As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Too Human - New thread is up

Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed UnicornIf ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
TOO HUMAN

THE PA TOO HUMAN THREAD OF BURLY MEN WITH SWORDS AND GUNS

LIVE Gamertags, News, Characters, Denis Dyack's shoe size (maybe) and other such Too Human related stuff below

What the fuck?

Ok, let me explain. Too Human is a 3rd Person Action RPG, think Diablo meets Devil May Cry and Dungeon Seige. You play as Baldur, a cybernetically enhanced Norse God asked to destroy a menace of flesh consuming robots, along the way he will need to collect armor, new weapons and new abilities to slash, shoot and bludgeon the horde and protect humanity from extinction
Baldur is joined by his fellow gods to fight back the menace, but is under scrutiny from the other higher gods for being Too Human to fill the role. Baldur will need to seek the aide of the Norns and force the threat back.

Wait didd'nt I see this 10 years ago?
Yep, originally the game was going to be on the Playstation and then Nintendo threw money at Silicon Knights to make games for Gamecube which saw a very breif showing and then disappeared off the radar for other projects such as Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear:Twin Snakes.
Too Human on the PS1

In 2005 more cashbags were placed on desks and SK announced they will be joining up with Microsoft game studios, which once again revived Too Human and the game was worked on from scratch. Originally on Unreal Engine 3.0, Silicon Knights found that the engine was limited to what they had in mind and took Epic Games to court over support for the engine and it's tools.

Now on SK's own internal Engine, the game is finally seeing the light of day and releasing in August 2008, 9years after it was originally shown at E3 for the first time.

So how does it play?
Essentially you will be relying on the right stick for most of your moves ( Swinging your swords, directing attacks and launching your enemies into the air ). Tapping the stick towards your enemy lunges, rotating the stick causes you to swing left right and all about and holding down your ranged weapons buttons and pointing towards the enemy allows you to shoot. Simple.

Controls -
TH_Game_Controls.jpg

THERE IS A DEMO ON XBOX LIVE.

The Demo features part of the first level and 5 classes to choose from, you may need some help getting all of them though

Unlock more chars in the demo
So you just got the demo and screamed "FUCK THERES ONLY ONE CHARACTER". No... no there is not.

There is a glitch and trick to getting around this, but it's up to you on how you wish to do it.

You can listen to this guy! He sounds like a fucking drunk though.

Or alternitavely -

Follow these steps:

1- Shut down the Xbox360 (if it isnt already)
2- Unplug your internet cable
3- Start up the 360 and go to the date setting
4- Change the year to 2009
5- Play demo with Berserker or Commando

Shit just got more awesome. If you have not at least played with a few chars, send your bitching elsewhere.

Lets get Classy ( and possibly oily)

Classes

Berzerker -

Ber_pic.gif

The Berserker delights in the fury of close combat, forgoing defensive strategy in order to adopt all-out offense. Adopting a twin-blade fighting style and infused with the spirit of the bear, a Berserker will wade into battle for the glory of ODIN.

+Master of melee damage.
+Can reach an extra Combo Level.
+Can dual wield melee weapons.

-Lower heath.

BioEngineer
Bio_pic.gif

A master of cybernetics as well as mundane combat, the Bio Engineer repairs damage sustained on the battlefield, increasing health bonuses of himself and his allies, enabling them to take the fight directly into the heart of the enemy.

+Can heal self and allies.
+Diminished melee and missile damage.

Champion
Champ_pic.gif

The Champion represents ODIN's divine force of retribution. A strong warrior able to deal out a wide variety of caustic force field and anti-gravity based effects, increasing the combat effectiveness of his allies. One-handed weapons are the Champion's chosen tools of combat.

+A well-rounded fighter.
+Best at air combat.
+Best at critical strikes.

Commando
(no Pic)

Favoring technological gadgetry and standoff methods of warfare, the Commando specializes in the use of mines, countermeasures, demolitions and rifles. Able to support his allies through long range, harrying tactics, the Commando is truly a force to be reckoned with.

