As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I loved the physics in Unreal Championship 2. Especially how they played with the jumps. Jumping, and then double jumping off into a direction was a good technique but it was really great when you would shoot while doing so. As in, jumping off of a ledge, double jumping again into a roll to the left as you launch three rockets into someone else's face. :^:

Probably not really true to real UT though.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also whoever said all the characters look the same, well that's because there is only one character model in the demo. So yeah.

Drool on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    Also whoever said all the characters look the same, well that's because there is only one character model in the demo. So yeah.

I dunno why, but I laughed as I read this. :lol:

Also, in the options menu, I was pleasantly suprised to see 'Customize Character' as an option. Of course, it's not in the demo, but I didn't know it was there period.

Kami on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah it looks like it could be a cool feature depending on what kind of customization you can do. I dunno from just playing the demo it's pretty much what I expected in a new UT game. The same gameplay/weapon balance that has kicked so much ass for years, made a little tighter, with beautiful graphics. I really wish they would have included Onslaught mode in the demo though. That was my favorite mode and I look forward to playing it again.

Vehicle CTF is fun, but capturing and holding points is more fun.

edit: I just watched this video over at Gamespot. Apparently it's not Onslaught anymore it's Warefare. Whatever I still want to play it. But one thing they said sounds very cool. The single player campaign is co-op. That should be fun times.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    God dammit, this is going to take forever to download. D:

This was the game that made me want to upgrade my whole computer. I already have a 5.1 surround sound system, 17" monitor, Razer Copperhead mouse, E6400 which soon I shall OC, and 2 gigs of DDR2 ram. When it releases, I hope to get a new 8800GTS OC2 from BFG. :^:

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    I hope to get a new 8800GTS OC2 from BFG. :^:

Good choice. It's like buttah.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    I hope to get a new 8800GTS OC2 from BFG. :^:

Good choice. It's like buttah.

Do you have the OC, or OC2? Gotta love BFG though. True Lifetime warranty and 24/7 tech support. Perfect.

I have no idea how I will pay for it though, but I want it.

EDIT: Ho shit! It comes with it's own power cable too!? FUCKING SOLD!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143092

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Actually I have the 880GTS320 OC2, still a good card though. I haven't had to use the lifetime warranty, but it's good to know it's there.

Drool on
  • LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Somebody needs to tell Tim Sweeney to make a ZZT sequel

Er

Another one, since Super ZZT was a sequel, I guess

From an E-Mail interview done on July 15:

Elig: Lastly, and this is practically not even a fair question, but it's funny none the less. Any plans on a sort of ZZT 2?

Mr. Sweeney: I've always wanted to build a massive-multiplayer version of ZZT. In other words, a vast interlinked game world built and extended by users using simple ZZT-like tools. Like ZZT, it would be open-ended and community-driven. Players would be able to build their own levels and write scripts for objects, as well as play the game as a character, build up attributes and collect items.

Such a project would tackle all the key technical problems of MMO development without the complexity of a 3D environment. The data required for levels and motion data is also so simple that servers could be run by the community without significant bandwidth expense.

Alas, such a game wouldn't be much of a Gears of War killer. :-) So don't expect it to actually happen. But it would be interesting!

-Tim

For the rest of the interview, look here.

Also yes I realize I am four pages late.

Logicow on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    After playing the demo here's some of my thoughts

Pros:

Weapons are much stronger, and it is easier to kill vehicles without an AVRIL

Physics seem more solid for players and more smooth for vehicles. Definite improvement from 2k4

Hoverboard!

Feign death is funny and useful if used well

Helper arrows in the large map

Runs well on my mid-level system while still looking decent

Hoverboard

Bots are a good challenge and for the most part play like people

Cons:

WAY too much "grit" in the art style, but that's my opinion. It's like Gears but times 9000, I mean the character's legs are even covered in dry mud for cripes sake.

Environments seem a bit dull because of aforementioned grititude

Most demo servers suck ass (likely not the game's fault) in terms of latency

Server browser is bugged, shows full servers with no name/ping for some reason

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2007
    I see your complaints, and while the art style is different it's definitely growing on me. The maps have more rundown broken streets/buildings and stuff, but they are incredibly detailed. The lighting effects are pretty awesome too. I was impressed by the big neon lady.

