As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] Age of Assembling at the new thread cause this one retired!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    If only Peter knew at that moment just how well Norman knew Gwen. :winky:
    18m3zmekanrsmpng.png

• Options
    Fantastika wrote: »
    I wasn't really excited for Dr. Strange but now all I can say is that I want it in front of my eyeballs as soon as possible.

Tilda Swinton in Dr. Strange

That's great and all she'll be an excellent Ancient One, personally I thought she'd have made a great Clea. What's disappointing is this takes away a non-caucasian role in the movie.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    18m3zmekanrsmpng.png

When did Tommy Lee Jones become the Green Goblin?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    To repeat what I said over on SE++:

I have mixed feelings about this Tilda Swinton thing.

On the one hand, she's a great actor, the MCU needs more prominent women, and the comics Ancient One is a blatant "Wise Old Asian Man On Top of a Mountain" stereotype. On the other hand, the MCU has even fewer prominent roles for Asians than it does for women, and there are ways to get around the worst of the cliches in the Ancient One's character, so to some extent this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Also, Swinton would have made a kickass Nightmare.

Really curious to see how they handle Wong, now.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wong will be played by Martin Freeman, and is introduced in Civil War. Obvi.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Marvel finally got their mitts on Spider-Man after all this time, there is no way in hell that they aren't doing Norman Osborne. I pretty much assumed that was a given.

Marvel is all like: First they gave us a Goblin Ranger, then they gave us old man sick Nick Nolte Osborne....Marvel wanting to do him properly is about the most obvious outcome.

Although I adore Willem Defoe's Goblin. He was amazing in all his hammy glory.

500px-Spider-man-norman-osborn-willem-dafoe-goblin-smile.png

It helped that Dafoe is an actual goblin.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

On the one hand, she's a great actor, the MCU needs more prominent women, and the comics Ancient One is a blatant "Wise Old Asian Man On Top of a Mountain" stereotype. On the other hand, the MCU has even fewer prominent roles for Asians than it does for women, and there are ways to get around the worst of the cliches in the Ancient One's character, so to some extent this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I dunno, I have difficulty getting too bent out of shape because a role that should have gone to this underrepresented group instead went to that underrepresented group.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    18m3zmekanrsmpng.png

God dammit

I'm starting to think Morgan was right about you, Dresden.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Eh, I'm not a big Swinton fan so it doesn't matter to me either way. It makes me think more of her being the mysterious reference character like she was in Constantine.

Ancient One probably dies at the end of the first act anyway when other bad guy super villain kills her with bending bullet magic waves.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    She did make a convincing old lady in The Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So I'm in the middle of my quarterly viewing of the Spawn HBO series, and while I know Spawn came after McFarlane left Marvel, I would really like to see a new Spawn movie.

Which got me thinking about how the 80's/90's Liefeld/Lee/McFarlane era stuff would fit into the MCU. I know they are making a Deadpool movie, but I'd like to see more pouches and impossibly large guns, so any interest in a Cable movie?

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    18m3zmekanrsmpng.png

When did Tommy Lee Jones become the Green Goblin?

when Mike Deodato Jr. started drawing him in Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers
    MDJr: A lot of people have remarked at how, visually, I've made him look a bit like Tommy Lee Jones – but they miss the other, more significant, part. The character is persuasive, and powerful, and has a lot of influence. Once I went down that path, Tommy Lee Jones inspired me further – I based some of Osborn's look and mannerisms on Jones' old college roommate, who is a well-known politician...

Jones' old roommate was Al Gore btw

Zavian on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    On Doctor Strange: I find it incredibly strange (Ba-Dum Tssh) that, on Tumblr at least, the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as the lead means that the movie is somehow ruined. There are some really vitriolic comments.

I mean, leaving aside any social issues, how the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch of all people is proof that Marvel has irrevocably fucked up is just beyond me.

edzepp on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    On Doctor Strange: I find it incredibly strange (Ba-Dum Tssh) that, on Tumblr at least, the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as the lead means that the movie is somehow ruined. There are some really vitriolic comments.

I mean, leaving aside any social issues, how the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch of all people is proof that Marvel has irrevocably fucked up is just beyond me.

Tumblr gonna Tumblr, yo.

I admit, I have my reservations; in every interview I've ever seen with him, he just seems to take everything way too seriously to pull off Strange. Then again, I don't really think they can do a Strange movie at all, so... yeah.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    He just has to find his inner ham.

But I was really amazed by how strongly negative the casting news was received there. I mean, it wasn't like everyone else was super-enthusiastic about it, but wow.

They must have really wanted Pedro Pascal.

edzepp on
  • Options
    The most common criticism I've heard regarding Cumberbatch is that he's too obvious a casting choice.

I think he'll probably be fine, personally. He had great dramatic presence as Khaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm guessing he can do Taco Sorcerer Supreme.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm still a little sad they didn't pick Alexander Siddig.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Avery Brooks would have made a great Dr. Strange.

dhbktt.jpg

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The most common criticism I've heard regarding Cumberbatch is that he's too obvious a casting choice.

I think he'll probably be fine, personally. He had great dramatic presence as Khaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm guessing he can do Taco Sorcerer Supreme.

