As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game series you think should be revived.

• Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CHRONO TRIGGER
    Anyone remember the people who were remaking Chrono Trigger in 3d? Man I wish they didn't shut them down like they did :( Thats what I want, CT in 3D! Maybe Voice Acting? Though, im sure they would figure a way to make it suck... If you ask me CT is probably the best game ever made.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    widowson wrote: »
    Duke Nukem 3D was an awesome game. They should really make a sequel to it!

On a serious note, Diablo 3 and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2 are the two biggest on my list now that Starcraft 2 is a reality.

Diablo 3 doesn't = Hellgate London.

SMAC2? I think they want to, but it's license issues or something.

Fixed

Hellgate London will be a great game but it's not Diablo 3

Lothars on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I agree with most of the games that have been mentioned and I'll show my age by tossing a bunch of old MicroProse titles in here...

- Airborne Ranger
    - Darklands
    - The Legacy
    - Master of Magic
    - SubWar 2050

Also...

- Betrayal at Krondor
    - Alien Breed
    - Beneath a Steel Sky
    - Descent
    - Dungeon Master
    - Terminal Velocity
    - Ultima Underworld

Seriously, I wish devs would just rob the tomb that is DOS gaming and remake the games for XBLA.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CHRONO TRIGGER
    Anyone remember the people who were remaking Chrono Trigger in 3d? Man I wish they didn't shut them down like they did :( Thats what I want, CT in 3D! Maybe Voice Acting? Though, im sure they would figure a way to make it suck... If you ask me CT is probably the best game ever made.

Honestly, I liked CT when I first played a few years after release, when I was like 13 or so. Tried playing it again a couple years ago, and couldn't figure out what I ever saw in that game. Then again in the past 10 years Ive grown away from playing JRPGs at all, they just don't do anything for me anymore.

What Square needs to remake though, is Einhander.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    my kingdom for a road rash

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bioinc Commando! Wait.... no, that's coming. I'll second a Road Rash and raise you all a Bushido Blade.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Bioinc Commando! Wait.... no, that's coming. I'll second a Road Rash and raise you all a Bushido Blade.

Bushido Blade is still around.

Just... well...

Sheep on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Crusader: No Remorse. Let's bring back the Silencer.

ihd on
  • Options
    chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CHRONO TRIGGER
    Anyone remember the people who were remaking Chrono Trigger in 3d?

It's worth noting they weren't actually remaking Chrono Trigger in 3D. They were merely remaking 10 specific scenes of CT to get some buzz going about their proprietary game engine.

chevluh on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We need some crusader on XBLA.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man, Tomba would be fucking perfect for the PSP.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

Bushido Blade is still around.

Just... well...

Do. Not. Go. There.

Please, just do... I mean , no.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thread search found nothing, so I'm gong to say Anachronox. I loved just about everything in that game, and it was terrible to see Tom Hall finally get to lead a big team, only to end up being unable to finish his epic planned trilogy, and going back to making much smaller 2D games for pocket PCs. I think a good step in that direction would be rereleasing Anachronox for a handheld system. As much as I'd like it on the DS, it's more likely that a PSP port would be possible.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Master of Magic

Period. Full stop.

Okay, more now:

Pack Rat
    Discs of Tron (would be perfect for Wii, yes?)
    Ikari Warriors
    Gauntlet (go back to top-down, bitches)

Edit: Going to second Darklands. Man, that game rocked, and was the most realistic RPG I'd ever played to date. Plus you got to fight the beast with 7 heads and 10 horns at the end.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ihd wrote: »
    Crusader: No Remorse. Let's bring back the Silencer.

You are awesome.

Also, Advent Rising.

Yes I loved that game

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Amniotic wrote: »
    Master of Magic

Every year a sequel doesn't come out I get progressively sadder. And older.

And Alpha Centauri.

dopplex on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Heavy Gear.