+Master of ranged weapons.
+Explosive effect and ammunition capacity increased.
-Diminished melee damage.

Defender

(no Pic)

With the blessings of ODIN and runes of protection, the Defender is the backbone of the Aesir's defense. Heavy armor enables the Defender to absorb a tremendous amount of damage, leaving his allies to take the battle to the enemy unharried.

+Increased armor and health.
+May use shields.
+Resistant to knockdown.
-Slower and diminished missile damage/range.

Human or Cybernetic?
Amongst the choices of class are also two more skill trees that Baldur can Follow the path of the cybernetic for more damage and tech or retain his human side in favor of better healing and more focused combat.

SKILL TREE VIDEOS

CLASS SKILL TREE EXPLANATIONS (VERY LONG BRING POPCORN)

TALENT TREE CALCULATOR

With Thanks to VaLiantine -

Talent Calculator (Java based)

Rightfully stolen from NeoGAF which was taken from TooHuman.net.

My Nord is bigger than your nord.

Location Location!

(more to follow)

Halls of the Aesir
These Halls are the seat of power in the eyes of Humanity. Here the Aesir can walk amidst the humans, so their presence is felt and provide assurance. It is here that the Aesir formulate battle plans and regale each other with the tall tales. The building itself is massive, rising many hundreds of stories above ground level and reaching deep into the earth as well. Amongst its many tiers lie armories, vehicle bays, loading docks, research labs, staging areas, barracks, training facilities, arboretums, hospitals and even prisons. The building is self-sufficient enough to maintain the war effort, but it is ultimately reliant upon the Orbital String for stability. Each of the gods has his own personal Hall within this building, to be used as a sort of office, in addition to their true homes that reside atop the Orbital String tower in Asgard.

CyberSpace

Although Cyberspace is present in all parts of the planet, the height of activity is within the walls of Aesir territory. There are more wells within the Halls of the Aesir than anywhere else. This is primarily because its use has fallen only to the Aesir, who use it to gauge the future and enact their battle plans.
There are Wells scattered across the entire world, but most of them are disabled or shut down after centuries of disuse and warfare. Most areas of cyberspace can be traveled to directly from these Halls, so long as the requisite Wells across the globe have been activated.
The NORNs, three inseparable and mysterious beings, exercise dominion over the world of data and mystery we commonly call Cyberspace. Certain Aesir may visit this realm via active access points known as "wells". When close to a well, press A to enter Cyberspace.
Within Cyberspace, the [strike]whores[/strike] NORNs will grant you the following abilities to open locked doors or access treasure caches (although some puzzles may require you to return once a later power is attained):

-Push
-Lift
-Create Fire

Valhalla

Valhalla, Hall of the Slain, is the hall presided over by Odin. This vast hall has five hundred and forty doors. The rafters are spears, the hall is roofed with shields and breast-plates litter the benches. A wolf guards the western door and an eagle hovers over it. It is here that the Valkyries, Odin's messengers and spirits of war, bring half of the heroes that died on the battle fields (the rest go to Freya's hall Folkvang). These heroes, the Einherjar, are prepared in Valhalla for the oncoming battle of Ragnarok. When the battle commences, eight hundred warriors will march shoulder to shoulder out of each door.

MULTIPLAYER
(coming soon)

SWEATY NORDIC MEN WITH SWORDS ON THE WIRE (AKA TOO HUMAN LIVE PLAYERS LIST)

Forum name / Live name
Character and Level Locale( Time on )

Waka Laka / Tokyo Funk
(None)
GMT+8 Random times

Talonious_monk / Talonious Monk
(none)
Evenings or weekends. EST

kildy / kildy
(none)
(Unspecified time)

Stranger678/Stranger678
Arizona
early evenings PST

Local H Jay/ Local H Jay
NY/ Nights during week, Weekends.
(I plan to be a Beserker, but it may change)

