As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodborne: Use WangHunt as MP Password to Hate the Co-Op System

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    2 more bosses down for a total of 4. I think this now means I'm further in Bloodborne than I ever got in a souls game, heh, now to figure out where to go next...

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just had my first 3 on 1 gang bang. I felt bad
    for the Beckoner having to waste time murderating the vile thug.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm at BSB. It doesn't seem that bad, but how do you get Fire Paper?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The only problem I'd have with the difficulty is if it's unfair, and frustratingly so. From what I hear, Bloodborne can be frustrating, but when you kill something it gives you satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. I'm ok with that kind of difficulty. I'm also planning on going into it with a friend, who is new to the series as well, so I think I'll end up digging it.

This describes all 4(including Bloodborne) Souls games. You can get trapped into feeling like any of the games are "unfair" but they're not. They will all frustrate you, but every death you have ever had in any Souls game was your fault. If you think something is unfair, go watch one of the many videos of people doing level 1 no armor runs of all the Souls games. It's simply a matter of learning the games, being patient, and not making mistakes. Honestly, getting frustrated usually just makes you play worse. I find I do best when I just take it in stride. When I die to a boss or whatever, I only think about what I did wrong so I can stay level headed and correct those things and win.

There is nothing in the video game world better than the satisfaction you get from beating challenges that have tested you in the Souls games. Even the small victories, like running through and smashing enemies that you once had to patiently read or even died to is extremely satisfying.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Kirkhammer is godlike if it's your playstyle. Like any Souls game, weapons come down to what moveset you prefer and pretty much nothing else.

For me, at least until I can try the sword/greatsword the Kirkhammer is the only choice. I started with the axe and couldn't wait to replace it.

With Kirkhammer, I get horizontal R1s and a decent range thrusting R2, basically the Souls Longsword standard which is exactly the kind of thing I like. And with the hammer portion while the R1s are too slow and vertical to use on most enemies, the R2 slam down and the leaping attack both have good range and great power. And the L2 is a nice long range sweeping attack for clearing mobs.

Against Father G when I'd stun him, a charged R2 into an R1 then dodging back did about 500 damage total. Probably close to 15% of his life bar per combo. It's a monster.

The R1s aren't even bad against slow enemies. The big stone giant type guys, I don't even bother using gun for any more. I can kill them with 3 R1s that all stagger them out of their attacks, or a leaping R2 into R1 kills them.

It's funny because I loved the Axe and I'm only sort of neutral-ish on the Kirkhammer. I like the bigger damage it deals but I also felt the 2H R1s were a little lacking. People are raving elsewhere about the R1 L1 L1 combo (start and end in sword) but I think it's trash because the 3rd hit has tremendous windup and a weird hitbox and it just doesn't stagger enough to safely work. 1H R1s are workmanlike but not really what I usually like.

I dunno. I was a Great Scythe slut in DS1, I'm still trying to find a good equivalent.

That's the beauty of Souls games though. Everybody finds the movesets that feel most comfortable to them and you can make anything work for you. In fact, I'd argue scaling and all that matters considerably less in any of the games than just finding a weapon that suits you personally.
    So not sure if this has been discussed, but a lot of the pre-release press focused on how much more alive the Bloodborne world was - how the Souls games traditionally just had monsters standing around, and how now when you ran back to recover your blood echoes monsters would be in unpredictable places and moving around.

I love the game so far, and maybe it changes, but it looks like they just made patrols. Which, cool, but is that really revolutionary? I remember patrolling monsters in Dark Souls, so I was a little bit confused as to why this was noteworthy.

IMO that was just a case of a little over hyping pre release. I agree with you, dudes patrol, but that's not new to Souls games.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So, I've reproduced that static buzzing RAM-error-type noise I've perceived in Old Yarnham. The first stairs down to the spot with where the...
    ...Gatling Guy first starts pelting our hunter with bullets

When I walk those stairs back up to return to the "Old Yarnham" quicktravel lamp, I get that electrostatic-type buzzing noise for a split-second, known to me only from instances when my RAM is spazzing out on my PC, just before getting a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death).

Could somebody check if they get the same thing there? I'd feel a lot better, if I'm not the only one getting that.

yeah I've had it now and then, especially in old yarnham

Yeah ive noticed the buzzing sound too, disc version.. almost always happens when running UP those stairs back to the bonfire. Thats exactly the sound it makes...heard it on my consoles and on my PC.

