As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australia, where winter is coming. And also Game of Thrones, months after everywhere else.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Congratulations Ahava!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Haere mai, nau mai.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Of course it's not permanent. Well. Sort of. I can stay indefinitely. But! There's a two year travel date currently. Once the two years are up I then can apply for permanent residency full stop.

But still! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! I get to vote and pay into kiwisaver! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    my wife asked a question of me this morning and i didnt know how to answer

why does australia put so much focus on our soldiers specifically, and one battle specifically, from WW1 when most other countries, particularly European ones, commemorate the end of the war on Nov 11th and mourn all soldiers equally, not just their own?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    That's a good question. What follows might be a good answer, but I'll probably leave some important stuff out.

The Gallipoli Campaign is important because we were important to it. Yeah, more of our soldiers died on the Western Front (roughly the same amount died or were wounded in the battle of the Somme than in the entire Gallipoli Campaign*), but they weren't really important to the batle. That is, they were just soldiers among the many other soldiers that were there. The Gallipoli Campaign, being scraped together from whatever loose ends the British could round up, featured colonial troops. They weren't the only troops, the British had their own soldiers there too who did a lot of the fighting. But if you're going to pick a Campaign where Australian or New Zealand troops were the most important then it'd be the Gallipoli Campaign.

*The Battle of the Somme: 23,000 Aus. 7,408 NZ.
    The Gallipoli Campaign: 28,150 Aus. 7,473 NZ.

As for remembering soldiers, at most services I attend there is a focus on Australian, New Zealand and Turkish troops. If the British and the German troops etc are mentioned they're included in general references to the war as a whole.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think because that was the first really big losses we had suffered? It was the biggest war the world had ever seen, we were a young country looking for an identity, so the trope of "valiant soldiers dying in vain for their country" struck a chord?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Before then the country was all, "Yo ho ho, let's have a war!"

Gallipoli was the point at which a lot of people realised, wait no, this is actually really fucked up.

broken image link
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It was the first campaign we ran as a country. We've previously had been engaged at the Boers but that was as a colony.

It was the first time we essentially wandered out of our country and said, this is us, here we are and we disagree with what's happening.

Beyond that it's not just representative of world war I. Keep in mind it's called ANZAC day, not galipoli day. Remembrance day recognizes the end of world war I. And it's subsequently import because of that. ANZAC day represents all the men and women who have served not just in world war one, but in all subsequent conflicts and peace keeping missions.

You should go to a service. They put this into words far more eloquently than I do.

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    Just read that the Australian Democrats are no more.
    As party membership has fallen below 500 they have been deregistered by the electoral commission

RIP dudes.
    Or should that be au revoir.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I'm not Australian but having gone to an ANZAC Dawn Service almost every year since I've been here, they do a good job of imparting its cultural significance. I go to support Blake, but I also like looking it as a way to commemorate the sacrifices made by people that created the place I've made my home.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    a bit of wind and rain and the sydney transport network basically shuts down

broken image link
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a bit of wind and rain and the sydney transport network basically shuts down

Isn't it basically a hurricane over there at the moment?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I tried driving somewhere a few hours ago, and it was pretty terrifying.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Stay safe!

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    3 dead outside of newcastle, and the entire university is shut down for today and tomorrow :S

• Options
    I just found a cute tumblr: http://worldmapswithout.nz/
    It's a tumblr featuring maps that have not included New Zealand.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Aww, shut bru.

• Options
    tumblr_ngc7v5bHri1tv3nnno1_r1_1280.png
    A lot of data maps out there suffer from displaying too much information. Our innovate algorithm automatically detects unimportant fragments and produces better, cleaner, maps, that are easier on the eye.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    With how many maps have Australia like a fifth cut off, I am honestly flattered they remember us.

Also now I can't unhear "RIKT"

Fantastic
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Absolutely disgraceful.

Says a lot about the character of those young men that in the face of that, they chose to find ways to sneak into the service of their home country rather than flip the bird and carry on living their normal lives

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Subtle.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    He was just looking out for their well-being.

• Options
    So there is a place that does those escape room scenarios on the Albany highway just up from our place. I did not realise they were there, they are called Mystic Clue. Anybody interested?

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I'd be up for it. I've always wanted to try one of those things.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I was looking at those aroumd Brisbane recently, they look super cool. I just gotta find some time to do one with friends.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lest we forget.
    ... that war is murder,
    politicians lie,
    and propaganda is all that separates national pride from nationalist fervour.
    Lest we forget.

• Options
    What's the advantage of saying that, I didn't see any one here wander in and say how great war is.

I don't disagree with it, but putting it out there just gives the day a negative aspect to it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    either way I'm gonna make biscuits.

• Options
    As Sam Neill said on Charlie Pickering's show, I don't support war nor military culture, but I honor those who serve and have served.

• Options
    AJR wrote: »
    I'd be up for it. I've always wanted to try one of those things.

Yes me too!

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    What's the advantage of saying that, I didn't see any one here wander in and say how great war is.

I don't disagree with it, but putting it out there just gives the day a negative aspect to it.

I've never really seen ANZAC day celebrated as a positive thing anyway, besides of course the bogans that get hellaciously drunk and slur-scream "I was only 19" and "Khe Sanh" on repeat for hours.

• Options
    Lots of speeches today about how the war(s) affected everyone (and it wasn't a general statement, they went through and mentioned nearly every way the war could affect a person). Which seems like it might be widening the scope of ANZAC day too far but it's totally true, wars do affect everyone. I think the only people affected by the war who were not mentioned were the conscientious objectors, but I'm not sure how you'd tactfully work that in.

• Options
    SorCSorC Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So I just got 4 Heroes of the Storm beta keys from Blizzard. Does anyone want one? I havn't played any MOBA games since the original WC3 DOTA mod so I'm not even sure if I want to keep one, but at the very least there's 3 that I definately don't have a use for.

The reason I'm posting in here is they're for the ANZ Battle.net account region ...

SorC on
    11776-1.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Sure, send one my way.

• Options
    I want overwatch.

So much guys.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

and i don't see the point of you being critical either. I don't wander in and start tearing your posts up just because i don't agree with them.

How long did you serve in the military for again?

Today of all days i should get to make one damn post and not have to take shit for it. Thanks for making my day to.

This discussion has been closed.