As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Can anyone invite or does it have to be someone like Corehealer?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Can anyone invite or does it have to be someone like Corehealer?

I believe an officer has to click the OK button once someone applies.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There is no one like @Corehealer.

steam_sig.png
    I'll try and remember to log in when I get home and invite you if you haven't been already.

steam_sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Also are any of the FC on right now? Would adore an invite.

I'm X'Khebica Fijah if anyone is.

Taken care of.

488W936.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Normally we have a screening process for new applicants but it generally only applies to people from outside the PA community, like the average joe adventurer fresh off the streets of the city states. The application screening mainly consists of common sense things like Don't Be a Dick and an intro to the FC forums on enjin.

Sion, officers and chat mods like me, the Tachikomas, can invite people to the FC, but generally we need to bring them into a screening LS for a few mins to give them the rules before we invite.

PA peeps get a pass on that because they know all that already from experience on these forums and the Glorious Edict.
    There is no one like @Corehealer.

Nyan.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Quake Me Up Before You O'Ghomoro
    Ifrit Ain't Broke
    Nine Ilm Snails

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So I was talking to a friend about FFXIV and he made the observation that when he played the game early on after it was released that cliques were very quick to form for anyone doing the harder raid content. Is this still what one should expect when one gets to the post 50 content (raid, EX content, non-echo content) or is it less cliquey. The fear is that once a clique forms it becomes very difficult for new players to get into the harder content without going out and forming their own clique. How accurate is this observation/prediction with the current state of the game?

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This game has some fun localization. A lot of dumb sillyness in some of the quest names I wouldn't have imagined were there originally like "breaking bud" and "parasite cleave" for example.

Time will tell if the gameplay hooks me but the world is pretty charming so far. Crafting seems a lil weird, not sure how far down that rabbit hole I'm going to go.

Fun fact: The Japanese version did not originally have most of the localization puns and jokes. They got such a great reception however that they ended up working them back into the Japanese version. Koji Fox and his team are largely responsible for this.
    This game has some fun localization. A lot of dumb sillyness in some of the quest names I wouldn't have imagined were there originally like "breaking bud" and "parasite cleave" for example.

Time will tell if the gameplay hooks me but the world is pretty charming so far. Crafting seems a lil weird, not sure how far down that rabbit hole I'm going to go.

Fun fact: The Japanese version did not originally have most of the localization puns and jokes. They got such a great reception however that they ended up working them back into the Japanese version. Koji Fox and his team are largely responsible for this.

Two words.

Erotic. Piercings.

I had a solid giggle over "East End Boy" and "West End Girl" during the Christmas event. I would put money down it came from Radiohead Guy. And then there was the Useless Rock during the early Hildibrand questline.

Love went into the incidental text in this game.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    There is no one like Corehealer.

And yet, my twin.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Got to be in a CT raid with Mr. Happy today.

That was neat.

IKknkhU.gif
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So I was talking to a friend about FFXIV and he made the observation that when he played the game early on after it was released that cliques were very quick to form for anyone doing the harder raid content. Is this still what one should expect when one gets to the post 50 content (raid, EX content, non-echo content) or is it less cliquey. The fear is that once a clique forms it becomes very difficult for new players to get into the harder content without going out and forming their own clique. How accurate is this observation/prediction with the current state of the game?

Not really. I did the first three 8 man bosses entirely through pugs back around launch, since server transfers hadn't opened yet and half my friends were on another server. Right now even on my relatively casualol server I see pugs all the time in party finder for learning/farming Final Coil, which is the current end game until expansion. Half of my static is taking time off before the expansion, so even now all my off class farming is in partial pugs.

24 man content is like WoW's version of Raid Finder, there are still mechanics to deal with but it's relatively easy content for MMO vets. And you just queue up for it, so no hunting for groups. The gear you get in 24 mans is a step behind whatever the current 8 man is. In the expansion they plan to have an easier story mode of the 8 mans and a harder version, so you'll be able to experience all the storyline without being "hardcore."

Obviously if you want to be more efficient with your time it's worthwhile to get into a static group of people for 8 mans, since in pugs you'll have people with different experience all the time. It's definitely not required though. From performing well in Party Finder pugs I've ended up in "raider" Linkshells, making it even easier to find pugs, meet more good players, end up in more linkshells, etc.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Not really. I did the first three 8 man bosses entirely through pugs back around launch, since server transfers hadn't opened yet and half my friends were on another server. Right now even on my relatively casualol server I see pugs all the time in party finder for learning/farming Final Coil, which is the current end game until expansion. Half of my static is taking time off before the expansion, so even now all my off class farming is in partial pugs.

24 man content is like WoW's version of Raid Finder, there are still mechanics to deal with but it's relatively easy content for MMO vets. And you just queue up for it, so no hunting for groups. The gear you get in 24 mans is a step behind whatever the current 8 man is. In the expansion they plan to have an easier story mode of the 8 mans and a harder version, so you'll be able to experience all the storyline without being "hardcore."

