As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hate CFLs

taylorjjsamtaylorjjsam Registered User new member
I have two wall sconces that are wired for GU24 bulbs. I hate those things and I don't want to use an adaptor to get an LED bulb using the edison threaded bottom. I intend to replace the sockets and need to know if I can use keep and use the original wiring for the GU24 socket. It appears to be threaded aluminum. The writing on the wiring is too small to read so I don't have any specs for it. I am uneasy about using wiring intended for a CFL bulb with anything that can fit in a standard socket for fear of overheating. If I were to rewire the fixture can I use 14 THHN wire?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Uh, hmm. You probably want to call an electrician.

• Options
    taylorjjsamtaylorjjsam Registered User new member
    Why Usagi? Are you an electrician? Please expound...

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a job for an electrician. Too many unknowns.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

She is an engineer.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Because we can't give advise that has a very good chance at getting you electrocuted. If we had pictures and a full wiring diagram we might be able to help, but even then you're asking for trouble as the way it's wired and the way it should be wired could be drastically different.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Years back I worked in high end retail and interior design and we got these questions a lot. Over time, I heard plenty of stories of people who didn't listen to the designers face all sorts of threats. Threat of fire, threat of electrocution, threat of just shorting out bulbs nonstop, threat of shorting out the breaker.

Call a professional, buy the proper sconce, or suck it up and use the right bulb. This was always the advice given. Don't fuck with electricty.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I just looked up aluminum wiring. Wow, you're screwed. Aluminum wiring is a mistaken cost cutting measure of the late 60s, early 70s, as it oxidizes over time, particularly at the connection points, causing overheating, high enough to start fires. You need to replace the aluminum wiring with copper or bond the aluminum ends with copper, at every connection point (like light sockets, switches, outlets, and junction boxes). And even then, you need to only use light sockets specifically designed for aluminum wiring.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »

She is an engineer.

And the child of a master electrician

Trust me: as a homeowner don't fuck with electricity or sewage, you'll end up fried or covered in shit (sometimes both!)

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    As a naval rated electrician....

Call a professional.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

She is an engineer.

Trust me: as a homeowner don't fuck with electricity or sewage, you'll end up fried or covered in shit (sometimes both!)

Hey @Usagi, without starting up a new thread maybe you can answer me. Replacing my own wall outlets. Good idea by myself or no? Seems like modern outlets are pretty easy to install especially since the wire can often just get pushed into the back of the box. Or is this still a job for an electrician?

(Wondering because I'd like to replace an outlet that has gotten loose and the plug won't stay in anymore.)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you turn off the power at the breaker box, and test the wire with a voltage tester, that's a pretty easy DIY as a homeowner.

Just understand the risks and take all the precautions.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah, it's real simple to do. If it is at all possible ALWAYS shut off the source before working on electricity. And work with a buddy that knows CPR and knows what to do if you flip the wrong breaker (IE use a non-conductive material to knock you loose of the live wire you're holding, able to call 911/999) in case bad stuff happens.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

She is an engineer.

Hey @Usagi, without starting up a new thread maybe you can answer me. Replacing my own wall outlets. Good idea by myself or no? Seems like modern outlets are pretty easy to install especially since the wire can often just get pushed into the back of the box. Or is this still a job for an electrician?

(Wondering because I'd like to replace an outlet that has gotten loose and the plug won't stay in anymore.)

Depending on where you live you are required to get stuff like that done by a registered sparky.

As fun as it is to be a libertarian and say don't tell me what to do in my house, if there are issues and you need to claim insurance, or if you sell you will run into issues.

• Options

She is an engineer.

Hey Usagi, without starting up a new thread maybe you can answer me. Replacing my own wall outlets. Good idea by myself or no? Seems like modern outlets are pretty easy to install especially since the wire can often just get pushed into the back of the box. Or is this still a job for an electrician?

Listen I'm not going to tell you not to work on your own house, but unless you've worked with somebody who'd done this before/is an inside electrician and you're reasonably sure that your house is wired like you expect it to be (hint, it's not), it's not worth the risk of hurting yourself/fucking up and burning your house down

This is a risk v. reward thing y'all have to work out on your own

• Options
    edited April 2015
    That seems odd, the wiring of the circuits inside a house would not seriously affect wiring an outlet.

Assuming you correctly rewired it and made sure to match up outlet types (aluminium requires special care).

Again, don't work with live wires, but everything else should be match A to A and B to B, etc.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Look up aluminum wiring guys.

Before you mention DIY again, go look up aluminum wiring.

I've done a lot of DIY electrical work, but reading up on aluminum wiring, no way would I touch that.

I'm so glad that my house has copper wiring.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    hsu wrote: »
    I'm so glad that my house has copper wiring.

But isn't that the point Usagi was making?
    you're reasonably sure that your house is wired like you expect it to be (hint, it's not)

That a homeowner should assume the worst and just not touch it without a professional?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    That seems odd, the wiring of the circuits inside a house would not seriously affect wiring an outlet.

Assuming you correctly rewired it and made sure to match up outlet types (aluminium requires special care).

