As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Still haven't gotten my codes aaaaaa

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Looks like they didn't mess with Mega Man too much.

I can no longer fire pellets while I have an item in hand, which sucks. On the other hand, I no longer get "phantom landing lag" on my next jump if I cancel the landing of my UpB with another B attack, so that's cool.

Also Leaf Shield got buffed again woooooo

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Is there a place where unofficial patch notes or official notes are being compiled?

Nevermind.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It's really cool to have Mewtwo on the game now.

I won't use him much, but I'm excited for those who loved him in Melee.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jesus. That picture wasn't lying.
    Diddy Kong
    •Uair nerfed from 8% -> 6%, knockback reduced
    •Fair nerfed from 12%/10% -> 10%/8%, knockback reduced
    •Uthrow nerfed from 10% -> 8%, knockback reduced
    •Dthrow nerfed from 7% -> 6%, knockback unchanged but hitstun reduced
    •Monkey Flip (kick) nerfed 14%/12% -> 12%/10%, knockback reduced
    •Monkey Flip (grab) nerfed 12% -> 10%, knockback reduced
    •Banana (Throw) nerfed from 7% -> 5%

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    So the WiiU game remembers your name between game modes now?

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So I did a system transfer from my old zelda 3ds to my new 3ds. It was overall painless, but moving some of the stuff took a while. I mainly just wanted my NNID on my new 3ds, since I'll probably be buying some dlc stuff, I want it synced up.

Did a smash run with mewtwo, that was fun. I'm really hoping he'll get some custom moves though.

Also I'm going to call it now, Ryu for smash reveal at Evo this year.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Funny enough, I actually am ok with Ryu being in Smash. He's about Capcom's most iconic character not named Mega Man. He has been the face of Capcom and Street Fighter for years now. On top of that, Street Fighter was a staple of the SNES, so he has a history with Nintendo. Plus his play style would translate well to Smash Bros. and be pretty unique.

I'm also hoping that all this is getting us closer than ever to a Nintendo vs. Capcom game. I need that game!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So I did a system transfer from my old zelda 3ds to my new 3ds. It was overall painless, but moving some of the stuff took a while. I mainly just wanted my NNID on my new 3ds, since I'll probably be buying some dlc stuff, I want it synced up.

Did a smash run with mewtwo, that was fun. I'm really hoping he'll get some custom moves though.

Also I'm going to call it now, Ryu for smash reveal at Evo this year.

I'd be blown away by this, as far as I know, all the tournament scene reach out has been from NoA - if they're preparing development to launch or be announced with this foreign tournament then NoJ is becoming involved

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ryu is real simple. Fits into any game. The vanilla of characters.

• Options
    SF2 championship was my first fighter I think, with MK2 being a close second. I'm completely okay with Ryu being in Smash, I just don't want him to be the "Fighter Ballot" winner, because he's not Simon Belmont.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Man, that's a looooot of balance changes. I thought Sakurai said he was done with them?

Then again Sakurai says a lot of things about quitting Smash that quietly get reversed when he catches up on sleep.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'm ok with the fact that Sakurai says stuff that ends up not being the truth.

I want more dlc for Smash! All of the dlc! (Sakurai just needs to let someone else handle the details so he doesn't kill himself.)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32s2ox/why_is_nobody_talking_about_the_fact_that_the/

Possible proof that there will also be upcoming stage dlc, which to be honest, I think was a given since we have character and costume dlc. More stages is all that's missing.

With that said, we need a stage ballot so I can tell Sakurai I want the Windwaker Pirate ship stage back from Brawl.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ooh, question! Does Mewtwo still have his awesome side throw, where he tosses ya followed by a bunch of shadowballs?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ooh, question! Does Mewtwo still have his awesome side throw, where he tosses ya followed by a bunch of shadowballs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PdnIB4Ei8

Yes.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32s2ox/why_is_nobody_talking_about_the_fact_that_the/

Possible proof that there will also be upcoming stage dlc, which to be honest, I think was a given since we have character and costume dlc. More stages is all that's missing.

With that said, we need a stage ballot so I can tell Sakurai I want the Windwaker Pirate ship stage back from Brawl.

