As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GV10: Best of 2005-2015

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited April 2015 in Graphic Violence
As part of this whole deal with Graphic Violence turning 10 years old and all, I thought it'd be good to take stock of how far comic books have come over the past 10 years. So we'll be doing a series of polls and threads about everyone's favorite things about comics and superheroes and everything else for the next few weeks or so. This thread is going to be serve as kind of a master list for this. The following will be a short list of various categories we'll be discussing, and if there are any others you'd like to see, post them in here and we'll see about adding them.

GV10: Best of 2005-15 Master List

Best New Character - Voting is now closed! Winner: Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan!
Best Character Revival - Voting is now closed! Winner: Clint Barton, Hawkeye!
Best New Team - Voting is now closed! Winner: Guardians of the Galaxy!
Best Comic Book TV Show - Voting is now closed! Winner: The Flash!
Best Comic Book Video Game - Voting is now closed! Winner: Batman: Arkham Asylum!
Best Comic Book Movie - Voting is now closed! Winner: Captain America: The Winter Soldier!
Best Writer - Voting is now closed! Winner: Jonathan Hickman!
Best Artist - Voting is now closed! Winner: Stuart Immonen!
Best Licensed Comic - Voting is now closed! Winner: Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye!
Best Event Series - Voting is now closed! Winner: Annihilation!
Best Non-Big Two Comic - Voting is now closed! Winner: Saga!
Best Marvel or DC Comic - Voting is now closed! Winner: Ultimate Spider-Man!
Best Publisher - Voting is now closed! Winner: Marvel!

I'll open up nominations for the first category this morning. Nominations will probably be up for...three days or so, and I'll open up voting for that category and nominations for the next category the next day. These numbers might get tweaked as we see how everything goes. Anyways, if you have any other suggestions for categories, please post them in here. Remember, we're talking about a ten-year period, so something like "Best Moment" might get a bit unwieldy.

DJ Eebs on

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Question; are we literally doing 10 years, or just a general 10 years (So, like, any character made in 2005 would be fine, or would we start with March 12 2005?)

EDIT: This question didn't seem nearly as stupid in my head. :razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    We're looking at April 2005 through today. If we have any disputes, we can work them out in the threads

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Best new character is going to take some thinking, but I'm pretty sure I know who I'm going to nominate for best character revival

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Best new character is going to take some thinking, but I'm pretty sure I know who I'm going to nominate for best character revival

afterlife with archie?

The first nominations thread is now open!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Category suggestions:

Best Comic Adaptation (of a novel/TV series/movie/etc)
    Best New Costume
    Best Comic Reference in a Rap Song

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh damn

Hi @Keith

hi

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Category suggestions:

Best new creator (maybe it makes sense to break it out into writer, artist, colorist, etc)
    Best single issue
    Best panel/best page

I'll admit that "Best panel" is just me trying to coax people into posting awesome Moment of the Decade scans. "Best single issue" might be a tough category, and the main reason I'm suggesting it is because I have a specific nominee in mind.

Added a category for Best New Team, Best Artist and Best Writer.

Single issue and single panel are getting a little too narrow, for such a long time span, but I'll probably open a thread near the end of this for people to post their favorites. Nominations and voting for those seem like they'd get WAY out of hand.

A MOTDecade thread is basically what I was angling for.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I get that Best New Colorist is a bit niche, and really, it's probably not something that needs it's own thread seeing as Jordie Bellaire is pretty clearly the winner. Moon Knight, Pretty Deadly , Manhattan Projects, Tooth & Claw, and like, a hundred other books, and all of them gorgeous and with their own feel.

yeah, I don't mean to say that colorists don't do really good work that's super important to each comic they work on I, I'm just not sure how much traffic that thread would really see

which is another reason why Jordie is awesome, she's been using her (Eisner Award Winner) profile to be super vocal in pushing for greater recognition for colorists and letterers

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I get that Best New Colorist is a bit niche, and really, it's probably not something that needs it's own thread seeing as Jordie Bellaire is pretty clearly the winner. Moon Knight, Pretty Deadly , Manhattan Projects, Tooth & Claw, and like, a hundred other books, and all of them gorgeous and with their own feel.

