As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Call of Duty 4 demo out... and Yahoo servers went down after exactly 2 seconds!

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37612

Download is borked for everyone, right?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    yea, pretty much. I kinda saw that coming when they let yahoo game handle it.

ObstSkwerl on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It better look as good as Episode 2 does on my computer. I hate it when the games running on outdated tech look better than new games that I have to scale down.

Hoz on
  • OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Downloading it now but it's going real slow. Maybe Fileplanet isn't all that bad after all.

Ozmodai on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CoD 4 is a great, great game.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is the 360 demo out too? I played the Beta for 2 whole days, the 360 was in the shop for the rest of it....

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm getting the demo now at decent speed with a torrent, I'm sure most torrent sites will have a tracker for it soon.

Ozmodai on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just finished playing it. The single-player is great - really intense stuff. I can't wait for the full game this November.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • RetotheMixRetotheMix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't see it on XBL :x

RetotheMix on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RetotheMix wrote: »
    I don't see it on XBL :x

That's because it's a PC demo...

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    gamershell has it up. http://www.gamershell.com/download_21400.shtml

And bloody hell, is it like time to clusterfuck everyone with stuff to play at the moment
    Timeshift Demo,
    FEAR: Persius Mandate Demo
    Escape from Paradise City demo

UT3 right around the corner, and Crysis at the end of the month... argh...

Rook on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never seen so many good games coming out in such a short time span. I'm probably going to spend at least 300 bucks on games between now and christmas.

Also, was anyone else getting weird lighting issues on the CoD4 demo? As I was moving at certain points my gun was flickering black, same with the troops.

Urian on
    edited October 2007
    Well, the game looks and runs great on my rig. It plays a little too much like the past games and that's my only disappointment (hopefully the full game treads some new ground). They even have those pre-ragdoll death animations originating from CoD1 which kind of make me cringe.

Hoz on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    PC users getting something before Xbox Live? UNTHINKABLE!

(Downloading now... My PC has already started weeping).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Feels like old Call of Duty mission scheme.

"We got an anti-air/tank/half track, take it out before we can send in reinforcements."

"Take out those tanks with the bazooka/Javelin/RPG"

"Hold this position til reinforcement arrive !"

It's the skirmishes in between which feel good, and don't forget the obligatory strafing run on an enemy structure or advancing group with cinematic music after.

VaLiantine on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ugh.. 5 hour download :(

man, wish it was on fileplanet.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It is on Fileplanet.

VaLiantine on
    edited October 2007
    I replayed it a few times. It is much harder than any other CoD that I've played. But it doesn't feel arbitrary, actually it feels forgiving. I kept thinking "boy would I be fucking dead if this was real" (although soon enough I tended to become dead in the simulation).

Hoz on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Played through on Veteran, this shit is tough. Very fun, very graphically pleasing, very exciting.

Pojaco on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm happy to hear this has nice single-player. I plan on getting this before Halo 3, based on the multiplayer beta.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    It is on Fileplanet.

oh man, I didn't even see that damn logo.. thanks a lot man!

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it blasphemy to say that I didn't like it that much?

I think it has to do with the fact that there is way too much crap going on. TOO much shooting, if thats even possible.

I usually like COD, but this, ehhh, not so much. I think it's that level.

Xeno on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I like it. It runs great, looks great, and is classic Call of Duty. You can make the argument that it's basically COD2 with modern-era skins and I'd probably agree, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Zxerol on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xeno wrote: »
    Is it blasphemy to say that I didn't like it that much?

I think it has to do with the fact that there is way too much crap going on. TOO much shooting, if thats even possible.

I usually like COD, but this, ehhh, not so much. I think it's that level.
    It's not quite as bad a 64 player game of Karkland. But I am getting the same feeling that the level is full of barely controlled chaos.

FreddyD on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, but wouldn't a real shootout be like that? I think we're spoiled by heavily refined FPS games-the "don't place enemies where the player won't be looking" type of design.

Hoz on
  • FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Only played it a little bit so far, but I like it. It seems really, really polished. Hell, I was impressed by just the loading screen, after seeing TF2's static, unresponsive loading sign so many times now. :D Think I'll pick this up for the multiplayer, the most fun part of BF2 was moving around in infantry squads, and this seems to do this a whole lot better.

