Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Gay epithets in Penny Arcade

12467

Posts

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Well, I started my war for my personal rights when I was 20. I tried taking my life and two other people's. After being hospitalized, I began robbing people to gain a sense of power. I served three years in prison. Now I draw and paint for my personal therapy.
    Do you understand that being gay is a daily thing? I don't get a break from the world. It's not something you "get over".

    It sounds like you have a problem with being gay itself.

    In fact, you remind me of the militantly anti-gay father in American Beauty, who eventually ends up murdering a guy because he came onto him and was rejected.

    I mean...I know heaps of gay people. They are all happy people.

    It sounds like the reason you had all this happen to you is because you have a problem with the fact that you're gay.

    "Do you understand that being gay is a daily thing?"
    Do you understand that having AIDS is a daily thing?
    Do you understand that being schizophrenic is a daily thing?

    See the parallel? You're likening it to a bad thing. and THAT is where your problem lies.

    Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    gabe

    hehe

    gay-be

    huhuhuh. "Gabe Ruth".

  • edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Again, really, it comes down to context. When someone says "fag" here in D&D, we can tell which way they're using it. If they sling it with malicious intent, they will catch shit. They will get infracted. People here say "fag" all the time. And make gay jokes. And dick jokes. And more gay jokes.

    Listen, I can't really explain to you the social dynamics of this forum, or an understanding of the context in which Gabe and Tycho say "faggot."

    I used to identify as gay, now I identify as bi, but nowhere along the line did I have any particular aversion to the words "gay" or "faggot."

    I have an aversion to the meaning some people put into those words, that can only be put into those words. By building up certain words into monuments of intolerance, you grant them more power, such that they are offensive even when decontextualized or contextualized in an inoffensive setting. This is not doing a service to the people such epithets are aimed at.

  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    You are right, though. I do choose to be offended. That's part of what lead to my post.

    Solution: Choose not to be offended.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So you want people to acknowledge your homosexuality?


    I don't really understand the logic behind that. Sexual preference has no place outside of who you have your relationship with.

    I don't want people constantly acknowledging I am straight, because it is unneccesary.


    If you are talking about the use of the word "Gay", well, when it comes down it it "Gay" initially meant "Happy", and homosexuals adopted it, possibly thinking it would mean they are happy or something.
    It became negatively connotated, and straight guys simply re-adopted it, using it to bring across its negative connotation, not neccesarily implying something is gay, just using the negative feeling behind the word.

    sig-1.jpg
  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Hey, wait. They don't use "homo". At least, I'm reasonably sure.


    Also, I can't find the "apple users are gay" one. And the XBL one... ...

    If I attribute a phrase to a horrible horrible person, it rarely means I like what that person is saying. If, for instance, I were to say "God I am tired of getting on XBL and having three people call me a 'fag' in quick succession", you wouldn't tell me I was being homophobic, would you?

    I'm not sure I follow you, but... My older brother is straight, and he uses the word gay to describe things that are stupid. He only does it around his friends (though he did say it accidentally in my presence once). He doesn't hate gays, but gays (and gay sex) are foreign to him. The root of fear is not knowing - so yes, he is probably homophobic. That doesn't mean I like him any less.

    .....are you proposing that homophobes just need some deep dicking?

    If it came to your mind, then I guess it's what YOU are thinking. Gay sex is not for everybody - obviously. That's why we have the expression "bi-curious".

  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Church wrote: »
    If you are so caught up on words that you don't care to consider the intent of the person using them, then you deserve whatever pain you cause yourself.

    Of course. Intent is very important, and I suspect there's both a large group that uses the term ironically, but there's also a large group that uses it in its fully loaded homophobic glory. I suspect that a large number of people in D&D are a part of the former group. I have no idea about the other forums here. I strongly suspect that Gabe and Tycho are also in the former group, so I tend not to care.

    When I concluded my initial post, I pointed out that being neutral doesn't help people. Being apathetic and not caring are just as responsible for pain. I understand if you don't care - move on.

    I suspect that you have an unhealthy set of moral impulses that causes you to become upset at things that otherwise would cause you no distress. An extreme analogy would be the Pakistani father who brutally murders his daughter because she had the audacity to sully his honor by getting raped. This simply is not a healthy reaction to the stimuli.

