As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    With the farmstead apparently clear of hostiles, everyone makes a rapid push up to the UFO. Elderlycrawfish is first to reach his overwatch position on the eastern arm, while Farangu protects the rest of the squad's advance with another proxy.

V3n1We8.png

It's a wise precaution, but Snakeman resilience is about to introduce us to a new horror:

Lv6g4z2.gif

For the first time, one of our proximity grenades fails to kill the alien that triggered it.

Operating on the premise that two grenades are always better than one, Sir Fabulous takes this opportunity to join the fight.

4l0p0rv.gif

His throw is a little off, but the adjacent tile should be plenty close enough.

kKScAx9.gif

Oh crackers it's still not dead.

And a few minutes later, it's back up and hissing.

pdoLvPb.png

Perhaps where explosive bombardment failed, direct fire will carry the day. Take it away, Oh My God.

9uL1Bul.gif

CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!

Red light on the range! Rifles down!

Oh my god, Oh My God.

Okay, so clearly direct fire was a mistake. We never should have gone down that road. I don't know what I was thinking.

Mr Ray, let's stick with what brought us to this dance.

rl17yQw.gif1rN8czf.gif

And sure enough, skull-shaped pyrotechnics finally free the Snakeman of its mortal coil.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    Oh my god, Oh My God.

This is just the best.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think the pic of it living through the second grenade and the pic of it dying got swaped.

Other wise....

I loled

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The first pic of it going down had it only being (briefly) knocked out.

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've been through the thread and I would like to !signup for the great fight, Supreme Allied Commander!

Phaserlight on
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Alright, who gave the rookie defective grenades?

Not funny.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    And that right there folks, is, even with MC shenanigans, why Sectoid base assaults are far, far better of an idea than Snakemen.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and they didn't even run into one of those

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    lids are a terror unit associated with snakemen. You'll only see them on snakeman terror missions, alien bases, or terror ships shot down enroute to a terror mission.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    seems like you might need some more meat for the grinder in the near future.
    I would like to !signup.
    I'm doing my part!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Everything is almost in place for the breach now. We just require a contact-free turn to move TeeMan and Crawfish up beside the door.

Qjwt6g4.png

So naturally, another Snakeman slithers right out to greet us with a stun launcher in hand.

Although ... this one seems to have over-extended itself ...

TeeMan, we're going to need you to be very very quiet.

cEYQtqW.gif

Ah ha! So there's another snake inside, and while it's too far away for a safe shot, it's also not in cover.

With this important new piece of intel, a plan begins to take shape in my mind. First, we'll need Elderlycrawfish to clear the exterior for us. He should have no problems at that range.

lkDLIdr.gif

Well, uh. That's one way to do it.

wVRxVva.png

Elderlycrawfish is about five health away from unconsciousness, and feeling as mellow as you please.

This mission, you guys. This f'n mission.

Regardless, now Farangu can deal with the interior. I have communicated to him my determination that nothing must be left to chance.

BPYMhrt.gif

Farangu concurs with me wholeheartedly.

O2wPRXK.gif

Can we please wrap this up and go home before things get any weirder?

pZLpKas.png

Do it, TeeMan. Do it.

OmpSQ5Z.gif

OAzuxfF.png

We put in an emergency call to the pet store, but it turns out they don't stock nine foot tall terrariums.

fH98Mt8.png

When I asked if they had any food bigger than frozen mice they just hung up. =(

Meanwhile, it looks like the promotions board has gotten into the schnapps:

VTuQvzK.png

Dewy-eyed neophyte schuss has been on a single mission and now holds X-Com's third-highest rank.

For bringing us the closest we've come yet to a friendly fire casualty, Oh My God makes Sergeant.

Notorious kill-stealer an_alt snipes the last Colonel badge and its concomitant base command out from under Phoenix-D.