Klyka/Klyka
European sex god... supposedly Random Times
(Big Burly German)

Woodroez/Woodroez,
Central time (GMT-6)

SpikedFreak / LocoJaymz
Evenings Pacific

Sparth / Sparth
Montreal EST evenings

elevature/elevature
Toronto
evening and at night, generally between 11pm and 2am

zilo/kongmc
Pacific time

BloodyRoarXX / PABloodyRoarXX
EST

JonnyBot/JonnyBot v1
As far as you know

drakenhawk/ drakenhawk77
none (yet) Mid-West USA (-6 GMT)( evenings )

ToyD/ToyDolls
Time: (8:30 or later Central Time)

nonplussed / namplussed
TBD San Diego, CA Varies

dookieagain/ dookieagain
Unknown - Random times

Sagroth/sag616
In the sun. ApparentlyHe'll be on when he feels like it

Threepio / Threepio
GMT +8, Evenings and Weekends

Preacher / JudasDubois
-7 gmt Usually on around 6:30 or 7 pm weekdays all day weekends Level 19 Defender

CarbonFire / Carb0nFire
(Unknown) (Unknown)
Level 30 Defender

Accault / The Accualt
Illinois (Unknown)

Sheep
/Sheeeeeeep
(Unknown)*Verbally challenged until his mic arrives in the post

Broncbuster/Broncbuster187
Pacific (evenings and random times weekends)

Nitsua16/ XFORCE
midnight EST to around 5 am EST

NEWS AND OTHER INFO

With thanks to Castrum some Q&A stuff

quote:
My question is a bit of a technical one: is SK aware of the "vanishing enemy" glitch present in the demo? It seems quite rare, I've personally only seen it happen 3 times in about 10 playthroughs, but some of the others I've talked to over XBL have seen it as well. Basically, during the middle of a fight, your enemy simply disappears. They seem to slowly vanish away rather than instantly disappear, but it's hard to tell, of course. For me this happened twice while fighting the first troll you see: the troll just disappears, and after a few seconds the cutscene starts as if I had defeated it normally. I also saw this happen with a missile goblin, standing on the edge of the large bridge you come across in the demo.

Denis:
Yes, I believe we fixed most of these.

quote:
will sentient weapons follow you if there are no enemies in the current room for it to kill? or will it stay behing until it runs out of time?

Denis:
They kill everything alive They will often fly ahead of you - they are limited by time.

quote:
Are percentages additive or multiplicative?

In Example:
Would two items giving 5% x-effect produce a total of 10% x-effect?

Denis:
additive i believe in most cases

quote:
will u be expanding both skill and alignment skill trees in the trilogy?

Denis:
yes

quote:
My second question pertains to something I read years ago, just after the release of Twin Snakes, in an EGM magazine. During an interview with SK, the interviewer from SK (can't remember if it was Mr.Dyack or somebody else) said that their most wanted remake would be a "mature, realistic take on Zelda."

Is Twilight Princess roughly similar to that concept, or would it be even darker, an M-rated game perhaps? To me the idea of a more violent and challenging Zelda is just pure awesome.

Denis:
If we ever made that series it would be a complete restart (like the dark knight) . Hope that helps.

quote:
With the hammer & shield combo, it doesn't seem (on the surface) that there is any function for the shield itself. Is the main benefit of the hammer and shield dual-wield the added statistical armor bonus? Or does the shield serve a purpose that is not really explored in the demo?

Denis:
It gives you a 40% overall armor bonus (which is huge) beyond a few cool shield bashes.

Henry:
As for matchmaking, it's your standard Live fair for the most part.

You can search a quick match which I believe prioritizes best ping and closest level.

You can host a match a select your level/area, loot distribution type, and leave the slot open or make it private (so no one jumps in while you invite a buddy).

You can do a custom search and prioritize any level/area and loot type you want.

If you are the host, you can wait for someone in Aesir (and shop or whatever) or just go ahead and launch an area and people can just join in at any time.

