As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress: New Ver. RELEASED! Now in 3 ASCII dimensions! (NSF56K)

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
THE NEW VERSION IS HERE! AT LONG LAST!
Z-axis, fluid dynamics, and a hell of a lot more than I can remember off the top of my head!

Get it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_27_169_33a.zip
Extract the files from the zip into the folder of your choice, then run dwarfort.exe. Simple!

As of now, a lot of the info in this OP is out of date. I'll fix it someday. Maybe. If I'm not to busy drowning my dwarves.

And I have written a more up-to-date tutorial, which is available here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Your_first_fortress
And here's another: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Quickstart_guide
PA currently has a succession game going on! http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/PA_Succession:_Kadolmorul (now defunct? -Bzero)

Welcome to the mountainhome of the dwarves! Starting out with a hardy band of seven pioneers, you will be beset on all sides by the threat of starvation, exposure, rampant idiocy, inexperience, tantrums, monkey attacks, hostile goblins, kleptomaniacal kobolds, accidental drownings, those goddamn hippy elves, being set on fire, upper class nobles that will make lives hell for your peasantry, and the mortal enemies of the dwarves, elephants. ELEPHANTS! OH GOD THEY'RE IN THE FORTRESS!

dfsig.gif

So what's Dwarf Fortress? It's a rather bizarre little roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.

start_at_cliff.PNG
So you start out with a tiny band of 7 dwarves, a few wagons, mules, horses, and enough supplies to make sure you dont starve... maybe.

fortress.jpg
With a little luck (and if those goddamn monkeys dont steal all your food off the wagons again), your fortress will make it past the first winter. Or more likely it will collapse and you'll start up a new fortress, avoiding the mistakes of the first.

dmine-slaughter.jpg
...before it all ends in a tide of blood and dwarf parts

And then you start AGAIN!

Get the game here!:STRIKE THE EARTH!

The ever helpful Dwarf Fortress wiki
How not to starve during your first winter.

The previous G&T DF thread
And the SA DF thread, the Goons have plenty of DF chatter too.

And of course THE EPIC SAGA OF BOATMURDERED which is a must-read.

Valkun's exceedingly long, semi detailed, and verbose guide to helping aspiring architects and overlords in playing Dwarf Fortress Mode:
Valkun wrote: »

Edit: Hmm, now that I look at it. It's anything but a quick guide.

Getting Started:
When you first start the game you'll have to generate a world, which can take anywhere from fifteen minutes to quite a bit longer if its having bad luck.

Before even talking about what starting setup is optimal for your journey, let's begin with an overview of the goals you'll need to accomplish within the first year:
1. Food
2. Alcohol
3. Build a Trade Depot (road will come later)
4. Create trade goods

Obviously, without food your dwarves will go into a feral state of hunting vermin and eating other unsanitary objects before losing all sanity and turning on one another. To obtain said food, there are five methods available.

Farming: Farming is the most productive method of creating a sustainable foodsource for your fort but also hard to pull off for new players. To begin, farms must be built on top of mud which is washed onto the cavern floor either by natural or artificial floods. To create an artifical flood chamber you'll need the following: 5 mechanisms(mechanics workshop), 2 floodgates(mason's workshop), door(s)(mason's workshop).

After finding the interior river, dig out a room making sure it is completely inclosed and not touching the river (build a bridge across if you can't see EXACTLY how the river is bending). Now, you'll need to build the chamber as follows:

X - floodgate
L - Lever
D - Door
W - Wall
~ - River

..WWWWWWWWW~~~~
LW....................WW~~~~
..D.....................X X~~~~
..W....................WW~~~
..WWWWWWWWW~~~~

Note that this is far smaller than what you'll need but it'll show you the general design idea.

