As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm a OLD [Witcher Thread], no longer in use. post in the new one.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    70 Hours, Level 30. I'm not even half way.

I don't care, feels good.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Fairly certain the drag and drop oils thing is a bug that'll be patched out eventually.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Any news on when the console gwent bug is getting fixed?

Id really like to try playing it.

What's the bug? Only issue I've had is being unable to play Leaders weather powers sometimes.

Re-read the wording on those powers. It doesn't automagically generate that power, it only works if you have that weather card in your deck to play. (not your hand)

Run with one copy of all in my Foltest deck.

Lorahalo wrote: »
    walnutmon wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    I am going with an alchemy build, and the idea that I have to go into the menu to use more than 2 potions is so awful that I'm considering respeccing... Bear in mind, I don't have many potions yet, I'm still early in the game. Is it really as bad as it seems like it will be?

Also, do you guys think there is there any chance that an official patch will come out to do something better with potions?

Decoctions aren't something you want equipped, as they last 30+ minutes. And Oils can't be applied during combat. So two potion slots is fine.

If you look at the alchemy tree, the changes to increase your toxicity insinuate you will be able to drink a lot more than two potions (I can already have two potions active at level 4 with no points increasing my max toxicity)

Yeah, I can have two decoctions and numerous potions active (plus the bonus random effect I get for drinking a potion at no extra toxicity). It's insane. I destroy everything now.

The perk that increases toxicity per potion is kind of nuts. I have like 2-something toxicity without the +30 perk. Running two decoctions is easy.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    whats a decoction? I have access but do not understand the usage or reason?

IE oils - for damage
    pots - effects
    bombs - for blammmmmo!
    decotions do?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    They're potions that take up a lot of toxicity but they have longer effects. And the effects the provide are..... different. Like say restoring vitality for every hit you land or increasing stamina so you don't tire whilst running or even increase your weight carry limit.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    They're like potions, but the effect lasts a long time (30 minutes without any alchemy talents, I believe?) and gives you about 80 toxicity. You make them out of mutagens that drop from monsters (the named mutagens like "Werewolf Mutagen", not the basic "Red Mutagen" or anything) and they refill when meditating like normal potions.

What makes them so obscene is that there's a few skills that increase you maximum toxicity to the point where you can have 2 (or possibly 3, I'm not sure yet if there's enough space to have 3 and your regular potions) active at once, as well as your regular potions. Alchemy has some crazy builds where decoctions keep your toxicity up so you're free to use potions that don't expire (due to a skill where potions only expire once you're below a certain toxicity level) and basically load up on every effect imaginable and then go slaughter crazy.

I really just got to the point where it starts to work fully and holy jesus is it some serious shit.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Any news on when the console gwent bug is getting fixed?

Id really like to try playing it.

What's the bug? Only issue I've had is being unable to play Leaders weather powers sometimes.

Re-read the wording on those powers. It doesn't automagically generate that power, it only works if you have that weather card in your deck to play. (not your hand)

Run with one copy of all in my Foltest deck.

Yeah, and if you play it or leave it in your hand, you can't use the leader power.

• Options
    I did the contract for the Woodland Spirit
    That thing was fucking terrifying. It looked sweet as shit in the trailer and promo art they put out, and goddamn was the design spot on. Looked fantastic in motion.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I am going with an alchemy build, and the idea that I have to go into the menu to use more than 2 potions is so awful that I'm considering respeccing... Bear in mind, I don't have many potions yet, I'm still early in the game. Is it really as bad as it seems like it will be?

Also, do you guys think there is there any chance that an official patch will come out to do something better with potions?

Decoctions aren't something you want equipped, as they last 30+ minutes. And Oils can't be applied during combat. So two potion slots is fine.

If you look at the alchemy tree, the changes to increase your toxicity insinuate you will be able to drink a lot more than two potions (I can already have two potions active at level 4 with no points increasing my max toxicity)

Yeah, I can have two decoctions and numerous potions active (plus the bonus random effect I get for drinking a potion at no extra toxicity). It's insane. I destroy everything now.

But my original question was: is it a pain in the ass to potion up when you can only hot-key two potions? Do you go into your inventory and consume multiple potions for difficult fights?

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited May 2015

But my original question was: is it a pain in the ass to potion up when you can only hot-key two potions? Do you go into your inventory and consume multiple potions for difficult fights?

Not for me, since decoctions last a lifetime now (over an hour). I can handle most encounters with just my decoctions active, and I keep Thunderbolt/Swallow on hot key for situations when I need them but it's never really necessary unless I fuck up something fierce. It's more annoying to apply oils than it is to drink potions. The only other potions I would ever need are maybe White Rafford's Decoction for emergency healing, and possibly something like Golden Oriole (used so rarely that I don't mind having to open the menu to find it).