You can join a friend in progress and you can invite anyone to your game at any time.

Hope this helps.

quote:
hey Denis I'm sure you have been asked a lot by this question but can we look forward to PvP in the future? and will you be able to use your character and if there will any PvP gear as an award for people who have achieved a certain rank?

also great job on TH. It has come a long way through consoles and lawsuits.

Denis:
hehe it has come a long way .

As for PvP, we have ideas but probably different then you are thinking and in ways we will not be ready to talk about for some time to come.

quote:
A technical question about the menu: in the demo, the sound effects that play when you switch through the menu are very high pitched, and can hurt the ears. (they hurt my ears and my friend who played the demo claimed his dog started howling whenever the high pitched sound effects played, so he had to mute it )

Also about the menu, the couple of seconds "lag" in the demo that it takes to bring up, is that in the final game as well?

Denis:
Final release runs faster then the demo - i am not sure if there is a noticeable difference in the menu or not. Cant remember. Sorry about the sound and your friends dog .

quote:
I have a query for you Denis. Given that Too Human is nearly out the gate as it were, can you give us roughly in percentages, how much of the story the first game contains overall? Something tells me that Too Human: Rise of the Giants (you can confirm or deny that, will have much more story than we've seen in the first game. Would that be an accurate presumption?

Denis:
RotG has a lot more ground to cover story wise. I cannot really comment beyond that.

End.

NOTE: Rise of the Giants (RotG) is TH2, for those who aren't aware.
Castrum wrote: »
More info!
Also, I don't think it has ever been actually stated if there will be an account stash where you can get items to your other characters without hassling your friends to trade online. I know there will be times when I will come across something and say that would be perfect for "X character" and having a place to dump it in the hub where your other characters could get to it would be really nice.

Denis:
There is no vault Too Human currently.

(Poster's Note: let's hope they add it in later. I don't want to be muling my stuff around much).

Henry:
Just to clarify:

There are 6 slots for each save device.

So you can have 6 saves on the hard drive and 6 more on any additional memory units if you want.

Henry:
We've gotten a lot of extremely positive feedback on the arenas and we are considering all kinds of future possibilities.

End.

I've also found some info from the guide (posted on TH.net) that some may find interesting:
Combo Drain(Maroon)- When they hit you or explode, you lose combo meter.

Elite(Silver/Gold)- You've seen these in the demo, they're hard to kill and bigger than average.

Exploding(Orange/Red)- When they hit the player or they die, they explode, hurting the player. Seen in demo.

Ice(Light Blue)- Seen in demo, When they die, they explode and freeze you if you are too close. Getting hit will unfreeze you.

Ice Beam(Light Blue)- They shoot an ice beam at you, freezing you if hit.

Life Drain(Maroon)- They drain your life on successful attacks.

Lightning(Purple)- Successful attacks by the enemy hurt you with lightning, and they explode with lightning. They give you a lightning status effect, doing high damage over short time.

Napalm(Orange/Red)- Like Exploding, but they set you on fire. Fire does medium damage over medium time.

Nitrous(Light Blue)- Like Ice, but they can also freeze you with attacks

Poison/Poison Fire(Lime Green)- On attack/deathexplosion, they give a poison effect to the player, doing low damage over a long time.

Pole(Default unit color) Leader exclusive. Light pole leaders can only be hurt with ranged. Dark pole leaders are charged up with ranged attacks, can only be hurt with melee.

Slow Fire(Purple)- Slows your rate of fire on death explosion or successful enemy attack.

Snared(Purple)- Slows your movement speed and rate of melee attack on death explosion or successful enemy attack.

Softened(Yellow)- Double damage taken for duration of status effect for player on enemy death explosion or successful enemy attack.

