As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I don't care for Landsknechts for dungeon exploration as of branch 5. Links don't do enough up-front damage to justify the TP management. They don't even remotely compare to Gunners for short fights. Triple-linking a FOE is OBSCENE, though, so they definitely have a place.

But really it doesn't matter much, because so far, if you have a Protector with Provoke and a Dancer with Regen Waltz, your party is immortal against standard dungeon enemies, full stop. I haven't seen anything that can even remotely threaten you through that. I hope Provoke-ignoring skills become more common eventually, because it's obscene. If the Protector is blocked off in a hallway, I'm pretty sure monsters would rather stand around doing nothing until they die than suffer the indignity of performing a basic attack on anyone else. And the Protector never dies either, because the defense boost is enormous.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So a D P L G team should be able to effortlessly roll through most anything that comes their way huh, be it a DOE in the field or boss.

Dancer healing, refreshing, and damage
    Protector tank
    Land is there for linking any DOE or boss you run into
    G for room AoE and tagging a debuff on a DOE

I have a major complaint about Gunners though, their AI is painfully retarded.

If you are in a hallway situation

| |G|P|E| |

where E is the enemy the gunner will not shoot at him unless you manually control him. It's as if he doesn't even see the enemy two spaces away in direct line of sight.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    AI is an issue in general. If you have a restoration scroll in your inventory, getting a status ailment basically locks your team in place. Medics also love to sit in room entrances, blocking the rest of your team from passing them.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    So a D P L G team should be able to effortlessly roll through most anything that comes their way huh, be it a DOE in the field or boss.

Dancer healing, refreshing, and damage
    Protector tank
    Land is there for linking any DOE or boss you run into
    G for room AoE and tagging a debuff on a DOE

I have a major complaint about Gunners though, their AI is painfully retarded.

If you are in a hallway situation

| |G|P|E| |

where E is the enemy the gunner will not shoot at him unless you manually control him. It's as if he doesn't even see the enemy two spaces away in direct line of sight.

P D L G is the party I'm planning to bring on my next boss run. The P D G is my standard for pretty much everything, and then the last slot varies. It's usually a Hexer for making monster houses and similar big room battles go more smoothly, but I do other stuff too. After the next boss I'm gonna try Wanderer (who originally looked weak, but at 20 they can get a six-turn haste for six TP, which is quite appealing).

And yeah, party members behave as though they're blind in hallways for some incomprehensible reason. Hallways being dark (can only see one tile ahead) and rooms being lit is the standard in older Mystery Dungeon games, but it doesn't really apply to this one, so I have no idea why this is the case.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I've heard so many bad things about the AI in EMD that I feel like I need to rent the game before buying it, especially given my past experiences with how punishing and exacting Shiren games are. Sometimes AI quirks can be endearing, but I'm not sure it would outweigh the frustration in this kind of game.

If only there was a Blockbuster around...

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    If I've never played a Paper Mario game, am I better off getting Paper Mario on Wii U and then upgrading it for $2 or getting Sticker Star on 3DS? I've got 700 CN coins and wondering what to do with them.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    H*R wrote: »
    If I've never played a Paper Mario game, am I better off getting Paper Mario on Wii U and then upgrading it for $2 or getting Sticker Star on 3DS? I've got 700 CN coins and wondering what to do with them.

Get the virtual console release of Paper Mario.

Then buy a GameCube and play Thousand Year Door.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Sticker Star is a fun game and well worth playing, but it's very different than the original Paper Mario and its Gamecube sequel.

Play the original first, I'd say, but still check out Sticker Star whenever you can.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular

I played the original Paper Mario for the first time a couple of years ago, and it is definitely worth playing. Not as good as the Mario and Luigi games, but lots of fun in it's own right.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I felt like sticker star was way too devoid of gameplay, I dunno.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Paper Mario isn't on the Wii U virtual console

that said the possibility of playing it for $2 at some point is still better than Sticker Star

(I had occasional fun with Sticker Star but by the end beating it felt more like an obligation than something I wanted to do, there's most likely something better you could do with your time)

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Paper Mario is coming to the Wii U, April 30th.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Sticker Star is inferior to all three of its predecessors in every regard. The combat is oversimplified, the puzzles require an enormous amount of backtracking, and the story is nonexistent. Not everyone agrees that it's an objectively bad game, but it is unequivocally the worst Paper Mario game.

