 lotto ticket. I could at least possibly (though very unlikey) get something with the lotto ticket. I'm not going to get anything back from that parking structure.

You choose to pay 50 cents to save a little effort. It's debatable if the amount of effort you save is worth 50 cents, but it is a mathematical certainty that a lottery ticket is not worth 1 dollar.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    DecadenceDecadence __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    jotate wrote: »
    Someone may have already brought this up, but I feel obligated to put it out there myself:

Two chicks at once.

One doesn't need to win the lottery for this.
    well, maybe you do. :P

Decadence on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    I most certainly would not stop working. I would go insane without anything to do.

Anyone who says this has not grasped the sheer amount of things there are to learn in this world.

As just ONE example, there's countless varieties of martial arts...most of the more obscure ones are very expensive to learn because schools are rare, teachers are rare, and in some cases in other countries, but with that much money thats not a problem.

You could learn to be the world's greatest non-chef chef. You could become a writer, a professional dancer, you could start a motorsport team and compete against Ford, Mitsubishi, McLaren, etc.

The possibilities are endless.

I work 45 hours a week. I could easily fill that time. And I could fill it without unlimited money, too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I most certainly would not stop working. I would go insane without anything to do.

Anyone who says this has not grasped the sheer amount of things there are to learn in this world.

As just ONE example, there's countless varieties of martial arts...most of the more obscure ones are very expensive to learn because schools are rare, teachers are rare, and in some cases in other countries, but with that much money thats not a problem.

You could learn to be the world's greatest non-chef chef. You could become a writer, a professional dancer, you could start a motorsport team and compete against Ford, Mitsubishi, McLaren, etc.

I work 45 hours a week. I could easily fill that time. And I could fill it without unlimited money, too.

Shit breeding the best tomatoes ever, or brewing your own beer from scratch beats what i do for a living

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Exactly. I struggle to think of a job I could have that I would rather do than have 45 hours a week to spend learning new martial arts, improving my current ones, and following my dream of being a professional Latin dancer.

Note - being a professional Latin dancer is a job, but it is not a career. Until you're at the top, you can't live off what you make, and you certainly can't sustain a dancing hobby with the money you make from dancing.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. pay off all my school loans/credit cards/car
    2. pay off my parent's cars & maybe their mortgage
    3. put aside about 300k for land/house.
    4. take a handful of friends on a month long tour of europe
    5. put about 50k into a general "splurging" account: new home theater/computer/etc
    6. invest the rest
    7. work part time / return to school for as long as I want
    8. if that ever gets boring, open a hobby/game/comic shop

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Speaking of which:
    In fact my time that is now spent at work, which is about 50 hours a week, I would split between dancing (20 hours a week), kickboxing (15 hours a week) and Brazilian jiu jitsu (15 hours a week). With that kind of time spent on those, I'd be able to move onto new arts every five years or so.

You'd have to be nuts, or not care much about improving your skill level, to move on to new arts every five years. Most martial arts are different enough that after the five years you've spent training in one one, your skill in the art you practised beforehand will have decayed and been superseded by your skills in your current art to the point where it was barely worth learning. You'd still get the benefit of a long period of continuous martial arts experience, but not much else. If you had the 30 hours a week to spend, you'd be much better off picking one art and training in it, then after a little while taking up another while still training in the first, and so on, until you capped at whatever you felt best.
    The same goes for anything else that takes dedication. If I were super rich, when I put my mind to something - music, writing, whatever - I'd want to stick at it, rather than giving in to the temptation to go frittering around like a playboy. Unless, of course, it was my intention to merely sample a wide range of things.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Speaking of which:
    In fact my time that is now spent at work, which is about 50 hours a week, I would split between dancing (20 hours a week), kickboxing (15 hours a week) and Brazilian jiu jitsu (15 hours a week). With that kind of time spent on those, I'd be able to move onto new arts every five years or so.

You'd have to be nuts, or not care much about improving your skill level, to move on to new arts every five years. Most martial arts are different enough that after the five years you've spent training in one one, your skill in the art you practised beforehand will have decayed and been superseded by your skills in your current art to the point where it was barely worth learning. You'd still get the benefit of a long period of continuous martial arts experience, but not much else. If you had the 30 hours a week to spend, you'd be much better off picking one art and training in it, then after a little while taking up another while still training in the first, and so on, until you capped at whatever you felt best.
    The same goes for anything else that takes dedication. If I were super rich, when I put my mind to something - music, writing, whatever - I'd want to stick at it, rather than giving in to the temptation to go frittering around like a playboy. Unless, of course, it was my intention to merely sample a wide range of things.

yeah, thats what I meant. Ultimately my goal would be to be proficient in seven or eight arts, and then create my own amalgamation of them all.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote:
    Unless, of course, it was my intention to merely sample a wide range of things.

yeah, thats what I meant. Ultimately my goal would be to be proficient in seven or eight arts, and then create my own amalgamation of them all.

