As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who wants to play DnD

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey hey hey, i am an acrance caster.

Well, a shitty one, but one none the less.

Elven Bard with super-skill thingy majig from PBH II, even though i dont recall exactly what it does.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man guys.

I would like you to meet Truck the Robust.

truck.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2007
    Gregory Rothschild, at your service, so long as there is an after party.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Elven Bard with super-skill thingy majig from PBH II, even though i dont recall exactly what it does.

so what should i be?

mrpaku on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would suggest a druid. They can do healing almost as well as a cleric and nuke almost as well as a wizard. Plus, their animal forms aren't bad, and eventually you get to turn into an elemental, which is cool.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited October 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »

so what should i be?

Step one, is thinking up a character. Dont think mechanics, think personality, and think specificially

"how do i want to be cool"

Then go to "here" and look at the classes. Pick which one you think coordinates best.

I usually do races second, but you can do them first.

The classes are pretty much like they sound. key differences are:

Sorcerers are charisma based and spontanious casters[easier for the first time user]

Wizards are int based and prepare spells

Barbarian, Paladin, ranger, monk, fighter all hit things in various ways.

Dont worry about the PHBII stuff, its not necessary. Ignore prestige classes.

If you want to be halfway between something, let us know and we will help you out.

ed: druids, and clerics are gay. And we already have two people who can heal, so no worries there[me and the cleric]

But mainly think "what is cool" and do that.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    playing a shapeshifting druid from PHBII is one hundred and fifty times less complicated and annoying than wildshaping and having an animal companion.

so if you're gonna be a druid, do that

Pony on
    edited October 2007
    basically i want to know what will balance out our team the best with our current members, since i'm not (currently) knowledgeable enough to really distinguish between what would and wouldn't help the party as it stands right now

as far as character goes, i'm really better at building them after i get a "rough draft" to work on; i'm not married to any idea of who i want to "be" in game, and i would in this case much prefer my party to choose it for me :)

mrpaku on
    edited October 2007
    well, you've got a barbarian tank, a bard buff dude, a cleric healer/buff/secondary combat guy

sounds to me you need either a rogue or a sorc/wiz

someone who can drop it like it's hot

by it

i mean lots of d6s.

Pony on
    edited October 2007
    basically i want to know what will balance out our team the best with our current members, since i'm not (currently) knowledgeable enough to really distinguish between what would and wouldn't help the party as it stands right now

as far as character goes, i'm really better at building them after i get a "rough draft" to work on; i'm not married to any idea of who i want to "be" in game, and i would in this case much prefer my party to choose it for me :)

Screw the party, have fun. Cohesive parties that roll over opposition arent fun anyhow.

We have a bard for christs sake, yea, they suck just about as much as you can imagine. Well, not quite they can be really good at doing specific tasks, but...

ed: what is the starting wealth for a bard anyway?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2007
    if that is the situation, i guess i will go rogue, as long as it's good for everyone else

i'll get to writing up a backstory

mrpaku on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    so pony

starting at level 1?

and are we going to be starting in a free city (where we'd basically be from wherever) or are you going to have something more specific than that?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited October 2007
    one word of caution

you can ask forumers who post here who have played D&D with me (caulk bite especially)

i'm a fuckin' ball-buster.

i run the game on what i like to call "hard mode".

oh, i'm generous with magic loot. i let people do whacky things.

that said, sometimes i just throw you up against encounters that are just a hair or two beyond what i think you are capable of doing.

i consider the "don't throw your players against something with a CR higher than 3 of their average party level" a suggestion at best.

and, if you read the fudge thread, you will know i never fudge. ever. i don't do it to save npcs. and i certainly don't do it to save PCs

just keep that in mind.

Pony on
    edited October 2007

Screw the party, have fun. Cohesive parties that roll over opposition arent fun anyhow.

We have a bard for christs sake, yea, they suck just about as much as you can imagine. Well, not quite they can be really good at doing specific tasks, but...

160 gold.

Hm. I'm not sure about barbariosity if paku's a rogue. Goumin's got a point about unbalanced parties, but without a dedicated arcanist, we might have a fair bit of trouble with some encounters.

But being a level 1 wizard sucks.

INeedNoSalt on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Pony doesn't really play DnD he just throws dice and says you lose

then makes fun of your character's backstory

Obbi on
    edited October 2007

160 gold.

Hm. I'm not sure about barbariosity if paku's a rogue. Goumin's got a point about unbalanced parties, but without a dedicated arcanist, we might have a fair bit of trouble with some encounters.

But being a level 1 wizard sucks.

sorc is a lot easier on new folks. Especially if you learn that your job is not to do damage.

Also, i have no problem running away. Its the better part of valor.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2007
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    so pony

starting at level 1?

and are we going to be starting in a free city (where we'd basically be from wherever) or are you going to have something more specific than that?

here's the campaign standards as such:

Core Books only (PHB, DMG, MM)
    Exception: Feats, spells, and alternate class features from PHBII may be used. The new classes from PHBII (duskblade, dragon shaman, knight, beguiler) may not.
    Ability Scores determined via 28 Standard Point Buy
    Maximum starting gold for each character based on their 1st level class.
    1st level characters.
    Greyhawk is the setting. The setting is of lesser importance to understanding the fundamental concepts and archetypes of D&D. I expect you to know, at least as a player, what a Gnoll is or that only Rogues can search for magical traps. I do not expect you to know the delicate political balance of the Knights of the Hart or who Robilar is.
    Starting location is TBA, but will be in a location that characters from any part of the Flanaess could conceivably be there.

Pony on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    3 pages after 2 hours :P

i would love to play, or possibly DM a homebrew but no time soon.

edit~ saw the I CHOOSE YOU NEEDNOSALTYMON post, o wells maybe next time >.<

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2007
    I am not a realism-oriented DM either.

