As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    we decided on the first venue we looked at cause I mean, it meets all the criteria

there's even a 30% chance there will be a braying donkey!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do a combo wedding/nativity play

Sure to be a crowd pleaser

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    we're having a non-religious ceremony, thank you very much

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Marzipan Jesus baby, eat it ceremoniously during your vows.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

See, I assumed one of them would play the part of the baby Jesus.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

See, I assumed one of them would play the part of the baby Jesus.

Non-religious, not cannibalistic, jeez.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Ring got! Oh god what do I do now oh shit oh shit.
    Y1blKCY.jpeg
    (Seriously I'm coming up blank on proposal plans that are even remotely original)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Y1blKCY.jpeg
    (Seriously I'm coming up blank on proposal plans that are even remotely original)

Take her out to a really romantic dinner.

Forget the ring at home.

Panic

Take her home, search frantically for the ring

Find it right as she walks in to see what you're doing

Panic more and throw the ring at her

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Y1blKCY.jpeg
    Man just be honest. If you don't want to do anything super fancy, that's cool.

People don't get married due to originality. People get married because they want to.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Blake's proposal was super adorable and sweet and A+ would engage again if you'd like to borrow it!

I didn't stop to think about whether it was original or not because I really just liked that he did it in a way that was meaningful and super adorable and see above.

And not in public or in front of other people, cuz seriously, I would've HATED that and made sure he knew it.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Wait until she falls asleep, slip the ring on her finger, then go around changing every device with a calendar one year into the future. Convince her that you've been engaged for a year and even get family and friends in on it.

Then after awhile (couple days) reveal your ruse but reason that it felt right and let's make it official.

Cant beat the classic Time-Travelling Bride-to-be Proposal

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Go to the zoo, propose during a quiet moment in front of her favourite animal.

Bake the ring into a cupcake. Eat it. Start to choke. When she gives you the Heimlich manoeuvre, produce the ring and say something about how she saved your life, and can now give it meaning by saying yes.

Tell her that you bought that camera from the Goosebumps book which predicts the future. Take a photo of her hand, show her a photo you took earlier of a hand with that ring on it. Then propose, and when she's said yes show her a picture of you looking happy.

Show her this thread, ask her which one she would prefer.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Show her this thread, ask her which one she would prefer.

That's risky; there are some really good people on here. I certainly would not have wanted to give my wife any ideas.

As for proposals, I would do something simple. Go somewhere that's meaningful to you and ask her. People always want to have these great proposal stories but the important part is the "Yes."
    The moments will happen naturally, like my then fiancé flipping the ring box closed.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Start the proposal with "As Beyonce once said..."

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Dang that is a nice ring!

• Options
    No, those aren't the lyrics

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    G
    Tell her that you bought that camera from the Goosebumps book which predicts the future. Take a photo of her hand, show her a photo you took earlier of a hand with that ring on it. Then propose, and when she's said yes show her a picture of you looking happy.

Wait, the one where every picture was of something horrible happening? I'd recommend against that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    G

Wait, the one where every picture was of something horrible happening? I'd recommend against that.

IT WAS FIXED THROUGH THE LOVE THAT RAINFALL HAS FOR HER

STOP OVERTHINKING IT

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Put the ring on your dick.

And before you be all, "That's a bad idea Blake." let me remind you all that rainfall was going to propose to random people on the street.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    You all are giving me a lot of great advice. I'm running everything by the future husband. I know I want to try my hand at a few DIY things.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    I'm engaged! Everything went perfectly, I took her out to an awesome fondue place, proposed, she kept me on the hook for like a fucking minute while I freaked the hell out, then we grabbed a limo back home and WOO FUCKING SHIT YEAH.

I'm not great at commitments or keeping secrets so finding out it was a complete surprise and bringing myself to pop the question is a pretty huge personal victory.

Big thanks to this forum because we never would have got together without the sagacious advice of the New Years thread telling me to get my ass out the door and stop whining about my prior breakup.

WOO! !!