I just don't think it would work out terribly practically. I mean, you'd be trying to create an amalgam of eight martial arts, two of which you'd have trained in for five years 15-20 years ago. You wouldn't be proficient in them any more, especially with all the other arts teaching you conflicting stuff in the meanwhile. Sampling a bunch of martial arts for fun is something I can get behind, I would quite possibly end up doing something of the sort too, but I'd keep training in two or three core styles, just so I could feel like I was doing something practical.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'd probably aim to create some sort of art that combines the stand up unarmed fighting of muy thai, the elegant ground control of brazilian jiu jitsu, the deadly weapon-work of Filipino Kali and the technique-rather-than-strength-based throws of Judo/Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You're the multi-millionaire, you can do whatever makes you happy.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

By "work" I mean not sit around on my ass and play with my multi-million dollar toys all day, every day. Thanks.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    £80Mill?

I guess I'd stick maybe £10-£20Mill into investments from which I could live quite comfortably off the annual earnings. Then another £10-20Mill into a trust fund for my children, then the same again for their children, then the same again for their children.

After that I'd start scoping around for something interesting to do with my spare time/any money that was left over. Although I might just take the opportunity to be a full-time parent. But I guess I'd need to be careful to be a good role model. Being fiscally stable via gambling would seem to be a pretty bad example to set in the first place though.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shutz wrote: »
    1- Start my own game development studio, with me as the lead designer, and some of my friends and ex-coworkers from the games industry to fill out the team.
    I might even do both.

I was just going to say that one. I mean, after hiring a financial adviser or two before I even decide on lump sum or increments (though probably the former,) giving some to family, paying off debts, etc. I probably won't worry about charity until the financial situation stabilizes, then I'll just make annual payments.

How much money would it take to start a company and make at least one modern console title? 30 million? 40? At any rate, quit my job, and if I don't do the startup immediately, take time to go to school, get a tutor, get an intern, or otherwise get myself in the door of the industry, at least so I know how it really works. Meanwhile, the whole self-improvement idea is a good one, so I'd have martial arts instructors, fencing instructors, and language and music tutors wherever I go.

See, I've worked for a few places already, and in my opinion, it's a mistake to immediately aim for a AAA title on a major console or for PC.

I would develop at least 3 shorter, simpler games (with development cycles of less than 1 year) so that the company could start making money sooner. Either simple puzzle games like what's on popcap.com, or original new gameplay for the likes of XBLA, WiiWare, or Nintendo DS (I've already done a little bit of DS programming, and I really believe that it's possible for a small team to make a kickass game in a short amount of time and on a tight budget.)

Once at least one of those three games starts making money above its production costs, I'll know that I can start working on "bigger" projects, but a part of the company would remain focused on these smaller, probably more casual games, because while I play a lot of hardcore-type games, I'm one of those gamers who does not look down on more casual games, and indeed, I love many of them.

With the kind of business I'm talking about, such a company could be started with an initial capital of less than 1 million$, assuming you can find a cheap enough office space, and a small but efficient team: 2 programmers, 1 artist, 1 designer (not counting me) and after a few months, 2-5 testers. Expansion only happens as the company starts making more money.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and I think the reason that so many people end up squandering their lottery winnings is that on the whole, only people that are bad at math and fiscal planning buy lottery tickets.

There are far, far worse things you can spend money on than the occasional lottery ticket.

Cigarettes come to mind.

I dunno about that, lottery tickets don't taste very good or offer much in the way of a buzz.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I were super rich, when I put my mind to something - music, writing, whatever - I'd want to stick at it, rather than giving in to the temptation to go frittering around like a playboy. Unless, of course, it was my intention to merely sample a wide range of things.
    See, I'd love to be a modern-day polymath/Renaissance man.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Tweeko4Tweeko4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man, i'd go nuts for about 200-300 dollars, then my dad would smack some sense into me and I would invest it wisely. But I would def keep some in my sock, other sock, and wallet "just in case".