I tend to be motivated by thematics and fictional relevance and suspension of disbelief.

That said... I don't always adhere to tropes or expecations.

In one of my previous campaigns, the party was being plagued by a Necromancer they thought they had defeated and killed in their very first adventure.

10 levels later, dude is back, with a vengeance. Uses his Orb of Dreams to give the party's wizard regular Nightmares, preventing him from preparing spells.

In the middle of the night, the necromancer walks into the inn where the party is staying, right in the middle of Greyhawk itself. Walks in with a magical music box that casts silence on the area when it is opened. Walks into the bedroom of the party's rogue. Takes out a Rod of Silent Spell. Casts Hold Portal on the windows and doors. Casts ghoul touch on the sleeping Rogue. He fails his save. He lays there, paralyzed, while the necromancer takes off his glove, and uses his undead grafted hand to drain the levels out of the Rogue, 2 levels per round.

The Rogue woke up, of course, from the pain of being level drained. Woke up unable to move. His eyes darting around as this man, this man he thought was dead, stands over him. Calmly, silently, with a hand on his chest so cold it burns.

He can't scream. He's paralyzed. Even if he wasn't, no-one would hear him.

His party members were asleep in the other room. The wizard having nightmares about what was happening right next door.

5 rounds later, and the rogue is a dissicated husk. The necromancer picks up his music box, and quietly leaves. He leaves the door open. The man's possessions intact.

He could've moved to the other rooms, if were so bold. But the point was to send a message.

You are not safe. Anywhere. Ever.

Two days later the Druid turned into a Dire Lion and killed him in a single round.

Ho hum.

Pony on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pony, why arent you using this opportunity to pimp your fantasy/saga system :)

fadingathedges on
    edited October 2007

cause i'm already running a campaign with that.

and people wanted to play D&D

not pony's whacky crazy go nuts supertime

Pony on
    edited October 2007

Its not done yet, it requires everyone to learn new stuff

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2007
    The point of that story above is to make it clear that if I think the villain has the opportunity to ruthlessly go in and kill you in your sleep and there's no logical reason he shouldn't... then that is probably what is going to happen.

Of course, in that story, the Rogue could've succeeded on his save to resist the Ghoul Touch. Of course, then he would've had to tangle with a 14th level sorceror, all on his own, every exit sealed shut, unable to call for help, out of his armor, and without his weapons in arm's reach.

So pretty much I stacked the deck against him to make a dramatic point.

Just keep in mind I do things like that.

Pony on
    edited October 2007
    So do we have to be like constantly on our guard then for horrible necromancers.

INeedNoSalt on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You guys need a fifth player.

Totally.

>_>

Hylianbunny on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    so while this is going on might as well figure in some things to find out

what's that PBP thing you guys were mentioning earlier

Obbi on
    edited October 2007
    Play by post.

Narration post, followed by actions, followed by blah blah blah. Pretty easy to keep up with.

This thread is a good example. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    Oh, hey, Pony, I want to know how you will handle this:

Dwarves get this:

Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

If I play a Dwarf Barbarian (30 feet speed) and put him in Medium armor, will that bring him back down to 20 feet?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2007
    Of course, all that said

there was this one time the party came across an encampment with like 8 evil centaur warriors, 4 hill giants, and 2 wyverns.

they were level 9.

they should've backed down.

the idea was for them to go "shit, this is bad. we should go try to rally the help of that wild elf tribe we befriended"

instead they moved like fuckin' marines and set up attack waves and destroyed the camp in like 4 rounds.

sometimes these things happen.

Pony on
    edited October 2007

Dwarves get this:

Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

If I play a Dwarf Barbarian (30 feet speed) and put him in Medium armor, will that bring him back down to 20 feet?

yes.

because while your dwarf racial ability says you move 20 when in medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load, your class feature specifically says you gotta be in light armor and carrying a light load in order to benefit from +10 speed.

your racial ability just keeps your speed from dipping below 20 is all.

Pony on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I picked a lousy day to sleep late.

Bah.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    if an additional or back-up person is needed, i would gladly join in.

edit: removed something that got answered.

PantheraOnca on
    edited October 2007
    Get in line. :P

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007
    Pony wrote: »

Dwarves get this:

yes.

because while your dwarf racial ability says you move 20 when in medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load, your class feature specifically says you gotta be in light armor and carrying a light load in order to benefit from +10 speed.

The class specifies light or medium armor and not a heavy load.

But if the racial thing doesn't protect him up to 30, then I'll just go with fighter, psht.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2007
    alright i am feeling like i've got big brass balls

secondary party assemble

i choose hylianbunny, devoutelyapathetic, fadingattheedges, and delroland

make characters

same restrictions.

oh also i should add

nobody is allowed to play evil characters.

neutral okay

no evil

no exceptions

Pony on
    edited October 2007

Dwarves get this:

yes.

But if the racial thing doesn't protect him up to 30, then I'll just go with fighter, psht.

Well that's different. I forgot that medium is okay.

If you're in Medium Armor and carrying a light load, you'd get 30 even if the armor says otherwise.

medium or heavy load, back to 20.

Pony on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I call not Rogue.

I can fill any of the other slots, I'm flexible I just hate rogues.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited October 2007
    Awesome.

:^:

Bow rogue's on the way, I think.

Hylianbunny on
    edited October 2007

Dwarves get this:

yes.

Well that's different. I forgot that medium is okay.

If you're in Medium Armor and carrying a light load, you'd get 30 even if the armor says otherwise.

medium or heavy load, back to 20.

Smooooth. :^:

INeedNoSalt on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Get in line. :P

this is what i get for checking out exactly what is in the phb2.

PantheraOnca on