Dean White, Justin Ponsor off the top of my head disagree with the "clearly the winner"

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I was mostly joking, but those are fine choices for runner-up

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    How about "Best Story Arc" instead of single issue? Covers alot of those smaller storylines that werent huge events like Civil War or Crisis. Something like "One More Day" in Spider-Man (ok not an example for a winner of course, but you get what Im saying).

Best Character Death - aka SPOILERS the contest.

Best New Costume - whether its on a new character (Miles Morales or Ms Marvel) or a revamp of an old one (Iron Spider or Captain Marvel), it the costume debuted in the last 10 years it counts.

Just a brief scheduling update: Nomination threads started on Mondays and Wednesdays will be open for two days, and nomination threads that start on Friday will be open for three days. Here's how it will work in practice:

Friday: Nominations open
    Monday: Nominations close. Voting opens. Nominations for new category opens.
    Wednesday: Voting closes for first category. Nominations for second category close, and voting opens. Third category opens for nominations.

And so on. I'll be updating the OP with specific dates, and I'm still weighing adding more categories. I'll know more once I get a concrete look at how long this will take.

Yo Geebs, I just wanted to say that not only is this whole idea rad as heck, your writeups on the results have also been super fun to read, just excellent work all around.

Thanks, I'm glad you're digging the write-ups. I'm glad the number of nominees has been dropping though.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This stuff is neat, but I don't feel like I've read enough comics, or watched enough shows or movies to vote.

Programming note: some stuff came up for Monday morning, so I'm pushing the deadlines up to 6am Monday morning instead of 10 am for voting and nominations for Best Team and Best Comic TV Show respectively. I don't think this is going to affect too many people, but I have stuff to do at 8 am and I want to make sure I get everything up before then, because I have no idea how long it's going to take,

• M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I second Best Costume and am eagerly looking forward to the Best Artist category.

edited March 2015
    OK, here's an idea I had about something we can do: put together a sticky with a list of seminal runs in ongoing series. We have a "read this if you're new to comics" thread, but I feel like I could go for more of a "deep cuts" thread, or a "here's what we as a forum decided are the Modern Classics" or whatever. Or maybe a "Forum Favorites" or something.

My specific motivation: so often I read a thread that makes me think "Oh yes, that's right, I need to read that X-Force series with Fantomex and Evan", but then I try to read up on which trades I need to get for that series and can't always figure it out. Sometimes series intertwine with others (like Hickman's Avengers + New Avengers), sometimes a long run might have Required Reading arcs followed by Don't Ever Read This Trash arcs, and so on. Sometimes I just don't remember the specific details to even start looking.

Basically, I trust the folks on this form more than I trust the entirety of the rest of the internet, so I kind of just want all of you to tell me what to read. Something like:
    Uncanny X-Force, Rick Remender & Jerome Opeña, trades #X-#Y: Fantomex &co. try to raise Evan, a clone of Apocalypse.

Now that I've written it, it almost seems like a ridiculous request. If the list grows too long, it would become completely useless, because it would just say "Read all of the comics". If the list is pared down, eventually someone will say "wait but what about Run X?". So, I'm not sure how feasible it is.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I should have put this in the "what improvements do I want to see in GV" thread.

Delduwath on
    Theres a Google doc floating around for this exact purpose. Dunno where it's locsted though.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    that is a thing I've not heard of but would love to see

edited March 2015
    Undead Scottsman on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I basically just slapped it together after a bunch of people subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and were asking for suggestions. So it's really a Marvel Unlimited list (with links) rather than an all-purpose thing

That is a pretty great document, and I feel like we should sticky that somewhere.

We can also make a community-editable spreadsheet doc that incorporates those links along with print-related info. Although, it sounds like Google docs can only be shared either with individual people, or Google Groups, or everyone in the world. If we wanted a doc that only we could edit, we might need to set up a parallel GV Google Group, which may be more trouble than it's worth.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Marvel Unlimited is entirely responsible for me getting back into comics. I have consumed almost the entirety of the available Marvel Now titles on it, and a whole lot of the back catalog 2009 forwards. This is all just within the last year for me.