Unbalanced(Yellow)- Player is knocked down on enemy death explosion or successful enemy attack.
Killing a light polarity enemy with a Fierce attack nets you a large combo meter bonus. And yeah, use finishers on dark polarities
Forgot one more thing... The guide tells all effects of human ruiners:
Berserker - bear - "Shreds all enemies in range"
Bio-Engineer - valkyrie - Siphon's enemy health to restore his own
Champion - raven - knocks enemies into the air
Commando - wolf - prevents enemies from moving for a time
Defender - valiant (einherjar) - causes enemies to be stunned

(One more quick edit 9_9)
Again, not sure if this is redundant information, but I've never seen it before, but as for cybernetic ruiners, you need to have a cybernetically-aligned weapon (that's what alignment does ^^ equipped. They're different for each weapon type, they are apparently based on the weps attack power, and which weapon's ruiner activates depends on which one you have out at the time - if you have your sword out, it will be the sword, if you have a cannon out, it will be the cannons (this way you can have two different ruiners equipped at once for a Cyber Baldur - too cool ^^)

Norse Mythology in Video form for you armchair historians

Gamersyde Screenshot Gallery Update

Big stack of new previews from a handfull of sites

Gamespy's Preview

Spiffy
Focus on accessibility; good storytelling; role-playing system depth; co-op; mapping of myth to technology.

IffyFrame rate; inaccurate control scheme; need to see higher-level characters.

1-up Preview

Highlights-

"...players have the wrong idea about Too Human -- how it's essentially "just" an action game, while they consider it a pretty much 50/50 split of the action and RPG genres."

"...you'll find a lot of Diablo/Hellgate-style upgrades, customizations and options"

"...controls very much straddle the line between Devil May Cry and Diablo, so if you head in expecting either you may be surprised."

"...the screenshots were not misleading and the game looks as good as most high end 360 and PS3 games, especially in the character faces and backgrounds."

"Another big criticism of Too Human at E3 2006 was that the camera angles failed to properly track the player. In our updated time with the game, we didn't experience this at all."

Teamxbox's Preview

Highlights -

"Controlling any of the characters in Too Human isn’t hard, but the scheme will feel a bit different than the normal third-person action game."

"Yeah, there are a lot of pick-ups in Too Human, and each one slightly changes that rock, paper scissors gameplay aspect that makes campaign progression so addictive. There appears to be a complex skill system tied into the RPG items as well, along with an “alignment” aspect that we’ll surely reveal at a later date"

"There’s a fairly steep learning curve to Too Human, but those willing to give up the camera control reins will adapt to the control scheme in a few minutes."

"The mixture of classic melee and modern ranged weapons is exciting when concentrating on the third-person action aspect of Too Human"

Waka Laka on

• CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, I thought they were having troubles with development from the money issues with the Unreal engine people. Or was that "so last year"?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    Oh, I thought they were having troubles with development from the money issues with the Unreal engine people. Or was that "so last year"?

Remember, nothing says "pay attention to my game" like controversy.

Waka Laka on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I still just hate the look of combat. It looks stiff, and everytime he swings his sword, it makes me think that he's swinging at a pinata that's not there.

Kyougu on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I so very badly want this to be good. Four player co-op? Viking lore with robots for demons? High replay value? Multiple character classes? yes, please, yes!

The cutscene they showed at E3 was such a turn off, though, that it stripped all of the positive buzz I had built in my head about the story telling.

Accualt on
  • Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The character animations kill this game for me.

And that trailer from E3 this year was just awful.

Smarmy Lech on
    Cottontail.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    I so very badly want this to be good. Four player co-op? Viking lore with robots for demons? High replay value? Multiple character classes? yes, please, yes!

The cutscene they showed at E3 was such a turn off, though, that it stripped all of the positive buzz I had built in my head about the story telling.