Those goddamn Norlight dawgs need some of that prophet shit shoved right back up their all-too-tight asses.

Bitches.

YES!

The mech genre has been sorely neglected of late. And the MechWarrior license is so fucking archaic and 80s and shitty, that a new property needs to take up the throne.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. Mechwarrior belongs back in the decades of it's ill-formed birth.

These recent years mostly devoid of grittier mech combat games would be a great opportunity for DP9 to jump back in with some hot Heavy Gear action. We never really got a taste of proper Terra Novan combat with the first two; I'd love to see a game that puts Gears in their proper combined arms role. The guided missiles in HGII were cool and all, but I want to sneak up behind a Grizzly, paint it, and watch a massive barrage from a Sagittarius battery miles away blow it up. A lot.

DP9 claimed to be waiting on the license to free up a few years ago. I really hope something comes of that.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry if it's been mentioned already but I wouldn't mind seeing more Parasite Eve. I heard they were making a cell phone game or something? I'd like to see another proper PE game on ps3 one of these days. The first was one of my all-time favorites. The second, not so much but it had it's moments.

I played to the last boss but got stuck and gave up, and it's been a while so I'm not sure how much more there could be story-wise after the second, but a prequel might be really cool.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Heavy Gear.

Those goddamn Norlight dawgs need some of that prophet shit shoved right back up their all-too-tight asses.

Bitches.

YES!

The mech genre has been sorely neglected of late. And the MechWarrior license is so fucking archaic and 80s and shitty, that a new property needs to take up the throne.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. Mechwarrior belongs back in the decades of it's ill-formed birth.

These recent years mostly devoid of grittier mech combat games would be a great opportunity for DP9 to jump back in with some hot Heavy Gear action. We never really got a taste of proper Terra Novan combat with the first two; I'd love to see a game that puts Gears in their proper combined arms role. The guided missiles in HGII were cool and all, but I want to sneak up behind a Grizzly, paint it, and watch a massive barrage from a Sagittarius battery miles away blow it up. A lot.

DP9 claimed to be waiting on the license to free up a few years ago. I really hope something comes of that.

I want a new xSiege myself. I loved Starsiege, but what the hell are they going to do about the story? Starsiege wrapped it up pretty well, what with Prometheus being basically blown to pieces, with only a few random Cybrid Hercs thrown into space with some of his "brains" in them...

But I could settle for a new Heavy Gear.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CrunchyKellsCrunchyKells Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really liked The Legend of Dragoon. Fun timing based battle system, decent soundtrack, beautiful FMVs (for the time, and still somewhat today) and typical JRPG barf story.

Also, who doesn't love transforming into gigantic dragons and fucking some baddies shit up?:P

CrunchyKells on
    TheKells38459729.jpg
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shadow Gate, Shadow Gate, and Shadow Gate. I mean in what other game (especially in that generation) allowed you to use yourself and have the game bark back at you, "What odd behavior for such a brave warrior!!" :winky: A ton of ways to die, nerve racking puzzles, and when you know exactly what to do you can beat it in minutes. That's hardcore. Now we'll ignore the sequel that had combat and all that jazz (I never played it just read about it) and Shadowgate 64, (only because it had too few suicides/deaths and it moved so slow, but it's still worth a play through.)

I'll also throw in Wizardry, I still sit down and play Wizardry V on my SNES, though the later ones in the series didn't really appeal to me, at all. I still have to play through and beat Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Lands on the PS2, again movement is slow but it's a spiritually well done continuation of the dungeon crawlers. Shame we didn't see the sequel that came out only in Japan.

And Blaster Master....... Damnit.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A Mind Forever Voyaging, we need that level of writing in a new game. On that same note, maybe not a Planescape: Torment sequel per say, but something made by the same people with the same basic intent.