1. Dig out room and spaces for the flood gates.
2. Install floodgate closest to the river.
3. Install the lever someplace outside of the room.
4. Go to the lever and "link" it to the installed floodgate.
5. Attach the door so that the water can't escape the room.
6. After the lever is linked (the mechanic will take a mechanism to the lever and the floodgate), install the second floodgate.
7. Link this second floodgate to the lever.
8. Make sure everyone is out of the room, go to the door with Q and LOCK it.
9. Go to the lever and give it a Pull job.
10. Wait for water to fill the chamber and then assign a second pull job.
11. Unlock the door.
12. Assign plots under the B menu, look for Farm Plot. Use U/M to change its height and K/H to change its width. Each plot can only be seeded by a single plant type at a time so make multiple plots.
13. Dwarves with the Farming(Fields) job activated in their list will automatically plant seeds into the plots. Different plants grow in different seasons (Plump Helmet grows in all but winter).

The mud will last until the winter and must be reflooded during the next spring.

Fishing: Fishing is the easiest method of gaining food and is as easily done as assigning dwarves the Fish job in their list. The fish they catch are in a "raw" state and must be cleaned at a Fishery built from the B menu. Only those dwarves with the Fish(Cleaning) will process the raw fish into a useable form. Most maps will have an abundance of fish but some more extreme environments (glacier/desert) will be unfishable from the outside.

Hunting: An incredibly involved method of obtaining food and other materials (leather,bones,fat). First, dwarves who you wish to go hunting must have the Hunting job activated on their job list. These dwarves will then go out with their weapon (*M*ilitary, *W*eapons) and hunt the local fauna. Make sure to take a look at what animals exist in your local environment from the *U*nits screen. Remember your starting dwarves are undertrained and likely unarmed and wouldn't stand a chance against a Sasquatch, Elephant, or many other animals but a gopher is reasonable. Once slain, the hunter will drag the corpse back to the nearest butcher shop. There, the corpse must be butchered while its still fresh to obtain meat, leather, bones, fat, and skulls.

Gathering: One of the slowest and least effective means of gathering food, designate shrubs (default ") using the *D*esignations and any dwarves with the Plant Gathering job enabled will go around to collect the shrubs. Not every shrub yields an item. One particularly useful item to look for is the Quarry Bush grown inside of caves, once found you can process these at a Farmer's Workshop and plant the resulting seed inside your fields.

Trade: Most of the visitors to your fortress will bring food along with them for trading(but don't depend on it).

Alcohol can be made from the various crops and gathered plants at a Still from the Site a *B*uilding menu, under workshops. Each plant unit that goes into the creation will yield five units of alcohol. You'll need barrels (Carpenter's Shop) to store the alcohol in. If your dwarves go for a long period without anything to drink but water they WILL get a bit unruly so keep that in mind and keep it flowing.

Trade goods can be created from any number of sources but the most commonly used ones are made from Stone, Bone, and Shell depending on whatever is on hand. Do not use light or dark stones for trade goods (despite their higher value) because they can be used for more useful purposes. Obsidian for obsidian swords that have the same damage as Steel and Limestone for Fertilizer and Steel.

Now, for something a bit more advanced, City Planning.
There are some critical concepts that must be understood if you want to have your fortress running like a well oiled machine.

Corridor Bandwidth: Like data travelling through your modem, there is a limit to how many people can move through your cooridors. If two dwarves (or everything else that moves) meets and must travel past one another, one will take a long time to lay down upon the ground while the other passes. To a lesser extent, if there is space to move, two units will sidestep one another to pass (still takes time). For these reasons, you want to have wide, regularly spaced hallways running through your fortress so that there are no bottlenecks present. Also keep this in mind for rooms, they'll need to have more than one entrance otherwise they'll face the same bottleneck trying to get in and out.

Manufacturing Throughput: Put related industries close to one another so that there is less time spent traveling from one location to the next. This includes the relevant stockpiles (Even better with custom stockpiles). For instance, it's a good idea to keep your Farmer's Workshop close to the farms to spin pigtail thread, a loom nearby to turn that thread into cloth, then finally the clothier to turn that cloth into useable items. There are a great number of interdependencies in the game and as you play through you'll figure out what needs to be near what.

Living Space: For the most part, dwarves are perfectly happy living in a 1x1 room on a decent bed and can be crammed like sardines into a big room. However, make sure that these rooms are away from digging and workshops as these will interrupt your dwarves' sleep. Nobles, on the other hand, require multiple rooms to house their study, dining room, and bedroom and there are a LOT of nobles. Make certain to keep space allocated for these snobby headaches.