• Options

With this important new piece of intel, a plan begins to take shape in my mind. First, we'll need Elderlycrawfish to clear the exterior for us. He should have no problems at that range.

lkDLIdr.gif

Well, uh. That's one way to do it.

wVRxVva.png

Elderlycrawfish is about five health away from unconsciousness, and feeling as mellow as you please.

Betcha guys didn't realize regular use of muscle butter makes you shrug off lame-o stuns bombs did ya?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    After seeing everyone bunched up for the breach, did anyone else expect to see an alien grenade toss close out Fanda's update?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Minutes of the XCOM Combatant Operational Management Board (XCOMB) Meeting - April 9th, 1999

XCOMB Chair: "I hearby call this meeting of the XCOMB to order. The first agenda item is to consider promotions related to recent operation "Whirlwind Pudding".

XCOMB Member A: "Can we start by demoting the person responsible for operation names?"

XCOMB Chair: "Your objections are duly noted, but we have more important business. Let's review the tape, shall we? Roll it, Rick."
    Perhaps where explosive bombardment failed, direct fire will carry the day. Take it away, Oh My God.

9uL1Bul.gif

CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!

Red light on the range! Rifles down!

Oh my god, Oh My God.

XCOMB Member A: "..."

XCOMB Member B: "We need to get this guy a desk job, ASAP."

XCOMB Chair: "A sound plan. Not hearing any objections..."
    VTuQvzK.png

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Sergeant is a field promotion. :P Highest rank of Non Commissioned officers. Not including sub ranks.
    Presumably his desk job is in the next wave of promotions.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    He's going to be the desk.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Sergeant is a field promotion. :P Highest rank of Non Commissioned officers. Not including sub ranks.
    Presumably his desk job is in the next wave of promotions.

It'sgiving him the opportunity to lead from the front so either he can become primordial soup or a cushy bean-counter.

*taps mic* Oh is this still on? Shit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    Roll it, Rick."

tumblr_lv77688jZA1qcbby3o1_250.gif

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    *grumbles something about friendly fire*

• Options
    Haus von Trapp is on edge.

In mission control, all eyes are on North Africa. Every shadow that crosses the radar brings a tightening of the sinews, a little electric shiver of adrenaline to everyone watching. And each time, Baske dismisses the contact.

An Israeli spy plane.

A commercial flight off course.

A flock of migratory birds.

And then, finally - a UFO.

zZXRoUU.png

It's not exactly what we've been waiting for.

a34Jb1m.png

Do you laugh with relief or scream with frustration? It's not a terror attack, but it does mark the start of a new alien mission whose goals could well be even more sinister.

qJxGhlP.png

And it vanishes from the board before Lt. timspork's ghost even reaches cruising altitude.

The following morning brings renewed contact over the Sahara, but this one is bound for distant shores:

bn3wAwE.png

It's been several long weeks since Lt. MechMantis last saw action, and now he races to reacquire the much faster alien Scout before it can finish its South American reconaissance run.

sTB36tP.png

Over the span of three and a half hours, the Lieutenant patrols the entire length of Brazil's border, covering most of the continent with his radar bubble. It avails us nothing. The UFO is a ghost.

MechMantis's fuel is now down to 40%. He turns south for a final pass before abandoning the search.

fLiPAaD.png

Our reprieve comes just in time.

mnnfVNM.png

Not fifteen minutes after MechMantis assumes his station over the landing site, the Large Scout is scrambling to evade him.

iJwNAEC.gif

We'll see how elusive they are on the ground tomorrow.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Listen, it's not my fault I MAY have stumbled onto a crate of schnapps and MIGHT have compromising photos of the entire promotions board. I figure a high rank is my one chance out of being an alien chew toy as I transfer somewhere nice and safe for the remaining year or two the earth is run by humans.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

And it vanishes from the board before Lt. timspork's ghost even reaches cruising altitude.

Oh come on!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    b9o7ABk.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    YerMum and @Rend - riflemen
    @Jintor and @Morninglord - autocannons
    Cheeseliker and @Cog - heavy cannons
    @Molybdenum and @Chrono Paladin - riflemen
    Rhan9 and Phoenix-D - autocannons

Six eager new recruits, an experimental new weapons loadout, and a mission name approved by the morale officer himself. What could go wrong?