    I don't care because the words do no harm to me, or anyone. In the context of the people who commonly read them, drama queens and similar humorless outliers excepted, people realize that ironic profane language is only making fun of bigots.

    Being incensed at every reference only marginalizes you further.

    2ezikn6.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Wait, do homo and gay count as epithets? I mean, queer and faggot and fairy yeah. But I've never heard someone call a homosexual gay when they were trying to insult them.
    Actually, I believe "queer" was the PC term for a homosexual for quite some time. It's only derogatory when used in a derogatory fashion (unlike "faggot").
    Queer is generally used by self-hating gays. It is a common condition. I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.
    You may be gay, but you're wrong about this. "Queer" is a perfectly acceptable term for homosexuality.

  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    So you want people to acknowledge your homosexuality?


    I don't really understand the logic behind that. Sexual preference has no place outside of who you have your relationship with.

    I don't want people constantly acknowledging I am straight, because it is unneccesary.


    If you are talking about the use of the word "Gay", well, when it comes down it it "Gay" initially meant "Happy", and homosexuals adopted it, possibly thinking it would mean they are happy or something.
    It became negatively connotated, and straight guys simply re-adopted it, using it to bring across its negative connotation, not neccesarily implying something is gay, just using the negative feeling behind the word.

    If you feel sexuality has no place outside of my relationship, then why condone straight people kissing, holding hands, or expressing their affection in public. Life would be boring if people had to keep their loves in the closet.

  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Honestly dude, get over yourself. Tolerance is great if you're actually persecuted, but if you start crying because some guys on a website that make a comic that you like happen to use the word "faggot" in a completely different context and connotation than the one you use to describe yourself and your orienation, then your whining is just making it more difficult for those of us who have to deal with actual persecution - which can, amazingly enough, be a lot more brutal than someone calling you names on the internet.

    Just using common sense you could probably tell that Tycho and Gabe are actually pretty good at keeping their stuff racially and sexually non-offensive, and they're both pretty genuinely caring people to boot. And if you did email them about your concerns, they probably would apologize for whatever slight they've cause you, imagined or not. But they shouldn't have to, because you really should have gotten over this on your own.

  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Wait, do homo and gay count as epithets? I mean, queer and faggot and fairy yeah. But I've never heard someone call a homosexual gay when they were trying to insult them.
    Actually, I believe "queer" was the PC term for a homosexual for quite some time. It's only derogatory when used in a derogatory fashion (unlike "faggot").
    Queer is generally used by self-hating gays. It is a common condition. I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.
    You may be gay, but you're wrong about this. "Queer" is a perfectly acceptable term for homosexuality.

    It's hard to debate that. Within the gay community there is a divide over the usage of queer. I don't think it's fair to say it's usage is completely positive or negative. I'm speaking in generalities. Queer expresses anger and is self-empowering to many gays.

  • edited October 2007
    Seriously, kong, you will not get rid of these words.

    Lost. Cause.

    But what you are doing is trying to build them up into these larger-than-life monstrosities of intolerance -- you are making them embodiments of all anti-homosexual intolerance there is. You are supplying the people who hate you with tools to express that hate.

  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Hey, wait. They don't use "homo". At least, I'm reasonably sure.


    Also, I can't find the "apple users are gay" one. And the XBL one... ...

    If I attribute a phrase to a horrible horrible person, it rarely means I like what that person is saying. If, for instance, I were to say "God I am tired of getting on XBL and having three people call me a 'fag' in quick succession", you wouldn't tell me I was being homophobic, would you?

    I'm not sure I follow you, but... My older brother is straight, and he uses the word gay to describe things that are stupid. He only does it around his friends (though he did say it accidentally in my presence once). He doesn't hate gays, but gays (and gay sex) are foreign to him. The root of fear is not knowing - so yes, he is probably homophobic. That doesn't mean I like him any less.

    .....are you proposing that homophobes just need some deep dicking?

    If it came to your mind, then I guess it's what YOU are thinking. Gay sex is not for everybody - obviously. That's why we have the expression "bi-curious".

    Woah, I didn't notice you actually responded to me. No no, what I mean is: if I say "So then Pol Pot said 'You're a fag, Durandal'", you would not say to me "Durandal! I am appaled that you would use that slur against me. Stop being homophobic."

    Because that would be crazy, I rarely if ever have endorsed Pol Pot's policies or opinions. Why would something attributed to him reflect on me?