I was trying not to get my hopes up, but it really does seem like Nintendo's committed to supporting this for the long haul.

Hah, the pirate ship is my most hoped-for stage too! Just so much fun stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm very happy to have online stage sharing. I went and picked up a few nice looking stages, including an attempt at re-creating Mushroom Kingdom 2.

I put up my attempted copy of Magicant as well. It ain't perfect, but the platforms work as they do in the 3DS version.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

I can no longer fire pellets while I have an item in hand, which sucks. On the other hand, I no longer get "phantom landing lag" on my next jump if I cancel the landing of my UpB with another B attack, so that's cool.

I like the change to his dair, Hard Knuckle. The pause in mid air is a great change.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

Wait, I think I was able to fire shot when having my Metal Blade on hand O.o

• Options
    Tested again, I was able to fire off my pellets while holding the metal blade by just firing the metal blade downwards, grabbing it, then firing several shots.
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I like the change to his dair, Hard Knuckle. The pause in mid air is a great change.

The pause isn't new :O

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    Tested again, I was able to fire off my pellets while holding the metal blade by just firing the metal blade downwards, grabbing it, then firing several shots.

I should clarify. In v1.05, iif you crouched and tapped your c-stick to the side, you would ftilt. This allowed Mega Man to begin his pellet combo with an item in hand. Now you can't begin your pellet combo unless your hands are free. (Once you fire pellet 1, you can fire pellets 2 & 3 even if you have picked up an item while firing.)

Also, in v1.05 if you held down A and hit your cstick forward, you would begin charging a fsmash, and releasing A would fire it. This allowed MM to use Mega Buster with an item in hand.

Both those options are gone in v1.06. It's a global change; every character could do these tricks before, and none can now. Mega Man just misses these little tricks more than most because of the range, speed, and priority on both his pellets and his fsmash.

• Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good guide that can run down the basic special attacks for each character? Like "Lucarios Down B is a counter move."?

I basically skipped Brawl (i burned through it a year ago but don't have any real familarity with most of the new characters in it) and am still trying to get my sea legs back with all the characters I don't know, and most of the guides I've found get WAY too complicated.

Like, what's the difference between Fox and Falco, Pit and Dark Pit (and is it me or is Pit radically different?), Lucario and Mewtwo?

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I was trying not to get my hopes up, but it really does seem like Nintendo's committed to supporting this for the long haul.

Hah, the pirate ship is my most hoped-for stage too! Just so much fun stuff.

Aww man, and the omega version could be you fighting on one of those tingle platforms just out there in the great sea.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone know a good guide that can run down the basic special attacks for each character? Like "Lucarios Down B is a counter move."?

I basically skipped Brawl (i burned through it a year ago but don't have any real familarity with most of the new characters in it) and am still trying to get my sea legs back with all the characters I don't know, and most of the guides I've found get WAY too complicated.

Like, what's the difference between Fox and Falco, Pit and Dark Pit (and is it me or is Pit radically different?), Lucario and Mewtwo?

If what you want is a basic description of characters' special moves, you can just go into the custom moves menu in-game and start messing around. Each special move has a brief description and you can test them out on Sandbag.

To answer your questions:

- Fox and Falco are more or less different characters at this point. All their normal attacks are completely different. Falco is slower, floatier, and jumps higher. His specials are similar to Fox's but at the same time different in critical ways.

-Dark Pit's Neutral B and SideB behaves slightly different than Pit's (different levels of control, damage, and knockback) and his ftilt has less knockback. Otherwise they are the same. The consensus seems to be that Pit is better.

-Lucario and Mewtwo are different in almost every way. The only move they share is their Neutral Bs, and even those behave very differently from each other.

ChopperDave on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So Mac's dash not going as far makes it a lot harder to kill people attempting to cheese you with Kirby or Dedede.