I wasn't put off by the E3 stuff, i just took it as a bad example of what the game can do. I did see some gameplay videos recently that had some fairly poor-looking animation, Baldur seemed to be sliding around on the floor, didn't look very tactile, like he was detatched from his surroundings. I'll need to go over these previews in more depth, but from reading the OP, it sounds better than i was expecting.

edit: just read through the 1UP preview, and it actually sounds good. I know, previews can't always be trusted, but if you read closely you can always get an idea of whether they actually like it, or if they're just being polite. I got the genuine impression that they are happy with the game and where it's going. There's the occasional "well we're a little concerned that this might happen" bit, but in general it seemed optimistic and enthusiastic. Good news.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If they make the controls work and improve the animation I can still see this being an awesome game

I guess I'm what we like calling "cautiously optimistic"

bruin on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Still not quite as EPIC as I was expecting it.

*groans* I swear, it's an illness.... I can't help it.

Big Classy on
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Game doesn't look very good, and Dennis Dyack is unlikable.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Too Human threads go to hell fast don't they?

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2007
    I blame Too Human.

• /../.. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would help if the game wasn't a generic piece of shit.

"O LETS FITE ROBOTS... IN THE FUTURE.... "

/.. on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Too Human threads go to hell fast don't they?
    It's the power of Dyack.

But seriously, I really want this game to live up to it's own hype and be the most awesome thing ever, the game has so man cool sounding features and ideas. And while I'm still optimistic about the game I don't really have any hype for it, it seems to be taking forever to make so I'll just ignore it until it actually comes out and then I'll hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

-SPI- on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I want this game to work just because I think it's awesome that the Norse god of beauty was a badass.

Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2007
    SPI: Maybe that should be my policy on all videogames.

All the same I doubt I'd be truly surprised by many games anyway, blackouts or no blackouts. Case in point: Twilight Princess.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want this game to be good so very, very badly. Eternal Darkness was in my top five last gen, and I want this to carry on the tradition.

Get the hit detection right, you loons. Please.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited October 2007
    /.. wrote: »

Which game is'nt like that nowadays? Quake Wars was just released and no one is ripping into it. What do you know - cyborg fighting. No one went into the thread and shouted bloody murder.

The original idea an concept for this game was made in 1996. The first console it was on was PS1. They've retained the same plot from 1996.

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2007

Which game is'nt like that nowadays? Quake Wars was just released and no one is ripping into it. What do you know - cyborg fighting. No one went into the thread and shouted bloody murder.

The original idea an concept for this game was made in 1996. The first console it was on was PS1. They've retained the same plot from 1996.

Here's the thing, Quake Wars isn't trying to be something more than "O FITE ROBOTS IN FUTURE!"

This is, but it ISN'T. They need to just come clean.

/.. on
    edited October 2007

Here's the thing, Quake Wars isn't trying to be something more than "O FITE ROBOTS IN FUTURE!"

But um...

... I haven't fought robots for like a while.

I kind of want to fight robots.

Also, if those robots happen to be analogous to ancient Norse monsters, that's pretty cool. I haven't seen much to get me excited about this game, but the basic concept is fine. A bit silly, a bit awesome, that generally makes for entertaining.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Norse mythology set in a techno-fantasy universe where the gods are cyborgs and their worth as deities is decided by how little flesh they have left isn't not cliche enough for you?

Just because the enemies are robots doesn't mean it's not different. I don't know what else they could do to it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

But see it's not about fighting robots in the future, it's about fighting robots in the distant past.

You can see that that's completely different.

It's honestly like the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future came up with the storyline.

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO, WHEN MANKIND WAS RULED BY MACHINES, THE CYBERNETIC GODS CREATED MACHINES TO FIGHT THE MACHINES TO FREE MANKIND

Quake Wars is a terrible example to cite against. The only reason nobody rips into Quake's setting is because everyone already knows that it's a generic piece of shit.
    Pancake wrote: »
    Norse mythology set in a techno-fantasy universe where the gods are cyborgs and their worth as deities is decided by how little flesh they have left isn't not cliche enough for you?

Just because the enemies are robots doesn't mean it's not different. I don't know what else they could do to it.

No, I don't think that you can't say that it isn't not cliche or not different and... what?

I humbly request a restatement of your post with fewer double negatives, so I can disagree with it without getting confused.