Obviously if you want to be more efficient with your time it's worthwhile to get into a static group of people for 8 mans, since in pugs you'll have people with different experience all the time. It's definitely not required though. From performing well in Party Finder pugs I've ended up in "raider" Linkshells, making it even easier to find pugs, meet more good players, end up in more linkshells, etc.
    Was wondering just how hardcore or approachable the raiding is in this so thats a relief.

edited June 2015
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Was wondering just how hardcore or approachable the raiding is in this so thats a relief.

When the "hard" 8 mans (Coil) first come out, everyone in your group (pug or static) has to be pretty on point with their class and pretty up to date on gear. There are hard DPS enrages, deaths are punishing, everything hits like a freight train, etc. As the weeks progress the difficulty decreases due to the ilevel increase everyone can get with gear purchased with the capped weekly currency. (Currently tomestones of Poetics)

Then the next patch will drop which releases the 24 man, allowing everyone to get an even better ilevel boost, easing the content even more. The 24 mans are super forgiving, and are a great way for new MMO players to learn boss tactics that are required for the "hard" content. (Look away for this cast, group up, spread out, don't stand in stuff, etc)

Also if you plan on jumping into a Party Finder group, it's kind of important to know what the wording means:
    Learning party: Just that, go in expecting to wipe a bunch and learn encounters by doing them. If it's content that's been out for a while it's highly recommended you at least read up/watch a video for mechanics, if it's new content just jump in and have fun.
    Clear party: You're expected to have a good knowledge of the entire encounter, but haven't necessarily completed it previously.
    Farm party/no bonus: You should know the encounter like the back of your hand, have completed it previously, can perform your role with little/no guidance.
    Teaching party: Kind of a unicorn, I see these get popular from time to time on my server. Basically the seasoned vets that have been farming content for months set up groups to teach new folks encounters.

Ishtaar on
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Also, people really really dislike it if you jump into a PF farm group and you haven't got a clear.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited June 2015
    Is there anyone to hide specific quests from showing up on screen or an easy toggle I'm missing? I don't really want every random quest just taking up monitor real estate on the right side of the screen but I like being able to see what fates I'm walking into and whatnot without constantly going in out of the hud settings for character configuration.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    i115

Unlocked Shiva (Hard) earlier today, and loved it.
    Also finally managed to unlock Expert roulette. (Large part in getting to i115 today.)
    Not a lot of crafting done today, but have all DoH at lvl 23-30, DoL 20-25.
    Want to get DoH to 45 (repairs), but not gonna sit down and grind that out. Prefer to just do the GC turn-ins once in a while, while I focus on the main story. Or that's what I tell myself before I run off and do some class quests, or level my Marauder through Guildhests, and Conjurer through Low Level Roulettes.

I love this game.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, bought the Collector's Edition version of Heavensward and subbed for 30 days. Patching now, but I should be on later tonight. Can't wait to get back in and get caught up before Heavensward drops. And apparently there's Triple Triad now :o

Stabbity_Style.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    making some questionable life choices right now
    like working on desynthesis to get supras, and getting mastery books while they're still hard

why would i do these things, what madness possesseth me?
    do we think the crafting/gathering relic chains will remain relevant?

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    making some questionable life choices right now
    like working on desynthesis to get supras, and getting mastery books while they're still hard

why would i do these things, what madness possesseth me?
    do we think the crafting/gathering relic chains will remain relevant?

My personal speculation is that the current crafting stuff will be similar to the PvE gear. Having them now will be a big advantage but you should expect them to be flushed out with new shinies before 60.
    As for the current Mastercraft stuff, I don't think they'll be necessary for level 51+ stuff

Do what you want because you want to do it without worrying about the what-ifs after the expansion hits.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Desynthesis might be worth leveling up now. It depends on if they make it much easier to level or not. After the 50 point mark it slows down a lot.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Just desynth fish.

It won't get you anything worthwhile.

But you can pretend you're making progress at it!

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Please tell me I'm not the only Ninja whose rotation just goes completely to shit at times during some of the stuff in Final Coil.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    2.2 content done.

Now that means I should be able to blow through 2.3 and some Syrcus Tower runs this weekends for ilvl.

I've got this guys. I'm pretty damn sure I've got this.

Also.. desynthesis is a thing you level? How does that work?

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    2.2 content done.

Now that means I should be able to blow through 2.3 and some Syrcus Tower runs this weekends for ilvl.

i am 10 quests from the end....i just got to the steps of faith, but while waiting in queue the internet or sargantas itself started crapping out and i was unable to get back into the game
    hopefully tonight before we see mad max i'll be able to get through that trial and finish the rest of the story tomorrow

so close

also, i'm at nearly 700 poetics, i'm wondering if i should wait and replace my chest or replace two cheaper slots instead....hmmm....my chestpiece is so uuuuuggglllyyy

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I got a usable PC for gaming recently, and with Splatoon in the house , I think I'll be needing it for FFXIV in the foreseeable future.