The original Paper Mario is the second best in the series, overshadowed only by its immediate sequel. The lone oasis for the JRPG fan on the Nintendo 64, it follows most of the conventions you expect from the genre. It popularized the idea of using parter characters outside of combat to solve puzzles, much like how one would use items in an action adventure game. The larger narrative is a standard "Bowser kidnaps Peach" affair, but it's separated by smaller vignettes that flesh out the Mario universe much more than the platforming games ever will.

• Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like my plan is to get Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advanced 3, Earthbound, and Paper Mario for my 700 coins, and then Mario Golf I guess for my Platinum game? It's either that or Yoshi's New Island, but the standing recommendation here was to get the GBA game instead.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

Forget Sticker Star it's garbage, and the only worthwhile argument that can be made for Miyamoto being a dumbass.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Forget Sticker Star it's garbage, and the only worthwhile argument that can be made for Miyamoto being a dumbass.

Wii Music doesn't work for that too? Or was that not him?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sticker Star is like the prototypical Mario RPG. If you've never played a Mario RPG-- or maybe just never played an RPG-- and really want to ease your way into it, go with Sticker Star.

Otherwise, PM64 all the way.

...until you get to a GameCube with The Thousand Year Door, that is.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I own TTYD for Gamecube. Bought it used a while back from Gamestop. My Wii broke before I could play it. Just recently I got another used Wii that can play Gamecube games, so I really need to remedy this problem. I loved the first Paper Mario, and I loved Sticker Star, so I'm sure I'll love TTYD.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    I know it wasn't an RPG, but I really liked Super Paper Mario. If you can get by the 45 minutes of WORDS at the beginning the story is charming and the gameplay is fun.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Wii Music doesn't work for that too? Or was that not him?

Wii Music was a music composer who was made director of a game and then instantly got in over his head. Not sure who made the call on that one.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I know it wasn't an RPG, but I really liked Super Paper Mario. If you can get by the 45 minutes of WORDS at the beginning the story is charming and the gameplay is fun.

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario a lot. It was just super wordy, which worked against the pseudo platformer it was trying to be.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

The only crime I can pin on Super Paper Mario is that it was the beginning of the self-hating phase that culminated in Sticker Star. Even the verbosity doesn't bother me. I don't mind when characters talk a lot as long as the things they say actually make me laugh.

I just wish the series would stop acting like it's embarrassed about being an RPG. Especially since modern Nintendo home consoles tend to have so few to begin with.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Downloaded the new Streetpass games. Pretty neat from what I can tell.

Really debating the VIP room thing though. I mean, it seems like basically a way to cheese plaza tickets. But they also locked behind it an option to customize streetpass greetings and stuff, so you can skip a LOT of the conversation-y stuff when loading new miis into your plaza. I'm kind of annoyed that option is locked behind a pay wall. It's almost worth $5 to load up the plaza quickly though, I dunno...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Super Paper Mario has multiple points where the game clearly wants you to quit playing it. Like it really doesn't want to keep going for whatever reason.

"Stop playing. Seriously, put the controller down and turn off the console. Now. I will make you do nothing but run in a hamster wheel for 10 minutes. I'm not fucking joking here. I'll do it."

*10 minutes of doing nothing but running in a hamster wheel later*

"*siiiggghhh* You're seriously still here? Fuuuuuck... ok, let's keep going..."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    It actually amazed me how many people missed the secret room in that section. You only had to run for maybe a minute or so.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It actually amazed me how many people missed the secret room in that section. You only had to run for maybe a minute or so.

Truth be told, I might be fudging the numbers a bit. The whole experience is rather a tainted memory.
    I know there was a whole breadtrail to finding a large pile of money. But you still had to run in the wheel long enough to get it all started. And that was nothing more than holding the stick and doing nothing for minutes.

Unless you're saying there was a way to minimize even that. Then I'll happily eat crow... for that bit anyways. There were still plenty other stinkers in the game. :)

• Options

Super Paper Mario is a practical joke on the player. It's fascinating from that standpoint, but not actually fun.

I found the secret room in the hamster wheel bit. You still have to run a fucking long time to pay the guy, if memory serves.
    That wasn't nearly as bad as the endless part where you're walking on a black line on a white screen.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Super Paper Mario is a practical joke on the player. It's fascinating from that standpoint, but not actually fun.

