As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Finished season 3 of Homeland on Swedistani Netflix, and there's no season 4 available. Gah.

On the subject of geo-fencing, there's some rumbling within EU about legislation requiring the same streamed content to be available to all EU countries.

I dropped my Showtime after the 2nd season. While I liked the show, I have a hard time imagining that the premise could keep going, season after season.

That's been my concern at the end of every season, but its still really good. They wrapped some stuff up that needed to be and moved on to another plot point which is nice.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Finished season 3 of Homeland on Swedistani Netflix, and there's no season 4 available. Gah.

On the subject of geo-fencing, there's some rumbling within EU about legislation requiring the same streamed content to be available to all EU countries.

I dropped my Showtime after the 2nd season. While I liked the show, I have a hard time imagining that the premise could keep going, season after season.

That's been my concern at the end of every season, but its still really good. They wrapped some stuff up that needed to be and moved on to another plot point which is nice.

It helps that Claire Danes is reaaaaally good in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

She's pretty damn amazing at playing bipolar.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    May Netflix Additions:

-Blues Brothers
    -Assassins
    -Animatrix
    -Big Trouble In Little China
    -The Exorcist
    -Blue Velvet
    -Grizzly Man
    -The Exorcist
    -The Professional
    -MIB II
    -North Dallas Forty
    -Payback
    -Super Troopers
    -Wet Hot American Summer
    -National Treasure

• Options
    Oh snap Blues Brothers

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Super Troopers, just in time for the crowd funding to end.

I might have to watch Animatrix again.
    I really love National Treasure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    National Treasure (even the sequel) are good dumb movies and show how well Bruckheimer can polish up dumb things to be good dumb things. Man, if he ever combined with the Fast & Furious franchise, that would be nirvana.

Well, the second NT is dumb, but the first one has a good story and makes history as fun as a non Carmen San Diego show can.

I really wonder why Disney never pushed for another one, they did well financially.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    - Big Trouble in Little China

Good. I have forgotten what Ol' Jack Burton says in times like these.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The check is in the mail.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    .. We're here to fix your phone.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    House of Cards announced to the world that Netflix was really serious about this whole "original programming" thing. Daredevil proved that it was the right decision. While House of Cards is really REALLY good, DD just about the best show "on the air." I would much rather see them spend millions of dollars on original content than on a 20 year old TV show I never cared about or another crappy b rated movie.

That said, their line up of crappy b rated movies are non-existent (at least in NZ).

I just want a whole lot of 80s/90s b action, sci-fi, and horror movies.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I seem to recall profiles were also a feature that "nobody cared about" as well, right up until they tried to cancel it. Maybe I'm misremembering it.

Speaking of profiles, is the WiiU ever getting them?

And remembering how far through a movie/show i am instead of restarting at the beginning each time even though the preview image shows the bar halfway through?

This really bothers me because my WiiU would be my only thing used in my entertainment center if it weren't for the lack of Netflix Profile Support. What gives? They've even given the app major updates, but no profiles. Even the Wii version has Profile support.

@Aphostile do you know if there is anything in the works for WiiU profile support? It's been an outstanding issue since the app came out back around when the console launched.

I have an Xbone hooked up to the TV also, so it's less a problem for me currently, but it was super frustrating after we moved and only had the WiiU going for a while.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

"Rick and Morty"

"...Holy shit."

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    I want crappy old TV shows, too. Like Fame. Watching that series again would cause a joyplosion right in my nostalgia. Hopefully some day.

• Options
    Oh heck, Hulu's got all the Adventure Time I've missed since I dropped cable. Just gotta remember what the last episode I saw was...

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular

She's pretty damn amazing at playing bipolar.

Both Damian Lewis and Claire Danes are suburb at looking like they're spaced out of their minds, Lewis actually acts sweat.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    National Treasure are about some of the best dumb movies ever made. So very entertaining. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Finally saw Leon the Professional, it's been on my watch list for awhile. What a great movie, loved every second of it.

Everyone should see this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIr9MNmCwU

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Finally saw Leon the Professional, it's been on my watch list for awhile. What a great movie, loved every second of it.

I've seen the professional many a times. Remember renting the VHS a couple different nights even. I've never seen "Leon the professional" which is the directors cut that changes the story a little? Should I watch this version as a fan of the original?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    By my understanding there is the original version with a couple of scenes with pedophelic understones and a slightly edited version that cuts that stuff out.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I've seen the professional many a times. Remember renting the VHS a couple different nights even. I've never seen "Leon the professional" which is the directors cut that changes the story a little? Should I watch this version as a fan of the original?

I've seen two different versions, and the only difference I could recall between the two was a couple of scene with him taking Natalie Portman on jobs.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I finished watching Heat last night. Been meaning to watch that for a while. Objectively the best shootout scene in any movie, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQNBg6I29gI

Now I know where the Payday devs got their inspiration.