BTW, how do i tell my PS4 to install the game from the disk? or is that automatic. I'm hoping to speed up load times.

Automatic. Games don't play off disc on the PS4 or XBox One. They only use the disc to validate your ownership (just like digital games make a call to the mothership to verify ownership).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm at BSB. It doesn't seem that bad, but how do you get Fire Paper?

Given by
    Alfred in Cathedral Ward. Gives you three
    . Farmed from
    the torch wielding dudes in the Chalice Dungeon. Which. . .ok wont actually work for what you're trying to do

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So not sure if this has been discussed, but a lot of the pre-release press focused on how much more alive the Bloodborne world was - how the Souls games traditionally just had monsters standing around, and how now when you ran back to recover your blood echoes monsters would be in unpredictable places and moving around.

I love the game so far, and maybe it changes, but it looks like they just made patrols. Which, cool, but is that really revolutionary? I remember patrolling monsters in Dark Souls, so I was a little bit confused as to why this was noteworthy.

IMO that was just a case of a little over hyping pre release. I agree with you, dudes patrol, but that's not new to Souls games.

I dunno, I think people just took their statement and made it whatever they wanted it to be in their head. In reality, the world feels quite a bit more alive. Things change very drastically as the game moves on, enemies have things to say to you, patrols and spawn locations change, etc. I think what From said is true, the world is more alive...but it's also vague, allowing people to decide in their own mind what "more alive" means.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I'm not saying I think From over hyped it. I'm saying journalists did, because we were all excited for Bloodborne and that makes people get over eager and start imagining how things might be.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I dunno, I think people just took their statement and made it whatever they wanted it to be in their head. In reality, the world feels quite a bit more alive. Things change very drastically as the game moves on, enemies have things to say to you, patrols and spawn locations change, etc. I think what From said is true, the world is more alive...but it's also vague, allowing people to decide in their own mind what "more alive" means.

Yeah... I agree with this sentiment. Being a guy who's followed plenty of MMOs from concept to development over the last 15 years, people tend to take words said by devs and inflate them in their minds to be something far greater than what the dev intended.

The world of Bloodborne is definitely more dynamic and "alive". It feels lived in rather than an unnatural and artificial video game world. The fact that we've gone back to a wholly interconnected world rather than the jarring transitions of DS2 helps with this too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So, I've reproduced that static buzzing RAM-error-type noise I've perceived in Old Yarnham. The first stairs down to the spot with where the...
    ...Gatling Guy first starts pelting our hunter with bullets

When I walk those stairs back up to return to the "Old Yarnham" quicktravel lamp, I get that electrostatic-type buzzing noise for a split-second, known to me only from instances when my RAM is spazzing out on my PC, just before getting a BSoD (Blue Screen of Death).

Could somebody check if they get the same thing there? I'd feel a lot better, if I'm not the only one getting that.

It's not just you. There are other areas in the game I've had it happen as well. Seems to happen more often in coop as well.

Thanks for the heads-up. Now I can sleep safe and sound tonight, knowing not just mine, but all the Playstation 4s are going up in smoke. That's a consolation. *shivers*

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    Odeon Chapel spoilers:
    The lady of the night that takes up residence there with the blonde hair/red dress is offering me her blood. I think the dialogue option is "Receive Blood Treatment." Anyone know what this does? I'm afraid to do it and kill her off or lock in some story thing.

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Lil' help? (Third boss Yharnam)
    Bloodstarved Beast. I can avoid his attacks now and get in hits consistently, so Phase 1 and 2 are no problem. Phase 3 I have no friggin clue how to beat. Antidote only clears the poison buildup unfortunately, no temporary resistance or anything. With how slow it is to use and the fact that BSB sweats poison constantly I have no idea how to go about Phase 3 at all. Any tips? Is there a trick I'm missing?

I'm also out of healing items and blood echoes. Already sold what I don't need. If you know a good place to get these I'd REALLY appreciate it!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bloodstarved Beast. I can avoid his attacks now and get in hits consistently, so Phase 1 and 2 are no problem. Phase 3 I have no friggin clue how to beat. Antidote only clears the poison buildup unfortunately, no temporary resistance or anything. With how slow it is to use and the fact that BSB sweats poison constantly I have no idea how to go about Phase 3 at all. Any tips? Is there a trick I'm missing?