Again, don't work with live wires, but everything else should be match A to A and B to B, etc.

That breaker you flipped? Turns out it impacted this fixture but not that one.

I had a 1907 house. I'm pretty sure quantum entanglement and/or wormholes were involved in the wiring diagram.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I had a 1907 house. I'm pretty sure quantum entanglement and/or wormholes were involved in the wiring diagram.

Well yeah, that's why you test it before you start touching it. Fairly positive I mentioned that.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

Well yeah, that's why you test it before you start touching it. Fairly positive I mentioned that.

lick your fingers and touch the wire, or buy something like this thing.

Not endorsing you to do whatever it is you are doing because I didnt even know aluminum wiring was a thing.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    or you pull the outlet and go to change wires and things crumble in your hand

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
  • Options

Then there's the "Oh that random switch on the other side of the house? Turns out it makes this thing hot again"

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Then there's the "Oh that random switch on the other side of the house? Turns out it makes this thing hot again"

That's why for older houses I always insisted all the electricity be cut off at the box, and I do it myself to be sure. This has failed me at least once, but it works for the majority of homes. Super old ones like yours with a stupid enough person behind the wiring can still lead to a live wire though. Seriously, be super careful with wiring. Most house lines normally won't kill you, but they hurt a lot. Please note the qualifiers in that sentence carefully.

• Options
    That was among the reasons I sold that house. Doing home improvement in hard mode is fun for a while, then you realize options exist where the wiring is sensible, the walls are straight and the floors are relatively level.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Any time I am going to replace a busted light socket or switch or whatever I always kill all power to the house. I don't just switch off the circuit breaker I think is responsible, I pull the primary neutral link out. Of course then I have to work with battery powered lamps if it is dark, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Here you go I found a picture for you:

1525559_201335846723861_1958698985_n.jpg?oh=01bc84d369fcc3e141fade2089d19e57&oe=559F13AB

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Any time I am going to replace a busted light socket or switch or whatever I always kill all power to the house. I don't just switch off the circuit breaker I think is responsible, I pull the primary neutral link out. Of course then I have to work with battery powered lamps if it is dark, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Primary neutral link? I'm not familiar with that terminology but you're still not safe if there is a connection to the hot side of the supply and a ground anywhere nearby.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    or you pull the outlet and go to change wires and things crumble in your hand

Cloth insulated wires in our houses high-five buddy!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Here you go I found a picture for you:

1525559_201335846723861_1958698985_n.jpg?oh=01bc84d369fcc3e141fade2089d19e57&oe=559F13AB
    I need this sign.

Specifically I need a few dozen copies of it so I can post it near things that the deckies and stewards should really not be fucking messing with.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Also, like most people I thought the console explosions in Star Trek were cheesy/silly.

Then I learned about Arc Flashes...

For those curious, a breaker works by separating two points of contact so the circuit is broken. However, if something bridges the gap this is known as a short, hence short-circuit.

However if enough power is running through a circuit, it can jump from one point to another. Ever seen two wires held close, but not touching and that lightning arcs between them? That's a mini arc-flash. Now applify that by a few thousand volts and a couple hundred amps and you can arc over the two points on an open breaker, while exploding it as well, sending shrapnel, fire and lightning everywhere.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah there's plenty of videos on websites like LiveLeak showing people dying from arc flashes if you want. Hell, a transformer blew up at a shopping center in my city a little while ago and multiple people died.

Electricity is really fucking powerful, and really fucking dangerous, yo.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Primary neutral link? I'm not familiar with that terminology but you're still not safe if there is a connection to the hot side of the supply and a ground anywhere nearby.

Ah, I meant primary live link. It's probably not the right terminology, but it's what my Grandfather called the main fuse in the house fuse box, so that's what my Dad calls it and now I guess I call it that too.

Shut down everything, no power to anywhere. Still test for leakage with a multimeter before you touch anything (I DO NOT trust voltage sniffers), but it means that there should not be any power anywhere in the house at all.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Yeah im a fan of the main breaker shut off method.

• Options
    Always double check to see if it's live though.

I've seen a situation where two breakers were supplying a house because it was a double family house that got remodeled as single family.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    at this point, residential wiring makes me super super cautious. just turning off a circuit doesn't cut it for me these days - not after seeing how someone had wired the fucking HVAC through a ceiling light socket

that was a good zap :?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Always double check to see if it's live though.

I've seen a situation where two breakers were supplying a house because it was a double family house that got remodeled as single family.

Yep, you can never be completely sure, hence the checking with a multimeter. Because volt pens are unreliable pieces of garbage.

• Options
    Industrial electricians use volt pens (and other non-contact detection means) all the time.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Industrial electricians use volt pens (and other non-contact detection means) all the time.

Right up until they get a jolt from something their volt pen told them was dead, and then they move on to better gear. There are non-contact solutions that are much more accurate than volt pens but then I already own a multimeter, so why not just use it?

• Options
    Maybe you can clarify what exactly you mean by a volt pen and also what your background/experience is? Mine is in mining.

This discussion has been closed.