• Options
    Thanks Ahava, that awesome means a bunch coming from you. <3

• Options
    So, you put the ring on your dick?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thanks Ahava, that awesome means a bunch coming from you. <3

We've had our differences. but they're super in the past. And it is an amazing thing to see you as happy as you are right now. I wish you nothing but the best and I have high hopes. Plus, I get to hear all about the wedding planning now, which is delightful! Super congratulations, Rainy.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    So, you put the ring on your dick?

At a fondue place? I hope not!

• Options
    Last day at work before the wedding, so I've come in to a desk covered in balloons, "Congratulations" banners and star confetti

Which is now clogging my keyboard and going up my cuffs

Still, a nice sentiment

• Options
    Ring materials question.

Hers is gonna be platinum. I've got three options for mine: Titanium, Zirconium, and Cobalt/Chrome. I'm leaning away from the first, as even though it's the cheaper option, it just feels kind of generic for men's jewelry nowadays.

As for Zirconium, I'm seeing a lot of jewelry where it's basically a black metal? Which is interesting, just not sure if that's the case. Cobalt/Chrome tends to look more like a precious metal (because chrome). If zirconium is basically black metal then I'll probably go Cobalt/Chrome, but does anybody know if Zirconium comes in other colors?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Ring materials question.

Hers is gonna be platinum. I've got three options for mine: Titanium, Zirconium, and Cobalt/Chrome. I'm leaning away from the first, as even though it's the cheaper option, it just feels kind of generic for men's jewelry nowadays.

As for Zirconium, I'm seeing a lot of jewelry where it's basically a black metal? Which is interesting, just not sure if that's the case. Cobalt/Chrome tends to look more like a precious metal (because chrome). If zirconium is basically black metal then I'll probably go Cobalt/Chrome, but does anybody know if Zirconium comes in other colors?

have you considered Palladium?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    have you considered kryptonite so you can finally punch that INSUFFERABLE SUPERMAN

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Go with Meteorite.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    The ring we want is only available in those metals. Hence why I only have those three options for mine.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Titanium is popular for a reason - it's durable, tough, and light, moreso than most other options that are more than thrice the price.

Zirconium isn't "black" so much as it is "dark", so when you polish it to high luster it looks practically black. There might be lighter colours of zirconium out there (maybe alloys?), but I suspect that by and large it's going to be darker by definition rather than by design.

Cobalt Chrome is heavier than titanium but it polishes to a brilliant shine that's much brighter than titanium.

So basically:
    - titanium if you want an inexpensive and highly durable but not super shiny
    - zirconium for super shiny but usually much darker
    - cobalt chome for super shiny with slightly higher weight and cost than titanium

• Options
    Go with Meteorite.

Meteorite only works as an inlay for wedding rings; the ring itself would still need to be made out of something else (to provide shape/structure/durability), otherwise the whole thing will fall apart pretty quickly.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    one thing we found out about looking at titanium is that it can't be resized. so if you're thinking that your fingers may change drastically (weight loss/gain) then that might not be a good option. I'm not sure how the other 2 metals behave as far as resizing/reshaping

• Options
    I'm never actually sure about whether rings that say they have meteorite actually have it in them.

It's the wagyu beef of ring material.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    There's actually a bunch of meteorite out there, it turns out; one place uses this one and this one -- the Gibeon one sounds like there's plenty of it to go around (for rings, at least).

One thing I hadn't realised until just now is that because meteorites are iron-based, they're not as inert as gold/silver/titanium, so you can potentially mess it up if you get strong acid/alkali on there.

• Options
    Yeah my understanding is that "meteorite" is just a fancy name for "iron/nickel/maybe some cobalt or something? oh and regular ol' rock." Because that's what most actual meteors are made of.

It's like chocolate diamonds.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Really though isn't the Earth just a successful meteorite?

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Go with Meteorite.

Me and wifey have meteorite inlaid wedding rings and they are the business. We got ours from this dude, how could you not want something made by a man with a moustache of such beauty. One thing of note is what lonelyahava brought up, once they're made they're made. So make sure you order the right size, unlike chump-face over here who has an ever so slightly loose wedding ring...

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    ooh I like those ones with wood.