I found the secret room in the hamster wheel bit. You still have to run a fucking long time to pay the guy, if memory serves.
    That wasn't nearly as bad as the endless part where you're walking on a black line on a white screen.

Super Paper Mario took out the outstanding RPG elements from Thousand Year Door in order to be a platformer like other Mario games. It then proceeds to be a terrible Mario platformer. It is not very good.

My list of Mario RPGs from best to worst (which doesn't include SMRPG because I only recently got access to it through VC).

1) Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
    2) Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
    3) Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
    4) Paper Mario
    5) Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
    6) Mario & Luigi Dream Team

• Options

Super Paper Mario took out the outstanding RPG elements from Thousand Year Door in order to be a platformer like other Mario games. It then proceeds to be a terrible Mario platformer. It is not very good.

My list of Mario RPGs from best to worst (which doesn't include SMRPG because I only recently got access to it through VC).

1) Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
    2) Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
    3) Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story
    4) Paper Mario
    5) Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
    6) Mario & Luigi Dream Team

I may quibble over some placements, but that's a damn solid ranking overall. I would probably insert SMRPG into slot 4½ on your list.

I'm curious, have you not played Sticker Star, or do you simply consider it to be unworthy of being designated an RPG.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

At least that part had a sort of creepiness to it. I mean, you were in a world that had been utterly and completely destroyed.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So what's the right thread to talk about the new Streetpass games (there are TWO NEW STREETPASS GAMES GUYS!!!), this one or the eShop one?

If it's this one, can we talk about how ridiculously adorable the Bait Shop girl is? Is it even possible to make a Mii like that, or are they cheating? It (Ultimate Angler) also seems to avoid the major mistake of Monster Manor, which had an interesting and appealing narrator type character, who then immediately falls off the face of the Earth, never to be seen again unless you try to play without any Streetpasses. It even has a bit of Rusty going on, with some surprising plot dropped on you during your first trip through.

The Zombie game (Battleground Z) is interesting, if a bit shallow feeling so far? I think the most interesting thing is just to get to control my Mii as a normal game character after all these years of Streetpassing and having it just be a receiver for other people's sent stuff. Scratch that, the most interesting thing is that Nintendo bit the bullet (200 years late) and released a zombie game for kids.

Edit: Have not played Sticker Star, but Miyamoto knows nothing about what makes an RPG fun, just by his design suggestions.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I got three individuals with 9,999,999 soldiers on Warrior's Way tonight...Homepass uses I guess. Lame.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I got three individuals with 9,999,999 soldiers on Warrior's Way tonight...Homepass uses I guess. Lame.

Getting 9,999,999 soldiers is trivial once you get past the initial hump. Once you unlock the ability to spy on your opponent twice, you can take on larger armies in complete safety, and reap the rewards for doing so without having to ever lose troops instead.

Edit: Wait, WHAT?!? Be right back.

jothki on
  • Options
    I think you're ranking Dream Team a little low, but maybe that's just because it's the only Mario and Luigi one I've managed to finish.
    (The others are victims of circumstance...and once I've lost momentum, it's hard to go back.)

• Options
    There's no way that any other Mario and Luigi could be lower than Partners in Time.

• Options
    I think you're ranking Dream Team a little low, but maybe that's just because it's the only Mario and Luigi one I've managed to finish.
    (The others are victims of circumstance...and once I've lost momentum, it's hard to go back.)

Keep in mind that Dream Team being on the bottom doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game. It's just the worst game in a very good series.

• Options
    The only way I could see that would be if you reeeeeally hated that it used the gyroscope for a lot of the special attacks. (I did...)
    But I'd definitely rate it way higher than the first Paper Mario, and higher than Bowser's Inside Story, too, which I played most of.

• Options
    The only way I could see that would be if you reeeeeally hated that it used the gyroscope for a lot of the special attacks. (I did...)
    But I'd definitely rate it way higher than the first Paper Mario, and higher than Bowser's Inside Story, too, which I played most of.

My perspective is doubtlessly skewed by my general preference for home console games and my affection for Bowser as a character.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Nope, I played it legit start to finish.

I have a couple friends with the game, and my local McDonald's parking lot gets me 6 streetpasses at a time every time too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really? I have to almost rub againist the building to get it to streetpass for me?

Durr I apparently never set where I was because I cannot play the fishing game until I do
    How do I do this?