As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm still getting back into the swing of things, I'm having a hard time finding a place to level my newly 30 dragoon. I went to Coerthas and the Levemete there only gives level 35 Leves. There doesn't seem to be a Levemete in North Shroud, even though the enemies are level appropriate.

Where should I go to level at 30 to level my dragoon.

Note: I already have a 50 class so my leveling options are pretty much hunts, leves, logs, and dungeon roulettes.

There's a leve in Costa that you can and should do to level from 25-30. It involves picking up wine bottles on the beach. Grab the bottles, ignore the spawned mobs, make 6-10k every 2 minutes (includes turn in and travel time).

Esh on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Alright, I finally bit the bullet and got this game. I went full retard yesterday and I've got a level 18 Gladiator. The main quest seems pretty good about showing me around. I see that Paladin requires a 30 GLD/15 CON. What are some of the other level benchmarks? When do I get a mount, go to the other starting areas, start turning stuff into materia, and get bank access? Any big newcomers guides I should be aware of? I'm on Sargatanas so I'll start looking for the people in the OP after I get back from work tonight.

Also, with regard to crafting, is there a good order to go in? I get that I'll want most classes at level 15 for the cross-class skills.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Alright, I finally bit the bullet and got this game. I went full retard yesterday and I've got a level 18 Gladiator. The main quest seems pretty good about showing me around. I see that Paladin requires a 30 GLD/15 CON. What are some of the other level benchmarks? When do I get a mount, go to the other starting areas, start turning stuff into materia, and get bank access? Any big newcomers guides I should be aware of? I'm on Sargatanas so I'll start looking for the people in the OP after I get back from work tonight.

Also, with regard to crafting, is there a good order to go in? I get that I'll want most classes at level 15 for the cross-class skills.

Here is a spreadsheet of unlockable content:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Acsa2AklmXCk2JCom-RnkgoRELck7ge509SdjGYlAUE/edit#gid=0

This is an older guide but I think it's still up to date: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Decided to run the Heavensward benchmark with my new computer results were.....pleasing.
    rhzwnp7hmnoe.jpg

This was the DX11 benchmark, the DX9 was 1.4K more. :D

ReverseCreations on
    1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't score as high because my native resolution is 1920 by 1200.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Decided to run the Heavensward benchmark with my new computer results were.....pleasing.
    rhzwnp7hmnoe.jpg

This was the DX11 benchmark, the DX9 was 1.4K more. :D

You need a bigger monitor.

• ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

You need a bigger monitor.

agreed, was originally thinking I'd be fine using the old monitor setup of the 1680x1050, and small TV I'm using as my second monitor, but I'll probably shop around monitors this week and get a new one

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Dual monitors are the light and the way.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You need 3 so you don't have that line right down the middle. :P

Is there a way to save a character's current appearance data? I was going to change one of my retainers once Heavensward hits to my current settings.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • RieRie Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    aWs3SDa.jpg

Look at us being adorable :)
    Delph was a good photographer!

Rie on
    FF14 - Rie Himawari (Sargatanas)
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Rie wrote: »
    aWs3SDa.jpg

hahaah this was so fun today lol

Sionnach Rua on
    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Got my new PC up and running.

Benchmark is giving me 7413 at 1080p on Maximum (DX11) with V-sync forced on the graphics card, 12804 without v-sync.

The difference in visual quality to me is so substantial that I'll happily take the lower score. It's not like it dropped below 60fps once the entire time anyway.

So nice!

Though, I'll be 100% honest and at least from the benchmark I didn't see anything aside from the water that stood out to me as hugely different from dx9 in the current game.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Finally got to the Crystal Tower raids last night and managed to get through all of them.
    Got that super swag rainbow plume BRD pirate hat and a Onion Knight TT card.

I have a question regarding (Bard) gearing,
    I'm at i91, Main Hand is 90, pants are i50 and right hand ring is i55.
    Am I doing somthing stupid by thinking of getting a i120 ring with my Poetics, grind out the last 200 soildery for some i100 pants, and updrade my MH though the Relic path?
    Is there some obvioius/better alternative I'm missing?

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    There is no gear restriction on World of Darkness anymore, so get all of your non-accessories from grinding that. Gear is i110 or i120, I forget which. Maybe you'll get lucky and grab a puff too!

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    aWs3SDa.jpg

We still need to kidnap Melonpan

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited May 2015
    Finally got to the Crystal Tower raids last night and managed to get through all of them.
    Got that super swag rainbow plume BRD pirate hat and a Onion Knight TT card.

I have a question regarding (Bard) gearing,
    I'm at i91, Main Hand is 90, pants are i50 and right hand ring is i55.
    Am I doing somthing stupid by thinking of getting a i120 ring with my Poetics, grind out the last 200 soildery for some i100 pants, and updrade my MH though the Relic path?
    Is there some obvioius/better alternative I'm missing?

Amon's pants (ST i100) is rather good as it has a bucket load of accuracy though really, anything is good when going from i50. I'd recommend getting the tomestone from ST and getting the i110 bow to tide you over while you work on the relic. Extreme mode Shiva does have the potential for an i115 bow but the secondary stats aren't great compared to the i110 soldiery weapon.