Well, yeah. That was mostly the reaction everywhere else: "He'll do fine, but it's a safe choice."

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015

dhbktt.jpg

I didn't know I wanted this until I saw this post.

Holy hell that'd be amazing.

"The Sisko is tired of your shit." *punches Dormammu right in the flaming jaw*

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

dhbktt.jpg

Brooks would be a little TOO overwrought I think.

Like, love the guy but he goes hard and all in on this kind of shit and I think it'd go too far.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Avery Brooks saying "By the Hoary Hosts of Hogarth!" would be like the Witch in Willow, everyone around him turning into pigs in order to accommodate all that ham.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

dhbktt.jpg
    I still want him to be Ra's Al Ghul

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Fuck it. Deep Space Nine Marvel Movie. Make it happen Feige.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

After seeing him on GoT, so am I!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Siddig was my personal choice for Strange, but I can't be bent out of shape for Cumberpatch. He is a fantastic actor and he did pretty great selling himself as Kahn despite the ridiculous plot.

Swinton will do fine as the Ancient One.

My biggest curiosity is who will play Death in Strange.

Also, I'm really hoping the upcoming Iron Fist will include a meaty part for probably the most prominent Asian Marvel character, Shang-Chi. I mean, you can't do an Iron Fist show without Danny's BFF, can you? (BFF besides Cage, that is)

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    huh, Tilda Swinton coulda made a great Death, actually...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    My biggest curiosity is who will play Death in Strange.

Internet law dictates that we bring up Eva Green in response to any mention of someone playing Death in the MCU.

I'd be pretty OK with that, as it turns out.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The thing about Death is that it can be literally anyone or anything; Death appears as whatever you believe it should be.

Thus it could be anything from this
    grim_reaper_commission_by_n_deed-d5ivirq.jpg

to this
    Puma_Swede_DSC_0150.JPG

Or this
    George-Costanza.jpg

Or even this:
    81B8cmLWq1L._SL1419_.jpg

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'll take...
    Death_(DC_Comics).jpg
    or
    Death_Discworld.png

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Maybe the safe casting choice for Strange allows them a little more leeway in fitting in all the other craziness in the movie.

As for Death, Eva Green is definitely worth murdering half of the galaxy for. Jason Alexander works too, though. You know, either or.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They're gonna go safe now with the new characters because they need something to throw their hat on to get people to see it. It's why Rudd as Ant-Man makes sense, people know who Rudd is to make the whole "WTF Ant-man?" be an easier pill.

The dude playing Black Panther might not be as recognizable as Cumberpatch and Rudd, but when you say he's the guy who was Jackie Robinson and James Brown they'll go "oh yeah, I remember those were movies that existed recently, the one with Harrison Ford's mustache falling off on camera, right?"

I'm pretty sure were they not already cast in the MCU, T'Challa would have been Elba or Cheadle.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I dunno, I have difficulty getting too bent out of shape because a role that should have gone to this underrepresented group instead went to that underrepresented group.

Well for one, you aren't going to get any change in the underrepresentation if all you're doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you actually want to address the issue, and take for granted that there are only so many roles to go around, then I'd say it's 100% a problem unless they're changing male or non-white roles as well. Companies still do this thing where they hire black females for one job just to fulfill their "quota".

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Avery Brooks is ALREADY Dr. Strange. In real life. Like, the man is totally bonkers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Avery Brooks saying "By the Hoary Hosts of Hogarth!" would be like the Witch in Willow, everyone around him turning into pigs in order to accommodate all that ham.

I want the movie to crib the following line from Doctor Strange: The Oath, where the Doctor gets a bit peeved/flustered:
    "By the hoary f***ing hosts!"

Great way to get the one f-bomb in a PG-13 movie.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    On that note, if you're curious about Strange, find and read The Oath. Because it was great.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Marvel has for the most part been pretty fucking awesome when it comes to their casting decisions. I feel comfortable having faith in whoever they pick to play whatever part.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The could address the lack of asians in the MCU by borrowing a certain kick ass SHIELD agent

alls Im sayin...

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Houn wrote: »
    On that note, if you're curious about Strange, find and read The Oath. Because it was great.

It's on Marvel Unlimited. Pretty much the only standalone Dr. Strange story that's on the service.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Well for one, you aren't going to get any change in the underrepresentation if all you're doing is robbing Peter to pay Paul. If you actually want to address the issue, and take for granted that there are only so many roles to go around, then I'd say it's 100% a problem unless they're changing male or non-white roles as well. Companies still do this thing where they hire black females for one job just to fulfill their "quota".

It isn't about fulfilling a quota, it's about giving characters who aren't defined by their caucasian ancestry a chance to be played by minorities because there's no reason they can't do it now. And the fact that the lead roles in the movies are still dominated by white men. As well as giving minorities a shot at big roles in their movies. Age of Ultron did this with Helen Cho, Asian actors are very rare in those sort of roles and they lost one to Tilda Swinton, presumably. By adding minorities to roles they're definitely adding representation to their movies. Samuel L. Jackson is a huge success as Nick Fury in the MCU.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.