As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Produce very good work.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    best way to make a popular comic is to make a comic and then make it popular
    trying to go the other way is super difficult

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hold your Self intact before the Tower
    Awake within the Dream and without
    Then dream within the Dream and without

I mean
    that's how I'd do it

*shrug*

Tam on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Yeah if you want to be a sellout

• Options
    edited April 2015
    who wouldn't
    god I'd love to sell out
    nothing I could produce could be worth the austerity of artistic integrity

be a shill: make that skrill

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Tam wrote: »
    who wouldn't
    god I'd love to sell out
    nothing I could produce could be worth the austerity of artistic integrity

be a shill: make that skrill

Better start making a portfolio full of painted gems. Gems and buttons. Buttons and gems. Buttons that let you buy gems. Buttons made of gems. Gems that make buttons. Butts that make gemons. Gettons maple butters. Bubble gable gen-con. And Jem and Holograms.

Then you'll have a partofolio that'll get you the ventu-dollars in the slicksocon vallerie.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Working on a comic written by kids right now. It's not every day you get to draw a pink kitty with a glowing unicorn horn.

This is more exciting than any movie trailer, knowing the quoted above is being produced.

• Options
    Journeyman99Journeyman99 Registered User regular
    Fuck my idea, pink kitty unicorn is where it's at.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    A good piece of advice I heard here a long time ago was to make about 30 pages of comics before you even post them online as a thing. That way you have a backlog to read through, you've got some experience under your belt for writing and drawing, and you have an idea on the rough amount of skill and scope it will take to continue it long term.

Then post it on the internet and keep making more quality comics. Maybe through them into tumblr and make a thread here in PA: Art request. I learned what Whomp! and Next Town Over were from their art threads.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Yeyeyeah, this thing's gonna be rad. It also features samurai robots and soda dispensers that dispense brains instead.
    And yeah, start your comic. Don't wait till you gain traction by doing something that isn't exactly what you want to be doing. Say, fan art is an easy way to get a massive following, but I don't wanna be doing Naruto fan art to get people to follow me, when what I want to be doing is my own stuff. Do your own stuff and you'll attract people that like your stuff, not people who like something that is tangential to your stuff.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'd argue that consistency and communication are also important, although second to actually making good work. Lots of great artists go unnoticed because they're a black box, or they get bored and jump from site to site.

This stuff should be obvious, but produce work regularly, and not only will you improve, but more people will see your stuff more often, and remember it. Try to talk to people you respect and learn from them, don't be a dick, and you'll do fine.

Flay on
  • Options
    Wow, you guys are really awesome, thank you for the kind words, I'll do my best!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    Yeah, it's really weird to think about. I wonder which ones of us are still going to be here in 10 years. I've definitely noticed that I've become less active since I started art school, but I try to stick around still. I'm pretty sure I won't forget this place ever though, since it really has helped me grow a lot.

• Options
    I'm sure I'll be kicking around complaining about something

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Forums and usenet groups are like archaeological bands of the internet past. Some are still active, like communities of mole men hiding from the light of modern web design. Others have died, their remains ossified into the fossils that future sociologists will pick through when they speak of the dawn of the information revolution.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    And I'll make a habit of popping in once or twice every few years to say hey! And everyone'll be all 'who dis?' and then I'll probably be like 'oh nobody, haha' and we'll all go on with life. Future sociologists will be like 'there he is again, sort of participating. fascinating!' (because you know they'd find all past-people fascinating, what with our manual automobiles (which seems like an oxymoron, but somehow isn't) and our aging)

(that's a great link, @Agentflit )

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Yeah I've definitely fallen off the forums a lot more lately, mostly because of time, but because my history with this place I think I'll never leave completely.

I have thought about what would happen if the forums were to shut down. I guess everyone could keep in contact via Facebook, but that really wouldn't have the same feeling of community.

Flay on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2015
    RE: Facebook forums: It probably would cut down on the usefulness and candor of my critiques if I had to worry about someone's entire extended family telling me I'm an asshole for pointing out their PRECIOUS and SO TALENTED son/daughter/sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt/mother/father/grandmother/grandfather/bloodbrother/godchild etc etc. had accidentally drawn a hand with two thumbs.

EDIT: Also these conversations really bum me out because I feel like everyone's going to drift away over the years, and I'll still be here haunting the place by myself, like a lonely immortal vampire/Highlander type who has just persisted on while everything they once knew has fallen away. :(

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Well, there's been an exodus or two from the PA:AC in the past, but folks just floated back here eventually.

Does anyone have one of those 'here's all the gang!!" drawings sitting around? Like from the TSO migration or whatever?

I don't think The AC is full of high emotion these days haha

EDIT: Bacon that's a good drawing prompt

Agentflit on
  • Options
    Eh screw drawing, here's an album cover

forum_highlander_front.jpg

forum_highlander_back.jpg

• Options
    RE: Facebook forums: It probably would cut down on the usefulness and candor of my critiques if I had to worry about someone's entire extended family telling me I'm an asshole for pointing out their PRECIOUS and SO TALENTED son/daughter/sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt/mother/father/grandmother/grandfather/bloodbrother/godchild etc etc. had accidentally drawn a hand with two thumbs.

EDIT: Also these conversations really bum me out because I feel like everyone's going to drift away over the years, and I'll still be here haunting the place by myself, like a lonely immortal vampire/Highlander type who has just persisted on while everything they once knew has fallen away. :(

I'll be here with you Bacon
    The two liches of the AC
    where do you reckon we should keep our phylacterys

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Phylacterys are so cool, I need to get one of those and put it on the moon.

