As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Hurpty Burpty, @Prospicience

• Options
    man this sure made me misty
    #pipe wrote: »
    So there are these new glasses called EnChroma, which boost colour vibrancy and effectively mitigate or cure colour blindness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea_xOqNvntA

They just started shipping and reaction videos are starting to happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTpCTDwjHZQ

goddamn I love living in 2015

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    That is so neat.

• Options
    The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I might be wrong, but this seems to be the mechanism of those lenses: red-green color deficiency is caused by the frequency ranges of a person's red and green receptors being jammed closely together. This makes red and green look similar or identical, especially where there's more overlap (which seems to be near the peak of red and green, meaning the colors are most similar when they're the most intense). The lenses work by cutting out light in the overlapping frequencies and emphasizing the ranges where they're only detecting green or only detecting red, making red and green more clearly different. Pretty cool.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    If you guys haven't seen Mad Max go see it. Shit is bananas.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    B, A N A N A S.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Tam wrote: »

Jesus christ Toby, what's your problem?

m3nace on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

My god everything about this movie is top shelf material, not a single missed note. I never saw it coming. Distinct and rad characters, interesting world with no fluff, nonstop dynamic action turned up to 15.

And John Seale is a legend, film is gorgeous. Go figure, him & George miller are about 70, I guess it takes a couple vets to make a movie this good.

Sorry, gushing!

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I wanna see it!!

Also I found some awesome art: http://www.trueangelarium.com/ Don't know if you guys have seen that, but wow. That guy is good!

• Options
    Agentflit wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

My god everything about this movie is top shelf material, not a single missed note. I never saw it coming. Distinct and rad characters, interesting world with no fluff, nonstop dynamic action turned up to 15.

And John Seale is a legend, film is gorgeous. Go figure, him & George miller are about 70, I guess it takes a couple vets to make a movie this good.

Sorry, gushing!

Tom Hardy can say more with a single grunt than most actors can with entire scenes.

He's beautiful.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    How important is it to have seen previous Mad Max films? I've only seen the first one.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    According to the movie thread in SE++, no prior Mad Max knowledge is necessary.

I also have only seen the first Mad Max- and merits of the film aside (I can't remember anything about it other than the ending scene), it definitely wasn't a great viewing experience- I'd been hearing about Mad Max for years and so I rented it to watch with a bunch of friends on New Years', and we were all set for this amped-up crazy action movie...but it turns out that almost everything iconic about the films, and all of the much-hyped craziness, apparently occurs in the later movies. :/

I feel like the first Mad Max and the first Rambo movie should come with a warning on the front to first time viewers, that they might want to pick up the sequels instead if they want the version they may be familiar with from pop culture. For all I know the first Mad Max is a better movie than the sequels (much as First Blood is a better movie than the other Rambo movies when evaluated in terms of plot/character/drama), but that viewing I was just so chomping at the bit for the much hyped CRAZY STUFF and being disappointed that it never came, that I couldn't really process the movie on its own merits.

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I'm stuck on ideas for a few illustrations I need to complete for a client soon. It's gonna have a little cartoon animal involved in them, so they won't be super big detailed works. Perhaps you guys can share your thoughts?

What kind of images do you get when you hear "self-critical"? My only real idea for the first is someone looking into a mirror, but that could end up looking a little self-absorbed or TOO self-critical in the extremely negative sense, i.e. eating disorder.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    How important is it to have seen previous Mad Max films? I've only seen the first one.

Watch Road Warrior if you want to get a feel for the aesthetic and general conceit, but yeah as far as I know you don't have to have seen any of the earlier ones to enjoy the new one.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    ...but that viewing I was just so chomping at the bit for the much hyped CRAZY STUFF and being disappointed that it never came, that I couldn't really process the movie on its own merits.

The first film is flawed but has some really cool ideas. With a proper budget the sequels were PROPER RAD.

Mad Max 1 had some PROPER RAD happeneings behind the scenes though: cameramen clinging to motorbikes driving in excess of 180km/h, a military rocket strapped to a car which completely misses the target and flies towards the cameramen, real biker gangs paid in beer, and like five people broke their legs. Pretty stupid stuff really but you can't say they wasn't hardcore

1706_mad_max.jpg

Also, shit, I didn't know George Miller directed Happy Feet

• Options
    Speaking of dudes on motorcycles, this is what young Oliver Sacks looked like.
    sacks.wilkes.scan_1-930x1227.jpg

While I know we all die, that he will die soon makes me very sad.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    You just listened to it too? So good.
    Also, I've got vasovagal syncope! The feinting thing they begin talking about. I had one of those "hey, that's me!" moments.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I didn't know until I listened to it today. Seems like all the old people I like are dying this year.

