As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread of Spoilers of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire (Thread is dark & full of grues)

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    My whole issue with Grey Worm/Missandei is that it feels like it's part of a separate story. It may be a fine story but I'm not sure it really belongs in this show. Dany already has the feel of a side story but at least the themes are consistent. GW/M is a side story to the side story about things that are pretty much not addressed elsewhere in the story.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    When Stannis said "Fewer." my hear melted.

Stannis King! King Stannis!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    When Stannis said "Fewer." my hear melted.

Stannis King! King Stannis!

The King who Cared! (about grammar)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This show keeps killing off living book characters. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Show Stannis is really growing on me this seasons; the slight nod to Jon, the speech he gives to his daughter, the hug right after that, correcting people's grammar...

Really hope that he doesn't bite it when trying to take Winterfell.

Also I am very interested to see what his reaction is going to be to Melisandre and Selyse wanting to burn his daughter.

Thorn413 on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Blendtec wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Didn't Hizdahr propose in the books, rather than the way it played out in this episode?

If they want to have Dany be a more forceful ruler, the way they did in the show works better.

It makes her fall better too, if it's her ideas that end up not working out. They're doing a good job with the parallels between Jon and Dany, both are surrounded by people who want to use them, and are making hard decisions on their own. Both will fail, but for different reasons.

Speaking of Jon, they're really building up R+L=J. Aemon's line "A Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing", Jon immediately enters. I'm calling it now, next season opens with another flashback, this one from Bran greenseeing. They build up R+L this whole season, then confirm it to open next season. Brings Bran back into the story in a big way and ties up a loose end.

I'm a little worried that Mel went with Stannis, but I'm still fairly confident she'll play a hand in Jon's resurrection still. More speculation, and I hate to say it, but Stannis is going to die sooner rather than later. Shireen gets burned alive in an effort to resurrect "Azor Ahai", but it ends up being Jon.

Hey, I'm not sure if I just got spoilered?

AFAIK Dany hasn't fallen yet, unless you mean something different, or there is some leaked information. If we are talking about things that happen in books that aren't published, that should be spoiler tagged as such, if I'm just misunderstanding, my bad!

On Stannis: I know, I like Stannis now too (I also grew to like him in the books, which tells me he's died, horribly...) If I follow GRRM to his natural conclusion, the end of the book will be the world getting saved by Ramsay Snow, and his commander Robert Strong.

On Show Spoilers: I'm starting to get worried, I don't want to get spoiled on something important without knowing that I'm seeing something important. And if the show knows the critical peices of the book, but I like the book, does that mean I should stop watching the show like.. now? A few things that have kind of been spoiled on me now by the show are (and conversation in this particular thread are):

- Stoneheart doesn't matter
    - Jon Snow gets resurrected (I mean, I kind of thought there was a chance he was coming back, but I don't like that I know that's true before anything is published at all to confirm it)
    - Tyrion turns into a dragon and eats the world (ok, made that one up)

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    At the end of Dance of Dragons:
    Daney is in the middle of the wilderness after riding away on Drogon. She is found by another Khal to unknown results.

So that can definitely be described as a fall.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    Show Stannis is really growing on me this seasons; the slight nod to Jon, the speech he gives to his daughter, the hug right after that, correcting people's grammar...

Really hope that he doesn't bite it when trying to take Winterfell.

Also I am very interested to see what his reaction is going to be to Melisandre and Selyse wanting to burn his daughter.

I hope show Stannis orders Davos to keep her safe instead of Davos acting on his own (again).

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Didn't Hizdahr propose in the books, rather than the way it played out in this episode?

If they want to have Dany be a more forceful ruler, the way they did in the show works better.

It makes her fall better too, if it's her ideas that end up not working out. They're doing a good job with the parallels between Jon and Dany, both are surrounded by people who want to use them, and are making hard decisions on their own. Both will fail, but for different reasons.

Speaking of Jon, they're really building up R+L=J. Aemon's line "A Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing", Jon immediately enters. I'm calling it now, next season opens with another flashback, this one from Bran greenseeing. They build up R+L this whole season, then confirm it to open next season. Brings Bran back into the story in a big way and ties up a loose end.

