As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dual monitor issues

HevachHevach Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
I ran a few searches here, and turned up a couple threads, but they failed to help me with this one issue.

When I have a full screen program on my main monitor, any change in resolution also effects the second monitor. It stays at 1024x786, but windows and icons on it are thrown around and sometimes end up off screen to the right or on the main monitor behind the game. It's a pain to get offscreen icons back where they belong sometimes, too. Is there some way to make them stay where I put them? I found some links here on G&T for dual screen software, but so far they all left this problem in place.

My current setup: nVidia 8600 GT with my big monitor, nVidia 6150 LE (onboard crap - almost incapable of gaming) with a small monitor to the right of that.

Hevach on

• Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This happens because desktop icons will default to being placed on your primary monitor.

Ultramon has a save icons position feature that will repply icon positions on startup, but I've never heard of icons defaulting back to the primary monitor when a fullscreen application is being run. Try setting your desktop icons to non-Auto Arrange?

sonictk on
  • Options
    superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ultramon is the best utility for dual monitors. You need it.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What I need is a dual monitor KVM switch so I can switch my two monitors between my two rigs. Anyone know of such a device that won't break my bank? Right now I have this Belkin flip KVM, but it only works for one monitor, so one PC gets two monitors while the other has to deal with one being shared.

sonictk on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ultramon helps a lot, but I'm still having the problem of windows not staying put (Icons at least behave themselves now).

SonicTK: http://www.kvms.com/dual-monitor-kvm-switch.asp

One of those should work for you, but they aren't cheap. Maybe some more searching would turn up something affordable. Alternately, a cheap second KVM might work too - make sure it's one that will work with just the monitor (I've run into some that won't work at all unless all their ports are connected, and others that will just switch what you do plug in).

Hevach on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    supersloth wrote: »
    Ultramon is the best utility for dual monitors. You need it.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Beware: you might get visual latency if you use a KVM, making twitch gaming miserable.

falsedef on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's because the icons are in position for 1024x768, and when the primary monitor resolution changes they move around to be in place as if they WERE still in 1024x768. I get the same problem. Generally, after the resolution changes back, so do the icons. I've only had problems with Rainlendar2 and some games where they move and stay there (and then I can't click on it either..)

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah the only reason I got this Belkin Flip was because I had looked around for KVMs online and wtf over 100 USD?!

I'm not sure that getting a 2nd Flip will work, that's why I don't want to try unless I know it will, but I have never heard of anyone with my setup before, so...

And as far as gaming goes, I can still snipe fine in BF2 and most recently TF2, so I don't really notice any lag here. Of course, I am a non-twitch gamer (sensitivity 0.001) so yea, maybe I might not notice it.

sonictk on
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't believe there is a solution for this. The only way to keep the 2nd monitor's windows in place is to play the game at the same resolution as the desktop. Annoying shit like this is why I've also got a laptop on hand for use when I'm in the middle of a game on my desktop.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png