    The average XBL jackass isn't someone Gabe and Tycho and Mr. Period want you to admire. They want you to scorn him.

  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    I agree with Incenjucar again. If this thread continues, the internets may very well explode.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Again, really, it comes down to context. When someone says "fag" here in D&D, we can tell which way they're using it. If they sling it with malicious intent, they will catch shit. They will get infracted. People here say "fag" all the time. And make gay jokes. And dick jokes. And more gay jokes.

    Listen, I can't really explain to you the social dynamics of this forum, or an understanding of the context in which Gabe and Tycho say "faggot."

    I used to identify as gay, now I identify as bi, but nowhere along the line did I have any particular aversion to the words "gay" or "faggot."

    I have an aversion to the meaning some people put into those words, that can only be put into those words. By building up certain words into monuments of intolerance, you grant them more power, such that they are offensive even when decontextualized or contextualized in an inoffensive setting. This is not doing a service to the people such epithets are aimed at.

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Seriously, kong, you will not get rid of these words.

    Lost. Cause.

    But what you are doing is trying to build them up into these larger-than-life monstrosities of intolerance -- you are making them embodiments of all anti-homosexual intolerance there is. You are supplying the people who hate you with tools to express that hate.

    Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Church wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    I agree with Incenjucar again. If this thread continues, the internets may very well explode.

    In the name of pasty white guys everywhere, I'm reclaiming honky.

  • edited October 2007
    Jesus I'm glad someone finally noticed.

    (that was @Dhalphir)

  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Honestly dude, get over yourself. Tolerance is great if you're actually persecuted, but if you start crying because some guys on a website that make a comic that you like happen to use the word "faggot" in a completely different context and connotation than the one you use to describe yourself and your orienation, then your whining is just making it more difficult for those of us who have to deal with actual persecution - which can, amazingly enough, be a lot more brutal than someone calling you names on the internet.

    Just using common sense you could probably tell that Tycho and Gabe are actually pretty good at keeping their stuff racially and sexually non-offensive, and they're both pretty genuinely caring people to boot. And if you did email them about your concerns, they probably would apologize for whatever slight they've cause you, imagined or not. But they shouldn't have to, because you really should have gotten over this on your own.

    First, being gay is not an orientation.

    I like Tycho and Gabe. I like Penny Arcade. I made me laugh. That doesn't mean I should ignore the use of an epithet in their writing - whatever their intent. Besides, everybody who contributes to this thread is in fact helping me "get over it". Thanks

  • AndrewMacAndrewMac Registered User
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Church wrote: »

    I was conscripted to fight a war when I was nine.

    That kind of thing doesn't end. I'm still fighting my own war whenever I close my eyes.

    But I didn't choose to go to war. You, in a proverbial sense, did, and the quickest way to end a war is to lose.

    Well, I started my war for my personal rights when I was 20. I tried taking my life and two other people's. After being hospitalized, I began robbing people to gain a sense of power. I served three years in prison. Now I draw and paint for my personal therapy.
    Do you understand that being gay is a daily thing? I don't get a break from the world. It's not something you "get over".


    wow. you have problems. being gay is not one of them.

    but I'd say that you not being comfortable with the fact that you are is.

    edit: this place posts too fast

  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    So you want people to acknowledge your homosexuality?


    I don't really understand the logic behind that. Sexual preference has no place outside of who you have your relationship with.

    I don't want people constantly acknowledging I am straight, because it is unneccesary.


    If you are talking about the use of the word "Gay", well, when it comes down it it "Gay" initially meant "Happy", and homosexuals adopted it, possibly thinking it would mean they are happy or something.
    It became negatively connotated, and straight guys simply re-adopted it, using it to bring across its negative connotation, not neccesarily implying something is gay, just using the negative feeling behind the word.

    If you feel sexuality has no place outside of my relationship, then why condone straight people kissing, holding hands, or expressing their affection in public. Life would be boring if people had to keep their loves in the closet.

    That is still within your relationship. Going into a job interview and introducing yourself as gay really should not occur. Assuming you follow many workplaces rules, relationship based affairs should stay out of the workplace.


    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    sig-1.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    You do realize that homoeroticism fuels a good bit of the interplay and humor, right? Not to mention the inanity of actually being offended by epithets that aren't being directed at you personally. Even then it's rather idiotic to be pissed off at being called gay by a jackass rather than just being pissed at the jackass.