Drool on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah so playing online is a chore right now for a few reasons:
    1. No one has a dedicated server up yet from what I have seen. Its nothing but player hosted servers that run like shit.

2. Its only been out since, what... early Friday night? Soon enough we should get some servers going that dont suck.

Also I can't seem to host a game with out it being unjoinable.
    My buddy can't host a game with out it not showing up in the server list.

Also: The fact that I have to go all the way back to the Messages page in the main interface just to view messages is super annoying. "Soandso sent you a message!" Well thats nice, but im in a game right now... or browsing for servers... Whats the point of showing me that a player has Voice ability if I can't start a voice chat with them unless im in a game with them? Why is it when I view a message sent to me that I have to go back to my friends list to reply? It would be much easier to put a reply button some where on the screen when im viewing there message.

Other then that, the game is great. But it just feels like the friends list and the messaging system is really, really, really underdeveloped.

Paradox Control on
    \
    edited October 2007
    Hooooooooly shit, man! I just played one round, round one... and it was so fucking awesome. Not knowing where anything is, just shooting shit up against bots with bots... I gotta tell ya guys, it is incredible... and the game is running at 60fps on my system as it is. I may have to crank up the graphics to slow it down! This is definitely a must have.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah so playing online is a chore right now for a few reasons:
    1. No one has a dedicated server up yet from what I have seen. Its nothing but player hosted servers that run like shit.

2. Its only been out since, what... early Friday night? Soon enough we should get some servers going that dont suck.

Also I can't seem to host a game with out it being unjoinable.
    My buddy can't host a game with out it not showing up in the server list.

Also: The fact that I have to go all the way back to the Messages page in the main interface just to view messages is super annoying. "Soandso sent you a message!" Well thats nice, but im in a game right now... or browsing for servers... Whats the point of showing me that a player has Voice ability if I can't start a voice chat with them unless im in a game with them? Why is it when I view a message sent to me that I have to go back to my friends list to reply? It would be much easier to put a reply button some where on the screen when im viewing there message.

Other then that, the game is great. But it just feels like the friends list and the messaging system is really, really, really underdeveloped.

Yeah I pretty megaloath Gamespy. I wish Epic would just have released it on Steam, and used all of Valves new awesome for matchmaking.

Drool on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?

OGODTHEBLURRIES.jpg

Using a X800, that's good enough rite :V. Gawd I need to upgrade.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited October 2007
    If Epic and Steam combined forces the new name would be so perfectly fitting that the universe would explode.
    Epic Steam

BlueDestiny on
    edited October 2007
    Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?
    OGODTHEBLURRIES.jpg
    Using a X800, that's good enough rite :V. Gawd I need to upgrade.

Try going to settings>grapchis>advanced and changing screen size to 100%

BlueDestiny on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't know what is up with this game, but I did not believe that it was running at 60fps on my rig. I swore up and down that it looked like it was running around 40. But I turned on Fraps and, sure enough, it was running at 60 almost constantly (dipping to like 50 on rare occasions). Either something about this game is making my visual perception screwy or my eyes have just gone completely fucked. Kudos for Epic for putting out a smooth-running game.

The tripod thing is pretty neat, but there's no way in hell it belongs in a DM maps, cripes.

Zxerol on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah it's very smooth. It runs and looks way better than the Crysis beta that's for sure. I don't mind the war of the worlds thing so much. It definitely adds some flavor to an otherwise standard deathmatch map. Anything to pump fresh gameplay into deathmatch is a good thing IMO.

Drool on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait so is this as good at it gets graphics wise? Or did they skimp on the more high end stuff for purposes of file size?....or what?

Ant000 on
    edited October 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Wait so is this as good at it gets graphics wise? Or did they skimp on the more high end stuff for purposes of file size?....or what?

I'm sure that since this is just a demo/beta, Epic will be able to optimize everything a bit more before launch. I expect it to look more 'refined' upon release, but the overall ambience should stay roughly the same.

Kami on
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I cranked up the graphics and resolution to modest settings. My CPU and my graphics cards are my bottle necks though. 100% CPU usage and about 40-50fps on 1024,768 with 5's as the world and texture levels. Not bad...

