As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam: It's really steamy!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I backed Project Eternity, sight unseen, when it was a kickstarter. At that point I basically blocked myself off from the game. I don't know shit about it. Not a thing. I ignored it so completely I missed my opportunity to get my name put in the credits (but I'll get the DLC when it lands)

And I will similarly experience this game in a vacuum, talking to no one about it as I play

But

Holy shit I booted up the character creator and it is awesome, oh man, the god-like have elemental alignments and then you can pick out your race and there's a culture tab I haven't even looked at

Oh man this is giving me the vapors

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I feel slightly bad having backed Torment after finding out what a turd Monte Cook is.

But... At least that was BEFORE I knew it?

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    payday's new grenade launcher makes a satisfying thoomp

not a really satisfying thoomp, but it's alright

I would also test the fire stuff but whoops I ran out of money

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    So, Pillars of Eternity worth picking up at full price for a guy in need of a new rpg to play?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you don't even need to pay full price, you can get it for $33

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Daypigeon wrote: »

The fire effects look pretty alright imo. Dunno how great a weapon the flamthrower is, a buddy was wielding it, but it did a pretty decent job on a tight map like hoxvenge. It insta-solves any shield issues.

The mask achis seemed not to be that big of a challenge, and the masks were alright. I'm kinda on the fence about the chef hat though, it is funny, but I'm of the opinion that showing characters' faces are a little out of place in the Payday setting... :<

Panda4You on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

The fire effects look pretty alright imo. Dunno how great a weapon the flamthrower is, a buddy was wielding it, but it did a pretty decent job on a tight map like hoxvenge. It insta-solves any shield issues.

The mask achis seemed not to be that big of a challenge, and the masks were alright. I'm kinda on the fence about the chef hat though, it is funny, but I'm of the opinion that showing characters' faces are a little out of place in the Payday setting... :<

use the chef hat as hoxton only

he's already been arrested, he's tied his hair back, and his face is horribly burned. Totally fine!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh, and I'm a bit qurious as to why molotovs are choosable when you don't have the DLC? I'm assuming it's a bug/oversight, all it does is making you unable to throw anything. The molotov should have been locked away like dlc mods are.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

I mean, at this point it's just showing solidarity with Hox really. They already know his face, DNA, fingerprints, poop type, blood type, some other slightly jokey things I can't be bothered thinking of, etc.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think since I have the next week off I'm gonna burn through my current game and get a new one. which leaves me with the choice of

divinity original sin
    homeworld
    pillars of eternity

that is quite a decision, but it's probably going to be pillars since it's cheaper right now

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I think since I have the next week off I'm gonna burn through my current game and get a new one. which leaves me with the choice of

divinity original sin
    homeworld
    pillars of eternity

that is quite a decision, but it's probably going to be pillars since it's cheaper right now

Divinity has a fun combat system but I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about the story

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

divinity original sin
    homeworld
    pillars of eternity

Divinity has a fun combat system but I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about the story

The inventiveness of the combat got me gleefully through the first 30 hours, and I loved every minute, and then I ran out of steam. If the writing had been more engaging, I might've seen it through, but fun combat can only hook me so long, yeah

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    yeah I'm at the last maybe quarter of the game

and I want to finish it but I keep taking giant breaks between play sessions and forgetting what the hell I'm supposed to be doing

Brolo on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

It makes me wish people would start playing Killing Floor again

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

divinity original sin
    homeworld
    pillars of eternity

The inventiveness of the combat got me gleefully through the first 30 hours, and I loved every minute, and then I ran out of steam. If the writing had been more engaging, I might've seen it through, but fun combat can only hook me so long, yeah

It's, like, the exact opposite problem I had with their previous game: Dragon Commander.

I loved the story bits in that and just used Cheat Engine to get the gameplay portions out of the way.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So endless legends seems cool.

Finally think I might be able to get into it.