I can see how it might be limiting if you were going a sword or signs build rather than alchemy though.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Not for me, since decoctions last a lifetime now (over an hour). I can handle most encounters with just my decoctions active, and I keep Thunderbolt/Swallow on hot key for situations when I need them but it's never really necessary. It's more annoying to apply oils than it is to drink potions. The only other potions I would ever need are maybe White Rafford's Decoction for emergency healing, and possibly something like Golden Oriole (used so rarely that I don't mind having to open the menu to find it).

I can see how it might be limiting if you were going a sword or signs build rather than alchemy though.

Ok, that's a bit of a relief :)

I've really been enjoying the game so far, my only quibble is the long load times after difficult encounters, dying to one of the monsters w/ cutscenes meant I had to wait about 2 minutes to try again.

Regarding the highly controversial movement system that kept me from buying the game at launch, cause I was hoping for some patches before it DESTROYED my experience:

I think the complaints about the movement are WAY overblown, I came in expecting some awkward gawky system that sucks, it's FINE. I didn't have expectations I'd be playing Batman, Shadow of Mordor, Dark Souls, etc - so I'm totally ok with it. People have complained about looting, I haven't had any issues with looting at all. Swimming is a little weird, but it works ok. I like that the horse follows the road without needing directional input. Walking is easy on the console by not pushing the analog stick too far. The camera is fine. Moving around the towns is fine.

Everything is fine. Based on things I'd heard I was scared it was borderline unplayable: if movement quirks has you on the fence, I'd say don't let it stop you from playing this game. It is a complete non-issue to me.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »

Wow, Witcher 1 graphics still holds up. I also forgot about Triss full body fishnet thing.....

must stay strong for Yennefer....

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Butcher wrote: »

Wow, Witcher 1 graphics still holds up. I also forgot about Triss full body fishnet thing.....

must stay strong for Yennefer....

Witcher 1 still has great atmosphere and design and Vizima still looks better than most cities in games due to the crowds and how they react to weather. Hence it still looks good even if there's not a lot of detail in some character models.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I looks alright, but I'd kill or Axii for a remake in Witcher 3's engine.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Kiera Metz is why you do not throw your bone around to "help someone". this is an important life lesson.
    Even if you don't sleep with her, she still takes advantage.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ. I put in probably over 40 hours of playtime just in my 3 day weekend, and now I'm back at work and Witching is all I can think about at all.

This game sets its hooks deep.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. I put in probably over 40 hours of playtime just in my 3 day weekend, and now I'm back at work and Witching is all I can think about at all.

I managed thirty this weekend And I'm the same. Holy crap, it's been a while since something has had me like this. I haven't been on warcraft since FridaY, my guild probably thinks I've died.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Kiera Metz is why you do not throw your bone around to "help someone". this is an important life lesson.
    Even if you don't sleep with her, she still takes advantage.

I really enjoyed Kiera's quests. She and Geralt had a good dynamic. My wife thought she was adorable, and I couldn't disagree.

• Options
    Quical wrote: »

I managed thirty this weekend And I'm the same. Holy crap, it's been a while since something has had me like this. I haven't been on warcraft since FridaY, my guild probably thinks I've died.

Eh, there's a chance a good chunk of them are doing the same thing.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Waka Laka wrote: »

63 hours, level 17. I'm still roaming about Novigrad and Velen. I haven't even gone to Skellige yet. I think this game will sustain me for the rest of the year, maybe longer. I love it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »

63 hours, level 17. I'm still roaming about Novigrad and Velen. I haven't even gone to Skellige yet. I think this game will sustain me for the rest of the year, maybe longer. I love it.

Yeah I made a joke to my friend last week that Witcher was going to win GOTY for me by default of me not playing anything else all year.

now I'm not sure that was a joke, especially with the DLC coming.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Song from the Broken Flowers quest. It's not really a spoiler, but some peeps may want to experience it fresh.

Everyone else knows what this is all about, now in multi-language form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvAAfPs0UE

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Ok...is leveling just in general fairly slow in this game? When I got to Valen I think I was level 3 or 4. Felt like almost everything was much higher leveled than me when I got there.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    Ok...is leveling just in general fairly slow in this game? When I got to Valen I think I was level 3 or 4. Felt like almost everything was much higher leveled than me when I got there.

Yeah, it's fairly slow for a while. The storyline quests dole out considerably more experience than side quests and activities so you'll want to stick those those for a little bit where you are. There are lower level enemies in the northwestern part of Velen if you want to take a break from plot missions though.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I would definitely follow the main quest thread until you're at least level 7 or 8. That opens up a much larger chunk of Velen's side content. But really, Velen has side content up to level 24 or 25, so you'll be coming back to Velen over the course of the game.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Gah
    In the Wandering in the Dark quest cave there's an illusory rock that no matter where I position myself the button to diffuse it won't show up. So it's just sitting there mocking me with its hidden secrets.

• Options
    If you need some quick levels around level 8-11 or so, do the
    Pyres of Novigrad

questline and its followups. Lots of really fast quests, I was gaining like 1 level an hour.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Gah
    In the Wandering in the Dark quest cave there's an illusory rock that no matter where I position myself the button to diffuse it won't show up. So it's just sitting there mocking me with its hidden secrets.