I'm a little worried that Mel went with Stannis, but I'm still fairly confident she'll play a hand in Jon's resurrection still. More speculation, and I hate to say it, but Stannis is going to die sooner rather than later. Shireen gets burned alive in an effort to resurrect "Azor Ahai", but it ends up being Jon.

AFAIK Dany hasn't fallen yet, unless you mean something different, or there is some leaked information. If we are talking about things that happen in books that aren't published, that should be spoiler tagged as such, if I'm just misunderstanding, my bad!

On Stannis: I know, I like Stannis now too (I also grew to like him in the books, which tells me he's died, horribly...) If I follow GRRM to his natural conclusion, the end of the book will be the world getting saved by Ramsay Snow, and his commander Robert Strong.

On Show Spoilers: I'm starting to get worried, I don't want to get spoiled on something important without knowing that I'm seeing something important. And if the show knows the critical peices of the book, but I like the book, does that mean I should stop watching the show like.. now? A few things that have kind of been spoiled on me now by the show are (and conversation in this particular thread are):

- Stoneheart doesn't matter
    - Jon Snow gets resurrected (I mean, I kind of thought there was a chance he was coming back, but I don't like that I know that's true before anything is published at all to confirm it)
    - Tyrion turns into a dragon and eats the world (ok, made that one up)

The only way to avoid spoilers or implied spoilers to the books is to stop watching the show at this point, yep

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Daney is in the middle of the wilderness after riding away on Drogon. She is found by another Khal to unknown results.

In general, the lead up to that. The Sons of the Harpy get worse for a while, the dragons get freed, Mereen is under siege from everyone else in Essos, Pale Mare. All of that is her fall, she thinks she's doing well controlling the city, but all she really does it make it worse for everyone else.

As for Jon, we don't know he's going to get resurrected, it's just generally assumed. Some people WANT Jon to be dead, if only because him coming back would feel cheap/cliched, but I think that's a minority.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    thanks for the explanations, yes, that makes sense

Is anyone else surprised we've seen nothing of Bran this season? Will he be recast in the future? His story gets pretty deep after relocating to the tree.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Is anyone else surprised we've seen nothing of Bran this season? Will he be recast in the future? His story gets pretty deep after relocating to the tree.

No Bran this season has been known since before the season aired. He's pretty much caught up to where he is in the books at this point. So long as he doesn't have to move in his new position, they can probably keep the same actor and hide how huge he's gotten compared to season 1.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

There are no scenes with Bran this season, as was revealed during shooting last year.

So yeah, his stuff is a big deal, but none of it directly influences current goings on at this point.

Would be cool for him to get his moment traveling through time via the trees though, but it would involve bringing some actors back for cameo / flashback purposes.

They did it with Khal Drogo.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that
    directly feeding people to your dragons is going to help much with the problem of them randomly eating people up. Which is why they've been locked up in the first place.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm not sure that
    directly feeding people to your dragons is going to help much with the problem of them randomly eating people up. Which is why they've been locked up in the first place.

ehh

she's gotta use those dragons for war anyway, maybe teaching them to only eat humans when you present them to them is better so they depend on you instead of randomly claiming them

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure that

This is why Dany should have had a dog before trying to train dragons

I mean, this is learned behavior 101 girl, now they've tasted human food they're not going to eat their kibble

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    its not like you can bring them to the vet when they eat something they shouldn't and get diarrhea Dany

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    So to be positive for a change the scene where Tyrion first sees a living dragon was pretty cool.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that

ehh

she's gotta use those dragons for war anyway, maybe teaching them to only eat humans when you present them to them is better so they depend on you instead of randomly claiming them

The scene also reminds the kind masters that the Dragons exist, and in a way that hides the fact she can't control them anymore.

• Options
    I'm not sure that

ehh

My friend had a similar reaction to some about the feeding and I pointed out that she's not planning on using the dragons as parade mounts.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The point would be more that it's a failure of her stab at leadership. Her entire plan to rule Mereen justly and all that completely fails at basically every level.

As I've said before, the likely outcome of all this is Dany decides this peace and justice thing is bullshit and goes back to the old Fire and Blood, regains control of a Mongol Horde and alot of ships and returns to Westeros a much more troubling ruler.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that

ehh

The scene also reminds the kind masters that the Dragons exist, and in a way that hides the fact she can't control them anymore.