• Options
    Tam wrote: »

I'll be here with you Bacon
    The two liches of the AC
    where do you reckon we should keep our phylacterys

Hide them in the holiday forum, visible only at a limited time of the year and buried deep in antiquity

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'll probably stick around too, for the most part.

I've taken some time from the forums before (the worst was when the AC was flooded with new posters years ago, who I think were just here to post their "new webcomic idea", get really defensive at any critique, and then attack the members who were trying to help them...I think half of them were just trolls).

Even if I need to take a break, I generally really like almost all of the people on these forums, and it's a really nice social outlet to come back to. The AC also remains one of the only places I've found on the interwebs that is reliable for solid critiques, rather than pages and pages of mindless praise.

I mean - praise is great too (even necessary, I'd think, so the artist feels encouraged) but yeah...the largest art forums out there unfortunately don't seem to really offer much in the way of constructive feedback.

• Options
    speaking of a feeling of community.. do we have a skype chat, or something similar? That might be kinda neat

• Options
    Google hangouts! Of which I have yet to attend because I am in the wrong timezone...

• Options
    oh that sounds fun! is it a weekly thing or?

• Options
    Its not really regular. You can start one up at any point here in chat (just make a hangout, post the link) Generally they are more popular in the evenings in the east/central timezones, but there have been some late night and daytime ones.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I am bummed, looks like the local comic shops all sold out of the RTJ Variant covers today. Figured they'd be in high demand but damn.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've slacked off in my posting a lot because this year has (at least it feels like) been hella busy for me. But rest assured, I still drop by!

And watch.

Silently watch from behind the veil.

• Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    I'm mostly just lurking about anonymously, but I'd be pretty bummed out too if this place wouldn't be here anymore. I thought I'd chip in and let it be known.

Cheers.

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    A lot of us post here during work hours where hangouts aren't typically possible. Most of my activity on these boards are between appointments or on days where I have a lot of no-shows.

• Options
    I think a Artist's corner skype chat would be really cool, someone should set something like that up!

• Options
    As long as the forums exist at large, the AC isn't going anywhere. You guys can talk about whatever you want in the chat thread, If you can manage not to get hot under the collar about stupid shit, which was happening when I first started modding. I would like to see more participation overall, but right now things are still at a pace where I can reply to threads when they come in, that's not the worst.

I'd like to encourage you all to increase the cross talk, especially in threads, though. You may not have a giant critique to bestow upon someone, but actually saying something is really what is appealing about the AC. If you are reaching for that awesome button, consider leaving a comment. The AC only dies if you all are willing to sit silently and watch it become a desert, and I just don't see why that'd need to happen. Also look at threads other than the doodle thread.

But really some of the slowdown is expected. The AC used to be full of people yelling at new artists because they sucked, and that was entertaining for the forum at large even if it was somewhat destructive. Now that you cant be shit heels to each other we lost some folks who that was their primary interest. I'm okay with that.

The forums are always going to be appealing to new artists rather than people who are set in their ways and just looking for pageviews/tumblr followers, and so when we find the members who are ready to work and interested in the kind crits we dole out, the hope is to retain them. The reason that alot of us have been here for 10+ years is because we came here with our shitty work and worked on it until we were better, and actually got guidance to do so. Posting on the other big forums is ultimately disappointing, you either get praise or silence, no one likes silence.

Show the AC to your friends, comment on peoples work, and it'll pick back up. I'm not wholly upset with the traffic right now, but when the MOST RECENT column is just a mosaic of my fucking mug, I judge you all a little. You can just say "I like green" and it would be better than nothing.

• Options
    I don't think any of us were really suggesting the AC was going to "die" - this forum has always been one of the slower ones, but it also cycles in new members over time. The real reason people permanently leave I think is generally just that they end up having really busy lives IRL, and can't spend as much time in the forums.

I can't recall people ever really getting "hot under the collar about stupid shit" to an excessive degree in the chat threads - do you mean about the flood of new posters acting like jerks? That's the only incident I can really remember. Maybe that was one of the times I wasn't visiting the forums very often. :)

The chat thread has - in my memory - always been more or less really relaxed, which is really nice. I know some other forums have Hella Drama on the regular...but I only remember the AC having that when yeah, that "flame war" thing happened for like a week or two back in the day, which - agreed - certainly didn't help us to seem too welcoming. :P I feel that's not really ever an issue anymore, though? Just the slowness. Which fluctuates, so it's fine.

I'm not really sure how to bring more people in here organically. If we were busier I almost feel like that in itself would help attract more members.

• Options
    There were some enraged conversations about comics in here when I first started, for some reason.

The forum being busier does encourage people to post, and that's why I want to see more cross talk. If people lurk and see that there's only two types of posts, people posting art, and giant multiple paragraph critiques, they think they cant post casual opinions about work. I get tumblr asks about people saying they saw my work on the forum and liked it, and I try to encourage them to post. They feel like tumblr is more appropriate for their passing comment, but I want people to understand that the forums are fine for it.

I guess all I'm saying is that if you are are looking, then a minute or two posting is the difference between a slow forum and an active one, and while suggestions for activities and such tend to get people jazzed up, the subsequent participation is usually lacking. When new members come around and they see a bunch of dead activities, they just sorta assume that nobodies home.

I realize that most of you don't have time for the old comic activities that we used to do and that kind of thing, but I think that a few of you have enough time to leave a sentence or two once a week. It really makes a place more appealing if it seems to be populated. Most people dont know yall are lurking, like I do.

• Options
    yeah uh hey if any lurkers are out there stop lurking

we don't bite!

we nibble

• Options
    With what I do, I always fear talking as more of a layman is gonna do more harm than good. Most of you folks are fantastic and while I have a design and layout background my drafting skills are crap at best.

This discussion has been closed.