WeV5mrp.png

It really is remarkable what a difference a Skyranger pilot can make. We might as well be deplaning at an international airport.

xYW9Ygy.png

Mind you, international airports have mine fields and howitzers to prevent barns from approaching the runway. We'll have to improvise.

OWsnIEe.png

With grotesque entry and exit wounds punched through the barn's cranium, Jintor has claimed her first hay-strewn scalp and joined a proud lineage of heroes.

Byzkq17.png

Better still, it looks like she's flushed something out of hiding.

hjZwRRu.png

True Fact about Chrono Paladin: he's travelling back though time on a holy mission from God to purge the world of alien filth.

At least, I'm assuming that's why his mother named him that. Look, we have a lot of new recruits this month, and I didn't have time to read all their personnel files, okay?

NZnkYNz.png

A helpful grenade from Cheeseliker now clears away the fence that was blocking YerMum and Morning Butter's progress north.

lpxU3p7.png

As the blast echoes fade, an eerie silence flows in to take their place. The quiet seems to well up in the shadowy corners of the battlefield, then spills out to cover everything in an expectant hush.

xmlN5ZD.png

Our scouts find nothing as they fan out through the orchard. Even the leaves on the trees are still.

9RxvWwg.png

Both of the country houses appear vacant, their doors closed, the interiors dark.

These Sectoids were a cagey bunch in the air, as MechMantis can testify, and now they're proving just as elusive on the ground.

I don't like it, and neither does Phoenix-D.

H5uZlTV.png

The Captain now disembarks to direct her team's search in person.

• Options
    I was gonna say this is the best mission name, but

Well, we've had some doozies in the past so this one barely keeps up in comparison.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    "Autocannon" is a strange name for a melee weapon.
    *swings it around experimentally*
    Has heft though.
    Okay I can use this.

I am pleased that I have the best hair.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Oh come on!

Gotta be more determined than that. That's how you get the kills!

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I'm guessing from the Rifleman assignment that I was unable to get swole enough for the Big Guns while on base duty. Losing thirty pounds after the digestive derailment from that "muscle butter isn't actually butter" incident probably didn't help.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I'm guessing from the Rifleman assignment that I was unable to get swole enough for the Big Guns while on base duty. Losing thirty pounds after the digestive derailment from that "muscle butter isn't actually butter" incident probably didn't help.
    Man, did you not get the muscle/mussel butter separation memo?
    You're supposed to keep tubs clearly labeled and at least 15 feet apart to prevent just this kind of thing from happening.

• Options
    I've been eating all the muscle butter I could get my hands on and I've got an autocannon.

I'm curious what my stats are.

• Options
    If you didn't get swole and had digestive problems from eating muscle butter

Clearly you didn't eat enough.

• Options
    All I'm saying is blonde isn't my natural hair color and I don't use hair gel.

• Options
    6DymZ0j.jpg

autocannon or hair-styling accessories

you decide
    porque no los dos

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who noticed that @Morninglord in-game is 'Morning Butter'?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Am I the only one who noticed that @Morninglord in-game is 'Morning Butter'?
    So since I only just found out about this thread is it too late to put my hand up for the muscle buttering? I mean alien killing?

I'll be delighted to add you to the list! It's grown quite lengthy, but with North America and Asia coming online over the next 2-3 months, we're going to have a lot of positions to fill.

I would like to request that you use the name "Morning Butter"

:^:

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Yes. Totally took that fence out. Cheeseliker: 1, Fence: 0

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    My glorious career and/or imminent demise has begun. I notice I was assigned directly to the heavy cannons. /flex

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Aww yeah taking point with Yermum.

Go ahead and follow behind me once you guys get the butterflies in your stomach all sorted out.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, sure, those are "butterflies" in your stomach.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    "Butter" flies

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to seeing the elite enemies hit the fan.