Puny Human on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Puny Human wrote: »

But see it's not about fighting robots in the future, it's about fighting robots in the distant past.

It's honestly like the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future came up with the storyline.

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO, WHEN MANKIND WAS RULED BY MACHINES, THE CYBERNETIC GODS CREATED MACHINES TO FIGHT THE MACHINES TO FREE MANKIND

Quake Wars is a terrible example to cite against. The only reason nobody rips into Quake's setting is because everyone already knows that it's a generic piece of shit.

Right, and that's not the point. It's like criticizing the plot of Unreal Tournament, you're missing the point.

However, they're trying to tell some sort of *sigh* "epic" story, and it just sounds stupid. Unless they really know their shit when it comes to Norse Mythology and take something other than names from it, which I doubt, it's gonna be bad. Just the description of the plot sounds awful, the humans are trying to become more like robots and, get this, the robots are trying to be more like humans!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited October 2007
    I'm curious about the direction SK is going to go with the whole "Baldr as a Nietzschean ideal" thing. I have a feeling it will echo the underpinning of Kreia from Sith Lords.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    To the people criticizing the premise, I'm surprised if you deny that there's a bias going on with this title. I mean, Mass Effect sounds like banal cliché when you boil it down to a one-sentence summary as well.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »

Right, and that's not the point. It's like criticizing the plot of Unreal Tournament, you're missing the point.

However, they're trying to tell some sort of *sigh* "epic" story, and it just sounds stupid. Unless they really know their shit when it comes to Norse Mythology and take something other than names from it, which I doubt, it's gonna be bad. Just the description of the plot sounds awful, the humans are trying to become more like robots and, get this, the robots are trying to be more like humans!

Sounds cool to me.

I mean seriously, its a hack and slash type deal, with epic loots, who the fuck cares about the story?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
    edited October 2007
    Dennis Dyack repeatedly champions the story as groundbreaking, so I'd say he cares. Backlash to this seems inevitable, given how thin the whole premise appears.

edited October 2007
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    To the people criticizing the premise, I'm surprised if you deny that there's a bias going on with this title. I mean, Mass Effect sounds like banal cliché when you boil it down to a one-sentence summary as well.

That's because Mass Effect is banal cliché when you boil it down. It's basically a Star Wars game except with the plot ripped off from Star Control 3.

I've already been lumping Mass Effect and Too Human together in my own mind for some time now. The lameness of the protagonists (Bulk Rockjaw, meet Slab Hamfist) and the overly pretentious storylines just grate on me.

The thing is, there's nothing worse about either game compared to any other game, it's just when the creators try to claim they're making The Greatest Story Ever Told IN GLORIOUS THREE-DEE it gets on my nerves.

Puny Human on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this game falls on and off my radar, much like assasins creed does, I want both to be amazing, but I wont care if both suck...

But to claim the plot is cliche and rehashed is just dumb. Ive never ever played a game that tried to put a cool futuristic twist on old legends, and frankly that sounds awesome. If the game was JUST Norse Mythology would you claim it was cliche? No, because no game has gone there. But itd also be kind of a boring concept. Take that mythology and add a sci-fi spice and it sounds pretty sweet. Its one of the most original plots for a game in years...

Honestly, name some games that have more unique settings for their story?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

AHA! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed. I've been lumping Mass Effect and Too Human together in my own mind for some time now. The lameness of the protagonists (Bulk Rockjaw, meet Slab Hamfist) and the overly pretentious storylines just grate on me.

The thing is, there's nothing worse about either game compared to any other game, it's just when the creators try to claim they're making The Greatest Story Ever Told IN GLORIOUS THREE-DEE it gets on my nerves.
    You> .

His point >.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited October 2007
    Disrupter I can tell you are intrigued by the idea of Norse mythology but yeah um let's just say it's fairly straightforward stuff.

edited October 2007
    Straightforward stuff like goat chariots and drinking oceans and plucking out your own eye and a distributed intellect elder god.