If and when Toady finally releases the 3d Dwarf Fortress, a lot of the old paradigms designed by us veterans will have be shattered completely. But for now, this is MY starting build/strategy and my dwarves are never wiped out. (Usually I'll abandon if the area isn't challening enough or the river is too close to the front of the fort due to aesthetic reasons).

Starting Build:
Proficient Miner, Proficient Mason
Proficient Miner, Novice Mechanic
Proficient Carpenter, Novice Woodcutter
Novice Fisherdwarf
Novice Fisherdwarf
Proficient Grower
Proficient Grower

No animals.
-1 Axe
-Starting Meat/Helmets
16 Plump Helmet Spawn
8 Pig Tail Seed
8 Cave Wheat Seed
8 Sweet Pod Seed
8 Dimple Dye Spawn
11 of each Dwarven Booze
<10 Turtles
Rest of the points go to getting more of the above but those are a minimum

Animals are expensive and immigrants always bring a ton of the things with them anyways so I don't bother with them. Some say to take one of each meat to get extra barrels, but unless you're on a really wood scarce map, it's not that hard to get barrels.

As for choice of map, it's really up to you. Stay away from glaciers, deserts, maps with no trees, untamed wildernesses/protected wilds/sinister/terrifying maps unless you're in for a real challenge as these will prevent you from harnessing resources that are plentiful on other maps.

The First Year in Detail:

First, designate a 3 wide cooridor from the front of the fortress straight inward until the miners hit the river. This normally takes anywhere from a month to two months. I undesignate every job on the miners except for their Masonry/Mechanics so that they can focus on digging exclusively.

The carpenter is set to destroy the wagons, build a carpenter's shop, and 7 beds. The beds won't take too long so after that I have him make trade goods out of shells and Crossbows/Bolts out of fish bones.

The fisherdwarves fish.

For now, the growers are used as porters and fish cleaners, moving the food into stockpiles indoors and away from would be thieves.

After finally finding the river, I set up a 1 wide bridge to get a way across/reveal the river better. I then design something like this(I actually keep the main cooridor 5 tiles high so I offset the farm by one when designing it):

farm050507.GIF

While the miners are preparing the farm as described above (I'll usually build 4 tables and chairs at this time), the rest continue to fish, process, and make trade goods/ammo. The farm is usually ready by late spring/early summer. The 2 growers become exclusive planters (remove all their other jobs).

Sometime in the summer, a blacksmith will arrive, possibly with a small entourage. The small amount of booze won't hold out through the winter so I'll usually convert the blacksmith into a brewer (Seriously, who can possibly even think of blacksmithing this early?). The accompanying peasant will become a cook/fish cleaner/whatever else needs to be done. I'll usually build a trade depot right outside the fort around this time.

In the fall, dwarves from your capital will arrive bringing food, leather, cloth, etc. Meat is cheap, cheese is very expensive. Unfortunately, until you get the manager (book keeper?) you won't be able to see the prices of the items, so just barter the best you can. They won't get angry at bad deals on your end.

Its then all up to the random number generator as to when your first immigrants arrive. In the last game (I played exactly as above), I had something like 200 Fish/Edible Plants/Meals and 75 booze at the start of winter although my first immigrants didn't arrive until Spring. Winter is usually the time I set the fisherdwarves and growers to full time porters to get everything organized. Then I'll just have them mass detail (1st level only) my fortress to give them something to do. Both of my miners were legendary by the end of winter despite taking breaks to do masonry and trap making.

Be prepared for incoming immigrants, they'll often come in groups of greater than 20 when you're least expecting it. Build beds ahead of time, keep large stockpiles of food and alcohol on hand. As you get more dwarves, make sure to specialize them by focusing them on only one or two jobs. Try to get an idea of how many dwarves it takes to perform a certain task. Ex: Making leather objects requires: Hunters, Butcher, Tanner, and a Leatherworker. And never underestimate the value of peasants. For the most part, I disable hauling on most of my dwarves except for a sizable group of porters. This allows the other dwarves to focus on their jobs rather than running around doing one job, then going all the way across it to do another, etc etc. It should also be noted that workshops and other jobs look for available dwarves, not the other way around. So if you need something done right now and there's an idle dwarf that should be doing it. Try cancelling the job and setting it again, this will usually grab that dwarf.