I'm also out of healing items and blood echoes. Already sold what I don't need. If you know a good place to get these I'd REALLY appreciate it!
    Can't recall the name of it but in Old Yharnam there should be an armour set with decent poison resist - at least, better than any of the gear you start with. Seemed to help me out a lot during that fight. There are also 3 antidotes on a dead body at the very back end of the boss room behind the big statue.

This guy took me a couple of tries, I think I just got lucky with dodges at the end. definitely got my heart pumping. Good luck!

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    Voranth wrote: »
    Odeon Chapel spoilers:
    The lady of the night that takes up residence there with the blonde hair/red dress is offering me her blood. I think the dialogue option is "Receive Blood Treatment." Anyone know what this does? I'm afraid to do it and kill her off or lock in some story thing.

Pretty sure it's just an item they give you.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

How to farm lots of healing items:
    Make sure you have little to no souls. Spawn at the Cleric Beast's Bonfire. Head forward kill big dude (+2 heals). Kill the guy leading to the house, and the two in the house. (Possibility of a heal jar) go back out and aggro the wolves and pull them to the house's doorway where they can't fit and you can stab with a long reach weapon (2x +3 lifejars) head downstairs in the house, kill the two there, chance of a lifejar and +4 quicksilver bullets. Head towards where the Father's fight was. Kill the two big guys there (a counter with your shot will immobilize them and a visceral shot will almost always oneshot them) and get x2 +2 lifejars (Most of the time, very rare chance of coins) then head down the elevator, cross the bridge, kill another big dude at the end for another shot at +2, then kill the two half werewolf guys right before the Father's room. Once you're done use your hunter's mark that loses all your souls and respawn at the Cleric Bonfire. Repeat. You'll get 16-18 lifejars per run.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Make sure you have little to no souls. Spawn at the Cleric Beast's Bonfire. Head forward kill big dude (+2 heals). Kill the guy leading to the house, and the two in the house. (Possibility of a heal jar) go back out and aggro the wolves and pull them to the house's doorway where they can't fit and you can stab with a long reach weapon (2x +3 lifejars) head downstairs in the house, kill the two there, chance of a lifejar and +4 quicksilver bullets. Head towards where the Father's fight was. Kill the two big guys there (a counter with your shot will immobilize them and a visceral shot will almost always oneshot them) and get x2 +2 lifejars (Most of the time, very rare chance of coins) then head down the elevator, cross the bridge, kill another big dude at the end for another shot at +2, then kill the two half werewolf guys right before the Father's room. Once you're done use your hunter's mark that loses all your souls and respawn at the Cleric Bonfire. Repeat. You'll get 16-18 lifejars per run.

Awesomeeeeee

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

I think you make enough echoes on that run that you can afford buying bold marks for it.

• Options

You should have three Fire Paper. One is enough to grind it's ass down in about a minute. Less if you're gungho about it.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

You should have three Fire Paper. One is enough to grind it's ass down in about a minute. Less if you're gungho about it.
    I wasted them when I was still learning his moveset

Maybe the bath messengers will sell me some more

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2015
    ED! wrote: »

I wasted them when I was still learning his moveset

Maybe the bath messengers will sell me some more

Can only buy with Insight. :/

EDIT: Whoops. Looks like can buy from messenger as well. Not sure when that populated there. 4200 though.

ED! on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna need to do some vial farming too

Whacking my head on this boss took me from 40+ to less than 10

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Man, the absolute best thing about the new character creation is the fact that you can save configs. That's just, like... Goddamn, about time.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I hope the performance patch doesn't take forever to come out.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Ohhh one more question: How on EARTH do I summon people? I got me that Beckoning Bell and used it. Seemed to work at first, there was a periodic pulsating aura around my feet but then I waited for about 10 minutes and absolutely nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?
    Elendil wrote: »

Eh? I thought you can only carry 20 :O

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Just might be no one wanting to co-op. Set yourself to worldwide.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Are there any things you can't see or do when co-oping that I should know about? I assisted this one guy who clearly hadn't been to the area before, but when I tried to guide him to items to pick up or people to talk to, he didn't seem to see them. He might have just been dense though

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Dense. You can use peoples levers and shit in this game. Hell I opened a shortcut for a guy on the other side. . .he still died to boss though.