I still cannot connect to any online game though. >_>

Lucky Cynic on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe it's because I'm so used to it, but man did I prefer the physics and motion from 2K4. Jumping feels so... short, now.

Brolo on
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I connected to an online game. Wow. Just wow. The lag was nuts. I mean, you'd think that person was right in front of your, but he actually killed you and 2 others from your team about 10 seconds ago once the server lag sorts out. Shooting was also a crap shoot.

OTOH, the flak cannon proved most useful. XD

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Just play with bots. They're about as good and twice as helpful as humans anyways :lol:

BlueDestiny on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2007
    We played it today, and we promptly switched back to 2004. It's faster paced...
    Ant000 wrote: »

It's barely 800 mb. What do you think?

Dareth Ram on
    edited October 2007
    It's been a while since I played 2k4, but the pace feels just as frantic. It's just not as much about dodging as it is getting in there and blasting people. The weapons do more damage so each hit counts more which I like.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    Well fuck, now the demo won't even start. It'll always perform an illegal operation. I was playing it just fine not but two hours ago, too.

/anger

Kami on
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not really sure how I feel about the art style. On the one hand it's absolutely gorgeous and I really like how detailed everything is, but on the other I actually found it kind of distracting. I guess that will stop being an issue after playing more and getting used to the hyper-detailed style, but I personally found it almost overwhelming going from TF2 to this.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's a really nice change. Feels much heavier, more gears of course, which is cool, and i certianly like it better than 2k4 overall...it just feels good to murder people and jump around. I was kind of impressed by this, and I honestly wasn't anticipating it at all. Good job demo, you did your job and sold me a game.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm so used to it, but man did I prefer the physics and motion from 2K4. Jumping feels so... short, now.

I have to agree with you there. I'm holding off full judgment because I know for a certainty that my Pentium D-920 is holding me back. Time for that C2D upgrade.

Viscountalpha on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fodder wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how I feel about the art style. On the one hand it's absolutely gorgeous and I really like how detailed everything is, but on the other I actually found it kind of distracting. I guess that will stop being an issue after playing more and getting used to the hyper-detailed style, but I personally found it almost overwhelming going from TF2 to this.

Well remember, the game ships with 40 maps. Seriously. The demo only showed us three. I doubt every map is going to look so washed out. Personally, I want to see the UT3 version of that moon map. I can never remember the name, but it's two large pyramid-like forts on the moon with the Earth in the background. That was my favorite map.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Well remember, the game ships with 40 maps. Seriously. The demo only showed us three. I doubt every map is going to look so washed out. Personally, I want to see the UT3 version of that moon map. I can never remember the name, but it's two large pyramid-like forts on the moon with the Earth in the background. That was my favorite map.

CTF Face?

Suriko on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

CTF Face?

You win delicious cake!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

CTF Face?

You win delicious cake!

I have no mouth but I must eat.

You also have fine taste in maps, good sir.

Suriko on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Something about the graphics are really off. Everything looks grainy and rasterized. I think it might have something to do with the lack of AA. Or even the gamma. I've already adjusted the zoom and the resolution.

The framerate is actually pretty good for my hardware, but the constant jumps from 30-60 make it look lower than it really is.

FreddyD on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CTF Face, or Facing Worlds, is one of my all time favourite maps. It plays very differently with no sniper rifles.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never thought sniper rifles belonged in the UT universe. Unreal tournament was about pure brutality and literally crushing your opponents to bits. No holds barred fighting? ya sure-- Alright. Snipers mixed in? eh... not so fun. This whole sniper fad is really starting to annoy me.

Viscountalpha on
  • Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I thought for sure this would rape my PC after seeing the E3 videos, but it runs great at 1024x768 on my 6800 GT (no clue what quality settings it was on -- couldn't seem to find the options for that).

Anyway, as for the game, very very impressive. By far the best UT IMO. I especially love the flying skateboard. XD

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah it's very smooth. It runs and looks way better than the Crysis beta that's for sure. I don't mind the war of the worlds thing so much. It definitely adds some flavor to an otherwise standard deathmatch map. Anything to pump fresh gameplay into deathmatch is a good thing IMO.

The recent GfW interview they were saying how basically the build that journalists get to play runs a hell of a lot faster than the public beta does.

Rook on