    There's nothing erotic - homo or otherwise - about Penny Arcade (at least what I've read). An epithet doesn't have to be directed at me to be offensive to me.
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    By erotic I mean sexually arousing. The humor in Penny Arcade can be obscene and pornographic but not necessarily arousing.

    How do you not understand what homoeroticism means? I mean, I realize that you aren't a linguist, but you might want to look into becoming more familiar with the english language. Here's a hint, there's an undercurrent of homosexual attraction between Gabe and Tycho which drives some/most of the interactions between them and makes the jokes even more funny. Well, that and the watch.

    As to choosing to be offended by an epithet's existence, well I don't know what to tell you other than life sucks.

    It sucks long and hard. :winky:

    tea-1.jpg
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'm supposed to be helping?

    Spoiler:
  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Church wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    I agree with Incenjucar again. If this thread continues, the internets may very well explode.

    In the name of pasty white guys everywhere, I'm reclaiming honky.

    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

  • edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    First, being gay is not an orientation.

    That's...that's a weird thing to say.

    I...I want to know if you're actually saying that being gay is a choice, but at the same time I've already expressed my horror at the prospect.

    I know what you proffer is madness, and yet I am drawn inexplicably to it.

    Are...are you Cthulu?

  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »

    First, being gay is not an orientation.

    Back that up with reasoning and evidence or take your crap somewhere else. Being a member of a minority does not allow you to dictate changes to how the rest of society identifies you.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar QA Tester -> Game Producer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

    Because prison and not-prison are the exact same thing.

    Especially outside of actual ghettos.

    Seriously dude, move to a more liberal area.

    freefallagentad_zps635a83ed.png
  • edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Church wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    I agree with Incenjucar again. If this thread continues, the internets may very well explode.

    In the name of pasty white guys everywhere, I'm reclaiming honky.

    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

    The fact that he doesn't like ghettoes is because they keep minorities in the fucking ghetto, you stubborn cunt.

    Good. Fucking. God.

    Preventing integration is not a good thing.

    And, really, dude, buttfucking is not a new or scary phenomenon to anyone here.

  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007
    wrote:

    That is still within your relationship. Going into a job interview and introducing yourself as gay really should not occur. Assuming you follow many workplaces rules, relationship based affairs should stay out of the workplace.


    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    I am an artist and I work out of my home studio. I do that because after years of being a graphic artist and listening to straight co-workers talk about their kids and their wives, I got tired and moved to a job where I was boss and set my own rules. Yay me.

  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007

    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    I hate the misplaced guilt people have over being disquieted over the minorly socially aberrant behavior. I'm personally about as repulsed by the "I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiis gay, darling!" crowd as I am by the "IT'S TIME TO CHUG SOME BREWSKIES AND LOOK AT SOME MAD TITTIES YO!" crowd. The moment your genitals and the direction that they point are shoved in my face, I become anti-whatever-the-hell-you-are.

  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Church wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    I use queer because it denotes rebellion and anger. It doesn't give a non-gay person the right to use it.

    Ah. Okay. Fuck you.

    The "its our word" thing is one of the stupidest, most ghettoizing concepts in the goddamn world.

    Stoppit.

    I agree with Incenjucar again. If this thread continues, the internets may very well explode.

    In the name of pasty white guys everywhere, I'm reclaiming honky.

    The three years I spent in prison, I was never allowed to use the N word. I was also not "allowed" to convert to Islam because it "belonged" to the blacks in prison. Ghettoes exist whether you like it or not. The fact that you don't like ghettoes just suggests that you are one of the comfortable majority that doesn't understand minority struggles.

    So I can't tell if you're condoning the fact that you couldn't convert to Islam or use the N-word, or angry that it happened and are deciding that it's time us breeders stopped using your word.

  • edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    wrote:

    That is still within your relationship. Going into a job interview and introducing yourself as gay really should not occur. Assuming you follow many workplaces rules, relationship based affairs should stay out of the workplace.


    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    I am an artist and I work out of my home studio. I do that because after years of being a graphic artist and listening to straight co-workers talk about their kids and their wives, I got tired and moved to a job where I was boss and set my own rules. Yay me.

    Oh my god you're one of those people.

    Stick a fork in this thread guys, I'm pretty sure it's done.