I lot of illusion inspection spots are at "top" of the illusion, so you have to look upwards while standing in front of the illusion.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Didn't manage near enough hours as some here, but man is this game good. I think the biggest praise for the game is that it's not terrible at anything. The combat still feels a little weak, but it does everything so well. I feel it's the game every modern fantasy rpg (including skyrim) has tried to be and this is it, fully realized.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I got a bit of a bug scare playing last night. I was in a house looking for a dreamer and had to climb up a ladder that's kind of close to the wall in a narrow room.
    Every time I'd press A to climb the ladder Geralt would start his animation to get on, have some kind of collision issue and then fall off it. I tried to climb that ladder for like 10 minutes and it was a main quest mission.
    Reloading didn't seem to help. Finally after doing some general hopping and jumping next to the ladder and then climbing and pushing up in a hurry he seemed to clear whichever spot was causing him trouble.

Maybe I should have switched to Mouse and Keyboard to try climbing it.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've only run into two bugs so far. Once, Roach detached herself from the ground and decided to float around instead. The second was a bandit camp surrounded by a palisade decided not to spawn a bandit who actually held the key to the merchant in the cage. I'm hoping he'll just show up sometime later.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    One of the things I feel I'm starting to appreciate about this in comparison to the last open world game I played is that it keeps you feeling connected to the zones and sidequests you visit as you travel.

Theres a certain distance to things in Dragon Age Inquisition where you can feel very disconnected from the environment and population (outside of your awesome party members) at times when questing or talking to npcs in short conversations in the zoomed out fashion. They feel more involved here so far. Like theres abit more weight to everything.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I've had a few hilarious bugs, including a side quest that kept despawning and repeating dialog, but nothing game breaking.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I've had a few scattered bits of things moving around like from wind when they probably shouldn't like an overly jangling wolf medallion in a conversation while standing still, or Tamara's hair only half loading in then suddenly popping in. Stuff like that. Pretty minor. The ladder was starting to worry me.

Oh I also worked through a area completely backwards due to likely a bug letting me jump onto a closed drawbridge and tiptoeing around the tiny ledge to the other side instead of progressing into the place from the entrance in the water.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I wanted to go with a signs build but the griffin armor is my least favorite of the witcher armors. Urg.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    One of the things I feel I'm starting to appreciate about this in comparison to the last open world game I played is that it keeps you feeling connected to the zones and sidequests you visit as you travel.

Theres a certain distance to things in Dragon Age Inquisition where you can feel very disconnected from the environment and population (outside of your awesome party members) at times when questing or talking to npcs in short conversations in the zoomed out fashion. They feel more involved here so far. Like theres abit more weight to everything.

You're actually in populated areas. That makes a huge difference.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I wanted to go with a signs build but the griffin armor is my least favorite of the witcher armors. Urg.

The Griffin armor looks amazing as you start upgrading. One of the least garrish of the armor sets.

• Options
    edited May 2015

The enhanced armor gives I think 25% sign intensity. At level 15 taking it all of brought me down to a horrid 90% sign intensity (still wearing medium armor for perk bonus). The monster damage reduction is nice, but overall aesthetics and being able to slot more gems in other crafted armor made me go with other pieces mixing and matching.
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I've had a few scattered bits of things moving around like from wind when they probably shouldn't like an overly jangling wolf medallion in a conversation while standing still, or Tamara's hair only half loading in then suddenly popping in. Stuff like that. Pretty minor. The ladder was starting to worry me.

Oh I also worked through a area completely backwards due to likely a bug letting me jump onto a closed drawbridge and tiptoeing around the tiny ledge to the other side instead of progressing into the place from the entrance in the water.
    If you're talking about the Lighthouse with the Wyvern, what is hilarious about the videos showing people "terrain glitching" into the Light House from the side. . .is that the entrance is literally right next to the Place of Power, making the glitching kind of not needed (there are no enemies in the underwater entrance).

ED! on
  • Options

The enhanced armor gives I think 25% sign intensity. At level 15 taking it all of brought me down to a horrid 90% sign intensity (still wearing medium armor for perk bonus). The monster damage reduction is nice, but overall aesthetics and being able to slot more gems in other crafted armor made me go with other pieces mixing and matching.

If you're talking about the Lighthouse with the Wyvern, what is hilarious about the videos showing people "terrain glitching" into the Light House from the side. . .is that the entrance is literally right next to the Place of Power, making the glitching kind of not needed (there are no enemies in the underwater entrance).
    I did the "jumping across and climbing over the closed drawbridge" there too because I had no idea there was an underwater entrance, but when I went down there, there were a couple drowners guarding it.

• Options

I did the "jumping across and climbing over the closed drawbridge" there too because I had no idea there was an underwater entrance, but when I went down there, there were a couple drowners guarding it.

Yea. I think a LOT of people didn't read that:
    The crossbow is used underwater to murder them. Makes that area very nerve wracking to try otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.