I'll second any good gritty tactical mech simulators, and Freelancer/Freespace whichever comes first.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I want a new xSiege myself. I loved Starsiege, but what the hell are they going to do about the story? Starsiege wrapped it up pretty well, what with Prometheus being basically blown to pieces, with only a few random Cybrid Hercs thrown into space with some of his "brains" in them...

Is that sarcasm? Because that totally sounds like a videogame sequel setup to me. It's basically a free ticket to bring back the villain whenever they feel like it. Plus they have most of the timeline between Starsiege and Tribes to work with (plus maybe Cyberstorm, or not...).

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ikari Warriors

Woot. Im glad I wasnt the only one. I cant think of a game besides bloody wolf that I played more as a kid with my friends.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ikari Warriors

Woot. Im glad I wasnt the only one. I cant think of a game besides bloody wolf that I played more as a kid with my friends.

Someone else mentioned it before me, but I didn't see it until after I posted. But yeah, I always considered Ikari Warriors to be the best of the Commando-type shooters. Was that the first top-down shooter that you could commandeer tanks in?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shadowman.

Yeah, I said it. Take one of the best, most atmospheric settings in videogame history, writing that kicks ass, characters that aren't just throw-away, and the potential for a plot that could really engross you and make you think.

Ad then?

Give it to a developer that's worth a damn.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ikari Warriors

Ikari warriors was awesome. Alien Soldier reminded me a lot of it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ikari Warriors

Someone else mentioned it before me, but I didn't see it until after I posted. But yeah, I always considered Ikari Warriors to be the best of the Commando-type shooters. Was that the first top-down shooter that you could commandeer tanks in?

Yep thats the one. Good times.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Deus Ex.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Deus Ex.

A while back Eidos opened a new studio, Eidos Montreal. There first game was said to be Deus Ex 3 at the time, with no involvement from Specter...

:|

LewieP on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »

Is that sarcasm? Because that totally sounds like a videogame sequel setup to me. It's basically a free ticket to bring back the villain whenever they feel like it. Plus they have most of the timeline between Starsiege and Tribes to work with (plus maybe Cyberstorm, or not...).

SS2845 was supposed to fill that gap; google it sometime. They wrote a complete history, put out a beta to test the multiplayer.... then closed it all down. :(

Super-sad, really, the big 'mech genre' blows right now.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Alpha Centauri and Breathe of Fire.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, oh! Dead Rush. It'd totally have been a series if it came out.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kickle_Cubicle_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg, Mappy_Land_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep
    loved Mappy Land.

Mappy Land, not the other crappy games in the series.

Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    loved Mappy Land.

Mappy Land, not the other crappy games in the series.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I concur with Alpha Centauri.

Id also like to add that I would LOVE to see another Duke Nukem if it hasnt been mentioned already. Think of the strippers.... in HD. :)

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We need a Mechwarrior V :(

Lemming on
  • Options
    sigmachievsigmachiev Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    chevluh wrote: »
    CHRONO TRIGGER
    Anyone remember the people who were remaking Chrono Trigger in 3d?

It's worth noting they weren't actually remaking Chrono Trigger in 3D. They were merely remaking 10 specific scenes of CT to get some buzz going about their proprietary game engine.

As for Squeenix, count me in with a new Chrono game, just to see how they do it. Fuck it, they can and should just do the 3D remake themselves, that was looking so hot. I'd say a new Seiken Densetsu but there hasn't been a good one in a long time I feel.

Einhinder, however, wins out. That would be delicious.

And Bubble Bobble.

sigmachiev on
    SMASH CODE: 4768-7151-3741
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    We need a Steel Battalion 2 :(

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a lot of series that I love and would like to see continued so here's those that's currently on the top of my head.

- Xcom
    - Dungeon Keeper
    - Freespace
    - Dark Sun
    - Crusader
    - Quest for Glory
    - Baldurs Gate

EDIT: How the hell could I forget Heavy Gear? Why, oh why did Dreampod9 license their franchise to Activision for such a fucking long time?

Silpheed on