Super-cool-forward, more like.

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »

Super Mario Galaxy? Halo? Cave Story?

/.. on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Right, so is greek mythology, or any mythology. But it doesnt mean that taking a new, unique twist on that subject is rehashed. Its still very fresh and new. The opposite of cliche.

I havent played a game in years that had a more unique backbone for its story. Im not saying Too Humans story will be as epic as they claim, but the world they created is fresh and unique. I honestly cant think of a game that has a more unique universe.

I know next to nothing about Super Mario Galaxy or Cave Story, but Halo has one of the most cliche settings ever. I love halo, but humanity battles aliens while third party swarm hive mind race threatens all was probably cliche when Starcraft did it.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited October 2007

AHA! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed. I've been lumping Mass Effect and Too Human together in my own mind for some time now. The lameness of the protagonists (Bulk Rockjaw, meet Slab Hamfist) and the overly pretentious storylines just grate on me.

You> .

His point >.

His point is that Too Human isn't that bad when you compare it to Mass Effect.

My point is that they're both that bad.

Puny Human on
    edited October 2007
    Straightforward stuff like goat chariots and drinking oceans and plucking out your own eye and a distributed intellect elder god.

Now transpose this into a generic futuristic setting inside a largely formulaic, banal-looking videogame directed by a self-righteous, technology-fixated programmer ... I expect much of the madness will be lost in translation, and much of the simple mythological good vs. bad collisions will remain. Maybe there will be some name-dropping in addition, hm.

edited October 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »

Super Mario Galaxy? Halo? Cave Story?

Hahaha, I see what you did there.
    Which of these things is not like a game that isn't about shooting robots in the future?

durandal4532 on
    edited October 2007

Now transpose this into a generic futuristic setting inside a largely formulaic, banal-looking videogame directed by a self-righteous, technology-fixated programmer ... I expect much of the madness will be lost in translation, and much of the simple mythological good vs. bad collisions will remain. Maybe there will be some name-dropping in addition, hm.

And Nietzsche. That's a pretty important aspect of the plot.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've already been lumping Mass Effect and Too Human together in my own mind for some time now. The lameness of the protagonists (Bulk Rockjaw, meet Slab Hamfist) and the overly pretentious storylines just grate on me.

You know that Mass Effect has no set protagonist, right? You can, like, change them? Completely and utterly customize their face? Shepard can be a woman, if you want. She's not quite Slab Hamfist. As for the story, Too Human's does seem to touted as deep and whatever, but I haven't seen anything of Mass Effect that makes it sound like they're trying to be pretentious or meaningful in any sense. It's about the presentation and the characters and how now they can do things using the technology that they'd tried before but could never really achieve. In other words, it's how the story is told, not necessarily how incredibly original or meaningful it is.

And what is any developer supposed to say?

"You know, I think our game might be kind of good. Maybe. But really, you've seen it all before. There's nothing really interesting about what we have to offer.

"I mean, you can still try it if you want... I guess. Just rent it, even. If you have a free weekend, anyway. Seriously, no rush."

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've lost interest in the game, to be honest. First it gets ripped, and they whine about not giving it a fair chance and how it wasn't ready. So we wait. It's second presentation is still mediocre, though better than the last one. We gave them a second chance to improve, and frankly they didn't impress.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007
    Mass Effect is apparently trying to be more like 70's-early 80's Sci fi styles, the developers said themselves thats what they're aiming for.

I'm most definately not hyped for Too Human, but I like games with replay and collection, being compared to Diablo 2 in terms of collection style and levelling. Co-op is also fantastic, I'm hoping there will be threads full of "This is my character/experience yarda yarda" that everyone can join in on. It's being compared to Devil May Cry, Diablo and a whole heap of other games, but never specifically for a single one. Yes the animations are a bit bendy, but hey, most unfinished games do.

I look forward to it, but i'll pass full judgement untill I play it - the Demo is coming, so hold out till then.

Waka Laka on
This discussion has been closed.