Beginning of Spring, Year 2:
fort050707.GIF

To be honest, I don't think I've ever scratched the surface of the complexities of DF. So I'll just say to try to play the game slowly and in stages, learning from your mistakes. The stages go as follows:
1. Small fortress - Micromanagement, diversified workforce.
2. Small to medium fortress - Macromanagement, more specialized workforce.
3. Medium to large fortress - Macroeconomic, demanding nobles, sieges. (Don't mint coins until you've gotten a hang of the game, the start of the economy can and will cripple your fortress if you don't understand it.) For example, royal rooms with masterwork furniture and double detailed walls might be great before the economy, but few dwarves will be unable to afford such a room afterwards.

TL : DR God, I don't blame you. This is what happens when you really want to put off studying.

FAQ
AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys.

Q - assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
T - much like Q, but works for sTructures. Use this when you want to examine/destroy a structure that is not a workshop. Also useful for peeking at the contents of a workshop to see how cluttered it is.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. Pressing enter examines the object in greater detail (if any).
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.

I built a bridge, but it looked ugly so I demolished it. The new one never gets built because of pathing errors!
Common mistake. Never cut off the fortress. The dwarf builders are trying to get to material/worksites on the other side of the river/chasm, but cant because there's no bridge anymore. Avoid this by always having spare bridges. If this has already happened, build stone blocks at your masonry workshop and use those to build your new bridge, ensuring that you're using accessible materials.

How do I change the game resolution/settings/colours/etc?
In the data/init directory is init.txt, a well documented file which contains all sorts of DF settings.

Run this on a Mac?
User Sleep reports that Crossover works fine. I've no experience with this though.

I'd play this if only it had graphics
RARRRGH, but if you must, there's replacement tile and object graphics you can use along with install instructions on these pages:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Object_Tilesets
A repacked version with a tileset ready to go

What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!

Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

How do I back up my save game?
A good idea, since the game is only in alpha, and does crash (rarely), but if it does, it can corrupt your entire world.
Make a copy of the data/save directory and keep it somewhere safe. To restore, delete your entire data/save directory and replace it with your copy. NOT DELETING IT FIRST WILL CAUSE ERRORS.

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man i want to play df again but all i have is 3 hours a day to do anything other then work or sleep :|

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh awesome, toady just added grates and hatches. Video of them in action: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-40-gratehatch

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait for the new version. Using this newly discovered "z-axis" I will burrow beneath the grass and trees to turn it all into a hidden deathtrap, and take revenge on my ancestral nemesis. Those elephants will never know what hit them!

Mith on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread is exactly a few weeks early. its going to get to 15 pages when the new release hits.

Then hell will break loose.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mith wrote: »
    I can't wait for the new version. Using this newly discovered "z-axis" I will burrow beneath the grass and trees to turn it all into a hidden deathtrap, and take revenge on my ancestral nemesis. Those elephants will never know what hit them!

Fool, do you think that E will be so easily tricked?

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Wait, why did we start a new thread instead of waiting a week or two to coincide with the next release? :?

'Cause the old thread was 100+ pages long and people still want to talk about Dwarf Fortress?

Walrus Pete on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    10/16/2007: Added hatch cover and grate items and associated jobs, added hatch/wall grate/floor grate/vertical bars/floor bars buildings, made sure workers are permitted for each building component before attempting to make a building, reset storage counter on newly designated dump items, fixed problem with projectiles vs. floors/ceilings, added spike tag for trap components, adding ability to place upright spears and spikes, added falling damage and corpse impalement for unretracted spike buildings, tweaked edge sinks

I came.