Previously it was basically a free dash attack as Mac would connect before he got inhaled. Now you'll stop just short and get sucked in. There are...risky ways to do it, but I just beat a Kirby after he two-stocked me the first game with inhale. By simply getting close and fsmashing it's pretty simple. Not sure if ftilt has the reach, but it's probably be a safer alternative.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    1tVQOO4.png
    Friday, April 17th @ 9PM
    Saturday, April 18th @ 6PM
    Sunday, April 19th @ 5PM
    Grand Champion: Lucas for the Wii U
    1st Place: Two Mii Fighter Costumes
    2nd Place: A Mii Fight Costume

Signups: Day One | Day Two | Day Three

Mewtwo is back, and so are weekly tournaments! We're celebrating in a big way with not one, not two, but THREE TOURNAMENTS this weekend. We even have FABULOUS PRIZES for the top two winners of each tournament. And the top eight players from the tournaments will participate in a special tournament to win the GRAND PRIZE: a free unlock of Lucas when he comes out! This tournament will take place over a week or two instead of being something that happens live, just to make things easier. As a special treat, Lylat Cruise is also coming back...to a neutral pick! With Sakurai sending a work team to sand down those hard edges, recovery to be easier for everyone!
    1. Double Elimination, with regular matches will be best of three 1v1 matches with three stocks. Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals will be best of five. Time for all matches is eight minutes.
    2. The results of Sudden Death are ignored, and the player with the lowest damage percentage when time expires is the winner.
    3. Items, and equipment are banned; Custom Moves are allowed.
    4. Players may switch characters/moves between matches. The winner of the previous match opts to change first (notify your opponent of whom) and then the loser may change their character in turn.
    5. Starter Stages: 1. Battlefield, 2. Final Destination (or an identical Ω stage), 3. Duck Hunt, 4. Smashville, 5. Town and City and 6. Lylat Cruise.
    6. A starter stage is chosen via striking. Starting with the higher seeded player, players go back and forth banning starter stages until there is one stage left. The set begins on that stage.
    7. After a match, the winner may ban up to two stages. Then the loser picks the next stage, and which may be any of the starter stages or the following counterpick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, Luigi's Mansion, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Halberd. The loser may NOT pick a stage they have previously won on in that set.
    8. When a set is finished, report results on Challonge. If you wish, you can also report the scores of each match (how many KOs each player got), but this is optional. If a mistake is made, report it to me and it'll be fixed.
    9. Sets should take thirty minutes to complete. If after five minutes your opponent has not shown up, please contact me and you will win the set by default.
    10. When playing on Final Destination, either player may choose to play on Omega Palutena's Temple instead.
    11. Smasher's Agreement: a player make pick a stage not on this list if both players agree to it.
    12. ORDER: Winner Bans Stages -> Loser Pick Stages -> Winner Announces Character -> Loser Announces Character -> Play Match

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    can you go into more detail on the multi-days thing - are there three lucases or do you sign up for just one day or is the winner disqualified from the other rounds or is it just three tournaments and the ... average? top ranks go on?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Three tournaments, nine Mii costumes up for grabs, and one Lucas.

I will be picking the top spots for the fourth tournament. First I get all people that topped their tournaments, and fill in any gaps within that three (say one person got 1st two times) with second place people, then I move on to second place to pick three from there using third as a backup and so on. Not a neat system, but I didn't want to make people feel like they had to play all three nights to win.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

Really? Clearly I just have not spent enough time playing MegaMan then! This can be remedied easily enough.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Wow. Is it just me, or is Dr. Mario really good?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Well he didn't spend 8 years in medical school for nothing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think I'll sign up for this tourney. I know I can at least make Friday and Sunday.

What are good ways for Duck Hunt to deal with guys up close? Go for a grab and try to build some space while they're reeling?

• Options

I should clarify. In v1.05, iif you crouched and tapped your c-stick to the side, you would ftilt. This allowed Mega Man to begin his pellet combo with an item in hand. Now you can't begin your pellet combo unless your hands are free. (Once you fire pellet 1, you can fire pellets 2 & 3 even if you have picked up an item while firing.)

Also, in v1.05 if you held down A and hit your cstick forward, you would begin charging a fsmash, and releasing A would fire it. This allowed MM to use Mega Buster with an item in hand.

Both those options are gone in v1.06. It's a global change; every character could do these tricks before, and none can now. Mega Man just misses these little tricks more than most because of the range, speed, and priority on both his pellets and his fsmash.