• Options
    Ohhh one more question: How on EARTH do I summon people? I got me that Beckoning Bell and used it. Seemed to work at first, there was a periodic pulsating aura around my feet but then I waited for about 10 minutes and absolutely nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?
    Elendil wrote: »

Eh? I thought you can only carry 20 :O

You can only keep 20 on your person, but any extras you pick up automatically get sent to your storage box in the Hunter's Dream. That's what it means when a colored (green, I think?) block appears in the item pickup window.

The game will also refill your blood and bullets from your storage whenever you die

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Phase 3 was stumping me as well, and then I found a fairly simple solution (and other helpful tricks):
    Use the axe, in its extended form, and suddenly his crazy speed is less relevant - your reach allows you to hit him after he lunges and you dodge, and his wild flailing keeps carrying him forward. I find this makes it hard to tag him with anything but the extended axe. This also keeps you mostly out of the poison cloud.

But also:

Use the pillars constantly. Always keep a pillar between you and the Beast as much as possible. Only heal when you're behind a pillar or he's very far away.

Use Insight to buy the Father G armour set from fountain in the Hunter's dream. It has huge slow poison resist and will keep you from being poisoned in those critical moments that make the difference.

If you get the chance (like he's flailing in the completely wrong direction), use your charged R2 attack. Especially with the extended axe. You can do some real damage, and it's hard to land more than one hit on the jumpy little bastard anyways.

• Options
    Fuck linked mobs. Fuck linked mobs that can stunlock you.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Nature-of-the-plot spoilers based on hearsay:
    With the dream and nightmare thing, and the way I've heard you guys talk about how the plot gets really weird, I hope I like it. I usually don't take too much to the abstract, symbolic stuff where you're not even sure of what's transpired. Maybe I'm simple minded, but I like my stories to have concrete events

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    I had no idea there was such a thing as a "charged" attack... That's what I get for ignoring all the tutorial messages thinking "yeah yeah I've played Dark Souls just let me through"

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I had no idea there was such a thing as a "charged" attack... That's what I get for ignoring all the tutorial messages thinking "yeah yeah I've played Dark Souls just let me through"

you should read the manual you can open from the PS menu! some things people have missed are in there.

• Options

Yea, the clinic has all the "Dark Souls" shit. The Hunters Dream has all the stuff you might want to read. Plus. . .the user manual (which isn't story or boss spoilery).

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Holy shit. Forbidden Woods spoilers.
    So I'm traipsing through the woods, doing my thing, exploring a new area like a boss, when I find a cave. Cave full of poison. Ok no big deal, I get the items and go through to the other side, finding another cave with a ladder in it. I climb it, expecting to find some new horror waiting for me, only to come out....in the graveyard outside Iosefka's clinic at the beginning of the fucking game! After DkS2 and its nonsensical world, I was stunned to see just how interconnected everything is in this game.

Mind blown.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This is the second time I got stuck on something.

First time I got stuck between a tree and iron fence and now this Coffin won't let me go.

https://youtu.be/YmeBpH8yAgQ

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    I swear some of these mobs have WAAAAAY more stamina than you do for the attacks they do.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Welp!

Hit credits.

I reallllly hope I'm not going to New Game+... ugh. Who knew that was the final boss...? Bah.

No, this looks super new-game+. Bah.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Don't be shy about just spending echoes on blood vials too. I found they are pretty plentiful depending on what area you are in. The income per enemy vs. difficulty is a bit swingy, but the right areas will load you down with 20K+ real fast.

Also, I beat the game. 29 hours, skipped two bosses and some chalice stuff. Heads up, there are multiple endings.

So, for very new people: You can get the other starting weapons within the first hour or two (depending on your speed), so don't stress too much.

For the more experienced:
    +10 weapon upgrades are very rare. Only found one, and it was tough to get.
    +9, OTOH, you should be able to get about three or so weapons per playthrough without too much stress.

Also, the art design in this game is fantastic. Might be some of the best in the history of video games, without exaggeration. Very clear aesthetic that intertwines with the storyline and gameplay mechanics, and the evolution of the world as the game goes on is one of the best, if not the best ever done, as it manages to simultaneously provide new areas while also keeping overarching themes.
    The slow descent from relatively normal to full out Lovecraft is beautifully handled. You go from villagers to wolfy villagers to werewolves to the gug sideways face werewolves, and see other similar transformations.

If you're browsing this thread and don't own this game, buy it. The art alone justifies it, and the gameplay itself is fantastic and a huge evolution (IMHO) over the Souls series, which were already very good.