As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

god freaking ЛAMN I love me some [Fashion]

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    alright peeps, I need coordinating opinions for my gray three piece:

light blue shirt+dark blue tie/bright blue tie?
    or
    light pink shirt+light purple tie/light red tie?

there is no option for white shirt

I am, of course, pro-white shirt

But in absence of that, I'm pro-pink

It suits you better, overall, and light blue shirts are so boring

I mean, I would like a white shirt but there is not an option to buy the shirt I want in white

Oh okay that makes sense then

Because grey suit, white shirt, purple tie?

That's a good combo right there

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    wait are we having another beerchat

I can do that on Saturday

...I can't tonight cause I'm on hiatus from drank and tomorrow I'm DD'ing at midnight

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

or

I can't really give the most educated opinion, but I think pink and purple have more style if you can rock them

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Beer chat? Thats optimising your god damn internet time.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    whoops wrong thread!

tynic on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I want a talented police sketch artist to draw what people on this forum assume other people look like.

pacams has been dead for so long.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I want a talented police sketch artist to draw what people on this forum assume other people look like.

pacams has been dead for so long.

It's probably better that way

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    crwth wants to destroy me

all the things i say about you are 100% true my friend

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    are 100% true
    my friend

:surprised:

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Checkmate.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    If you lot are tinychatting you better be doing it at something vaguely resembling a reasonable hour

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

or

I am, of course, pro-white shirt

But in absence of that, I'm pro-pink

It suits you better, overall, and light blue shirts are so boring

I mean, I would like a white shirt but there is not an option to buy the shirt I want in white

Oh okay that makes sense then

Because grey suit, white shirt, purple tie?

That's a good combo right there

problem solved, they do have white! my monitor settings at work are craaaaap

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I have a problem.

A fashion problem!

I got an oscar de la renta jacket at a thrift store for $5 and I really don't know what to do with it.

I'm just fashionable enough to know that I don't own anything that goes with it, but I'm too colorblind to know what does.

so, this is it. It's a tad short in the sleeves, but eeehhhh. It's also motivation to drop 20 lbs

1451413_10153137279013279_5350321885689503203_n.jpg?oh=3c5a6d8f59b2f206e21d558065009181&oe=55AF899D&__gda__=1437504652_02854c328ff65b8f4c6e6a1f43c43674

edit: those are just work pants, I'm pretty sure they do not match!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    are 100% true
    my friend

:)

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I'm posting in this thread for two reasons. First, because I have dick for fashion sense and about half that much money to fix my wardrobe. My wife and I were just talking about how she has a grown up wardrobe, and I have a couple pairs of khakis, jeans, and the shirts.

And second, because I know Liiya and tonic hang out here and I can't lurk the feminism thread anymore because it's closed.

Does anyone know of decent place to start learning? Or general tips for not looking like a slob on a Goodwill level budget?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Men's (assuming you're a fella, let me know if I'm wrong!) fashion defeats me somewhat, I can only really speak from thinking "that looks nice on a guy" or what I'd buy if I was a guy. I'd think of buying simple clothes that fit you well in colours that suit you, and that aren't fashionable but don't date, and you are able to mix up with your other stuff. You'll get a lot more mileage that way!

Also, I'd wait to buy something that is good quality, I wait for sales in places like H&M because thats my budget and their stuff literally lasts me for years.

@JebusUD is good with men's fashion, they may have tips!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm posting in this thread for two reasons. First, because I have dick for fashion sense and about half that much money to fix my wardrobe. My wife and I were just talking about how she has a grown up wardrobe, and I have a couple pairs of khakis, jeans, and the shirts.

And second, because I know Liiya and tonic hang out here and I can't lurk the feminism thread anymore because it's closed.

Does anyone know of decent place to start learning? Or general tips for not looking like a slob on a Goodwill level budget?

Effortless Gent has gotten a little ad heavy lately but he does have a lot of good basic articles.

Peen on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I tried eyebrow threading today because I had let them get a bit unruly, and went ahead and got my upper lip done, too. My brows look great, but it hurt like a son of a bitch. I thought threading was supposed to be less painful than waxing?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    @Xaquin if you're wanting to keep it formal, find some nice pants that match the jacket colour, grab a light blue shirt and maybe a darker brown tie and shoes. It's safe but generally looks nice.

If you want to go more casual, I reckon you could chuck on some darker blue fitting jeans, a cream or light tan shirt and maybe an optional tie (grey?). Shoes could stay dressy or casual but I think keep it a lighter colour.

Sorry, I'd try to find pictures of what I mean, but I'm on my phone.

• Options
    Oh and if you go casual, unbutton the bottom button.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular

It depends on what look you're going for and what you're comfortable wearing. That's really the first place to start. Do you know a couple people your age who dress nicely and look like "grownups" to you? Think about what the people around you are wearing, and how their outfits are put together.

Also, I second everything Liiya's said on quality.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I tried eyebrow threading today because I had let them get a bit unruly, and went ahead and got my upper lip done, too. My brows look great, but it hurt like a son of a bitch. I thought threading was supposed to be less painful than waxing?

No clue, anytime I've had hair pulled out of my face area it hurts like hell

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Fit fit fit. FIT. #1 protip to looking nice. Buy clothes that fit you. Liiya is also right about quality. Skip right past Walmart. Often times cheap clothes have terrible fit. Wait for nice clothes to be on sale, or buy for next season after one is done, sweaters are going to be cheap right now.

Lets do T shirts, since you mentioned them.

Lookin good.
    d4xdzu8t66bx.jpg

Looking like a slob
    ebi7aoqzrsqr.jpg

Now, the differences between each.

