As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Captain American Revolution

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. It only looks good in that third picture.

Lux on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i think like, its a black skinsuit and then the red and blue part is like, a peice of armor/shoulderpad he puts on top? maybe?

PantheraOnca on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm calling it right now, everybody.

Clint Barton.

It is a combination of the Ronin costume and the Captain America costume, hence the black parts and the sword.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There should be more armoured parts for the legs and crouch (not that they need to be painted) it just looks wierd that his entire upper body seems to be so unprotected (even though its prob Stark super nano suit).

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    It's a really strange look. In anything other than bright light, he's going to look like a floating chrome bust of Captain America.

capbust.jpg

DMAC on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm kinda digging this costume.
    Though I hate the idea of Cap using a gun and sword.

Zombot on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    I'm kinda digging this costume.
    Though I hate the idea of Cap using a gun and sword.
    Knife.

Also, if it's Bucky, which it probably is, the weaponry really makes sense.

Even excluding his current history as The Winter Soldier Bucky did dirtier things in WWII than Cap did. They needed some guards of a camp taken out silently in the night? Bucky. Covert Ops assassination mission? Bucky.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited October 2007
    It does make sense that Bucky would use a knife and gun however, the idea of Captain America using those weapons does not sit well with me.

I always liked the idea that Cap was a defender, hence why a shield was his only weapon.

Zombot on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always been pretty certain that Cap killed Nazis back in WWII. I mean, not a whole lot of arresting going on in a battlefield. Really my only complaint is the gun looks pretty damn weak in a superhuman world; in WWII shots we've seen him with submachine guns and such, why not give him one of those?

The costume looks about as good as Iron Spider - nice look for a temp outfit, but it's no replacement for the original.

Scooter on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh there is no way Cap didn't kill anyone in WWII.

He was a soldier, and soldiers have to kill to survive.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh gawd.

Those second and third pics..

He looks like the Punisher put on some shitty novelty poncho/hoodie.

Incenjucar on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll check out the Bucky work, thanks for the tip!

As for killing: I am pretty sure Cap has talked about that, in some of the earlier Captain America novels. I think he said pretty much the same thing: I was a soldier, and it was war.

But, he always seemed to draw a tight line between his current role & that of his role as a soldier in the War...

So, the idea of Captain America killing enemies now, seems to me anathema. After all--isn't that what the Scourge did? Isn't that why he was the "wise mentor" of Nomad & Monroe as Bucky--he held them back, checked their more violent impulses.

That was also the big point of US Agent vs Captain America--Cap was pretty clear that US Agent could never actually be Captain America with his attitude to killing. We can all agree that US did something pretty understandable (killing the dogs who killed his mother & father)--but it's still not Captain America's way...

Ultimately, I think I'm against the whole idea of super heros killing--it seems like with their power, with their status, they should always try to avoid killing. It's a big choice to make for someone else (death). But, I'm okay with killing in a culture where it's accepted--Kurosawa films--I think no less of the samurai in those movies who certainly kill many, but that's because it's part of their way of life...

hmm, I think that sums up my thoughts on all of it, thanks for the note on Bucky, I'll check it out!

streever on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Of course, if Cap is going to fight alongside troops again, then a gun would be wholly warranted.

Ditto if he's acting in an anti-terrorist capacity, though I suppose he already was considering his rogues gallery of terrorist organizations.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If this gets us a Cap art meme, or a Project Rooftop theme or something, it will lessen the terrible-ness of this.

I have no problem with Cap carrying and using lethal weapons. I am not saying he should be the Punisher or anything, but a hero needs to know when to draw the line. He did cut Baron Blood's head off once. I don't want to turn this into a debate about superhero/vigilante morality, so I am going to drop it.

I was really hoping for a Black Captain America. Oh well.

I'm really thinking it is Bucky in the suit. Frank did give him the Captain America costume, or at least the replica thing Hate Monger made him wear.

DouglasDanger on
    edited October 2007
    Of course Cap killed.
    However, he still held the image of a defender because he wasn't outfitted with a gun.
    This changes all that.
    I get an Ultimate vibe from it.

Zombot on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Alex Ross can't design costumes for shit

i really liked his wolverine....

...even though, he was wearing a damned onesie.

in fact i liked most of his x-men ones. i prefer them without the cloaks, though.

I dig his batwoman as well, but may be biased due to those kickin' curves.

this chrome-america looks like ass though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I quite like it, I have to say. I've a small issue with the gun, but I recognise that it's not like Cap hasn't used one before, heck he start out with one before getting the round shield.

Wildcat on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i think like, its a black skinsuit and then the red and blue part is like, a peice of armor/shoulderpad he puts on top? maybe?

Yeah, I think you're right. In which case the rest of the costume being black and the armor being brightly coloured makes sense. It means the protected area is the one that draws enemy fire. Bit like Punisher and his big white skull on his heavily armored chest drawing gunshots away from his unprotected head.

Not that I'm suggesting for a second that it's Frank Castle under the mask. Think Htown could be on to something with the Barton theory though.

Truthfully, I don't care what marketing spin Marvel go for with this, and I'll probably ignore the hype machine. I quite like Alex Ross' art, and as long as Brubaker writes the story I will keep reading.