Also he squatted 600lbs when he was lifting
    Damn son

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Why do I keep trying to convince myself that, one day, I'm really going to like game franchises that I've never been good at and never really got into despite repeated attempts.

BTW I am terrible at Street Fighter 4. And Street Fighter 2. And by extension, probably Street Fighter 1, Street Fighter 3, Street Fighter 2010, and though I thought I got through watching the Jean Claude Van Damme Street Fighter movie ok, I'm sure that I probably somehow did that all wrong as well.

I guess I just have to accept that my fighting game skills will always be limited to playing Soul Calibur 1, on the Dreamcast, against people that also don't play many fighting games, specifically playing it in sumo mode. (This is where you change the settings to have the matches have infinite time and the fighters have infinite health, so the only way to win is via Ring Outs.)

EDIT:
    My efforts to determine what exactly constitutes a good haircut- one that might compel me to get one more frequently than once a year, and to pay more than the minimum possible in so doing- continue to be for naught.
    haircuts.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Just finished up with my second client, and they're overjoyed with the results. Would it be kosher to link the behance page for the design here, or should I do that in the doodle thread?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Learning that I wasn't good at fighting games (because no one is, initially) and did not care to take the (considerable) time to become good was a weight off my shoulders. It also meant I, like my other friends, could stop playing against our one friend who was taking the time to become far far too good.

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    gavindel wrote: »

I saw it tonight and I can say you don't need to know anything about the Mad Max world to follow along. The idea behind it is simple. The execution is outstanding. Can we have blind rock guitarists blasting music from flaming electric guitars on stages propped on top of semi-trucks leading the charge into battle everywhere IRL plz?
    m0b9avh76nr3.jpg

no but really

Ollie on
  • Options
    I'm gonna hire a guy to stand on my camry and play guitar.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I just realized that 94% of what I doodle is angry dudes. I need to diversify my doodlefolio.

m3nace on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    My doodles are all hands pushing buttons (love that finger bend), dudes in the classic 'running' pose, or eyes.

• Options
    shmemyshmemy Registered User new member
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Tam wrote: »
    Hurpty Burpty, @Prospicience

Haha thanks man. I haven't been on the forums since about Thursday, so thank yee!

e: yeah, that podcast about Oliver Sax hits me right in the feels pretty hardcore. Also, that photo of him is absolutely incredible.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Beautiful animated pixel-art on "Life in Japan":

http://1041uuu.tumblr.com/

• Options
    edited May 2015

RE: The first pic

Somebody popularize kotatsus in the US already, so I can go buy one without looking like a massive tool.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Damnit, those are cool. But you cannot own one without being full weeaboo.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Beautiful animated pixel-art on "Life in Japan":

http://1041uuu.tumblr.com/

I could seriously stare at these all day. I remember seeing another artist desparate robots posted doing a similar thing with slightly animated "slice of life" style gifs. So effective when done well.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Daaaaaamn, the Schoolism subscription model is going to be only $12/month for the self-taught classes!! Even better than the initial $20 offering. :D

art art art

NightDragon on
  • Options
    That's like a Netflix and a half. Totally doable. I have no good excuse not to do that.

I guess I should do that.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Now if only I had time to art.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Daaaaaamn, the Schoolism subscription model is going to be only $12/month for the self-taught classes!! Even better than the initial $20 offering. :D

art art art

Wait, what is this? Maybe I should look into this.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Dang, that's damn affordable.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Wait so how does this instagram thing work? It seems I can't tag my stuff, how do people notice my stuff then?
    Do any of you guys use it? And what exactly is the purpose of it?
    Damn kids these days.

m3nace on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    instagram is the one platform where I told myself I wasn't going to care. So I only follow my friends and don't tag anything on it. I've seen that DMAC has transitioned into it well.

You can basically maintain all the social media you want these days, I would just pick one and commit to it, personally. I enjoy tumblr the most, so I use that.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I get more attention from random people on instagram than virtually anywhere else in my social media. Tagging is easy, just #(topic) in the text description of your pictures, like "Today I drew a thing #custom #inking #comics" etc etc

This discussion has been closed.