Started a game as wild walkers again. But it stared me next to another empires territory. That kind of scares me. Also I lost some archers to some damn snakes trying to pacify this village in my territory...

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Back into payday and man another update

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    When I was looking through all the Pillars of Eternity races and got to the Godlike one, I got legitimately creeped out. No idea why, but those things on their faces just make my skin crawl.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    When I was looking through all the Pillars of Eternity races and got to the Godlike one, I got legitimately creeped out. No idea why, but those things on their faces just make my skin crawl.

I think only the death godlike have stuff on their faces

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Honestly, you could've turned Dragon Commander into a visual novel/kingdom simulator and you wouldn't have lost anything.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Despite all the weird names, character creation in Pillars of Eternity is fascinating

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So Pillars of Eternity is getting great reviews but what do you all think?

• Options
    It is indeed a modernized infinity engine game (unless you choose Expert Mode which takes away some of the new convenience features like AoE markers)

The maps are beautiful

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    So Pillars of Eternity is getting great reviews but what do you all think?

The thing is, the reviews I read all talk about BG2, Torment etc etc - those are all games I've never played, so I don't have the frame of reference they seem to have, which...renders the reviews useless to me. I still don't know what to think about Pillars

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Have you played Dragon Age

It's a lot like that, but in a 2D perspective where you control your party like in an RTS (or a MOBA if you will, if you had multiple heroes)

It also heavily borrows from pen & paper roleplaying games, both in the way the story is told and in the mechanics - if you dislike numbers, this might not be a game for you!

Platy on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ok yeah I'm getting this game.

I've played Dragon Age/Baulder's Gate etc but quite frankly I value the opinion of forumers here over a games website.

Well expect Giant Bomb. You're on equal pegging with them.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    For the record, Caribbean Pirate means you don't pick up the intel?, the cash, or the meth until AFTER you start shooting people, with >3 bags brought.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Huh, that's a strange condition to make an achi out of... Why does it not acknowledge the standard procedure of "deliver meth->pick up intel->steal meth"?
    Thanks for the headsup though, Rats is kind of a superfluous heist now that cookoff has better payout and xp reward...

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Godlikes cannot reproduce and that's the reason why marriage is difficult for godlike in many areas because most societies consider marriage to exist for the purpose of raising children. In the Vailian Republics, godlike are legally considered to be without sex or gender regardless of how they appear or self-identify. Legal constructs that explicitly name (favorably or unfavorably) sexes or genders can cause problems for them.

Neat, they thought of that

• Options
    Have you played Dragon Age

It's a lot like that, but in a 2D perspective where you control your party like in an RTS (or a MOBA if you will, if you had multiple heroes)

It also heavily borrows from pen & paper roleplaying games, both in the way the story is told and in the mechanics - if you dislike numbers, this might not be a game for you!

Haven't played DA either, no. That's a game I get close to buying every sale, but the generic-looking fantasy setting is what turns me off just enough to not get it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Knights of the Old Republic, maybe?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You might not like Pillars of Eternity either then

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Knights of the Old Republic, maybe?

Yes! Loved it.

Hmm

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Knights of the Old Republic is probably the most comparable thing you've played mechanically I would guess

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i've only done the character creation for PoE so far, but I really dig their style.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

Hmm

I mean, I would in no way describe the PoE world as a generic fantasy setting, but like Dragon Age it has elves and dwarves and ancient ruins and stuff

But it also feels surprisingly fresh in other ways

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Now it's winter in my endless legend game. I did make it to research era 2 though.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Forget what I said about Titanfall.

non-frontier-defense MP seems to be the smart-pistol-and-nuke-titan game.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    just shoot them during the second and a half they are waiting for a lock on

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Nukes are fairly easy to avoid unless you get caught up against a wall or between two titans - just gotta get used to 'oh that noise immediately move in the opposite direction'.

Smart pistols are trickier, but they have to get in pretty close to use em; if they sneak up on you yeah you're boned, but that's true for most other guns anyway.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.