Bring your wife or a friend to the store and just try on different fits of shirts until you find one that looks nice. Yes even T shirts, at least until you have a feel for what is a good fit. The first shirt fits well, there isn't a big gap between the shirt and my pants or the shirt and my arms. The second one, there is a huge gap between both.

Avoid flat colors. It's sort of hard to see in this picture but, Notice the first shirt isn't a totally flat monotone blue/green (turquoise?). There is a bit of variation in the fabric. The second shirt is all a single green tone. (Try to ignore the shadows on the picture, that isn't what I mean, it is hard to convey it with my phone camera, but one is flat and the other one isn't)

Decals... just don't wear shirts with the iron on decals, as you can see on shirt 2. They look terrible always. as a rule, graphic tees are okay, but only if the graphic is actually on the shirt fabric, not on an iron on decal.

I'd avoid most graphic tees though. They tend to say youth. If you're looking for "grown up" that isn't the way to go. They can be okay if you layer, maybe have a sport coat over them.

Also, both are fine, but I think V necks look better than crew necks.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Major fashion tip of the day:

Reconsider wearing finely patterned black & white shirts if you're planning on appearing in any form of visual media...
    yhHWs2yl.jpg

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have a problem.

A fashion problem!

I got an oscar de la renta jacket at a thrift store for $5 and I really don't know what to do with it.

I'm just fashionable enough to know that I don't own anything that goes with it, but I'm too colorblind to know what does.

so, this is it. It's a tad short in the sleeves, but eeehhhh. It's also motivation to drop 20 lbs

1451413_10153137279013279_5350321885689503203_n.jpg?oh=3c5a6d8f59b2f206e21d558065009181&oe=55AF899D&__gda__=1437504652_02854c328ff65b8f4c6e6a1f43c43674

Sleeve length isn't bad, your shirt cuffs are supposed to stick out further than the jacket. Only do the top button. If anything, that pose makes it looks like the shoulders are a bit too broad for your frame, not that this is a suggestion to not try and 'drop 20lbs' just, maybe, remove the shoulder pads from it, if you do.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Uh don't you mean blue and gold

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Reconsider wearing finely patterned black & white shirts if you're planning on appearing in any form of visual media...
    yhHWs2yl.jpg

Yeah, you should probably take it off.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

yhHWs2yl.jpg

That's quite the visual media package you've got there, Vel.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Ordered a new dress today :D

You all look very sharp btw~

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You leave your shirt on mister! Don't let the internet pressure you!
    Also, I'll probably be shamed into going to the gym more if you take it off.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »

I've had my brows threaded and they were on fuckin point. Way better result than waxing or tweezing. But yes, it hurt like fuck. Waaaay more than waxing does!

I'm still in two minds about whether it was worth it or not. Trying to find somewhere to get my brows done in a new city too, it's a risky business.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

yhHWs2yl.jpg

I am always baffled when the local newscasters get on camera in houndstooth. Has no one ever told you, in all the years it took you to make the evening news desk, that you do not ever ever wear houndstooth on camera? On the other hand, rainbow swirls are usually more interesting than their "banter." haha

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

yhHWs2yl.jpg

If you tweak your right nipple it'll degauss your shirt

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I have a problem.

A fashion problem!

Sleeve length isn't bad, your shirt cuffs are supposed to stick out further than the jacket. Only do the top button. If anything, that pose makes it looks like the shoulders are a bit too broad for your frame, not that this is a suggestion to not try and 'drop 20lbs' just, maybe, remove the shoulder pads from it, if you do.

wait, really?

I've been rolling them up a bit because I thought it was the opposite =P

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I have a problem.

A fashion problem!

wait, really?

I've been rolling them up a bit because I thought it was the opposite =P

been watching too much Miami Vice, man

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I was doing a search for the proper fit of a suit and found the below image from RealMenRealStyle(stupid name)/

Spoilered for larged
    G2FWBc_11Parts-72.jpg

Nija on
    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    so looking at that, I guess my jacket is a bit small?

looks like I may have a bit of an X going on

Xaquin on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    so looking at that, I guess my jacket is a bit small?

looks like I may have a bit of an X going on

I think it's mostly from the pose, and having both buttons done.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

Fit fit fit. FIT. #1 protip to looking nice. Buy clothes that fit you. Liiya is also right about quality. Skip right past Walmart. Often times cheap clothes have terrible fit. Wait for nice clothes to be on sale, or buy for next season after one is done, sweaters are going to be cheap right now.

Lets do T shirts, since you mentioned them.

Bring your wife or a friend to the store and just try on different fits of shirts until you find one that looks nice. Yes even T shirts, at least until you have a feel for what is a good fit. The first shirt fits well, there isn't a big gap between the shirt and my pants or the shirt and my arms. The second one, there is a huge gap between both.

Avoid flat colors. It's sort of hard to see in this picture but, Notice the first shirt isn't a totally flat monotone blue/green (turquoise?). There is a bit of variation in the fabric. The second shirt is all a single green tone. (Try to ignore the shadows on the picture, that isn't what I mean, it is hard to convey it with my phone camera, but one is flat and the other one isn't)

Decals... just don't wear shirts with the iron on decals, as you can see on shirt 2. They look terrible always. as a rule, graphic tees are okay, but only if the graphic is actually on the shirt fabric, not on an iron on decal.

I'd avoid most graphic tees though. They tend to say youth. If you're looking for "grown up" that isn't the way to go. They can be okay if you layer, maybe have a sport coat over them.

Also, both are fine, but I think V necks look better than crew necks.

Totally agree - fitted graphic tees can be a good look for casual things like barbecues, concerts, casual get-togethers and such, but they really only work as a "look" if you've coordinated your other layers and elements really well.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    are 100% true
    my friend

:)

:?

This discussion has been closed.