Edit:
    Adding to the above. It also depends on your 'scope' of content you want to tackle. The highest non-raiding requirement for accuracy is Shiva EX at around 515 required for physical damage (there's occasions that you have to attack Shiva from the front), but aside from that you can make do with marginal amounts of accuracy on your gear. 515 accuracy will serve you for any content up to T11 and with food, you can make do with that amount as base for all of FCoB.
    If your ultimate goal is to get a Zodiac/Zeta relic, then you may wish to focus what little poetics are left on accessories, then gear up the left hand side of gear via World of Darkness. Alternatively, grabbing the i130 Ironworks Magitek weapon is an option, however the poetics cost will hit you for most of the remaining amount between now and the expansion. That said, i130 gear is expected to last to around level 55 so it's not going to be a hard cap of 'nope, no more'
    Optimising your secondary stats by mixing/matching WoD, Poetics and Dreadwyrm gear is only really necessary if you want to have maximum performance. With the exception of progression FCoB, you can easily clear any content in the game with i110 gear.

Takel on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    50 FSH achieved!

i am now a provider and builder of the land.
    i think i'm ready for the expansion?

• ShimazuShimazu Registered User regular
    Just finished the main storyline.

Oh god.

Oh god damn.

FFXIV - Cao Cao @ Sargatanas
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Looking back at my first month I am really glad I decided to level a DPS first. All that quest XP really helps since dungeon timers are just awful for DPS classes. When I go back to level my tank it should be easy to DF it though, even more so with the not-highest-level-class boost.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Shimazu wrote: »

Oh god.

Oh god damn.

I know, right? I don't have anger issues, that's just the type of problem that I prefer to solve with violence.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Shimazu wrote: »

Oh god.

Oh god damn.

I know, right? I don't have anger issues, that's just the type of problem that I prefer to solve with violence.

*reads Bri's post*

*reads the words under Bri's avatar*

*sips tea*

488W936.png
    edited May 2015
    If you had to deal with the window lickers that I do on a daily basis you wouldn't be so smug about it. Merely limiting myself to the title/location/sig lines shows remarkable restraint on my part, I think.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If you had to deal with the window lickers that I do on a daily basis you wouldn't be so smug about it. Merely limiting myself to the title/location/sig lines shows remarkable restraint on my part, I think.

Well, Florida's GOP is pretty terrible, I'll give you that.

488W936.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Well, Florida's Monetarists are pretty terrible, I'll give you that.

FTFY

steam_sig.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So I resubbed a couple months ago to prep for the expansion and then I got laid off so I was like "hey, since I have all this free time I should get a zeta weapon!"

And today...
    gq5wAR7.jpg

Feels good, man.

Noice, I'm still working on mine (just grabbed mahatma #5 yesterday).

aTBDrQE.jpg
    I'm on my last 3 dungeon drops for Zodiac myself. Getting there.

I am also live testing my livestream stuff, most of the early kinks seem to have been worked out now. Feel free to drop by anytime; I plan on doing a lot more streaming of this game in the coming weeks in preparation for streaming the Heavensward launch.

488W936.png
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    aWs3SDa.jpg

Lalafells: One small step above a kindergarden. Go run T11 and then its naptime.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    aWs3SDa.jpg

Lalafells: One small step above a kindergarden. Go run T11 and then its naptime.

Don't forget mid t13 nap time during farms!

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • YeltaYelta Registered User regular
    I really need to get those bunny ears for my Lalafell. So cute!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Aw yes! Botanist and Miner both at level 50! (terribly undergeared, but still!)

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Isn't there one more live letter or event or something before launch?

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Isn't there one more live letter or event or something before launch?

Yup next Producer's Live Letter will be mid May.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Aw yes! Botanist and Miner both at level 50! (terribly undergeared, but still!)

Now you just need to gear them up to 320 perception so you can at least take a crack at the unspoiled nodes!

Which will take some money or time depending on the route you go. It's quite the adventure.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    You don't really need anything special to at least take the 1-star stuff from nodes. The gear you have when you hit 50 should do it unless you haven't been keeping up.

There's a no-star unspoiled node (crawler cocoons, darksteel ore, spruce logs, clusters etc...) before the actual 'star' nodes. The 1 stars require 353 gathering which you won't get even with HQ i55 gear from memory. A forager off-hand will get you really close but you'll still need either more crafted forager gear or you need to do minor melds to hit that stat requirement.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Ok, so I decided to return and get ready for Heavensward. Since I killed Ultima Weapon I kinda got burned out (Summoner + 360 pad = MEH) -- figure I'll try another class now that I'm back.

... How's Dragoon? Back when I quit they were kinda disliked because of how their jump attacks worked.

KiTA wrote: »
    Ok, so I decided to return and get ready for Heavensward. Since I killed Ultima Weapon I kinda got burned out (Summoner + 360 pad = MEH) -- figure I'll try another class now that I'm back.

... How's Dragoon? Back when I quit they were kinda disliked because of how their jump attacks worked.

Dragoon got a bit of love, their jump timing got shortened as did some cooldowns and they removed a few positional requirements. They are pretty much in line with the other melee DPS in terms of usability and damage output. You still need to not be using jump during enemy AoE but you aren't punished as harshly for it as the timings aren't as tight.

Basically if you liked the class before you'll love it now, but the jumps are still very key in the rotation and you need to learn to use them effectively.

delphinidaes.png
    SZrXuv6.png

If anyone asks, I got this book farming Ramuh with Rie for pony.

488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.