She wasn't trying to hide that at all. She literally said that they may or may not listen to her. She was comparing them to her unruly children and showing how she punishes such behavior.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I'm not sure that

ehh

She wasn't trying to hide that at all. She literally said that they may or may not listen to her. She was comparing them to her unruly children and showing how she punishes such behavior.

I was disappointed she didn't compare that to the noble families and how she wants them to get their 'children' under control. How she's not going to give up on them so quickly just because they are unruly.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The issue I have with changing the proposal is... Hizdahr's behind the whole plot and basically seeking to make himself King of Mereen. If they don't change that, the plot... doesn't really make sense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Meereenese Blot guy makes a pretty convincing case for Hizdahr not being behind much of anything.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The issue I have with changing the proposal is... Hizdahr's behind the whole plot and basically seeking to make himself King of Mereen. If they don't change that, the plot... doesn't really make sense.

I think they must be changing that. In the dragon scene Dany clearly made up her mind that he wasn't involved with the Harpys. The way that guy has been playing it in the show so far it would be a feat of acting for him to suddenly appear credibly as the mastermind behind it all.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The Meereenese Blot guy makes a pretty convincing case for Hizdahr not being behind much of anything.

The poisoned honeyed locusts were a red herring?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

The poisoned honeyed locusts were a red herring?

They were poisoned, but we don't know by who. The Blot's author points out that the supposed confession by the man who did the poisoning was gained by the Shavepate, a character with a reputation for torture. Every poisoning we've read to date involves a patsy being involved while Loraq being the culprit would be very, very clumsy and straightforward in comparison. And the evidence and testimony against Loraq almost all comes from the Shavepate who hates the other noble families and wants war with them.

So it may not be as cut and dry as it seems when we first read things no matter how much we cheered on Selmy and the Beasts.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    They were poisoned, but we don't know by who.

by whom

/stannis

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

by whom

/stannis

Touche.

Also: GoT 5.5

"They killed Grenn and Pyp"
    "What have the writers got to do with this?"

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    These are pretty much my favorite thing about the show now
    "They killed Grenn and Pyp!"

edit: How did I totally miss the post above mine...

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Time to be that motherfucker in every zombie movie.

So does this mean the white mare is getting replaced by grey scale in Mereen? Not pleased that this is Jorah's fate, I've always pulled for him to shape up and become the queen's man he was meant to be.

• Options
    They're probably skipping the white mare.

I also have a feeling that they're going to give the Battle of Meereen the good ol' Green Fork treatment. Dragon CGI is expensive, after all, and they've got a perfectly good dragonless battle about to happen at or near Winterfell.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    They're probably skipping the white mare.

I doubt that. Jorah has to take his plague somewhere, and he happens to be on the road to Mereen already. I think it's more likely that it never reaches Westeros, since there is no Aegon to drive it across the sea.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    *pale mare*

/Stannis

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

by whom

/stannis

Touche.

Also: GoT 5.5

"They killed Grenn and Pyp"

I died at #notallmasters

• Options
    Old Targaryen saying and the ginger protection clause got me.

To be serious a bit:
    I hope like hell they don't have Aemon leave the wall to go join up with Dany. He refused the crown a couple times before and actually took the black because if he hung around he'd undermine the actual grand maester. For him to turn away from all of that at the end cause he feels bad for Dany would be so weird.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If anything of actual importance happens to Aemon it will be his death. IIRC, didn't Jon send Sam to go get Maester training in the books precisely because Aemon was old and it was past time to start grooming his replacement?

• Options
    If anything of actual importance happens to Aemon it will be his death. IIRC, didn't Jon send Sam to go get Maester training in the books precisely because Aemon was old and it was past time to start grooming his replacement?

Well, it was mostly because Jon was afraid that Melisandre was going to burn Aemon and/or Mance's baby.

• Options

Well, it was mostly because Jon was afraid that Melisandre was going to burn Aemon and/or Mance's baby.

I remember that now, so I guess getting the next Castle Black Maester all official was just kind of a bonus?

I really need to re-read these books sometime.