Ah, I see. No wonder I couldn't pull that off before, I don't have a Wii U.

Anyone have a good guide for Mega Man? I felt I could do decently before, but since last Sunday I have been having a ton of trouble winning matches, but a lot. I could not for the life of me win a single match that day. Today at least I was able to get a few wins against a Japanese player that had been giving me a lot of trouble (I could get him to the second stock at somewhat high percentages, but I failed to finish the job most of the time).

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

What do you call someone who graduated medical school last in his class?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

What do you call someone who graduated medical school last in his class?

Doctor.

• Options
    Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    I do not have a main yet but these are the Characters I use the most:

Sonic
    Yoshi
    Luigi
    Diddy Kong
    Mii Swordfighter
    Pit
    Dark Pit
    Captain Falcon
    Shiek

TbjrD9q.png
  • Options

Ah, I see. No wonder I couldn't pull that off before, I don't have a Wii U.

Anyone have a good guide for Mega Man? I felt I could do decently before, but since last Sunday I have been having a ton of trouble winning matches, but a lot. I could not for the life of me win a single match that day. Today at least I was able to get a few wins against a Japanese player that had been giving me a lot of trouble (I could get him to the second stock at somewhat high percentages, but I failed to finish the job most of the time).

Eh, not really. There are a few good Mega Man players but none of them have written or taped guides yet.

I recommend looking for videos of Ninjalink. He's one of the best Mega Man players active right now and he competes regularly, so there are a lot of videos of him playing different characters.

Self plug: I've also written a techniques and tricks guide over on Smashboards. It's a pretty good resource for learning all of the little things you can do as Mega Man that aren't readily apparent.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I started reading Chopper's guide but my eyes just rolled into the back of my head at trying to understand a lot that stuff

Just don't have the time/energy/skill to figure out how to do a lot of it I guess. : (

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So there's a tournament tonight, guys! And one for the next few days, but I'm mostly talking about tonight

And you know what, tournaments are great! But I think maybe we could add a little something to it. A little pizzazz. A little... fun!

nAjXR8H.png

Not a ton of people are signed up as of this writing, in spite of the fact that winning can get you some sweet sweet free Amiibo costumes or even Lucas DLC down the line. So I'm going to sweeten the pot just a touch - and not just for the winner! No, this is for anyone who participates or another forumer they designate

I ain't much for spending money, so instead: I will write you a fanfic. A horrible, horrible shipping fanfic. I can't guarantee it will be as long as my previously posted fanfic, but it will be JUST FOR YOU, to share or hide away in secret as you will, and you don't have to win a single got dang fight to get it.

Here's how it works!
    • Sign up for the tournament! If you can't sign up for the tournament due to lack of Wii U, try to convince someone who doesn't want the prize to name you as the receiver on their behalf! For instance, if @SilverWind signs up but does not really want the prize, she could designate me as the lucky receiver!
    • Every person who signs up or is designated as a receiver will be issued a number according to the number they sign up with! I will post a list just before or just after the beginning of the tournament.
    • After the tournament has ended, I will use a random number generator to pick the lucky winner!
    • Pick a Smash bros. character pairing! Or a tripling, I guess? Anyway it's a shipping fic, go nuts, but keep in mind that the more people involved the less detailed/exacting/horrible I can be, by necessity. If you want it to be a BIG SURPRISE, I'll use a random number generator to pick the pairing, which is how I did the last one!
    • Wait for your fabulous/horrifying prize, which should be ready in a couple of days!

If you really don't want the prize and also don't want to designate a receiver - you monster - then I'll re-roll in the event that you're picked for the prize, so no pressure!

Don't normally participate in tournaments? Now's the perfect time to do it! Have fun, and maybe win a fanfic! Bring a friend! Bring a spouse! Up your chances of winning, play with nice people! Fun fun fun!

Only one entry per person. Multiple players may not designate the same person as their receiver. Players may operate in cahoots to increase their chances of winning because I can't stop them. All expectations of quality fanfic are strictly prohibited. Prize will be distributed via e-mail, PM, or other medium you designate. Prize has no monetary value and may not be redeemed for cash or eshop credit. Further rules and limitations may apply: see your Smash thread associate for details.

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.