Firebrand on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm... on my 7600 card, my soldiers all had this fairy light from the Team Ico games and Super Mario Galaxy... also, there were unexplainable light sources everywhere in the game, like no corner was allowed to be dark. Very weird, since the screenshots I've seen from the game looked very realistic.

EDIT: Btw, holy shit the game is boring! It's the same glorified Duck Hunt (shooting gallery) as the first, only with more confusing scripted events which refuse to play unless you figure out what to do. I did like the first game, though... but this just feels tacky.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The 360 multiplayer beta was the best experience I had on the console until Halo 3.

If the single player is an ounce as good as the multi, it will blow me away.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I like it. It runs great, looks great, and is classic Call of Duty. You can make the argument that it's basically COD2 with modern-era skins and I'd probably agree, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It does feel very linear, but then again, HOLY SHIT was that an awesome firefight at the tanks. I played it on the hard difficulty setting, so grenades pissed me the fuck off no end, but it was really frantic and getting mellee kills is awesome. I think the control scheme is topnotch with almost everything bound to a key (I hate manually selecting and throwing grenades).

Framerate wise, I'm pretty impressed, zipping along at 1920x1200 with no slowdown on an admittedly highend rig though. Graphics wise it's all quite nice although nothing quite special.

Rook on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just finished downloading and had a quick go. It worked pretty good on medium settings. If the console versions are half as good as this, GOTY.... well, fps of the year easily.
    The animation was insane and the atmosphere was really gritty. They've done a great job of keeping that tension you got in COD2 and 3. I was expecting something wholly different but this sticks to that same formula but injects it with steroids and then pees in your tea. And you'll want more.

Again, I ran it at low-medium settings and it looked really good for a minimum setting. I don't want to think how good the game'd look on high.

Big Classy on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The MP beta was fun and looked awesome.

Faricazy on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I gotta be honest, I'm sick and fucking tired of these over-scripted, linear, whole-squad-but-really-its-one-man-against-the-world type shooters that Infinity Ward produces. Jackson, grab the Javelin! Jackson, plant the IR! Jackson, get on the machinegun! It isn't immersive to me.

I'm starting to feel like it's the gaming equivalent of the Transformers Movie... except that this is its third sequel.

Ran well on my relatively modest rig, though. It gets points for that.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's a game. An action game. Not strategy. Action.

I'm saying you hate fun, basically.

Faricazy on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's okay, I'm saying you're sheep. :lol:

AlejandroDaJ on
    edited October 2007
    "You guys are stupid for playing with a BALL! Do you know how long people have played with a BALL!? For YEARS! It's not INNOVATIVE! It's a BALL!! Stop being SHEEP!!!"

This game is great.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't found the ball yet, you sure it's in there?

Did anyone else find it heavy on the blacks and grey? COuld be because its night time.

Big Classy on
  • MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I registered just to say I don't fucking care how scripted it is, COD4 was an enjoyable and intense experience; more so than any recent FPS I have played (which is, all of them).

The multiplayer should prove to be even better.

Mosati on
  • Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lots of explosions and tracers and loud noises, yet still a little boring, I thought. It feels extremely on rails, with heavy scripting making up for an AI that is lots of A and very little I. It looks like your squad-mates are mostly just there for show. In other words, it's EXACTLY what I would have expected of a COD game if it hadn't been for the stupendously awesome multiplayer beta. Also, the controls feel awkward...they seemed much tighter in the beta, insofar as you can compare a gamepad with keyboard+mouse.

No big deal though, I will still pounce on this the moment it is released for the multiplayer alone <3

Oh, and one more thing: What's with all the weapons penetrating what I assume are concrete walls like a knife through butter? That is SO unrealistic! You should only be able to fire through a wall if you have the perk equipped ;-)

Chainsaw Wabbit on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They should just release the multiplayer portions of CoD 4 and Halo 3 as a package deal. I don't care about their single player anymore.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2007
    Halo 3's single player is really good, especially co-op.

This game's single will also be great, I'm sure of it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg