As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old [STEAM] thread. Please buy the new thread mod for $4.99.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Tomb Raider has some of the most brutal death scenes I've ever seen.

I'm not too squeamish but damn, some of them are quite disturbing.

That jaw scene. That fucking jaw scene D:
    are you talking about the one in the river? that one was icky

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Watching Conan play Tomb Raider was priceless when those death scenes happened. If anybody hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I saw the river one when Conan O' Brien was playing it and I was just laughing at his reactions.

Also, not Steam and I never thought I'd say this but buying a PS4 just for Bloodborne (for now) was completely worth it. I broke my rule of only buying a console if it has five exclusive games I want on it and I am so glad I did even if it keeps killing me.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I saw the river one when Conan O' Brien was playing it and I was just laughing at his reactions.

That's at the 6 minute mark. He loses his mind and it's hilarious.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I'm just about at past that point in the game, so I'm sure many more delightful deaths await!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    It's like they picked up some of the Mortal Kombat team after Midway tanked.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'm getting a new graphics card (Radeon R9 280X) and I'm kinda wondering what are some good games to try it out with. Preferably ones I've already got.

I've got Shadow of Mordor and MGS5 Ground Zeroes, which won't run at all with my old graphics card. I'll probably also try out some Titanfall, since I liked the game, but it didn't run great.

I kinda want to see what sort of framerate I'll get in Crysis with everything maxed, though that probably doesn't mean as much as it used to.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    In other news, the amazing C2B is updating this post of his in the Pillars of Eternity thread with PoE reviews as they get posted.

Consensus seems to be that Obsidian absolutely nailed it.

It probably says something about me that I'm off to a works thing tonight, where the food and drink is all paid for...and I'm hacked off because I can't get home to start my pre-load of PoE.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    In other news, the amazing C2B is updating this post of his in the Pillars of Eternity thread with PoE reviews as they get posted.

It probably says something about me that I'm off to a works thing tonight, where the food and drink is all paid for...and I'm hacked off because I can't get home to start my pre-load of PoE.

In the future, you should just do what I did:

Install Teamviewer on your home computer and you can start the pre-load from your phone :)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Congratulations to me on finally finishing Deus Ex: HR.

I played the whole game hacking/stealth and I loved how much power I had over the lives of those poor little soldiers. I barely even looked at a boss. I kept my kill count low. And the final encounter lasted all of 4 seconds thanks to a successful persuasion earlier. The gameplay was GREAT. I loved that I could actually play however I wanted.

Missing Link was AWFUL in some of its execution.

Also that ending was just terrible. It doesn't negate the overall quality of the game, but boy howdy what a mess.
    Ending spoilers for a game released in 2011:
    All the power over the media in the world at my fingertips, and Jensen can't kind combine two of those? WHy does all science have to be bad? Why can't I do some science, some regulation? WHy can't I tell people the truth in a way that will make them understand? Why am I pushing one of 4 fucking buttons are you kidding me?

Also, hour after hour of Jensen longing to find Megan and she runs off never to return. No epilogue? No Stinger? Man...game really needed to give me some more emotional closure than a Metal Gear newsreel cut.

Anyway next up is...I don't know! Here are my candidates:
    *Shadow of Mordor - I just bought this so there are older games I should probably play first but man oh man i hear it's good
    Batman: Arkham Origins -Got this on the cheap and heard it is OK
    *Brutal legend - Gotta give this a real chance.
    Gemini Rue - Started this...but am I all Blade Runnered out right now?
    **Gone Home - Stupidly haven't played this yet
    Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    METRO Last Light - I might wait for a copy of REDUX...
    Sleeping Dogs: DE
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

HR's ending was a subject of much criticism when the game came out. And kind of weird given that it was a prequel so only a few make any sense.

As for your choices . . .

Gunpoint and Gone Home are the shortest. Gunpoint is actually relaxing in a way since you can be a sarcastic and silly person in dialogue and much of your takedown options in mission amount to weaponized physical comedy (why yes, I will rewire this light switch to deliver shocks to a guard in the next room passing a power socket). Good when you aren't feeling like something serious. Gone Home is when you want something compelling but with tinges of tragedy.

Tomb Raider is great. Not a whole lot to say really and it's the only man-shooter/axer on the list.

Super Time Force is fun but frantic.

Sleeping Dogs is excellent. So is Mordor. Both in different ways. Mordor has parkour and use of vertical space, stealth takedowns, better combat, and a tighter focus on what it does. The characters are not hugely interesting though and the story just gets silly at times.

Sleeping Dogs has a great story and characters a ton of content with the DE and more interesting environments. It exchanges some tightness of melee combat for breadth. I've dealt with a melee encounter that was giving me trouble by popping into an SUV to run over some of the initial thugs before grabbing a tire iron out of the trunk to give a further edge in the fight.
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Oh gosh darnit...

There WAS a post-credits scene. You just don't get it if you skip the credits.

And I don't understand any of it because I never played Deus Ex past the first hour.

It ties into the intro. Megan was talking to one of the two men that speak in the intro.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Install Teamviewer on your home computer and you can start the pre-load from your phone :)

Can you preload from the mobile app?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    To anyone and everyone lamenting the lack of monkeys in video games:

System Shock 2.

There are too damn many monkeys in video games.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

I'm not sure. I probably should have tried that but I was already remoted into my home PC so it was easy to start the pre-load.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular

I believe you can through the web interface as well. You just can't add a key to Steam through the web interface. Not sure about the mobile app. You can definitely install via mobile app as well.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    @Elbasunu Transistor is your best choice. Not too long, fun, challenging, and with a good story and lovely art.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Not sure who bought my booster pack just now, but thank you for making South Park Pinball possible, kind stranger!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @Elbasunu Transistor is your best choice. Not too long, fun, challenging, and with a good story and lovely art.

Transistor has no story. A story has a goal for the protagonist, whereas Red in Transistor doesn't seem to have a definitive goal other than finding her killers, which could have been a fairly good story if
    they hadn't all committed suicide before she even arrived because heaven forbid there be some conflict in this game and I don't mean in the combat sense.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Am I getting the wrong impression, or is Pillars of Eternity simply a prettier, more modern Baldur's Gate?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Transistor has no story. A story has a goal for the protagonist, whereas Red in Transistor doesn't seem to have a definitive goal other than finding her killers, which could have been a fairly good story if
    they hadn't all committed suicide before she even arrived because heaven forbid there be some conflict in this game and I don't mean in the combat sense.
    Red has a goal. First she is trying to figure out what happened to CloudBank and save the city. Through her journey she realizes that her original goal doesn't matter to her and chooses a new path.

Just because you don't like the story does not mean that there isn't one.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Am I getting the wrong impression, or is Pillars of Eternity simply a prettier, more modern Baldur's Gate?

With a different rule system designed for computer games and Obsidian writing and a huge megadungeon and pets and a fortress and ...

I mean, yeah, basically?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

With a different rule system designed for computer games and Obsidian writing and a huge megadungeon and pets and a fortress and ...

I mean, yeah, basically?

And I'm only 1GB away from it :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Looks like Akiba's Strip and Ys The Ark of Napishtim are hitting Steam soon. Press release should be coming shortly. Appears Akiba's will be the PS4 version and Ys will have some new features like warping through checkpoints and a "hardcore" mode that doesn't allow you to store healing items (they get used on pickup).

Akiba's is notable being their first Steam foray that isn't a game that was already natively on PC in some way.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I mean, yeah, basically?

I mean in the basic appearance and layout. I expect the games are different.

I also had to look up Obsidian, and while I own four of their games, I've never played any of them . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Red has a goal. First she is trying to figure out what happened to CloudBank and save the city. Through her journey she realizes that her original goal doesn't matter to her and chooses a new path.

Red does? Or does the game just kind of shove you along with no explanation and just a "Shit's fucked." Because she is not a character, she's a cardboard cutout with a sword. She doesn't do a single thing of her own volition and doesn't communicate at all. And really don't tell me she can't because she's mute because talking is not the only way to communicate. There's body language, expressions, gestures, writing, etc. We get none of that because the devs chose to have the sword do the talking and he doesn't know anything either.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Solid Sega sale this weekend.

Alien Isolation $15. Valkyria Chronicles $6.79. All Total War 75% except Attila. Looks like there's supposed to be "whole Sega catalog" bundle for $80, but it's not working.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, just a heads up on my earlier IC post. If you spend 30 bucks to buy the ultimate pack on Steam you get ALL released heroes (including Krypto the Superdog who came out today) and a Steam Exclusive Gold Superman costume. That's the sale price, it's going up to 90 (I think) after the promo. And anyone who was in beta that spent over a certain amount of CC will get all heroes unlocked as well.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

I mean, yeah, basically?

I also had to look up Obsidian, and while I own four of their games, I've never played any of them . . .

You need to rectify this. They are some of the best writers in the business. Heck probably THE best.

Except for Dungeon Siege 3, that was pretty workmanlike and doesn't really show any of their qualities (not surprisingly it was also their least buggy game).

Corpekata on
  • Options

I mean, yeah, basically?

The main difference I've seen is that there doesn't appear to be any "dump" stats. So where fighters would normally have Strength and Dexterity and not care about Intelligence and Wisdom, and mages would be the opposite, in PoE it switches that up to have more abstract stats - so "Might" is the damage modifier for all classes, something else increases splash damage regardless of class, etc.

So it might provide for greater variety with lots of different configurations which would work instead of a "proper" min/max for a given class.

Or it could make all classes play the same. I don't know.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's not AD&D so the system is automatically better.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Red does? Or does the game just kind of shove you along with no explanation and just a "Shit's fucked." Because she is not a character, she's a cardboard cutout with a sword. She doesn't do a single thing of her own volition and doesn't communicate at all. And really don't tell me she can't because she's mute because talking is not the only way to communicate. There's body language, expressions, gestures, writing, etc. We get none of that because the devs chose to have the sword do the talking and he doesn't know anything either.