Fleeb on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dwarf Fortress is great. My biggest issue with it, is the sheer amount of time it requires. Unfortunately I don't have much time to play anymore, though I'll try to arrange something as soon as the new version comes out.
    Fleeb wrote: »
    10/16/2007: Added hatch cover and grate items and associated jobs, added hatch/wall grate/floor grate/vertical bars/floor bars buildings, made sure workers are permitted for each building component before attempting to make a building, reset storage counter on newly designated dump items, fixed problem with projectiles vs. floors/ceilings, added spike tag for trap components, adding ability to place upright spears and spikes, added falling damage and corpse impalement for unretracted spike buildings, tweaked edge sinks

I came.

Punji sticks!

Rhan9 on
    edited October 2007
    As I understand it, the 100 page rule is still in effect because when they get that big they become intimidating for people to join in on.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Infinity Minus OneInfinity Minus One __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    If people are too intimidated to join a 100 page thread, what the hell makes you think they won't be intimidated to play Dwarf Fortress?

This thread is waayyy to early. It should be deleted and we should wait till the release.

Infinity Minus One on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's no reason that a new thread can't be created when the new version is released. To be honest, I stopped reading the last thread because it got to be too long, and only came into this one because I thought the new version was finally released :x.

Valkun on
    edited October 2007
    What the hell do you guys do, manually crawl through every page of a thread until you reach the end, like a climber struggling up mount everest or something? I cannot comprehend why someone would be bothered by a 100 page thread. Or even a 1000 page thread.

You cannot expect to read every single post ever made in this forum.

I was excited when I saw this thread because I also thought the new version was released. That's two times now that I've been tricked into believing the new version was released. God damn.

Infinity Minus One on
  • GladiGladi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    This thread is exactly a few weeks early. its going to get to 15 pages when the new release hits.

Bright day
    The general consensus has been "few weeks" for almost two months now.

Gladi on
    edited October 2007
    Well if people donated money to toady it would be done even faster.

Infinity Minus One on
    edited October 2007
    Gladi wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Bright day
    The general consensus has been "few weeks" for almost two months now.

No.. we could clearly see the tasks left to do, and counted them as they dropped.

When they all got to zero, people had a shit fit.... and then the testing notes came up.

At the rate they are dropping, and in Toady's own words to his progress.. a couple weeks is right on.. for an october release

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Well if people donated money to toady it would be done even faster.
    I'm afraid that's not how it works. He works full-time on it, 7 days a week already. More money won't make him able to work faster than that, although it will help ensure that he will be able to continue working on it full-time.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MiglioriMigliori Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I await in fear of what it will do to my free time, and not so free time.

Migliori on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    10/16/2007:added spike tag for trap components, adding ability to place upright spears and spikes, added falling damage and corpse impalement for unretracted spike buildings,

I like how the thread title was unintentionally a prediction of somesorts. This, grates and screwpumps promises fortresses and dungeons of Indiana Jones quality.

You could probably make some overpowered traps with the new features easily, but I don't mind. Ridiculous traps of doom are required for any fortress worth it's weight. It would be awesome to pass around a really old well developed world and try to raid each other's long lost fortresses full of daring traps and switch puzzles.

Does the new version have proper climbing to escape all those pits of doom people will dig? I believe so, but I wonder if ropes will show some use in combination with climbing. Ooh, I hope we get make-shift rope bridges one day, that degrade over time and can snap under weight.

peterdevore on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wait.. a z-axis? how will that work?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited October 2007
    Does the new version have proper climbing to escape all those pits of doom people will dig? I believe so, but I wonder if ropes will show some use in combination with climbing. Ooh, I hope we get make-shift rope bridges one day, that degrade over time and can snap under weight.
    No climbing in this coming version. I think it's on the list of things to do eventually.

Right now forts are in a flat plane. The z-axis means there will be more planes above and below the starting elevation. So you will be able to dig up and down, and have things like sloped ground on the surface and whatnot. It's like the different floors of a roguelike dungeon, only more so.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I cheesed adventure mode accidentally, I had a full party and they all keeled over from the frost, so I traveled over to another town, got another full party, came back to the original town, so now I have double the limit

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Right now forts are in a flat plane. The z-axis means there will be more planes above and below the starting elevation. So you will be able to dig up and down, and have things like sloped ground on the surface and whatnot. It's like the different floors of a roguelike dungeon, only more so.

but how will it be presented visually? there's already a lot to process already

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited October 2007
    Check out the movies toady linked to on the bay12games.com page... they are in flash, so you don't need to load them into your game to see them.