Desktop Hippie on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From a story perspective it just doesn't make that much sense to make Barton Cap. Bucky was the one who idolized Cap so it just makes more sense for him to take on the mantle. The only things that seemed to be keeping him from it in the past were his maturity and the fact that there already was a Cap and Bucky was destined to remain in his shadow. Neither of those are obstacles anymore so it just seems to make sense for Bucky to move into the roll -- whether Stark wants it or not.

Also, I think people want to see Clint pick up the Hawkeye mantle again - not the Cap mantle.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited October 2007
    Except there's another Hawkeye now. She's in a comic that won't be out again 'till 2008, but she's still Hawkeye. Cap said so and everything.

I agree that Bucky becoming Cap seems much more in line with Brubaker's story though.

Desktop Hippie on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Except there's another Hawkeye now. She's in a comic that won't be out again 'till 2008, but she's still Hawkeye. Cap said so and everything.

I agree that Bucky becoming Cap seems much more in line with Brubaker's story though.

I rich little girl in purple as part of a book that isn't even being published does not a Hawkeye make. Now stop being so silly.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dont know what this business about Cap hating guns is about, he's a soldier, he uses guns.

He's not the punisher and doesn't kill indiscriminantly, but he dosen't "hate guns."

Eitherway this is almost certainly not Steve Rogers, I have no doubt he will be back but not this soon.

Bucky makes the most sense, while I would have liked to see Clint in the role I would agree that he wouldn't use guns.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I rich little girl in purple as part of a book that isn't even being published does not a Hawkeye make. Now stop being so silly.

Man Hawkeye said she was Hawkeye now.

Transporter on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wildcat on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I dont know what this business about Cap hating guns is about, he's a soldier, he uses guns.

yeah, i was wondering if i was the only person being thrown off by "the soldier won't use guns" argument.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited October 2007
    Brubaker is pretty strongly suggesting that the gun won't be used to shoot people in the head, for what that's worth.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am about 90% sure it is Bucky.

DouglasDanger on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Brubaker is pretty strongly suggesting that the gun won't be used to shoot people in the head, for what that's worth.

Shooting kneecaps?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i don't really care what he looks like as long as brubaker is writing it.

Angry on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Angry wrote: »

You know, I can understand saying this about a book, where you can (to a certain extent) mold a character's appearance to your imagination, but I cannot understand it for a comic book. The whole point is the words and the pictures. If the art sucks, or a character's design sucks, that can put me off a comic just as much as when the writing sucks.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

You know, I can understand saying this about a book, where you can (to a certain extent) mold a character's appearance to your imagination, but I cannot understand it for a comic book. The whole point is the words and the pictures. If the art sucks, or a character's design sucks, that can put me off a comic just as much as when the writing sucks.

well, i don't believe it will be steve in the costume, so my attachment to the cap costume doesn't really come into play. that and i don't hate the costume. if it were covered in purple and pink hearts with rainbows then obviously my like for brubakers writing would be put under some serious strain.

Angry on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Did anyone read the Chosen One mini-series? The title seems like it points to a successor, but nobody's mentioned it so I'm guessing it's irrelevant.

While it would be entirely plausible and a bit awesome, the Chosen One mini is in Marvel Knights, meaning it's not set in regular continuity.

Darklyre on
    edited October 2007
    if it were covered in purple and pink hearts with rainbows then obviously my like for brubakers writing would be put under some serious strain.

It's kinda just hit me that I would still read that if Brubaker were writing it.

Desktop Hippie on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That Newsarama interview has Bru saying that the costume won't be nearly as "shiny" as Ross' art shows it. Hopefully Epting can salvage that hidious design.

KVW on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    That Newsarama interview has Bru saying that the costume won't be nearly as "shiny" as Ross' art shows it. Hopefully Epting can salvage that hidious design.

Shiny aside, who here thinks the suit might be the Captain America version of the Iron Spider? After all, the interview states more or less that it's supposed to be a modern-day step up from the chain-mail. That and it's not the first time Tony Stark has tinkered with the costume.

Owenashi on
    edited October 2007
    Except it's impossible for any Stark designed costume to have less than 15 gadgets. It's some kind of rule.

SHE IS TOO HAWKEYE CAP SAID SO YOU'RE MEAN SHUT UP!!!

Desktop Hippie on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The new costume looks like crap. It lacks imagination.
    And I am not saying this as some huge Cap fan (altho I curse the fact I dont have the monies for the Capitan America omnibus). It looks like Cap is in a middle of changing into his costume, which is hidden underneath his black leotard.
    Yes. I am outraged.

muninn on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    When I saw the Ross version in the OP, I was really put off by the flag-themed leotard over black tights, but the Epting design is a whole lot better, and I'm probably going to jump onboard with this book next year when this happens.

I apologize for not reading it already, but I won't be at work again until January, so, you know.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    The new costume looks like crap. It lacks imagination.
    And I am not saying this as some huge Cap fan (altho I curse the fact I dont have the monies for the Capitan America omnibus). It looks like Cap is in a middle of changing into his costume, which is hidden underneath his black leotard.
    Yes. I am outraged.

Lacks imagination? What are you talking about? Ross is completely original and imaginative. Look at all his covers. He has at least 3 poses. Guy standing up looking down (add people in background for dramatic effect), Group standing in a line (not to be confused with guy looking down with people behind him) and group flying across cover.

Add in his highly original and unique concept designs, like this one here (which looks nothing like the newer Cap design) and I can't see where this unfounded unimaginative claim came from. /sarcasm

250pxcitizensteelio8.jpg

Shiny suit is shiny.

KVW on