Uhhh? (Transistor spoilers)
    Did you miss all the terminals you write messages at, eventually only communicating with Breach since everyone else is gone? Or that her goal was to save her lover, who saved her in the beginning, and that the game opened and closed on those two points? Was choosing to commit suicide when she finally realized it was hopeless not of her own volition?

If you dislike something, whatever, but saying there "is no story" is silly.

Also holy shit, that '50s chainsaw Wonder Woman is the baddest thing I've seen in weeks. Is there an atomic age comic series to go with that? Are other characters as rad?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I mean, yeah, basically?

This made my head hurt.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Looks like Akiba's Strip and Ys The Ark of Napishtim are hitting Steam soon. Press release should be coming shortly. Appears Akiba's will be the PS4 version and Ys will have some new features like warping through checkpoints and a "hardcore" mode that doesn't allow you to store healing items (they get used on pickup).

Akiba's is notable being their first Steam foray that isn't a game that was already natively on PC in some way.

I hope this means they can eventually get a PC release of Ys VII. While I do have it on PSP, I've never played it because I hate actually using my PSP. And while they're at it, they can port Ys Celceta to PC!

(As far as I know, neither game had a native PC release)

• Options
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Go play KoTOR II! (Play KoTOR first if you haven't. Also, use the restoration mod with II.)

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition is also 80% off for the weekend.

In that Sega sale: holy shit look at Alien: Isolation! No excuses, people.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Fallout: New Vegas was the first (and come to think of it, the only) Obsidian game I played. I came away pretty impressed, even though I was disappointed at first. New Vegas didn't grab me right away like Fallout III.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

Plenty of stories start out by happening to the main character instead of them waking up and saying to the audience "This? This here is my motivation. It prescribes my every action."

You're right, though. As the game opens, the story happens to Red. As it continues she develops a goal and goes after it. Her goal also changes as the story progresses. Just because Red doesn't talk doesn't mean that her intentions aren't made clear through The Transistor's narration and gameplay.
    Initially, Red's goal is to investigate The Process and figure out what is happening to Cloudbank. After that her goal becomes to take confront the Camerata to get answers. After she gets some answers and eliminates (or finds out that they have done it themselves) them, her goal becomes personal reconciliation which she achieves by deciding to live in the Transistor with her lover instead of what she decides is a pointless task (rebuilding Cloudbank).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Uhhh? (Transistor spoilers)
    Did you miss all the terminals you write messages at, eventually only communicating with Breach since everyone else is gone? Or that her goal was to save her lover, who saved her in the beginning, and that the game opened and closed on those two points? Was choosing to commit suicide when she finally realized it was hopeless not of her own volition?

If you dislike something, whatever, but saying there "is no story" is silly.

Also holy shit, that '50s chainsaw Wonder Woman is the baddest thing I've seen in weeks. Is there an atomic age comic series to go with that? Are other characters as rad?
    There was a story all the way to the tower, but it ended the moment you found the killers all dead by suicide. Yes, she had a goal in the beginning and if the game had ended at that point with everything falling down it would have been a story. Maybe not a good one but it had the elements.

Instead it continues on and goes absolutely nowhere for the rest of the game. Everything is falling down and there is no way to fix it. I compare Transistor to Deus Ex Human Revolution. The beginning is fairly solid and the journey pretty good, but once you reach the halfway point everything just gets stupid to the point where the ending is absolutely pointless. Transistor has Red commit suicide after accomplishing nothing and HR has Jensen push a button dispense stock photos over babbling narration.

What is Red's goal after finding the killers dead and learning she can't bring her lover back to life? Nothing! She has no purpose from that point forward and is just going through the motions. The story ended in the tower. Red's suicide was not the culmination of the story, it was an event prior to the credits with nothing connecting to it.

What should have happened is that Breach should have been in that tower, the lone survivor. He reveals to Red that her boyfriend can't be revived and that the city is doomed no matter what. He then attacks her with his own Transistor for her interfering with their plans and causing this whole destruction. Red defeats him and then, seeing that it's the end of existence pretty much, commits suicide rather than be derezzed.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Gordon Freeman doesn't do anything we don't tell him to, doesn't speak and has no visible (to us) body language, expressions, gestures, writing, etc. Would you say Half-Life 2 had no story?

Even if I agreed with your assessment of Red as a character, you are equating protagonist character with game story. A game can have a robust story even if the main character isn't the primary vehicle for expressing it. RAGE had a story, nonsensical though it was, and that character was a completely mute cipher.

Also, saying a protagonist does nothing of her own volition is a strange criticism for a video game. I mean, sure, some games have cutscenes or quicktime events where the PC does something beyond the player's direct controls. Are games that don't do that excluded from having stories, though?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition is also 80% off for the weekend.

In that Sega sale: holy shit look at Alien: Isolation! No excuses, people.

My excuse is I'm not sure if my machine will handle it.

Valkyria will be mine tomorrow (payday) though! I've missed far too many sales on this one!

This discussion has been closed.