Edit: This was on Australian Netflix btw. I only noticed it on there 2 days ago, so it may have only just been added.

Dram on
  • Options
    ADVENTURE TIME IS ON HULU TOO

WHAT IS THIS?!

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Sealab and harvey birdman...squeee

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    ADVENTURE TIME IS ON HULU TOO

WHAT IS THIS?!

Rick & Fuckin' Morty, too!

• Options
    Geth is intrigued by Rick & Morty as well, I see.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Geth is intrigued by Rick & Morty as well, I see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5A5Mb__fiA

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    abotkin wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I seem to recall profiles were also a feature that "nobody cared about" as well, right up until they tried to cancel it. Maybe I'm misremembering it.

Speaking of profiles, is the WiiU ever getting them?

And remembering how far through a movie/show i am instead of restarting at the beginning each time even though the preview image shows the bar halfway through?

This really bothers me because my WiiU would be my only thing used in my entertainment center if it weren't for the lack of Netflix Profile Support. What gives? They've even given the app major updates, but no profiles. Even the Wii version has Profile support.

Aphostile do you know if there is anything in the works for WiiU profile support? It's been an outstanding issue since the app came out back around when the console launched.

I have an Xbone hooked up to the TV also, so it's less a problem for me currently, but it was super frustrating after we moved and only had the WiiU going for a while.

Don't have any info for you unfortunately. Sometimes if a feature simply doesn't exist on a single platform, even if it does exist on others, it's due to issues with the manufacturer and implementing our solution.

I really don't know specifically though.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I felt in a horror mood at work today and watched two movies that I have to give an anti-recommendation to.

Mirror is possibly the most boring found footage movie I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot. It had a couple tense creepy scenes, but not nearly enough, and you can see the ending coming from a mile away. It seems like a super indie project by people cutting their teeth on making movies, so I gave it 2 stars just for making me genuinely creeped once or twice.

The Canal, on the other hand, is a fucking trainwreck. None of the scares are good, some even made me laugh out loud. It should end with a splashscreen saying "Did you make it to the end of this because you liked the psychological horror theme/plot? Go watch the Babadook, it's the same idea but actually a great movie, also available on netflix."

Or just a splash screen before the movie saying "don't waste your time, close this piece of garbage and go watch The Babadook"

• Options
    You just reminded me that Babadook hit me as hard as both The Ring and Insidious did when I watched them the first time. Gonna be a while before it gets revisited

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    You just reminded me that Babadook hit me as hard as both The Ring and Insidious did when I watched them the first time. Gonna be a while before it gets revisited

I don't know what's wrong with me, because it did nothing for me. Wasn't scary, or even particularly interesting.

• Options

I don't know what's wrong with me, because it did nothing for me. Wasn't scary, or even particularly interesting.

I wasn't particularly scared by it, but to me it was creepy enough, and I was just excited to have a horror movie with an intriguing plot rather than "I dunno, there's ghosts and shit, we just need a reason to give you some jump scares" that most horror movies are these days.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm also in a horror mood and I already watched The Babadook, so I finally checked out the pilot episode of American Horror Story.

Yep, that sure is a fucked up thing. But also intriguing, so I'll watch more.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm also in a horror mood and I already watched The Babadook, so I finally checked out the pilot episode of American Horror Story.

Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty good

Haven't gotten around to check out 3 yet

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

1 was great. 2 was good, but different in a way that just didn't click with me at the end. 3 was bad, so very bad that I gave up and don't regret it.

• Options

It's worth noting that I am a huge wuss with the more pyschological type of horror movie :p

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Blerg, I'm on one of those chains where everything I pick tonight , gets about 1-2 episodes in and " We're having trouble playing this title, please select another" so I do, and I get an episode or two in, and "We're having trouble..."

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    On Netflix UK I've been watching these Channel 4 documentary shows, Educating Essex and Educating Yorkshire (they're up on youtube too, with swedish subtitles). It's pretty good at showing how a modern high school life looks in middle to lower class schools, even if apparently everyone in the UK looks 5 years younger than their corresponding grade would be.

God, everyone looks like such twats, the boys with both their ears pierced and shaved head to show they're all right and hard, yeah, and the girls with their shaved eyebrows and big bleach blonde hair. What I think the episodes show more realistic and scary than anything is how nasty the girls can be to one another just for no reason. Each series has a girl who is nice and sweet and really smart who the other hens just basically attack for no reason and you see them carry that shock on their face. And now with social media, I'm just glad that didn't exist in a pre 2006 world.

It's just fascinating to watch, since no one, outside of one kid, is really pandering or performing to the cameras that are placed everywhere, so it feels much more real than anything the US has tried to do on the subject.

• Options

So far I'm not liking the present day evens in Season 2. But the past events are pretty good.

Move to New Zealand