They show multiple levels quite well.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wren wrote: »

You get used to it. I don't even see it encoded anymore, all I see is blonde... brunette... redhead... err dwarf, elf, goblin.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It figures that as soon as I solve my farm problem, monkeys would attack and cause my farmer to get unhappy.

Metalbourne on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nooo, i was doing good in adventure mode, but now my bow got knocked out of my hand, and I cant re-equip it for some reason, and all my body parts are intact

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You fucks. I thought it had been released, due to new thread and all.

You got me all excited and then I found out the awful truth. You should all be ashamed. ASHAMED!

MechMantis on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    You fucks. I thought it had been released, due to new thread and all.

You got me all excited and then I found out the awful truth. You should all be ashamed. ASHAMED!

The exact same thing happened to me. I am impossibly disappointed at the moment. :cry:

RandomKit on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GenericFan wrote: »
    So, basically, he built a makeshift silo, pushed a mule into its depths, then filled it with water. D:

:D

gilrain on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked when he broke a hole in the side of the silo, but the dwarves still dutifully did their best to keep it filled as the water was gushing out. Left to their own devices, I imagine they would've eventually flooded the world.

Garthor on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else see the video where Toady constructs a bridge above ground level outside the mountain? I submit to such possibilities as: firing posts for dwarf archers (obvious but functional), noble disposal (what a nice balcony... with a trap door that drops you twenty stories into an unsuspecting siege army, causing a massive explosion of deadly noble bone shrapnel and viscera), insane dwarf disposal, water cannons which fire stones, magma cannons which fire magma and flame, etc etc etc. Frankly, I am very dissapointed in myself for highly anticipating such hideous actions... but I can live with that. My enemies, however, will not be able live with angry elephant bombs, noble explosions, crushing flood stones, being burned alive well away from my fortress, to name a few things.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread is just going to make everybody unhappy, the title should be changed to stop building up my hopes and dreams that somehow the new version was snuck out overnight. Such things could kill a weaker man.

Like that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    This thread is just going to make everybody unhappy, the title should be changed to stop building up my hopes and dreams that somehow the new version was snuck out overnight. Such things could kill a weaker man.

Like that.

Roguelikes never had that much activity on every level happen simultaneously, though. I suspect a lot of people will stick to one level except for pits/stairs in and out.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • GladiGladi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, looking at Tragedy Mule, it struck me- we can now built step pyramid... finally those obsidian short swords will get really usefull... ;-)

Gladi on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gladi wrote: »
    Hmm, looking at Tragedy Mule, it struck me- we can now built step pyramid... finally those obsidian short swords will get really usefull... ;-)

Sacrifices for Huitzilopochtli!

Rhan9 on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else see the video where Toady constructs a bridge above ground level outside the mountain? I submit to such possibilities as: firing posts for dwarf archers (obvious but functional), noble disposal (what a nice balcony... with a trap door that drops you twenty stories into an unsuspecting siege army, causing a massive explosion of deadly noble bone shrapnel and viscera), insane dwarf disposal, water cannons which fire stones, magma cannons which fire magma and flame, etc etc etc. Frankly, I am very dissapointed in myself for highly anticipating such hideous actions... but I can live with that. My enemies, however, will not be able live with angry elephant bombs, noble explosions, crushing flood stones, being burned alive well away from my fortress, to name a few things.

I can't shake the idea of somehow launching elephants through the air or at least dropping them onto enemies.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    ...water cannons which fire stones...
    I :shock:'d at this when you mentioned it, but I don't know physics well enough to say if a large, deep reservoir with a single small tunnel at the bottom would have the kind of explosive force needed to act as an impromptu siege engine.

It would if you had enough water and enough potential energy.

Metalbourne on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd like to see a steam cannon to fire rocks. A magma resevoir, a tunnel stacked with rocks, dump water in the magma and the rocks come flying out like gods own shotgun.

Fleeb on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm-ah making-ah those tiles.
    civil.jpg
    Not really useful in the next version, but probably the one after it?

Mayday on