So, do I need to buy the game again in PC form, or is it like some games where having a current account and subscription enough to get you to the login window in whichever format?

Unfortunately you have to buy it again for PC.

steam_sig.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That's total bullhonkey. Ah well. So it goes.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    BEAST! wrote: »
    2.2 content done.

i am 10 quests from the end....i just got to the steps of faith, but while waiting in queue the internet or sargantas itself started crapping out and i was unable to get back into the game
    hopefully tonight before we see mad max i'll be able to get through that trial and finish the rest of the story tomorrow

so close

also, i'm at nearly 700 poetics, i'm wondering if i should wait and replace my chest or replace two cheaper slots instead....hmmm....my chestpiece is so uuuuuggglllyyy

The general idea is to get the biggest ilvl upgrade or the piece that has the best secondary stats for your Job.

Like the Dragoon poetics pants are crit/det and BiS.

They're a big improvement over the soldiery pants.

Yukira on
    2.2 content done.

so close

Get the chest piece.

Fashion is important.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I got a usable PC for gaming recently, and with Splatoon in the house , I think I'll be needing it for FFXIV in the foreseeable future.

So, do I need to buy the game again in PC form, or is it like some games where having a current account and subscription enough to get you to the login window in whichever format?

Did you buy the game already on PC or was it on console?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    2.2 content done.

so close

The general idea is to get the biggest ilvl upgrade or the piece that has the best secondary stats for your Job.

Like the Dragoon poetics pants are crit/det and BiS.

They're a big improvement over the soldiery pants.
    ahhh, yeah i guess that makes more sense than my current fashion based decision making

i guess then at that point my decision is between:
    chest upgrade
    +16 str
    +5 det

leg upgrade
    +11 str
    +31 det

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    I think the usual stat weighting of primary stat vs secondary is 1:4 or maybe 1:5? In that case the +26 more det the legs have over the chest slightly edges out the +5 str difference.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2015
    FFXIV:Heavensward Early Access Details!

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/cebcb45223906c06e74e0b62c2723b86c22fee5f

You'll definitely want to read this if you've pre-ordered and are waiting on early access.

Some important new info from that post as well:

Regarding the Early Access game client

Windows/Steam users
    Users who have registered their early access codes and are currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will have their game client updated automatically as we near early access and will not need to download a separate client. Users who do not have the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn client can download it here.
    (http://sqex.to/ffxiv_client_en)

PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 (physical package version)
    After registering the pre-order promotion code*, you will be prompted to download the client from PlayStation Store. * This is scheduled to be delivered before the start of early access.

PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 (PSN download version)
    After pre-ordering from PlayStation Store, you will be prompted to enable automatic downloads to have the game pre-loaded on your console starting June 17, 2015. The Heavensward software will be available for pre-load two days before Early Access begins and will automatically download to your PS3/PS4 if automatic downloads are enabled. (Click here to learn how to enable pre-loading on PS3/PS4.)

In-game bonus item distribution information
    Items will be distributed to users who have registered their pre-order bonus codes via in-game Mog Letter starting Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT).

End of Early Access
    Early access will end on Saturday, June 27, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. in the time zone for the registered account’s region. Please register the full registration code/promotion code for FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward before this time to continue playing after the Early Access period.
    * Users who pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 / PlayStation®4 download version will already be fully registered from the time they pre-ordered the game, so they will not need to register a separate promotion code.

* During the early access period, there will be no restrictions on what content you can discuss, post, or stream while following the Material Usage License Agreement. However, we ask that early access users please be considerate and refrain from posting spoiler-related content as there are those players who may start at the official launch, or play at their own pace.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    I think the usual stat weighting of primary stat vs secondary is 1:4 or maybe 1:5? In that case the +26 more det the legs have over the chest slightly edges out the +5 str difference.
    Right around there. You can get the generally accepted stat weights per job from http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/ BiS solver button under the item level slider.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Oh that's neat. I thought they would end it on the 23rd and screw anyone waiting for their shipment to come in to resume play.

Good on ya Squenix.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Oh that's neat. I thought they would end it on the 23rd and screw anyone waiting for their shipment to come in to resume play.

Good on ya Squenix.

No, they give a few days leeway - they did this with the ARR PS4 release as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Little bit of lore on the new jobs, might not be new info, but it's presented nicely.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/38981ceda05802376f0d22f6ee8e143ec401bb17

delphinidaes.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Will we be able to race change into the new race? Au Ra looks perfect for my Dark Knight.

Pre-ordered the collector's edition so I should get that potion to change appearance/race and I assume we can do it with that?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Finally got into the gold saucer.

Triple triad and chocobo racing. This is where I live now.

This discussion has been closed.