Tweeko4 on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck... I'm not divorced yet so I know my wife would take half of it. Da Bitch. Anyways, I'd buy a bigger house or move to another city and buy a large condo or townhome. Since I'd be living in the city I'd get the coolest yet smallest car ever. Either a Mini or a hybrid.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'd quit my job for sure, but not to 'stop working'. I'd pursue writing and game design full time, even if they ended up being glorified hobbies for the rest of my life. Also, house, and an Ariel Atom. Probably a Suzuki Hayabusa as well.

This is, of course, after I set up my mom for life since she can't work anymore and is raising my brother's kid.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I won the lottery... I would probably still try for a degree. However, once I got it I would probably not do much work (get an easy job); I would just have it for insurance reasons. And because it would prove I'm not just a lucky idiot.

Most of the rest of the money I would invest, with some going to each of my parents, some to my brother and sister, and probably a large portion (20%?) to charities or scientific reasearch that I think is important. With whatever I had left I would buy a nice (but not extravagent) house, where I would sleep, watch films, play computer games, eat, and learn martial arts. My strategy for learning would probably be to learn a number simultaneously; I would continue learning Ju-jitsu and start Karate, then after a year or two begin a third martial art, and so on. I'd also try to learn how to use shurikens and/or throwing knives, because they've always interested me.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Fuck... I'm not divorced yet so I know my wife would take half of it. Da Bitch. Anyways, I'd buy a bigger house or move to another city and buy a large condo or townhome. Since I'd be living in the city I'd get the coolest yet smallest car ever. Either a Mini or a hybrid.

Minis are pretty big and not very cool. Also shitty.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I were super rich, when I put my mind to something - music, writing, whatever - I'd want to stick at it, rather than giving in to the temptation to go frittering around like a playboy. Unless, of course, it was my intention to merely sample a wide range of things.
    See, I'd love to be a modern-day polymath/Renaissance man.

You mean Batman.
    "Renassaince Man" is like, the gayest superhero name ever.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I would dress like a video game character and more or less do what I do now, stumbling across this great nation in a mild stupor under some thin veneer of being a civil rights activist. Of course, with all this money I could actually live comfortably and healthily, so that stupor would disappear and I would just become a folk hero.

Sweet!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shutz wrote: »
    See, I've worked for a few places already, and in my opinion, it's a mistake to immediately aim for a AAA title on a major console or for PC.

I would develop at least 3 shorter, simpler games (with development cycles of less than 1 year) so that the company could start making money sooner. Either simple puzzle games like what's on popcap.com, or original new gameplay for the likes of XBLA, WiiWare, or Nintendo DS (I've already done a little bit of DS programming, and I really believe that it's possible for a small team to make a kickass game in a short amount of time and on a tight budget.)

Once at least one of those three games starts making money above its production costs, I'll know that I can start working on "bigger" projects, but a part of the company would remain focused on these smaller, probably more casual games, because while I play a lot of hardcore-type games, I'm one of those gamers who does not look down on more casual games, and indeed, I love many of them.

With the kind of business I'm talking about, such a company could be started with an initial capital of less than 1 million$, assuming you can find a cheap enough office space, and a small but efficient team: 2 programmers, 1 artist, 1 designer (not counting me) and after a few months, 2-5 testers. Expansion only happens as the company starts making more money.

That's probably the wiser business investment, but if had a good 50 million dollars available for this sort of thing, I don't know if I would waste 2-3 years on casual games. I'd take a look at, say, the 160 page design document I've been revising for half a decade and say that today was the day. If anything, I'd just make a few cheap casuals at the same time to recoup some money if the big game idea doesn't pan out.

Here's a question. How do we theoretical multimillionaires actually date at this point? Obviously it won't matter if you already have a girlfriend/boyfriend, but otherwise I imagine it would be hard to avoid the obvious gold digger types, or even get privacy. On the other hand, if you don't provide the lavish gifts and trips to Europe, don't you look a little cheap? I suppose it doesn't matter if you're fine with casual relationships, and I'm not saying I wouldn't go the "lol two+ chicks at once" route for a year or so, but sooner or later it could get old.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    -I'd set 30m aside for high interest investments
    -Buy a condo right in the heart of the city.
    -Travel
    -put 1m towards high stakes poker
    -Buy a sailboat and take sailing lessons
    -Buy a Porsche

Man, what could you not do.

Meiz on