  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    wrote:

    That is still within your relationship. Going into a job interview and introducing yourself as gay really should not occur. Assuming you follow many workplaces rules, relationship based affairs should stay out of the workplace.


    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    I am an artist and I work out of my home studio. I do that because after years of being a graphic artist and listening to straight co-workers talk about their kids and their wives, I got tired and moved to a job where I was boss and set my own rules. Yay me.

    Do you paint naked men?

    Spoiler:
  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007

    The fact that he doesn't like ghettoes is because they keep minorities in the fucking ghetto, you stubborn cunt.

    Good. Fucking. God.

    Preventing integration is not a good thing.

    And, really, dude, buttfucking is not a new or scary phenomenon to anyone here.

    Ghettoes exist because the outside majority often excludes minorities from social advancement. Nobody is forcing a race or group of people to live together - they choose to; for support. Integration would be great bigots didn't still run things.

  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    From my memory, this comic only really ever uses 'gay' or 'fag' in the context of making fun of the state of online play. As in if Gabe or Tycho was playing Xbox Live, they might make a comic about how someone will call them a "mexican jew fag" or some other nonsensical expletive.


    This thread is gay.

    Has anyone done that joke yet?

    Theft 4 Bread
  • kongpl8kongpl8 __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2007

    Do you paint naked men?

    Duh. Did you go to the link in my profile?

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    Honestly dude, get over yourself. Tolerance is great if you're actually persecuted, but if you start crying because some guys on a website that make a comic that you like happen to use the word "faggot" in a completely different context and connotation than the one you use to describe yourself and your orienation, then your whining is just making it more difficult for those of us who have to deal with actual persecution - which can, amazingly enough, be a lot more brutal than someone calling you names on the internet.

    Just using common sense you could probably tell that Tycho and Gabe are actually pretty good at keeping their stuff racially and sexually non-offensive, and they're both pretty genuinely caring people to boot. And if you did email them about your concerns, they probably would apologize for whatever slight they've cause you, imagined or not. But they shouldn't have to, because you really should have gotten over this on your own.

    First, being gay is not an orientation.

    I like Tycho and Gabe. I like Penny Arcade. I made me laugh. That doesn't mean I should ignore the use of an epithet in their writing - whatever their intent. Besides, everybody who contributes to this thread is in fact helping me "get over it". Thanks

    As someone who also happens to have sex and relationships with members of their own gender, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

    And if you want to fight for your rights and actually make a difference, instead of just wasting yours and everyone else's time, you need to fight effectively. As much as I'd like to write diatribes about every black and chinese stereotype I see that's offensive to my racial background, the rest of the world, and especially the internet, only cares so much about your cause, whether it's just or unjust. They'll accomodate you to an extent, and after that you're going to have to compromise.

    So ask yourself: is this really where you want to be spending your goodwill? I'm going to tell you now it's a limited resource, as horribly unfair as that might be.

  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

    And yes, If I saw two gay guys making out I would be weirded out. It is not a facet of life I am used to. But even so, when I see a straight couple getting into it I get weirded out.

    I hate the misplaced guilt people have over being disquieted over really bizarre behavior. I'm personally about as repulsed by the "I am thiiiiiiiiiiiiis gay, darling!" crowd as I am by the "IT'S TIME TO CHUG SOME BREWSKIES AND LOOK AT SOME MAD TITTIES YO!" crowd. The moment your genitals and the direction that they point are shoved in my face, I become anti-whatever-the-hell-you-are.

    This is true. Respectful behavior is needed regardless of what side you're on.

    Also, I'd rather acknowledge a prejudice than do that "I don't see color" BS. Of course I think gay people, black people, women, and people who enjoy racing games are odd. They aren't me. Acknowledging that is the first step to not allowing it to influence your judgments as much.

  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    kongpl8 wrote: »
    First, being gay is not an orientation.

    That's...that's a weird thing to say.

    I...I want to know if you're actually saying that being gay is a choice, but at the same time I've already expressed my horror at the prospect.

    I know what you proffer is madness, and yet I am drawn inexplicably to it.

    Are...are you Cthulu?

    I spit my milk through my nose at his, for serious.

    Also the OPer is monstrously annoying and unreasonably over-sensitive. You are without compromise and give no credence to the way the world works. Its not all about you, your ego is the problem here not Penny Arcade's occasional use of 'gay' as a negative insult.

    Also this thread is totally gay.

This discussion has been closed.